Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fav Journey album

Go down 
+26
MEGATRON
brokentulsa
James B.
QuothTheRaven
Red Kitty
chewie
MetalGuy71
jstate
exact33
Shawn Of Fire
mlotek
ultmetal
rattpoison
SAHB Healer
DeathCult
Tall Tyrion
stepcousin
Wargod
manny
thejokeriv
metalinmyveins
the sentinel
akeldama
tohostudios
Schbopo
Troublezone
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

Fav Journey album - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 6:25 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I'll have a review of "Frontiers" in my next update. I don't like it anywhere near as much as "Infinity". It's WAY slick, a bit plastic and just WAY overplayed. Radio killed the music, in this case. However, there are a few gems like "Rubicon", "Edge of the Blade" and "Back Talk". I also have always liked "Separate Ways".

I'm glad to see that it will be part of your next review. No love for the song "Chain Reaction" Scott? Any chance that you will be reviewing "Departure" Scott? This would be Gregg Rollie's last studio effort with the band.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 8:19 am

All Journey is good Journey...

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 10:16 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

What do you think of the pre-Perry proggy stuff? Seems like a pretty radical change. Just curious.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 1:26 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

What do you think of the pre-Perry proggy stuff? Seems like a pretty radical change. Just curious.

Pretty Prog/Fusion influenced...obviously great musicianship...but I don't listen to it very often, if at all.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 11:03 am

metalinmyveins wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
I'll have a review of "Frontiers" in my next update. I don't like it anywhere near as much as "Infinity". It's WAY slick, a bit plastic and just WAY overplayed. Radio killed the music, in this case. However, there are a few gems like "Rubicon", "Edge of the Blade" and "Back Talk". I also have always liked "Separate Ways".

I'm glad to see that it will be part of your next review. No love for the song "Chain Reaction" Scott? Any chance that you will be reviewing "Departure" Scott? This would be Gregg Rollie's last studio effort with the band.

Yes, I'd love to. I like the Gregg Rollie stuff best. I just dont' have "Departure" yet.

Yes, "Chain Reaction" is a good song. Actually Frontiers has a handful of songs that I like.

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 12:01 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I just dont' have "Departure" yet.

I do know. Very Happy

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 12:05 pm

Also reviewing "Revelation". Sounds like it could have been a long lost 80's record from Journey.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 1:42 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I might check out some of their early, pre-Perry proggy stuff though.

Their s/t debut arrived in my inbox this morning. Been spinning it non-stop. Groovy, man, groovy.Cool

Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 7:28 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Their s/t debut arrived in my inbox this morning. Been spinning it non-stop. Groovy, man, groovy.Cool

Interesting, you and myself have a pretty similar outlook on music, so I'll have to search this one out. I've been kinda skeptical about it thus far.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 7:32 pm

ultmetal wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

I do know. Very Happy

I know that you didn't have it too Razz
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 10:18 am

DeathCult wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Interesting, you and myself have a pretty similar outlook on music, so I'll have to search this one out. I've been kinda skeptical about it thus far.

I've been dipping my toes in the prog-rock music of the 70's a little at a time and their debut hits the spot. It is nothing like their Steve Perry/AOR phase. No radio hits whatsoever. There are 2 or 3 instrumental tracks that are just killer. Well worth checking out, DC.

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 6:15 pm

DeathCult wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

I do know. Very Happy

I know that you didn't have it too Razz

Haha! Typo. I do NOW!

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17066

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 12:16 am

Frontiers and Escape sound like they could have been a double album. They are very similar in production and style. I actually bought both albums at Walmart as a package deal in one case.

Frontiers is basically Escape (part 2).
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 12:04 pm

Of the Perry years, "Infinity" is definitely my favorite so far. I still need to really give "Raised on Radio" a good listen.

