Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The CD is dying

Go down 
+25
T-Roy
sovdat
Troublezone
Chairman_Smith
Fat Freddy
tul
Sutekh
manny
Addy
DallasBlack
snooloui
tohostudios
ZetaReticuli
Eyesore
jstate
Metalgiant
Schbopo
exact33
scottmitchell74
MetalGuy71
Temple of Blood
James B.
Orion Crystal Ice
ultmetal
Gilbert
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

The CD is dying - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 8:36 pm

Quote :
A Sam Goddy at a mall in Ft. Worth has started a metal section and while nowhere near the amount of metal as Virgin, it does have a respectable amount (and they also carry used CDs). However, I only go there when I get out of school early because it's a little out of the way.

I've been there, DB, that very one.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 8:36 pm

S wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
I love Walmart. Fantastic store.

For black t-shirts, socks, potato wedges, black hoodies, soap & toothpaste...

my wally world is all nascar stuff... they dont even hardly carry food thats not somehow nascar themed...

scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 8:40 pm

Ha, that's funny Exact.

I like Wal Mart for what it is. It's a place that saves my family and I loads of $$.

Mine has ultra-mega crap CD selection, however.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 8:43 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Ha, that's funny Exact.

I like Wal Mart for what it is. It's a place that saves my family and I loads of $$.

I have all but given up on Wal-Mart for CDs and DVDs but everything else I prefer to get from there due to the affordabliity (and my 10% off general merchandise The CD is dying - Page 3 Icon_biggrin ).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 8:45 pm

You guys are nuts. WalMart sucks ass. How can a store with so many items have so few worthwhile items?
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 8:47 pm

Quote :

You guys are nuts. WalMart sucks ass. How can a store with so many items have so few worthwhile items?

But you're 19 and don't have a family to look after, Schmoopy. The CD is dying - Page 3 Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 8:51 pm

It does contain many items for me to eat. Most stores, I will not set foot into if they do not include this feature.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 8:54 pm

S wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

I want a Walmart girl? The CD is dying - Page 3 201269

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 8:56 pm

ultmetal wrote:
S wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

I want a Walmart girl? The CD is dying - Page 3 201269

not one from my wally world! The CD is dying - Page 3 78889

Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 8:58 pm

Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 8:58 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Ha, that's funny Exact.

we have some local stores that are beating the pants off wally world for price now. Its amazing they built this big huge super wally world and managed to have less stuff in it...

and what is up with the new packaging on their own store brand? It looks the way rations are packaged...

manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 9:27 pm

I donot think the physical CD will disappear all together but both ToB and S correct in the reasons why CD's are disappearing. Also factor in the fact that alot of major bands go on many tours and some even for decades without creating or at least releasing any new music.

Record labels and their over priced CD's did not help, not to mention their business practices that has driven artists such as Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails, and many others to abandon major record labels.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 9:44 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
My homies is dying, in my hood, in your hood, in hoods all across the USA. Why brothers gotta keep killing one another?

Either they don't show...don't know...or don't care about what was goin' on in the hood.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 10:05 pm

Quote :
and what is up with the new packaging on their own store brand? It looks the way rations are packaged...

I get made fun of by my wife and co-workers, but I completely love generic packaging. Brown paper bags as well. I remember camping and eating generic Beef Stew with the white and blue label.
Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 2:10 am

manny wrote:

Record labels and their over priced CD's did not help, not to mention their business practices that has driven artists such as Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails, and many others to abandon major record labels.

This is a good point. In Australia, CDs have always been around the AU$30 mark for a new release. It's only since physical sales began falling that new releases have (in some cases) gone to $23 (unless you're buying from a Kmart). Hardcore fans within most genres will prefer to collect a physical product, so there will always be a market for CDs.
There's an interesting article with Trent Reznor here where he looks at the overpricing of certain genres/artists compared to pop, and concludes that the labels' business practices have contributed to the problem.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 3:39 pm

Metalgiant wrote:
Maybe it seems to die in some places but I do think the Rock- and Metallabels will continue making CD`s.

