Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more...

Go down 
+13
tohostudios
stepcousin
MetalGuy71
Hate Forest
Wargod
metalinmyveins
bassman
Fat Freddy
chewie
exact33
manny
thejokeriv
Metal Misfit
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more... Empty
PostSubject: Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more...   Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more... Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 11:29 am

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/steve-perry-wants-to-rejoin-journey/

Quote :
Former Journey frontman Steve Perry has amazed his former bandmates by asking to rejoin the group. (Don’t Stop Believin’? More like: would you believe it?)

Perry left the Bay Area AOR legends for good in 1998 to embark on a solo career. He was replaced by Steve Augeri and then Jeff Scott Soto. Filipino singer Arnel Pineda took over vocal duties in 2007.

Journey have since enjoyed renewed success after Don’t Stop Believin’ was featured in The Sopranos and covered by the cast of hit TV musical Glee. Don’t Stop Believin’ also won a gong at this week’s Classic Rock Roll Of Honour.

Now Perry wants to rejoin Journey, according to guitarist Neal Schon.

Schon told The Daily Star: “He [Perry] seems to be enjoying the spotlight a little too much. The fact is he’s no longer the lead singer. He walked out.”

Perry back in the group would mean big business. They've always been lucky enough to have great vocalists post-Perry but there's nothing like the original. I'm surprised Schon would say that. How long until he gives in?

lol!
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more...   Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more... Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 12:18 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:

Quote :
Former Journey frontman Steve Perry has amazed his former bandmates by asking to rejoin the group. (Don’t Stop Believin’? More like: would you believe it?)

Perry left the Bay Area AOR legends for good in 1998 to embark on a solo career. He was replaced by Steve Augeri and then Jeff Scott Soto. Filipino singer Arnel Pineda took over vocal duties in 2007.

Journey have since enjoyed renewed success after Don’t Stop Believin’ was featured in The Sopranos and covered by the cast of hit TV musical Glee. Don’t Stop Believin’ also won a gong at this week’s Classic Rock Roll Of Honour.

Schon told The Daily Star: “He [Perry] seems to be enjoying the spotlight a little too much. The fact is he’s no longer the lead singer. He walked out.”

Perry back in the group would mean big business. They've always been lucky enough to have great vocalists post-Perry but there's nothing like the original. I'm surprised Schon would say that. How long until he gives in?

lol!

I bet he is thinking about it - thew Journey album has been recorded, mixed and mastered for a good 6 months yet no announcement on when it will be released. Arnel will be the Tim "Ripper" Owens of Classic Rock when he is dismissed.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more...   Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more... Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 12:40 pm

I am sure that it will happen but I do not see the band rushing to do so, it took them a long time to rebuild Journey's success, and I think a reunion with Steve Perry would be a one shot reunion tour.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more...   Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more... Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 12:41 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Metal Misfit wrote:

Quote :

lol!

I bet he is thinking about it - thew Journey album has been recorded, mixed and mastered for a good 6 months yet no announcement on when it will be released. Arnel will be the Tim "Ripper" Owens of Classic Rock when he is dismissed.

That would be a terrible mistake imho for Journey to ditch Arnel.

manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more...   Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more... Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 12:45 pm

exact33 wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Metal Misfit wrote:

Quote :

lol!

I completely agree, it took them a long time to rebuild their success and crediability and IMO Steve Perry would stay maybe long enough to do a tour and an album.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more...   Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more... Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 1:04 pm

I agree with manny and exact..... They have spent too many years rebuilding Journey just to throw it all away for one album and tour with Perry.

Oh.... Who knows the repercussions that it would have on them in the Phillipines if they dumped Arnel..........
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more...   Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more... Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 1:14 pm

chewie wrote:

Oh.... Who knows the repercussions that it would have on them in the Phillipines if they dumped Arnel..........

Laughing very hard Buh-bye to those lucrative tour offers from Asia and the Pacific Rim.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more...   Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more... Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 1:24 pm

Don't do it Neal. Yeah, it would probably be a huge tour but do they really need the money?
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more...   Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more... Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 1:36 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
chewie wrote:

Laughing very hard Buh-bye to those lucrative tour offers from Asia and the Pacific Rim.

That is funny, but, I was actually thinking of them being physically harmed. Some people can get pretty nutty........
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more...   Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more... Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 2:49 pm

I didn't realize Journey already had a follow-up to Revelation. From what I've found, it'll supposedly come out in early 2011. And Revelation went platinum. Good for them. The power of Walmart! Laughing
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more...   Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more... Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 2:54 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:
I didn't realize Journey already had a follow-up to Revelation. From what I've found, it'll supposedly come out in early 2011. And Revelation went platinum. Good for them. The power of Walmart! Laughing

and Oprah they made an appearance on the Oprah Winfrey show when they were promoting their last album
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more...   Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more... Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 3:48 pm

manny wrote:
exact33 wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Metal Misfit wrote:

Quote :

lol!

I completely agree, it took them a long time to rebuild their success and crediability and IMO Steve Perry would stay maybe long enough to do a tour and an album.

