Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ?

Go down 
+34
metalheaded
the sentinel
akeldama
INVADERS
MetalH
iamrockerfun
FlyingV
Cliffy
kmorg
Gilbert
MetalRob331
Temple of Blood
Fat Freddy
Troublezone
Thrasher73
MetalGuy71
JBall_Z
thejokeriv
DeathCult
stormspell
shamgar75
mc666
ultmetal
Wargod
James B.
Mglaffas81
Schbopo
SlaytanicPOWER
nevermore
Metallic Blaze
Lurideath
XYZ
Stender
sam
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ?   The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 11:05 am

Hmmmmm. the jury is still out on this one.

It's pretty well documented on these boards that I'm a Megadeth fan-boy, but nothing is sticking with me on Endgame. I like it while its on, but once it's over, I don't remember anything from it.

PostSubject: Re: The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ?   The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 11:18 am

The Megadeth is the more visceral, in your face listen, sounds a little hungrier. Death Magnetic doesn't have that energy, but it's solid, like an older heavyweight boxer that doesn't quite have the speed...but can still knock your ass on the floor when the punch connects.

The actual "songwriting" on both albums isn't that memorable and occasionally embarrassing on both parts (Broken, Beat & Scarred or 44 Minutes). But as ass-kicking riff collections they succeed admirably.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ?   The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 11:24 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I don't even have to heard Endgame to know it's better than Death Magnetic...

Thats my feelings exactly!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ?   The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 11:31 am

Endgame simply for the better musicianship.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ?   The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 11:36 am

detuned wrote:
The actual "songwriting" on both albums isn't that memorable and occasionally embarrassing on both parts (Broken, Beat & Scarred or 44 Minutes). But as ass-kicking riff collections they succeed admirably.

What's wrong with 44 Minutes? It's a mid-paced, hooky song. The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ? - Page 2 108889

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ?   The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 11:39 am

ultmetal wrote:
detuned wrote:

What's wrong with 44 Minutes? It's a mid-paced, hooky song. The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ? - Page 2 108889

I thought that was a good song as well... I am very familiar with the topic (north hollywood shootout) so that might have something to do with it.

Last edited by Troublezone on Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ?   The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 11:40 am

ultmetal wrote:
detuned wrote:

Dave doesn't have the voice to pull it off. He's trying the narrative style ala Phil Lynott, but you need a really emotive voice to make it work. It comes off laughable, which I'm sure wasn't the intent. Very Happy

Dave's strong suit has always been anger.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ?   The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 11:43 am

detuned wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
detuned wrote:

Dave doesn't have the voice to pull it off. He's trying the narrative style ala Phil Lynott, but you need a really emotive voice to make it work. It comes off laughable, which I'm sure wasn't the intent. The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ? - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

Dave's strong suit has always been anger.

He did better on "44 mins" than that lame ballad...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ?   The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 12:52 pm

True. That ballad is almost painful.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ?   The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 12:55 pm

ultmetal wrote:
detuned wrote:

Oddly enough, that's actually one of the songs that's beginning to sink in. The chorus is starting to catch on.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ?   The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 2:09 pm

ultmetal wrote:
detuned wrote:

It's my favorite off the record at the moment, and the balled is awesome. 🤘
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ?   The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 5:20 pm

Mustian even says Endgame is better Very Happy :

Quote :
In a recent interview with a Michigan radio station, Megadeth's Dave Mustaine was quizzed about how the band`s new record has been received. Recently released, Endgame has received numerous positive reviews and as the frontman says, even some of the worst critics have been nice to them this time around.

"The record is a complete smash success right now for us," said Mustaine. "Even web sites that are notorious for hating Megadeth, like Blabbermouth, we got an 8.5 out of 10 there. I mean, go figure."

Mustaine said he was also shocked to hear some saying that Megadeth's latest record is better than Metallica's last release, Death Magnetic. When asked which album is better, Mustaine stated he does think his is better.

"And that's not a dig at Metallica; it's just how I feel," he said. "And I know that they've got a lot of records that are better than the stuff I've put out, but not all of it, and certainly not the stuff that we made together."

