Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The CD is dying

Go down 
+25
T-Roy
sovdat
Troublezone
Chairman_Smith
Fat Freddy
tul
Sutekh
manny
Addy
DallasBlack
snooloui
tohostudios
ZetaReticuli
Eyesore
jstate
Metalgiant
Schbopo
exact33
scottmitchell74
MetalGuy71
Temple of Blood
James B.
Orion Crystal Ice
ultmetal
Gilbert
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage

The CD is dying - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 6:57 pm

I hope some specialty shops will hang around. There's a couple in Portland I hit everytime I go and I still find some treasures.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 6:57 pm

I think they train the FYE and Best Buy people to be idiots in order to speed up the demise of physical media. Yes I am "finding everything OK,". That's not even a proper way to word anything. Go away. I know they are but drones in a larger hive mind, they have the Borg headpieces to prove it. The best part is I can't tell if this is all only paranoia at this point. Has philosophy declared whether our realities can count as very real or not? I mean, it's pretty real to me. It's in my mind, and I believe it. If you tell me something else I will just see it as a lie. I think I'll go read 'The Secret' now and properly arm myself with manifestation.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 7:00 pm

I've always said give me a good set of headphones and play me the same song on CD vs. mp3 and I'll be able to tell you which one was the mp3. Mp3s just don't have the same highs that CDs have IMO. And being a "treble freak", that really annoys me.

Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 7:08 pm

I don't agree. The high-street, small, retail store is dying.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 7:17 pm

Most of my CDs are from used stores and online purchases. As long as the're threre I'll be buying them. Even if the CD store is all but gone. I will never download a CD that I won't eventually purchase, I just love them too much.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 7:30 pm

Soon there will be no more stores at all. Look into your future:

The CD is dying - Page 2 Walmart

Choke it down America!!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 7:36 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
Soon there will be no more stores at all. Look into your future:

The CD is dying - Page 2 Walmart

Choke it down America!!

The CD is dying - Page 2 Icon_rolleyes
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 7:38 pm

The U.S. economy is dying.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 7:42 pm

The CD is dying.
Dimebag is dead.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 7:53 pm

My homies is dying, in my hood, in your hood, in hoods all across the USA. Why brothers gotta keep killing one another?
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 7:57 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Most of my CDs are from used stores and online purchases. As long as the're threre I'll be buying them. Even if the CD store is all but gone. I will never download a CD that I won't eventually purchase, I just love them too much.

This is me too.

Most of the "ma and pa" CD shops around here are gone but as long as I can still get CDs online, I'll continue to do so. Sure it's not quite the same as walking into a store and sampling the esoteric CDs that the store employees have put on "listening posts" but at least we can still buy the real product online.

And with the advent of MySpace, I can find all the "esoteric" bands I want online by myself anyway.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 8:01 pm

plus most cd stores around me dont carry what i want to listen to anyways...

Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 8:12 pm

there is an amazing store in Orlando called Park Avenue CD's. It has CDs, vinyls, underground mags, everything. Metal section leans a bit towards the death metal and post metal side of things, but the used section is huge, there is an amazing experimental/prog section....tons of DVDs... good stuff. And they use those huge old school CD cases with the big handle. I learned about an incredibly vulgar yet hilarious magazine called 'Vice' there and bought an album based off of plant frequencies. I rule.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 8:16 pm

I have an indie record shop called Rainbow that has a pretty good metal section, both new and used. They too tend towards the more extreme metal genres but they have some good melodic stuff too..

scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 8:17 pm

Best CD shop I've ever been in, by far, was in London. HMV I think. It was at Picadilly Circus. They didn't have Metal mixed in with Rock/Pop, but they had a section that was simply called: Metal.

yay!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 8:21 pm

The best used CD shop I've ever encountered was called "Great Escape" in Nashville, TN back in the 80s.

They had a ton of CDs and a ton of listening posts where you could listen to your CD before buying. When I moved to Jackson, TN in the late 80s I would still allocate one weekend a month to drive the 3 hours each way back to Nashville to go to Great Escape.

I don't even know if that store even exists anymore.

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 8:23 pm

I should ammend my above post to say "these days" because if we go back to the 80's or 90's, well, there were some awesome ones.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 8:24 pm

The FYE in a county nearby was really awesome because the metal section was enormous and had a big handpainted sign on it saying so. I got stuff from Rage, Wintersun, Excalion, Sentenced, Grave Digger, Labyrinth, Falconer, Zero Hour, Necrophagist, Dan Swano, Isis......now that I think about it, I got a huge amount of stuff from there. No idea why they had so much good stuff. But I think it's going under because last time I was there the clearance section was..the store. Argh. The CD is dying - Page 2 Icon_cry
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 8:27 pm

I love Walmart. Fantastic store.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 8:30 pm

tohostudios wrote:
The best used CD shop I've ever encountered was called "Great Escape" in Nashville, TN back in the 80s.

They had a ton of CDs and a ton of listening posts where you could listen to your CD before buying. When I moved to Jackson, TN in the late 80s I would still allocate one weekend a month to drive the 3 hours each way back to Nashville to go to Great Escape.

http://www.thegreatescapeonline.com

Nothing comes up when you click on the CD links, though.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 8:30 pm

Eyesore wrote:

which is funny because my wally world has nada...

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 8:32 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Best CD shop I've ever been in, by far, was in London. HMV I think. It was at Picadilly Circus. They didn't have Metal mixed in with Rock/Pop, but they had a section that was simply called: Metal.

yay!

The best CD place around here was Virgin Megastore before they shut down (although they did have metal mixed in with rock/pop-but the amount of metal was unbelievable).

A Sam Goddy at a mall in Ft. Worth has started a metal section and while nowhere near the amount of metal as Virgin, it does have a respectable amount (and they also carry used CDs). However, I only go there when I get out of school early because it's a little out of the way.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 8:32 pm

Eyesore wrote:

For black t-shirts, socks, potato wedges, black hoodies, soap & toothpaste...
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 8:35 pm

The CD is dying - Page 2 447763 The CD is dying - Page 2 543534 The CD is dying - Page 2 692390
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 8:36 pm

Eyesore wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

http://www.thegreatescapeonline.com

Nothing comes up when you click on the CD links, though.

Man, thanks for that link! (Proves I'm not making this smurf poo up).

Shame it doesn't appear to have been updated lately which only lend credence to the title of this thread.

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The CD is dying
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next