Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New AS I LAY DYING samples

Go down 
+8
KissinMaiden
caniplaywithmadness?
GrandNational
Chairman_Smith
mc666
SideShowDisaSter
Troublezone
ultmetal
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

New AS I LAY DYING samples Empty
PostSubject: New AS I LAY DYING samples   New AS I LAY DYING samples Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 9:07 am

You can hear the entire album on their MySpace:
http://www.myspace.com/asilaydying

Thoughts?

I gave it a listen. Sounds like every other metalcore band to me. Lacks
dynamics and hooks. Some cool guitar riffs. Vocals are
generic sounding metalcore tripe. The opening riff from "Nothing Left"
sounds like Metallica's "Blackend". I was surprised to hear a guitar solo in "Nothing Left", although it was rather short and simple. It's just not something I would
personally listen to, so I'll pass.

By the way, As I Lay Dying are doing meet and greets at your local mall at the Hot Topic stores. I guess that is mostly their fan base, Hot Topic kids wearing baggy jugalo pants. Suspect
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: New AS I LAY DYING samples   New AS I LAY DYING samples Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 9:13 am

Ohhhh, was that a blast beat I heard in the middle of "Within Destruction"? I guess that is slightly better than the typical metalcore 'breakdowns'.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: New AS I LAY DYING samples   New AS I LAY DYING samples Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 9:24 am

I don't think i could handle listening to a whole album of that kind of vocals. Within Destruction is the best musically i think.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: New AS I LAY DYING samples   New AS I LAY DYING samples Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 9:44 am

I'll pass

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: New AS I LAY DYING samples   New AS I LAY DYING samples Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 9:45 am

SideShowDisaSter wrote:
I'll pass

Did you listen to the samples SideShow?
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: New AS I LAY DYING samples   New AS I LAY DYING samples Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 11:54 am

i like it & don't own a single pair of baggy "jugalo" pants. i've never shopped at hot topic either, not that that means anything. i've always liked this band & have never had anything against metalcore. the vocals aren't much different than that of Kreator to my ears. (no i didn't say they sounded like Kreator).

given your pre determined stance on metalcore, at least you were open minded enough to give it a listen before you decided not to like it. cheers.

edit:
https://heartofmetal.niceboard.com/Main-Forum-Area-c1/Heart-Of-Metal-f1/As-I-Lay-Dying-t1702.htm

Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: New AS I LAY DYING samples   New AS I LAY DYING samples Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 12:46 pm

For some reason when I see a band name with more then two words in it, I become skeptical.

Exceptions include;
Temple of Brutality
Stormtroopers of Death and Method of Destruction (if that counts)
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: New AS I LAY DYING samples   New AS I LAY DYING samples Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 12:57 pm

mc666 wrote:
i like it & don't own a single pair of baggy "jugalo" pants. i've never shopped at hot topic either, not that that means anything. i've always liked this band & have never had anything against metalcore. the vocals aren't much different than that of Kreator to my ears. (no i didn't say they sounded like Kreator).

given your pre determined stance on metalcore, at least you were open minded enough to give it a listen before you decided not to like it. cheers.

Oh, I'll listen to most anything at least once. I don't hate all metalcore. I like Living Sacrifice' "Reborn" quite a bit. I did listen to the entire album on MySpace. That's actually a very cool idea to give people a chance to hear the music. As I Lay Dying don't suck, it's just not my cup-of-tea I guess.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: New AS I LAY DYING samples   New AS I LAY DYING samples Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 1:06 pm

ultmetal wrote:
SideShowDisaSter wrote:
I'll pass

Did you listen to the samples SideShow?

Yah, it's alright I suppose, but just not my thing.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: New AS I LAY DYING samples   New AS I LAY DYING samples Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 1:31 pm

My cd is on its way. More than anything, I think this band tours like it's no ones business. It can get very monotonous at times, but some days it just hits the spot. And no Ult, I've never bought anything at Hot Topic either, although I've seen some old school Iron Maiden/Judas Priest shirts that I have been tempted to get.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: New AS I LAY DYING samples   New AS I LAY DYING samples Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 1:47 pm

I actually HAVE purchased something from Hot Topic. Bought a SPINAL TAP patch for my denim vest. :D

They seriously are doing meet and greets at some Hot Topic stores.

Metal master
Metal master
caniplaywithmadness?

