Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fav Journey album

Go down 
+26
MEGATRON
brokentulsa
James B.
QuothTheRaven
Red Kitty
chewie
MetalGuy71
jstate
exact33
Shawn Of Fire
mlotek
ultmetal
rattpoison
SAHB Healer
DeathCult
Tall Tyrion
stepcousin
Wargod
manny
thejokeriv
metalinmyveins
the sentinel
akeldama
tohostudios
Schbopo
Troublezone
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

Fav Journey album - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 11:01 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
QuothTheRaven wrote:
Big Journey fan back in the day. The early Perry-era with Gregg Rolie on keys is my favorite. Infinity through Captured are the best albums IMO; Captured is one of the strongest live albums from the late 70s. Escape and Frontiers were okay, though even when they came out, I knew that Jonathan Cain's style had significantly changed the band's sound.

The recent popularity of "Don't Stop Believin' " has really started to annoy me. Thank you Glee...

I hate to say it, but that song's popularity spiked a long time before that on the likes of Itunes. Supposedly after an episode of Laguna Beach (this probably goes back about 6-7 years ago) the song became the #1 most downloaded song.

I thought it was the series finale of "The Sopranos" that brought them back from obscurity?

No, that wasn't the initial moment, but it certainly didn't hurt. I just remember going on Journey's website one day (years ago), and reading how the band got a kick out of the fact that Laguna Beach spiked the sales ten fold on a song that had been released some 25 years before hand. I'm guessing most Sopranos fans probably already had the song, since your average fan was probably a fan of Journey. Though I'm sure Sopranos demographics were wide spread. It didn't hurt last year, when Steve Perry was at game 5 of the NLCS and the song broke out over the P.A. Steve led the fans in a abbreviated rendition of the song. Of course, I'm sure Glee pushed this song WAY over the top, as we have so many Glee fans who are totally clueless about music that is older than let's say a decade.

Last edited by metalinmyveins on Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 11:09 am

....the phenomenon that is the song Don't Stop Believing and that of pop culture.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 11:45 am

ultmetal wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
I'm not much of a fan of their brand of melodic, AOR, radio friendly rock in general. Bands like Foreigner, Night Ranger and the like never did much for me. Probably radio overkill in the 80's.

I have some fond memories of Journey involving an old fling, so it's why I still keep it around. I might check out some of their early, pre-Perry proggy stuff though.

I know what you mean. Radio killed the hits for me. I'm actually the same way about Foreigner. I don't really care for their hits, but songs like Headknocker, Star Rider, Blue Morning Blue Day, etc. are great!

As much as I've avoided Journey over the decades, I'm suddenly finding I enjoy their deeper album tracks. Could also be the mood I've been over the past few weeks. Sadness and depression doesn't usually swing me towards thrash and death metal, but towards more old school rock and doom for some reason. Driving down the road as a zombie the past week, Nazareth and Journey seem to fit the mood.

I snagged "Evolution" over the weekend for $5 at Walmart and am enjoying it as well. I think I might like "Infinity" just a bit more, but both are great. The Gregg Rolie-years are definitely my favorite. Even when Perry joined the band and they moved into an arena-rock sound, they still had plenty to offer the hard rock fan. They hadn't yet gotten overly slick and pop.

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 11:46 am

QuothTheRaven wrote:
Big Journey fan back in the day. The early Perry-era with Gregg Rolie on keys is my favorite. Infinity through Captured are the best albums IMO; Captured is one of the strongest live albums from the late 70s. Escape and Frontiers were okay, though even when they came out, I knew that Jonathan Cain's style had significantly changed the band's sound.

I agree with this quote.

At the rate I'm going, I'm gonna have 3-4 Journey reviews in my next update.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 9:01 am

ultmetal wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
I'm not much of a fan of their brand of melodic, AOR, radio friendly rock in general. Bands like Foreigner, Night Ranger and the like never did much for me. Probably radio overkill in the 80's.

I have some fond memories of Journey involving an old fling, so it's why I still keep it around. I might check out some of their early, pre-Perry proggy stuff though.

