Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fav Journey album

Go down 
+26
MEGATRON
brokentulsa
James B.
QuothTheRaven
Red Kitty
chewie
MetalGuy71
jstate
exact33
Shawn Of Fire
mlotek
ultmetal
rattpoison
SAHB Healer
DeathCult
Tall Tyrion
stepcousin
Wargod
manny
thejokeriv
metalinmyveins
the sentinel
akeldama
tohostudios
Schbopo
Troublezone
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Fav Journey album - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2008 7:44 pm

Quote :
I think I prefer Kansas and Styx to Journey and REO just because Journey and REO were very anthemic, (not my thing), while Styx and Kansas could be a little more proggy.

I prefer all those bands (including REO who really went lame with HiInfidelity) to Journey.

Off the top of my head, I can think of one band I hate more than Journey and that would be Dave Matthews Band.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2008 11:51 pm

SAHB Healer wrote:
.....just because Journey and REO were very anemic....

Fixed it for ya!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 12:24 pm

I've really been digging "Infinity" over the past couple weeks. Solid 70's hard rock.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 12:37 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I've really been digging "Infinity" over the past couple weeks. Solid 70's hard rock.

I guess that we will be seeing a review for this album in October? This is a great Journey album Ult! I loved Greg Rollie's role in the band back during those days oh so long ago. "Winds of March" is a very under appreciated Journey tune. I picked up the Japanese Remaster 22 bit, which seems to have a little better sound than the 20 bit that the band released in the U.S in 2002.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 12:54 pm

I also think that the silly titled "La Do Da" is an under appreciated song as well.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 7:50 pm

wow, a three year bump!! I hear ya about "Infinity". Ever since I got back into vinyl again more than a year ago, I have every Journey album from the 70's and 80's on LP and a bunch of comps too, and I really dig the 70's Journey; the pre-Perry stuff is awesome and Infinity and Evolution are probably my 2 faves.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 10:38 am

I'd like to get "Evolution" as well.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 1:58 pm

I own the live album "Captured" on cassette as it had a couple of songs I liked off the radio, and Any way You Want It from the movie Caddyshack.

Think I also have Frontiers, Escape , and Departure on vinyl too, but I almost never play them.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 2:04 pm

I need to grab 'Frontiers' I keep looking for it at my local Walmart in the $5 bin but no luck so far.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 4:21 pm

Escape

Frontiers

Rasied On Radio

Trial By Fire

Evolution

Infinity

Departure

Captured

Arrival

Generations

Red 13

Revelation

Eclipse

But don't let the ranking make you think I don't like the lower albums...I just like the top albums more...all Journey, especially Perry-era, is golden!

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 6:24 pm

I like most of the Perry era but I really enjoy Revelations.....

jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 7:19 pm

I'm a big fan of Frontiers. Followed closely by Escape.

Journey were also part of two of my all time favorite video games - the Journey arcade game and Escape for the Atari 2600. I'm also pretty sure there was a cool Journey pinball game too.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 10:30 am

This is good enough for me...

Fav Journey album - Page 2 Journey-greatest-hits-front-cover-35409

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 11:29 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:

If you like Heavy ProgFusionRock, you should really try the first three albums.............. just sayin'.

Check out some youtube clips here:

https://heartofmetal.niceboard.com/t16462p25-early-prog#443588
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 12:53 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

The hits are ok, but I am finding I am digging the deep tracks better. On Infinity "Winds of March", "Feeling That Way/Anytime" and "La Do Da" probably won't make the hit's packages but are great songs.

Also I'm not real big into the sappy, high-school prom ballads that Journey thrived on in the 80's.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 1:18 pm

I'm not much of a fan of their brand of melodic, AOR, radio friendly rock in general. Bands like Foreigner, Night Ranger and the like never did much for me. Probably radio overkill in the 80's.

I have some fond memories of Journey involving an old fling, so it's why I still keep it around. I might check out some of their early, pre-Perry proggy stuff though.

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 1:28 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I'm not much of a fan of their brand of melodic, AOR, radio friendly rock in general. Bands like Foreigner, Night Ranger and the like never did much for me. Probably radio overkill in the 80's.

I have some fond memories of Journey involving an old fling, so it's why I still keep it around. I might check out some of their early, pre-Perry proggy stuff though.

I know what you mean. Radio killed the hits for me. I'm actually the same way about Foreigner. I don't really care for their hits, but songs like Headknocker, Star Rider, Blue Morning Blue Day, etc. are great!

As much as I've avoided Journey over the decades, I'm suddenly finding I enjoy their deeper album tracks. Could also be the mood I've been over the past few weeks. Sadness and depression doesn't usually swing me towards thrash and death metal, but towards more old school rock and doom for some reason. Driving down the road as a zombie the past week, Nazareth and Journey seem to fit the mood.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Red Kitty

Number of posts : 1006

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 2:36 pm

Departure
Evolution
Infinity

IMO, Escape is where Journey went radio-friendy on us and while some of the songs are strong, the overall sound seems 'watered down' a bit...at least to my old ears.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 10:58 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I might check out some of their early, pre-Perry proggy stuff though.

Try this link to the Early Prog topic:

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17044

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 8:09 am

Journey - Greatest Hits

Aside from a few songs here and there, it's basically all I need...

Last edited by Troublezone on Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 8:13 am

chewie wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
I might check out some of their early, pre-Perry proggy stuff though.

Try this link to the Early Prog topic:

I need to check out the early stuff as well. Thanks for the link..

QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 4:19 pm

Big Journey fan back in the day. The early Perry-era with Gregg Rolie on keys is my favorite. Infinity through Captured are the best albums IMO; Captured is one of the strongest live albums from the late 70s. Escape and Frontiers were okay, though even when they came out, I knew that Jonathan Cain's style had significantly changed the band's sound.

The recent popularity of "Don't Stop Believin' " has really started to annoy me. Thank you Glee...
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 5:16 pm

QuothTheRaven wrote:
Big Journey fan back in the day. The early Perry-era with Gregg Rolie on keys is my favorite. Infinity through Captured are the best albums IMO; Captured is one of the strongest live albums from the late 70s. Escape and Frontiers were okay, though even when they came out, I knew that Jonathan Cain's style had significantly changed the band's sound.

The recent popularity of "Don't Stop Believin' " has really started to annoy me. Thank you Glee...

I hate to say it, but that song's popularity spiked a long time before that on the likes of Itunes. Supposedly after an episode of Laguna Beach (this probably goes back about 6-7 years ago) the song became the #1 most downloaded song.
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 10:11 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
QuothTheRaven wrote:

I hate to say it, but that song's popularity spiked a long time before that on the likes of Itunes. Supposedly after an episode of Laguna Beach (this probably goes back about 6-7 years ago) the song became the #1 most downloaded song.

That's probably true, though I never watched that show. Glee respiked the popularity of the song. I'm in a bit of a quandary there though, because I think the out solo is one of Schon's best moments. Go figure. I also get annoyed when one song suddenly begins to represent a band's entire output. "Journey? I love them!!! Don't Stop Believin' is my fave!!!!" That also happened with Kiss (Rock and Roll All Nite), and Lynyrd Skynyrd (Sweet Home Alabama). Mainstream radio, you suck! Play songs from all of a band's output, not just their biggest one or two songs and maybe I'll start listening to you again. Until then, CDs and iPod only! listening to music End rant!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 10:16 am

metalinmyveins wrote:
QuothTheRaven wrote:

I thought it was the series finale of "The Sopranos" that brought them back from obscurity?

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fav Journey album
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next