Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The CD is dying

Go down 
+25
T-Roy
sovdat
Troublezone
Chairman_Smith
Fat Freddy
tul
Sutekh
manny
Addy
DallasBlack
snooloui
tohostudios
ZetaReticuli
Eyesore
jstate
Metalgiant
Schbopo
exact33
scottmitchell74
MetalGuy71
Temple of Blood
James B.
Orion Crystal Ice
ultmetal
Gilbert
29 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

The CD is dying Empty
PostSubject: The CD is dying   The CD is dying Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 4:16 pm

I believe this topic may have been previously raised, but i can't seem to find it.

The CD is really dying. Three local CD shops where i used to shop for Metal have closed for good. The reason? Internet and pirated copies mostly. Nobody buys CDs anymore.

That's too bad.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

The CD is dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 4:17 pm

There are only a handful of stores left here, and they specialize in CDs and vinyl, so they cater more to collector's. Most of the smaller shops are gone now. Sucks really! The end of an era.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

The CD is dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 4:28 pm

Is there a good (objectively good) reason why?

Why do we pick on a format which is compatible with today's technology and allows easy PHYSICAL storage superior to vinyls which are easily damaged or USB's which are easily lost or erased? Why eradicate this particular technology when we have something as arguably dated and a nuisance in design and use as the Kindle, selling a ton, and still other things we need more in life refuse to evolve for the better?

Discuss.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

The CD is dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 4:44 pm

I will vote for sound over storage everytime! Vinyl kicks @$$ over cds period. The only reason I own cds is because you can't listen to vinyl in a car/truck without some technical difficulties... and they sound better than cassette tapes. Downloads and USB devices sound like crap and no form of convenience outweighs that, at least to me. My .02

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

The CD is dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 4:44 pm

Internet killed the video star.
Back to top Go down

The CD is dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 4:50 pm

Gilbert wrote:
The reason? Nobody buys CDs anymore.

That's THE reason. Now, why nobody buys CDs has many layers to it...to say it's "Internet and pirated copies mostly" is misleading and assumptive.

Reasons CDs don't sell like they used to:

- Culture (audience) - the up and coming generation wants singles on their smartphones...not CDs on their shelves

- Culture (business model) - the music industry is trying to run a mid-20th century model in the 21st century...things changed and they resisted...

- Price - Cds are still, by and large, $15 each...after nearly 30 years in existence...why?

- Internet (Legal) - iTunes, eMusic, AOL Music, Rhapsody, Walmart digital, Amazon MP3, etc and other legal downloading alternatives have cut into CD sales

- Internet (illegal) - yes, people do steal music...but it's a widely held notion that those who do would not have bought the CD anyway, so it's not a lost sale

- Blind buying - nobody does it anymore. These days of MySpace, 24 hour digital music channels on TV, iTunes samples, etc causes people to be more selevtive of what they buy. They can hear it first whereas in the old days, you had to buy the CD/Tape to hear something other than the single/video...ie "blind buying"...with all the preview options available, blind buying is dead...no blind buying = low sales

- Piracy (making/selling mass quantities of copies) - this has always gone on in many countries...it's just cheaper and easier to do these days than it was 20 years ago.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

The CD is dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 4:56 pm

Quote :
a widely held notion that those who do would not have bought the CD anyway, so it's not a lost sale

And along with a lot of other "widely held notions" it's not proven in any way, shape, or form.
Back to top Go down

The CD is dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 4:56 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Quote :
a widely held notion that those who do would not have bought the CD anyway, so it's not a lost sale

And along with a lot of other "widely held notions" it's not proven in any way, shape, or form.

Including that downloading is killing CD sales...
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

The CD is dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 4:57 pm

?
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

The CD is dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 4:59 pm

S wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
Quote :

Including that downloading is killing CD sales...

I just like how above you said "it's a widely held notion" then you concluded ... "so it's not a lost sale." Gimme a break.

Downloading has got to be a factor. The lone factor? No. The biggest factor? Maybe, though probably not.