I know what you mean. Radio killed the hits for me. I'm actually the same way about Foreigner. I don't really care for their hits, but songs like Headknocker, Star Rider, Blue Morning Blue Day, etc. are great!

As much as I've avoided Journey over the decades, I'm suddenly finding I enjoy their deeper album tracks. Could also be the mood I've been over the past few weeks. Sadness and depression doesn't usually swing me towards thrash and death metal, but towards more old school rock and doom for some reason. Driving down the road as a zombie the past week, Nazareth and Journey seem to fit the mood.

I snagged "Evolution" over the weekend for $5 at Walmart and am enjoying it as well. I think I might like "Infinity" just a bit more, but both are great. The Gregg Rolie-years are definitely my favorite. Even when Perry joined the band and they moved into an arena-rock sound, they still had plenty to offer the hard rock fan. They hadn't yet gotten overly slick and pop.

Evolution and Infinity are both great records...City Of Angels, Just The Same Way, Too Late, Feeling That Way, Anytime, Wheel In The Sky, Something To Hide (oh my god), Winds Of March...all killer tunes.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 9:15 am

I just bought 'Frontiers' for $5 on Saturday in Walmart cheapo bin and I actually enjoyed the album alot more then I remembered.

'Chain Reaction' is a great tune on the album, and still has plenty of guitar on the album, but Jothan Cain's influence is heard through out that entire album.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 10:41 am

manny wrote:
I just bought 'Frontiers' for $5 on Saturday in Walmart cheapo bin and I actually enjoyed the album alot more then I remembered.

'Chain Reaction' is a great tune on the album, and still has plenty of guitar on the album, but Jothan Cain's influence is heard through out that entire album.

For the longest time I had the Journey Time3 Box set and Raised on Radio, but over the last two months I've picked up Frontiers, which is great from top to bottom. Most people focus on the hits off those albums, but I agree Manny songs like "Chain Reaction" are superb, along with "Edge of the Blade" and "Troubled Child"!

I also have picked up Infinity, Escape, and Departure (all Japanese Remastered 1996), which I found in my local used CD store over the last couple of months.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12599

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 12:29 pm

my two favorite Journey tunes are "walks ike a lady" and "dixie highway"

dont realy have a favorite abum by them, and I don't dislike them either

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 12:38 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
manny wrote:

For the longest time I had the Journey Time3 Box set and Raised on Radio, but over the last two months I've picked up Frontiers, which is great from top to bottom. Most people focus on the hits off those albums, but I agree Manny songs like "Chain Reaction" are superb, along with "Edge of the Blade" and "Troubled Child"!

I also have picked up Infinity, Escape, and Departure (all Japanese Remastered 1996), which I found in my local used CD store over the last couple of months.

As you and ULT point out, alot of gems are hidden in the deep tracks of those Steve Perry albums.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 12:53 pm

James B. wrote:

"Dixie Highway" has a killer Dregs type riff to it!
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 2:15 pm

James B. wrote:

I'm not really into Walks Like A Lady...there are several more R&B Journey tunes like that one that fall into my "least favorite" category from the band. I don't really like Lady Luck or Loving Touching Squeezing either...
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 2:21 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
James B. wrote:

I'm not really into Walks Like A Lady...there are several more R&B Journey tunes like that one that fall into my "least favorite" category from the band. I don't really like Lady Luck or Loving Touching Squeezing either...

It's kind of funny, because I've always been into a lot of 50's, 60's, and 70's R&B, but when Journey ventures into that territory it doesn't do a thing for me.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 2:54 pm

I'm apparently in the minority, but I think they were at their peak between '81 & '87...I love the Cain influence (as much as I love much of the pre-Cain material)...

