Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal

Go down 
+15
MetalGuy71
krokus
fingers
caniplaywithmadness?
Fat Freddy
zombiewalkin
kmorg
ultmetal
Thrasher73
Smindas
TheGooch
mc666
SAHB Healer
Lurideath
Required Fields
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28414

Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal Empty
PostSubject: Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal   Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 12:18 am

Here are a few:

"Pantera are racist. I mean, they're all white and they come from the South." (Pantera have actually played with several bands who have non-white members live.)

"No, I'm not into Nazi music." (Someone being asked about German power metal.)

"Slayer and other death metal bands are completely insensitive and uncaring people. It's all about the money for them." (Remember the case where the parents of some chick who was murdered sued Slayer because the killers were fans? This is what the girl's dad said one time. Since he is filing a lawsuit against them, isn't he concerned about making money? If that's not being hypocritical, I don't want to know what is. Also, Slayer are not even close to death metal, but that's another story.)

"This song is encouraging children to mutilate their parents for Satan and put the remains in garbage bags." (Somebody's parents on the Metallica song "Blackened", which is an anti-environmental destruction song.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan

PostSubject: Re: Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal   Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 12:47 am

"It's just a fashion statement. It'll never last". (Although it was mainly directed at the HC I was deeply into at the time, that was one of the last things my parents said before I moved out at the age of 14 - that was 24 years ago! I would if I will ever hear a retraction?)
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3891

PostSubject: Re: Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal   Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 1:28 am

"Everything metal is evil" (I used to hear this all the time)

"Metal is dead" (This was being said on MTV in 1993 or 94. Not sure which year but I sat there laughing at those saying it as they were dressed in flannel and looking stupid)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal   Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 1:35 am

"Oh, you listen to Black Sabbath??? Why don't you go and paint your nails black" - from a 'buddy' of mine who enjoys to Simon & Garfunkel...such a douche comment.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal   Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 1:54 am

My big one by far is when non-metal critics from MTV or Rolling Stone get together and vote on who the greatest Metal Band of all time is. It ALWAYS comes up Led Zeppelin. They were a great band, yes. But all these polls say is that they are the favorite Metal band of people who don't know anything about Metal. Most Metal fans wouldn't even consider them a Metal band per se anymore (Hard rock). In the poll thread elsewhere on this site, I listed them 5th and qualified even that. I'm so sick of seeing those critic's polls I could puke.

The idea that Metal is something that one should eventually grow out of is very tedious as well. I think growing as a music fan is good, but these people who all of a sudden start listening to exclusively "adult" music prove they were nothing but poseurs to begin with.

The backward lyric conspiracy theories were silly as well. There are so many bands that say extremely distasteful things FORWARD, and plainly printed on the lyric sheet, that I don't see how saying anything backwards could be any worse.

And finally, even though I am hugely into proto hard rock and heavy blues rock; I still get sick of hearing that ALL Metal comes from Blues music, and just ripped off the Blues. That might have been pretty much true in about 1968; but hard rock started heading off in all sorts of progressive directions soon after that, incorporating al sorts of influences; And now much of the best metal owes more to classical than any other influence. But I still hear people spout the old "Blues rip-off line"; as if it somehow discounts the validity of all Metal.

Sorry, you hit a nerve here. Yes, people say stupid things indeed!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal   Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 2:11 am

"That sounds like Metallica! And not as good."

Every single one of my friends that don't listen to metal say that exact same thing any time I put on a metal CD. It could be Nevermore, Iced Earth, Angra, Brainstorm, whatever.

"That sounds like Metallica! And not as good."
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal   Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 2:29 am

"heavy metal is written, performed, & marketed to teens, who need something to rebel against their parents, jesus, & society at large." from the newspaper USA Today.

TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal   Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 5:34 am

I really enjoyed download this year, however I was getting sick of the constant torrent of abuse from people for just walking past them. To me this behaviour is the exact same as chavs/neds.

Personally I enjoy music from people much any type of genre but it seems that if you don't conform to the way metallers look and listen to only metal music then your scum. Surely you have to take a step back and look at how your behaving and see that your no better than the chavs/neds.

Now i've also heard that people were attacked for no reason ither than the way they looked.

Doesn't anyone think this whole emo hating attitude has gone too far. In my opinion the whole 'hate emo' attitude is just another pathetic way of people conforming to something which makes the metallers hypocrites since they are supposedly about individualism.