I contend that the single biggest factor is "diversity of entertainment options due to the prevalence of digital media". Saying it is unequivocably not a lost sale is ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

The CD is dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 4:59 pm

I'm don't think they'll ever go away completely, but they're certainly declining in sales, which will eventually lead to their decline in production and manufacturing. Like vinyl, the compact disc will be kept around for a target group of collectors. I think we're still a long way away for that though.

Yes, places like Walmart and Target that sell other merchandise will phase out the cd racks for more marketable product, but some music-based retailers will probably remain for awhile longer.

As for the independents, well, I guess the market will decide their fate. Rising costs to remain a "brick & morter" store will have to be balanced out with sales and that's probably not going to happen.

I've noticed that the last place I frequent has been getting more dvd's in stock over cd's and I've been buying less and less. The reason being, even though he has tons of music, it's mostly "common" stuff that I already own. The days of finding hidden gems is becoming even more rare. Folks that have decided to sell off their collections and go all digital have already done so and anything good has been picked through. Guys that have good or rare music are either holding on to them or selling them off on-line.

I'll miss the days of searching through racks and boxes to find something cool. Just going to Amazon and buying it outright doesn't have the same thrill. Like Lemmy said "the chase is better than the catch".

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

The CD is dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 5:03 pm

I've noticed that Metalguy. A few years ago I did a full-city pawn shop search and uncovered tons of gems. Now, there aren't any. I get the occassional one at Hastings (they buy used cds) but it's very rare.

I for one, will buy cds to the very end. I love them. I love vinyl as well, but they aren't as portable.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

The CD is dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 5:12 pm

Out of Shawns list, I feel like the first (Culture/audience) is the most significant. Why they feel the need to not own albums but at the same time trumpet their supposed non conforming musical freedom thanks to the Internet is suspicious. To that end I think a pop fan will almost always stay a pop fan, they *don't* actually exercise much 'freedom of what to listen to', but they DO exercise 'freedom of how to listen what's shoved at them' and so that group of that section is going to be hurting the big huge fat labels with their need for downloads, singles etc no matter what. It does feel like there is more of them now and so they have a louder voice. BUT at the same time is there not a competing market? Namely the metal fans, audiophiles, etc, which the continuing reign of the Internet has grown into armies as opposed to mere minions if you were to look at 10 years ago. So do the labels who have music we are fans of feel we have their back? I remember a point where I suddenly starting seeing all this metal sitting in the FYE or Best Buy where I hadn't before, and it wasn't but a couple of years ago. Will the labels ironically follow the pressure AGAIN of the fat cats and drop physical media? Will it go, oddly enough, to vinyl? In any case, I don't want to pay all the time for what a bunch of spoiled people who barely even like music want.........the other things on that list, something like price can be easily remedied and many labels and stores already do it, love that $9-$12 price tag. Downloads, that will always be there because there will always be people who suddenly woke up one day and decided that if they could do a thing, then they should do a thing. But I do feel like the main thing is just a massive spread of......disinterest in music and art in general. They just don't care, but why should I not care..people with little interest in a passion or hobby shouldn't be able to dictate how it works for those into said passion or hobby.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

The CD is dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 5:23 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
Out of Shawns list, I feel like the first (Culture/audience) is the most significant.

totally agree. most younger people buying music want mp3s and immediate satisfaction. They dont like getting metal mail...

Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

The CD is dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 5:27 pm

Formats die out and get replaced. It happens. It's not that people just plain don't want them anymore, it's that we're in the middle of the transition period. I still buy CD's, but that's only because the quality is good and I enjoy getting artwork, notes, etc. I really couldn't care less if I'm "supporting the artist" or whatever. It's the digital age, and I can't find anything wrong with legal downloads as the new format of choice.

But the thing about CD's is that they're a good format. They're compact and good quality, so you know that eventually they'll come back around. I'm keeping all of mine, and I'll keep blowing every cent I make on them until the day they stop being made.
Back to top Go down
Metalgiant
Metal novice
Metal novice
Metalgiant

Number of posts : 78

The CD is dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 5:35 pm

Maybe it seems to die in some places but I do think the Rock- and Metallabels will continue making CD`s.