Number of posts : 515

PostSubject: Re: New AS I LAY DYING samples   New AS I LAY DYING samples Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 3:19 pm

excuse my englishness, but what is hot topic?
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: New AS I LAY DYING samples   New AS I LAY DYING samples Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 3:24 pm

caniplaywithmadness? wrote:

It's mostly a trendy store that teens shop at so that they can "dress goth" or "look metal", etc. They sell clothing, music, belts, accessories, etc. Not really a bad store, but you can't go into one without seeing a crowd of teenagers all trying to "be different" yet all looking exactly the same.

Check it out: http://www.hottopic.com/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New AS I LAY DYING samples   New AS I LAY DYING samples Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 6:49 pm

Yeah, this is typical metalcore. I mentioned this elsewhere, didn't I? Or was that a different forum? Either way, nothing original, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. I thought it had a lot of hooks, too, which is pretty much the most important thing to me.
Back to top Go down
KissinMaiden
Metal master
Metal master
KissinMaiden

Number of posts : 688

PostSubject: Re: New AS I LAY DYING samples   New AS I LAY DYING samples Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2007 12:05 am

The only song i like is "The Darkest Nights", really catchy and I like the music video.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: New AS I LAY DYING samples   New AS I LAY DYING samples Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2007 6:04 am

ultmetal wrote:
I actually HAVE purchased something from Hot Topic. Bought a SPINAL TAP patch for my denim vest. :D

They seriously are doing meet and greets at some Hot Topic stores.

I got the last Maiden album there for $10, as well as a shirt with the artwork. I also grabbed Metallica's Justice shirt there. They are good for metal shirts.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New AS I LAY DYING samples   New AS I LAY DYING samples Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2007 11:51 am

I've bought a few exclusive EPs and compilations from Hot Topic. I have no shame! I'll buy from their. I've also bought a few shirts from them, but I have to go XXXL there because everything runs emo. They had a Pyromania shirt once and a shirt for the old hardcore band Judge that I really wanted, but only size L, which is a medium in emo.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: New AS I LAY DYING samples   New AS I LAY DYING samples Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2007 11:59 am

ultmetal wrote:
caniplaywithmadness? wrote:

It's mostly a trendy store that teens shop at so that they can "dress goth" or "look metal", etc. They sell clothing, music, belts, accessories, etc. Not really a bad store, but you can't go into one without seeing a crowd of teenagers all trying to "be different" yet all looking exactly the same.

Check it out: http://www.hottopic.com/

Meh, these young whippersnappers today don't know how good they have it. When *I* was a lad, we didn't HAVE trendy "metal" stores right in the mall! I had to go to a booth at a flea market on the bad side of town to buy my band T-shirts and imported metal albums!!
Of course, Hot Topic doesn't sell bootleg live LPs, water pipes ("for use with tobacco products ONLY" of course) or adult comic books like the flea market guy did, so maybe I didn't have it so bad after all.
lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New AS I LAY DYING samples   New AS I LAY DYING samples Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2007 11:36 pm

This band blows
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: New AS I LAY DYING samples   New AS I LAY DYING samples Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2007 12:32 am

defender_of_the_faith wrote:
This band blows
your mind? surprised

PostSubject: Re: New AS I LAY DYING samples   New AS I LAY DYING samples Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2007 1:48 am

defender_of_the_faith wrote:
This band blows
Please, if you've got nothing worthwhile to say, just don't.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: New AS I LAY DYING samples   New AS I LAY DYING samples Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2007 2:02 am

I've heard a lot of bands a whole lot worse than these guys. They're alright, they don't blow.
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

PostSubject: Re: New AS I LAY DYING samples   New AS I LAY DYING samples Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2007 9:40 am

I love the new album. Some great guitar riffs here. It is by far their best yet to me out of the three I own. This doesn't sound like most of the "metalcore" bands I've heard, which I grant isn't a whole lot. Not my favorite genre of music. I do like some sometimes though.
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

PostSubject: Re: New AS I LAY DYING samples   New AS I LAY DYING samples Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2007 9:43 am

Oh yeah another thing I really respect about this band is their unabashed faith. They don't try and hide that they're devout Christians in any interview, no matter it be a secular or Christian mag.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: New AS I LAY DYING samples   New AS I LAY DYING samples Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2007 12:11 pm

i saw this band as a support band and my dad thought they were good. the drummer is monstrously good but apart from that they kinda sucked. i remeber my sister met the lead singer because she thought he was "fit". the headliners bullet for my valentine were not that much better lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New AS I LAY DYING samples   New AS I LAY DYING samples Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New AS I LAY DYING samples
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next