The emo jokes are now wearing extremely thin i mean you can only say the same joke so many times before it just isn't funny anymore.

i got this from the download festival forum
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal   Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 7:37 am

No offence to your friends Eyesore, but anyone who says Angra sounds like Metallica has to be a bit of a tool :P

Anyway, back when I was like 13 and I told people I liked metal, I'd get comments like "so do you kill small animals in your basement?". "hilarious". Also, I know plenty of people who regard metal as "slit your wrists" music. Clearly the most narrow-minded statement ever.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal   Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 8:46 am

"It all sounds the same"-thats been said by my wife,parents,etc.
I cant understand why they think Overkill sounds just like Savatage
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal   Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 9:19 am

"Christian Metal? Oh, Bullcorn! There is no such thing as Christian metal. It's all just incantations and chanting..."
said by the pastor of the church I was attending in the early 1990's. I still have that quote on tape. He also made claim that Tourniquet's "Stop the Bleeding" was a negative remark about the blood of Christ and that One Bad Pig's "Swine Flew" was a song lifting up disease.

lol!
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal   Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 10:46 am

Yeah. On the other hand, I know a black metal freak who thinks Christian metal is an oxymoron because of his strong hatred for all things Christian. He hates Trouble's first three albums, and only likes the last three. People said, "If early Trouble was praising Satan, you'd be loving that smurf poo." He refuses to consider any Christian metal band "metal". He even refuses to consider Gamma Ray and Devastation metal because they have songs that can be interpreted as Christian.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal   Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 11:16 am

Me and ult, among others, had a discussion with this felow about the origins of Heavy Metal, and what "real" metal was. He had so many ridiculous things to say, so I don't remember them all, but here is what ultmetal put on his Wall of Shame:

Quote :
You don't know s**t about heavy metal! I do think my opinion carries weight since I've been into metal for 20+ years. My friend has been in it longer than I have by at least 5 years. So you're going up against 40+ years combined Metal expierence if you wanna "fight" about it! Why have Peter Gabriel on a metal page? Judas Priest are not heavy metal. They are hard rock! I like the song "Turbo Lover" and I appreciate the sentinent expressed in the song "Parental Guidance" but that's about it. I've heard their stuff from the 70's - musically it's just to dry to me anyways. It's not METAL in my book. I will certainly agree with HARD ROCK, just not METAL.
Judas Priest is BLUE OYSTER BAR METAL maybe? I will agree the album "TURBO" was much more metal than the stuff they did in the 70s. I HATE "Breaking the Law" -- what the heck is so "Metal" about THAT song? Judas Priest was always described with a term called "British Steel" - which to me was never fully "Metal". Frankly, I never fully considered Scorpions, Raven, or Trouble metal either. They have some Metal influence - but they often lack the "edge" that bands like Iron Maiden, Savatage, Manowar, etc. have.
In reply to your review saying Painkill is one of the genre's most complete albums of all time: Isn't PAINKILLER the album those guys did a cover of "Johnny B. Good" or whatever?
Actually Saxon was a blues based rock band basically. Which is why I never considered them metal. Most people would, and to be honest it doesn't bother me. They are heavy, but not metal. They are more hard rock to be precice.
SCORPIONS has SOME metal influence but I've never considered them metal. I rememebr the day when Iron Maiden fans used to beat up Scorpions fans for being poseurs. GLAM! HARD ROCK! ANYTHING but METAL! I DO LIKE some of the songs by the Scorpions but I just don't call 'em METAL! Anything BUT that. Hard Rock with "Metal" flavour MAYBE!
Led Zeppelin wasn't even close, they started classic rock, imo. The Beatles was just a happy happy joy joy punk rock band too.
I've always contended Iron Maiden were the true founders of Metal. The style was virtually nonexistent before they came on the scene. I would argue strongly that the other guys like Judas Priest and Black Sabbath are just "blues rock".
I heard Raven -- an album called "Mad" - I threw that in the POSEUR bin with Winger and Poison. Tesla leans more towards Glam Poseur Metal like Raven too.
When I read the interviews with the bands who MADE the Metal, such as Slayer, Maiden, Manowar, Savatage, etc. - most of those bands sight CLASSICAL as their inspiration, not blues. I go by what the bands themselves have said.
Black Sabbath may have laid the "Roots" of modern metal. But the groups who came to shape it were influenced by CLASSICAL COMPOSERS. Metal that is TRUE Metal sounds like CLASSICAL or else it's NOT METAL! If it
sounds like LED ZEPPLIN or BLACK SABBATH then it's BLUES and BLUES is NOT METAL. Sorry to but
in! I'm just tired of this "Led Zepplin & Black Sabbath started Metal" crap! You don't know sh*t about metal if you think Black Sabbath and Judas Priest started metal. Iron Maiden and Slayer were the first real metal bands.