I agree. Perry would not benefit the band at all other than people thinking it was a reunion tour...

bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more...   Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more... Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 12:02 pm

The REAL problem is that Arnel's impression of Steve Perry is so good that Perry feels the need to prove himself all over again. I'm not slamming Perry, I just think it would be very difficult to hear your old band with a new singer that sounds so much like you. The same thing happened to Judas Priest with Ripper, Halford couldn't stand it that they were doing so well without him and with a guy who sounded like Halford in his prime. Again, NOT a slam, just an observation.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more...   Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more... Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 8:15 pm

They have revived themselves with Arnel, stick with him.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more...   Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more... Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 5:19 pm

I can't help but salivate over the news that this could POSSIBLY take place, BUT, I also understand why Neil Schon would want no part of it, based on what can only be considered a very strained relationship. These guys traveled in separate tour buses since 1983, because Steve didn't gel with the band. I kind of wonder how Ross Valory feels about the situation as well? Steve, basically had both he and Steve Smith bounced from the band while the recording for "Raised on Radio" was going on. Funny enough, Smith has always stated w/out Steve Perry in the band; he had no interest in staying with Journey. I give credit to the man, since Perry treated him like garbage. If this were going to happen, does that mean there would be a full on reunion, bringing back Steve Smith as well???

I think Neil could cave to the pressure of this possible reunion, as nobody is getting any younger, and when money talks, well, we all know what happens...Just ask the Eagles!
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more...   Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more... Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 5:28 pm

Hey about this have both Arnel & Steve in the band together and make the concerts twice as long with each singer doing the songs as part of their own set. But make sure each singer sings the same song, mindblowing don't ya think?

Wargod51
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more...   Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more... Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Wargod48 wrote:
Hey about this have both Arnel & Steve in the band together and make the concerts twice as long with each singer doing the songs as part of their own set. But make sure each singer sings the same song, mindblowing don't ya think?

Wargod51

that would be interesting but I dont Perry would go for that.

manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more...   Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more... Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 9:47 pm

I think it would be a big mistake, in the short run they would make lots and lots of money but once the tour ends and Steve Perry leaves again, then Journey have to start all over again like they did when Perry left after their first reunion.

It took Journey several years and three vocalist for them to be able to rebuild their career and credibility like they have with Arnel.

Boston, Foreigner, Survivor, have all tried and are currently touring without their original vocalist and all are touring the oldies circuit, only Journey ( in the current incarnation) have managed to avoid this and have worked very hard to get to where they are today.
Back to top Go down
Hate Forest
Metal novice
Metal novice
Hate Forest

Number of posts : 36

PostSubject: Re: Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more...   Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more... Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 10:16 pm

The new guy sounds EXACTLY like him....it would of course be epic to have Perry back but I can see why the band wouldn't want a guy who walked out on them to come back. The new guy is great.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more...   Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 10:36 am

So let me see if I gotthis right.

Steve tells Journey to slag off. Journey finds a replacement and had great success playing older material and selling new albums and presumably making some cash while Steve sits home with his cats. And now he wants back in?

Does Steve Perry even sound like Steve Perry anymore? Might as well stick with the new guy.

Sadly, they'll probably do the reunion with Steve for the quick cash grab. "Steve Perry Back in Journey" makes a better marquee title. Then he'll flake out again and Journey will fade back into obsurity trying to find another lead singer on YouTube, thus losing any momentum they built in the last 3 or 4 years.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more...   Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 11:42 am

Here's the thing, how long does Journey plan to go on? Father time comes into play at some point. Ross Valory (61), Jonathan Cain (60), Neil Schon (56), and Steve Perry (61). Even if Neil Schon sees bigger and better things with Arnel (43), how long do Ross and Jonathan want to keep this thing going (since they're on average 5 years older than Neil)?

I certainly don't want to see Journey become the next Lynyrd Skynyrd with only one original member on stage (even if it is the great Neil Schon). I guess my view is this, Steve Perry has a huge ego, probably is a pain in the ass, but I hope it happens. I would be one to go see Journey, and would pay handsomely to say I was able to see this lineup. I would hope that Steve Smith would also be asked to come back, though I would have no problem having Dean Castronovo behind the kit. It would be nice to if they could get Gregg Rolie to come join them for a couple of gigs.

Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more...   Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 6:08 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
Here's the thing, how long does Journey plan to go on? Father time comes into play at some point. Ross Valory (61), Jonathan Cain (60), Neil Schon (56), and Steve Perry (61). Even if Neil Schon sees bigger and better things with Arnel (43), how long do Ross and Jonathan want to keep this thing going (since they're on average 5 years older than Neil)?

I certainly don't want to see Journey become the next Lynyrd Skynyrd with only one original member on stage (even if it is the great Neil Schon). I guess my view is this, Steve Perry has a huge ego, probably is a pain in the ass, but I hope it happens.

wow, those guys are old but it's amazing how Neil's been in the music biz for 40 years and he is still only 56.

I for one would like to see Perry sing with Journey again (if he still can physically) but the new vocalist seems to be doing fine and really brings a spunk to the old songs.
Back to top Go down
Hate Forest
Metal novice
Metal novice
Hate Forest

Number of posts : 36

PostSubject: Re: Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more...   Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 7:26 pm

Well, if someone like Keith Richards can still manage to do.....well, anything, I think these guys can manage.

Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more...   Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 7:45 pm

Hate Forest wrote:
Well, if someone like Keith Richards can still manage to do.....well, anything, I think these guys can manage.

Keef rocks!!!

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more...   Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 7:51 pm

I can resist no longer.

One of my most hated bands threatening to once again inundate the world with their AOR, chick-drivel is certainly a sign of the apocalypse.

It's Mecha-Journey unleashing their wrath on an unsuspecting world....

PostSubject: Re: Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more...   Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Steve Perry wants to go on a Journey once more...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next