I will never buy an album as download. Never!!!!!
I have good HIFI system at home and will never listen to music on my Computer only.

If bands will decide to offer only downloads well they will loose me as customer then.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

The CD is dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 5:38 pm

Quote :
Culture (audience) - the up and coming generation wants singles on their smartphones

I think that's cyclical and the "full album" format (in some form or another) will come back. In the 50's and early 60's, the music industry based itself on singles too, but bands like the Beatles, Floyd and Zeppelin made it a "whole album" experience and didn't rely on singles. It may be awhile, but I could see it coming around again.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

The CD is dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 5:58 pm

Along with all the places closing, I also find that the majority of people shopping for music tend to be 30+. Sad to think of future generations not discovering the joy of actually going through music in a store. I've also heard way too many times "why buy it, when it's free on-line". At my local Hastings they will have amazing sales and the music department will still be empty. But man, will the people line up to get their video games.

I've also found the pawn shop circuit dried up. But I think that is more a function of them just not taking them any longer.

If you ever want to see the way things were go to Amoeba in LA. I don't know why, but that place is always packed and the people are buying CDs. It's like a cool timewarp or something. Funny thing is their prices are only okay and it's hard to go through everything. But I love going there almost as much for the atmosphere as the music.

Somewhat related, what drives me insane is when I try to do a search about a group or album looking for a review or info and what pops up - dozens of those blog sites with the download.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

The CD is dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 6:02 pm

Shops in Boston have all but disappeared. And sadly, online retailers often charge too much.
Back to top Go down
ZetaReticuli
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ZetaReticuli

Number of posts : 454

The CD is dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 6:05 pm

So what do you think? ...in 5 years, will the CD still be around? Will bands still be around? This thing even has me worried.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

The CD is dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 6:08 pm

ZetaReticuli wrote:
So what do you think? ...in 5 years, will the CD still be around? Will bands still be around? This thing even has me worried.

Good question.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

The CD is dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 6:12 pm

ZetaReticuli wrote:
CDs will still be around. Not as long as vinyl, though.

The only thing that sucks about MP3s and such is that you don't get the booklets, that interactive part of the experience. I think artwork and digital booklets should be standard.

I like being able to go to a CD and see who's in the band, if I need to. Can't do that through my external hard drive. I mean, I could spend years plugging all that info into the song ID, but...yeah, screw that! Haha. It'd be cool if MP3 players had a sort of e-reader part to it where listeners could see all the info that's included in print booklets.

(Unless they already are. I've yet to switch over to the digital realm, so I may be talking about things that already exist. Haha.)
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

The CD is dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 6:17 pm

My fear has leveled off some but I still take the approach that I better buy things while I still can (mostly the older OOP stuff). I'm much more worried for future releases these days because a lot of bands are calling it quits.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

The CD is dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 6:17 pm

ZetaReticuli wrote:

I think what Metalgiant said will be the case - metal labels, being the niche market that they are, will either have to convince consumers to go digital or keep pressing cds. I think it will be the latter.

I do think the days of retailing cds will be gone in the next five years but the online presence might keep cds from becoming extinct. At some point the popular Top 40 stuff will be all digital but since i dont buy it - let em have it any way they want it.

The CD is dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 6:33 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

I just like how above you said "it's a widely held notion" then you concluded ... "so it's not a lost sale." Gimme a break.

It's not a 1 for 1 deal...I never said it was absolutely not a lost sale...it's some...but it's not synchronous.

Temple of Blood wrote:
Downloading has got to be a factor. The lone factor? No. The biggest factor? Maybe, though probably not.

Which is exactly my point...thanks.

Temple of Blood wrote:
I contend that the single biggest factor is "diversity of entertainment options due to the prevalence of digital media". Saying it is unequivocably not a lost sale is ridiculous.

I never said anything unequivocably...and I agree with your diversity point.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The CD is dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The CD is dying
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next