Most people like you who believe Led Zepplin and Black Sabbath started metal are those who have spent too many years listening to the media. Slayer are not the "gods" of Metal, but bands like Slayer are the ones who molded and shaped Metal's TRUE form. I've always contended Iron Maiden were the true founders of Metal. The style was virtually nonexistent before they came on the scene. I would argue strongly that the other guys are just "blues rock".
One thing I will argue until the day I die is... if it has ANY "Blues" in it, IT'S NOT METAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't hear ANY "Blues" when I listen to "Mechanics of Perilous Times" for example -- THEREFORE, Ultimatum is METAL on that album.
I CAN see how people can argue Black Sabbath and Rainbow (WITH DIO) as being part of the roots of Metal. But definitely not Led Zepplin, Kiss, or Aerosmith. Aerosmith is a poseur glam rock pop band! They were NEVER "Heavy Metal" -- there was NEVER ANYTHING HEAVY about them. Metal has an edge they never possessed. Maiden was the first real band to have that "edge". I'm a total 80s kid! If it's got BLUES, it's NOT METAL!!!"

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal   Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 11:31 am

kmorg wrote:

The Beatles was just a happy happy joy joy punk rock band too.
come to think of it... they did have haircuts like the Ramones scratch

Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal   Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 12:23 pm

Wow kmorg, that guy seems like a complete douche. Anyone who can't get their opinion across without referring to so many bands as 'poseur' (great spelling Razz) shouldn't be offering their words of wisdom. Also, Judas Priest not metal? I.. what. Not to mention how incredibly biased and generally narrow-minded the rest of that comment is. What a tool.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
zombiewalkin

Number of posts : 292

PostSubject: Re: Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal   Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 12:51 pm

"He's a grit cuz he listens to the WASP" - comment made about a friend of mine in highschool by another classmate.

Back in the 80's, in my neck of the woods, if you listened to metal you were a "grit". Which is like a heavy metal redneck.....or something. Oh and when he said "wasp" he pronounced it "warsp" lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal   Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 1:06 pm

Smindas wrote:
No offence to your friends Eyesore, but anyone who says Angra sounds like Metallica has to be a bit of a tool Razz
They are, of course (when it comes to metal). They just hear heavy guitars and go "METALLICA!" It's the only band they can identify with that plays metal. Haha.

I also love when you're playing metal and some indie turd or rap fan tries to make fun of it. They always say something like:

"Rrrrrrrrrooooooooaaaaaaar! Kill your mother! Chugga-chugga-chugga! Rrrrrrrrrooooooooaaaaaaar! F**k your mother! Chugga-chugga-chugga! Widdly-widdly-widdly. Rrrrrrrrrooooooooaaaaaaar! I hate myself! Rrrrrrrrrooooooooaaaaaaar!"

Hahaha.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37632

PostSubject: Re: Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal   Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 1:12 pm

When I was in high school back in the 80s I had a worn out denim jacket with a huge Stryper ("To Hell With The Devil") back patch on it. Despite that, some cheerleader bimbo in one of my classes asked me "You listen to that head banging stuff, huh? Do you worship Satan?" So with a completely straight face I said "Yup. Every full moon I sacrifice a cat in the graveyard and swing it around my head. Wanna come next time?" Needless to say she couldn't get away from me fast enough.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal   Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 1:24 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
When I was in high school back in the 80s I had a worn out denim jacket with a huge Stryper ("To Hell With The Devil") back patch on it. Despite that, some cheerleader bimbo in one of my classes asked me "You listen to that head banging stuff, huh? Do you worship Satan?" So with a completely straight face I said "Yup. Every full moon I sacrifice a cat in the graveyard and swing it around my head. Wanna come next time?" Needless to say she couldn't get away from me fast enough.

lol!
Back to top Go down
caniplaywithmadness?
Metal master
Metal master
caniplaywithmadness?

Number of posts : 515

PostSubject: Re: Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal   Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 1:39 pm

"st anger isn't as bad as people make out" - a mate of mine
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal   Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 2:01 pm

caniplaywithmadness? wrote:
"st anger isn't as bad as people make out" - a mate of mine

He's right. It's worse.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal   Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 2:32 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

lol!
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal   Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 2:42 pm

I also loved it during the 80's when the press wanted to make acronyms for bands. Here are some stupid examples:

KISS - Kids (or Knights) In Satans Service

AC/DC - After Christ / Devil Comes

WASP - We Are Satans People or We Are Sexual Perverts

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37632

PostSubject: Re: Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal   Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 2:43 pm

kmorg wrote:

WASP - We Are Sexual Perverts

This one's actually true. Blackie came up with that one himself during the "F**k Like A Beast" days. Though I doubt he brings it up much nowadays since he's matured (somewhat) over the years.

But I agree with you, the "Knights In Satan's Service" and "Anti-Christ, Devil Child" ones were just dumb.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal   Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 2:46 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
kmorg wrote:

WASP - We Are Sexual Perverts

This one's actually true. Blackie came up with that one himself during the "F**k Like A Beast" days. Though I doubt he brings it up much nowadays since he's matured (somewhat) over the years.

He has also stated that it stands for White Anglo Saxon Protestants, sort of like the majority of the people in the US.

PostSubject: Re: Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal   Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Extremely stupid things you've heard people say about metal
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next