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 3:56 pm

Speaking of Journey, a Greatest Hits II is going to be released very shortly:

/ Greatest Hits Vol. 2, a brand-new collection of original recordings by the mega-platinum band Journey will be available as a single CD, digital download, and special gatefold double-vinyl edition (which includes a code for a free digital download of the vinyl remastered album), available starting November 1, 2011. This new package from Columbia/Legacy, a division of Sony Music Entertainment, spans singles and album tracks recorded between 1978 and 1996.
Journey's original Greatest Hits collection is one of the top-selling American rock albums of all time with worldwide sales in excess of 25 million. In conjunction with the double-LP version of Greatest Hits Vol. 2, the original Greatest Hits will also be issued as a gatefold double-vinyl edition on the same date, November 1 (which also includes a code for a free digital download of the vinyl remastered album).

Greatest Hits Vol. 2 wraps up with a live concert version of "Mother, Father" -- a highlight of Live In Houston 1981 - Escape Tour, a Columbia/Legacy archive release in 2005 which featured both video and audio versions of the same 75-minute program.
As Rolling Stone contributing editor David Wild wrote, "Whether on the radio or on some stage, these well-built tunes remain sturdy crowd pleasers to this very day, in their second century of airplay. Some DJ is playing a Journey song somewhere right now and many more are out there singing along -- you can bet on it."

Greatest Hits Vol. 2 by Journey (Columbia/Legacy 88697 77986 2) Selections: 1. Stone In Love - 2. After The Fall - 3. Chain Reaction - 4. The Party's Over (Hopelessly In Love) - 5. Escape - 6. Still They Ride - 7. Good Morning Girl - 8. Stay Awhile - 9. Suzanne - 10. Feeling That Way - 11. Anytime - 12. Walks Like A Lady - 13. Little Girl - 14. Just The Same Way - 15. Patiently - 16. When I Think Of You - 17. Mother, Father (Live In Houston, 1981).
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17064

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 9:05 am

Their music from the time of (Escape and Frontiers) is my favorite era of Journey. Cain's songwriting, Perry's vocals and Schon's melodic soloing...
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 9:06 am

Troublezone wrote:
Their music from the time of Escape and Frontiers is my favorite era of Journey. Cain's songwriting, Perry's vocals and Schon's melodic soloing...

The Holy Trifecta of Melodic Rock...the measuring stick by which an entire genre is measured.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 9:09 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Their music from the time of Escape and Frontiers is my favorite era of Journey. Cain's songwriting, Perry's vocals and Schon's melodic soloing...

The Holy Trifecta of Melodic Rock...the measuring stick by which an entire genre is measured.

Your band is a testament to that. Smile
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 9:10 am

Troublezone wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Should I be insulted or appreciative? Fav Journey album - Page 3 201269 I can't tell which way you're going...haha!!

I'm kidding...thanks! We're nowhere near Journey-league, but I appreciate the kind words.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 9:21 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Should I be insulted or appreciative? Fav Journey album - Page 3 201269 I can't tell which way you're going...haha!!

I'm kidding...thanks! We're nowhere near Journey-league, but I appreciate the kind words.

It was meant as a compliment. How could you not see that! Laughing
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 9:32 am

Troublezone wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

I am sure it was meant as a compliment, Shawn please don't stop believing, the wheel in the sky keeps on turning even when the lights go down in the city,
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 10:12 am

lol!

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 11:49 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

This is so true!

That reminds me, I finally received my MRCD Vol. 8(Yes, I do have all eight... yeah, yeah) copy after a re-printing delay. I need to pop that into the car.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 12:09 pm

chewie wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

This is so true!

That reminds me, I finally received my MRCD Vol. 8(Yes, I do have all eight... yeah, yeah) copy after a re-printing delay. I need to pop that into the car.

I've always wanted to get those from Andrew...but I only have the one Line Of Fire is on...
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 2:03 pm

I'll have a review of "Frontiers" in my next update. I don't like it anywhere near as much as "Infinity". It's WAY slick, a bit plastic and just WAY overplayed. Radio killed the music, in this case. However, there are a few gems like "Rubicon", "Edge of the Blade" and "Back Talk". I also have always liked "Separate Ways".

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 3:47 pm

manny wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

I am sure it was meant as a compliment, Shawn please don't stop believing, the wheel in the sky keeps on turning even when the lights go down in the city,

honestly.....

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fav Journey album   Fav Journey album - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fav Journey album
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next