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 1:24 pm

Finally got around to reviewing "Raised on Radio". Went back a few pages on this thread and am surprised to see it rated so high on people lists of favorites. It's hardly even a Journey album and more like a Steve Perry solo album. It's chock full of soft rock, 80's pop and ballads, ballads and more ballads. Some of this stuff would have fit on a Lionel Richie album. Super-slick production robs the album of whatever rock roots it might have had.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17066

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 1:26 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Finally got around to reviewing "Raised on Radio". Went back a few pages on this thread and am surprised to see it rated so high on people lists of favorites. It's hardly even a Journey album and more like a Steve Perry solo album. It's chock full of soft rock, 80's pop and ballads, ballads and more ballads. Some of this stuff would have fit on a Lionel Richie album. Super-slick production robs the album of whatever rock roots it might have had.

The production is too slick but it's not a bad album. I agree that it's more of a Perry solo venture...

Last edited by Troublezone on Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 1:39 pm

ultmetal wrote:

I actually had to look up the tracklisting on this one because I haven't heard it in so long. Overall Ult, I definately agree with you, this is bassically a Perry solo record. Really over slick. I did like "I'll Be Alright Without You" and "Girl Can't Help It" though. 80's arena Journey has alot of crap spread around the albums. The more rock oriented stuff had better album cuts.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 2:32 pm

Quote :
It's hardly even a Journey album and more like a Steve Perry solo album.

Perry absolutely had the reins on that album. He fired Steve Smith and Ross Valory, was in control of the song selection, the mix, the artwork, everything.

That said, there's not a song on it I don't like.

"Why Can't This Night Go On Forever" is the best ballad Journey ever did...period. His vocal performance on that song is godly.

"Girl Can't Help It", "Suzanne", "Once You Love Somebody", "Be Good To Yourself"...all awesome songs...and I love "I'll Be Alright Without You".

From the perspective of a singer, Raised On Radio is flat out awesome because Perry may have been a control-freak douchebag, but the dude sang his ass off on this album.

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 3:53 pm

I've tried to like that album but outside of "Be Good Yourself" and "The Girl Can't Help It", it doesn't do much for me.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 5:34 pm

[quote="Shawn Of Fire"]
Quote :
"Why Can't This Night Go On Forever" is the best ballad Journey ever did...period. His vocal performance on that song is godly.

Good call Shawn, I completely forgot about that song, but I love it. Also, gave this a quick spin and I agree with you the vocals make this album
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 12:07 pm

1. Infinity
2. Departure
3. Evolution
4. Next
5. Journey
6. Look Into the Future
7. Revelation
8. Generations
9. Escape
10. Frontiers
11. Trial By Fire
12. Arrival
13. Raised on Radio

I've yet to hear Eclipse or Red 13.

Last edited by ultmetal on Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:45 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 12:12 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Quote :
It's hardly even a Journey album and more like a Steve Perry solo album.

Perry absolutely had the reins on that album. He fired Steve Smith and Ross Valory, was in control of the song selection, the mix, the artwork, everything.

That said, there's not a song on it I don't like.

"Girl Can't Help It", "Suzanne", "Once You Love Somebody", "Be Good To Yourself"...all awesome songs...and I love "I'll Be Alright Without You".

From the perspective of a singer, Raised On Radio is flat out awesome because Perry may have been a control-freak douchebag, but the dude sang his ass off on this album.

I did n't know the backstory to this album, I just knew Journey had been reduced to three. I am curious why Steve Perry felt the need to do this since his 'Street Talk' album was very success and he could have pulled a Phil Collins, had both a successful solo career and a career with Journey, this just makes me believe that Steve Perry is just as bad as Axl when it comes to control issues. That being said, not my favorite Journey album but still a solid release.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 11:43 am

Will be adding review for Arrival and Live in Houston in my next update. "Arrival" is a bit too heavily loaded with ballads IMO. It's a long album and a bit labor-some to listen to in one sitting. They should have cut it down to the best 10 - 12 songs, including only the best 2 ballads, and it would have been a much more solid listen.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 8:11 pm

Infinity is my favorite. The album has alot of great memories attached to it for me. i have owned it since it came out.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12603

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 9:36 pm

I was at Sam's Club today and saw a two pack, Journey's Greatest Hits and Greatest Hits 2.
Never knew there was a 2nd one.

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fav Journey album
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next