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/dave_mustaine_endgame_is_better_than_metallicas_death_magnetic.html
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ?   The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 5:28 pm

I'm liking ENDGAME better at the moment. Of course, that's probably cuz I've listened to ENDGAME about three dozen times in the past two days since I picked it up Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ?   The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 5:33 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I'm liking ENDGAME better at the moment. Of course, that's probably cuz I've listened to ENDGAME about three dozen times in the past two days since I picked it up The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ? - Page 2 Icon_lol

The best thing about Death Magnetic was Hetfield's return to the speedy rhythm playing but the other guys made no impovement imo. Kirk is still slacking and Lars is Lars... They made no use of Robert's bass skills which was a disappointment. I guess that is why i think Endgame is the better album. But i may change my mind because sometimes i prefer the more simple approach than the Uber-shredding.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ?   The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 5:52 pm

I really thought "Death Magnetic" was a long overdue return to form. The bass playing, drumming, guitar - all of it! Was spot on!!!

The only drawbacks I have about the album are:

1) the vocals ... they leave a little to be desired, but James is getting older

and

2) the songwriting wasn't real strong. I mean, there are some good moments with the songwriting, but overall - it seemed a little thrown together.

All in all, this is not even close to one of Metallica's brightest moments, but it's also the best thing they have released since "... And Justice for All", and that says a lot!!!

Aside from my minor complaints about "Death Magnetic", it's 4 X the album "Endgame" is. Megadeth is weak.

I've never been a fan of Megadeth though ...
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ?   The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 6:00 pm

Quote :
I really thought "Death Magnetic" was a long overdue return to form. The bass playing, drumming, guitar - all of it! Was spot on!!!

The bass is barely there, which is a shame because Robert is a good player. Kirk is still not up to speed imo and Lars... he made a slight improvement but that's not saying much.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ?   The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 6:02 pm

Well, I disagree. I thought the bass (though more subtle), was actually there pretty strongly.

Maybe I'm wrong. It's been a little while since I heard this album. Maybe I should spin it again with this in mind.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ?   The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 6:05 pm

Of course "Engame" is better. Don't be ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ?   The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 6:14 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

NO ... you don't be ridiculous!

The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ? - Page 2 Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ?   The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 6:27 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

NO ... you don't be ridiculous!

The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ? - Page 2 Icon_lol

Both of you stop being redickless. The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ? - Page 2 Icon_razz
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ?   The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 7:37 pm

side by side, hmmmm surprised

cover=Death Magnetic
production=Endgame
songwriting=Endgame
arrangements=Endgame
overall performance=Endgame
individual performance
vocals=Endgame
guitar(rhythm)=Endgame
guitar(solos)=Endgame
drums=Endgame
bass=Endgame
flow of songs=Endgame
overhyped=Death Magnetic

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ?   The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 8:52 am

After listening to Endgame several times I still say its the better of the two.I havent heard anything outstanding from Metallica since Justice.Of course my opinion may be a little biased as I've always preferred Megadeth over Metallica.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ?   The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 1:18 pm

I don't know how you all can say Metallica has released a "return to form", I don't hear it at all. The riffs aren't all that great and they have real weak distortion. Sounds exactly like Load and Reload guitar tone.

Megadeth have found their way back for the most part. Sure, 2 songs that are a little on the lame side, but I'd rather have 2 not so great songs on a Megadeth album than a whole albums worth of lame songs on the new Metallica!
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ?   The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 5:00 pm

mc666 wrote:
Death Magnetic...by a mile. the lyrics on both albums are dumber than dirt though.

i'll admit that the soloing & riffs on Endgame are probably the best Megadeth have had since Marty left, & it's probably the strongest of their last 8 albums. the songs just aren't there. nor is the attitude. at least not to my ears.

This man knows what he is talking about. Dave just cant put riffs with lyrics. He wants to be all technical but in the end the songs are just blah IMO. Nothing memorable about them. Look at CTE - CW he substituted riffs for songwriting and those albums were killer to me. Its all about staying power not thats an awesome riff and solo. If you can do both then you have my attention.

DM > Endgame
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Endgame vs Death Magnetic   The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 8:42 am

In my opinion, Endgame kicks some serious ass, while Death Magnetic is pathetic. The only good thing about it is that it's better than St Anger.

Good Old Dave Mustaine still has some juice, and on his latest album, he delivers an astonishing performance. Metallica should learn from him. I'm still awaiting their real comeback, a true return to the roots.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ?   The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The better release: Endgame or Death Magnetic ?
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next