I will never buy an album as download. Never!!!!!
I have good HIFI system at home and will never listen to music on my Computer only.

If bands will decide to offer only downloads well they will loose me as customer then.

Totally agree
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 3:42 pm

The prices are still high. I have to agree with that. It's costy to keep you collection updated.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 3:45 pm

It's nice to see that FYE has been sticking to their $9.99 or less format. I've purchased more releases there in the last few months than I have, well, ever.

Metal student
Metal student
tul

Number of posts : 234

PostSubject: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 6:29 pm

If I remember it correct, 545 million CDs were sold 2008 or 2009. That is still quite a lot. So it will be a long road before its dead.
However if someone pays maybe 80-100 Dollars/Euros for his/her mobile phone than he/she won't have money for CDs, legal downloads anymore ... . There is a joke: paying 14 bucks for a CD with 50 minutes of music is way to expensive. I better pay 4,99 for one or a few ring tones, that is much cheaper ... (of course that includes subscriptions, this means I have to pay much more, but nevermind).

In Germany 300 million songs were downloaded illegally during the last year. But even if you count one song one Euro music sales would still be much lower than during the 90s.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 10:04 pm

"The CD is dying."

In other news... the sun is hot, and water is wet...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 1:28 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
The U.S. economy is dying.

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 1:33 am

Before they die out, they should price all CDs at $5.00... The CD is dying - Page 3 Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 1:37 am

If CDs stop being made, i'm not sure i'm going to be getting any new releases anymore. Hopefully there will be a underground cd market still making CDs and selling them at shows or websites independently.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 7:53 am

Troublezone wrote:
Before they die out, they should price all CDs at $5.00... The CD is dying - Page 3 Icon_smile

Amen.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 8:40 am

CDs are "dying" in terms of major label sales...major labels saying "dying" are really saying (as someone already pointed out) "we only sold 500 million CDs last year"...that doesn't sound like "dying"...it sounds like they're not selling as much as they were...which they aren't...and that they're crying about it...which they are. We have to remember that major record labels have nothing to do with music...they are corporations who look at the bottom line on the quarterly report and wonder "how do we make that number bigger". When they number gets smaller for several quarters in a row, even if "small" is 500 million units as an industry, they start to panic...context.

When bands like Rush or NIN announce that they are making something "download only", I think the underlying sentiment is something like "we used to sell 5 million CDs...now we only sell 900,000 CDs...Cds are dying". The context is completely different. Of course it looks to you like they're "dying"...but 900,000 CDs is a lot of fleckin' CDs. The other reasons you're "only" selling 900,000 CDs? A- you're a band that's been around for decades (nobody stays on top forever), B- the music you make isn't as mainstream as it once may have been, C- your audience is getting older with other things to spend their money on (and who honestly may have even forgotten about you)...context.

I remember Hootie & The Blowfish selling 14 million copies of their debut album and it being heralded (at the time) as the biggest selling debut album in history. They were the biggest band in the country. Fast forward to album number 2. It sold something like 7 million copies. "Only 7 million copies" I kept hearing...it was considered a failure...context.

Every time we have these discussions, we always come back to saying "the market is there...it's just smaller". Metal fans (at least the ones who post on forums like ours) want something they can hold in their hands...box sets, special editions, EPs, etc. Now, that said, it may go into "I want physical copies of my favorite bands, and others I can go digital on"...which means less CD sales too...but in some small way, the CD format will continue to be alive in the Metal scene somewhere.

As a scene, we have to think in smaller numbers. We can't think "oh, major label artists are not making CDs anyore...it's obviously dying". Well, on a large, mass-marketed scale that may be the case. But as a format, CD players are still put in cars, DVD & Blu-Ray players play CDs, computers still have CD drives. They're still here and it'll be a long time before they're totally vanquished. As a scene, Metal people want CDs (or something physical) for their money. My son who is 16 years old WANTS CDs of his favorite bands...so do a couple of his friends. Physical formats may not be clogging up Best Buy shelves anymore, but they're still available to those who do want them....just on a smaller scale.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The CD is dying
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next