Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold

Go down 
+13
Eyesore
BillRoxx
Harold Benson
Glower
ZombieHavoc
manny
mikeinfla
Thrasher73
glassprison
assault_attack
corplhicks
MetalGuy71
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
BillRoxx
Metal master
Metal master
BillRoxx

Number of posts : 976

Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 12:24 am

Gotta admit, this one really caught me interest! Looking forward to it!
Back to top Go down
http://www.roxxproductions.com
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 10:37 am

glassprison wrote:
It turns out this album was recorded over a number of years and Donnie Vie is actually on some of the tracks. The samples are up at amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Covered-Gold-Enuff-ZNuff/dp/B00LJGV8XC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407552876&sr=8-1&keywords=Enuff+Z+Nuff+covered+in+gold

Some of them sound absolutely AWFUL. Some are not so bad.

That's what I suspected. The press release says they are "12 brand new studio recordings", which is bull. They are old recordings compiled together with a few "new" covers thrown in. Which are probably the ones that sound awful, seeing how they were recorded in the bathroom of Chip's apartment. Razz 

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 3:34 pm

Never could get into this band. Way too "light" for me, and just not very good overall, in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 4:42 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Never could get into this band. Way too "light" for me, and just not very good overall, in my opinion.

All the crap you listen to and these guys are "not very good"?!? A colossal "PFFT!!!" in your general direction.

Good day to you, sir.

Razz 

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 5:32 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

All the crap you listen to and these guys are "not very good"?!? A colossal "PFFT!!!" in your general direction.

Good day to you, sir.

Razz 

lol! 

Sorry. I've tried a number of times, but I just cannot get into them.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12622

PostSubject: Re: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 10:34 am

My wife digs em

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37649

PostSubject: Re: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2016 10:19 am

Yet another zombie thread, back from the dead... urrrrrrgh...

I recently picked up the Deadline/Cleopatra comp "'80s Metal Tribute to Van Halen," which features Enuff Z'Nuff's cover of DLR's solo track "Yankee Rose" on it - I assume it's the same cut that's on this album.

Anyway, it's f*cking godawful. I have yet to hear anything by Enuff Z'Nuff that isn't god-awful, now that I think about it.

I realize that this post is random and pointless, but I just had to get that off my chest. (phew) I'm done.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2016 10:41 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Yet another zombie thread, back from the dead... urrrrrrgh...

I recently picked up the Deadline/Cleopatra comp "'80s Metal Tribute to Van Halen," which features Enuff Z'Nuff's cover of DLR's solo track "Yankee Rose" on it - I assume it's the same cut that's on this album.

Anyway, it's f*cking godawful. I have yet to hear anything by Enuff Z'Nuff that isn't god-awful, now that I think about it.

I realize that this post is random and pointless, but I just had to get that off my chest. (phew) I'm done.

They're horrible. I've also never liked anything I've heard by them. sick
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2016 7:15 am

I honestly thought this band ceased to exsist after Animals... LOL. I dig the first 3 albums (havent heard any of the rest obviously) but cover albums were never my cup of tea, with few exceptions (like The metal tribute to ABBA) and this is clearly not one of them
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2016 9:29 am

Mighta posted this before, not sure, but I saw Enuff Z' Nuff in maybe 2003, sandwiched between Pretty Boy Floyd and Faster P*ssycat on the Metal Sludge tour. FP and PBF killed, but EZN is one of the most boring bands I have ever seen.

I had the debut when it came out. I liked it okay but it didn't get as much play as my other cassettes, for sure. But it's weird, EZN seems to have a pretty decent cult following, like Cheap Trick style kinda.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2016 12:43 pm

This album...

Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold - Page 2 Enuff-znuff-strength-20120511133126

...is the SHIT. Melodic as hell, full of hooks, got a nasty bite, and some great shred from Frigo. If you enjoy GNR and Cheap Trick but can't digest this album, then I don't know what to tell you.

True that their quality has gone to hell after Animals. And not having Donnie and Derek hasn't helped any. I refuse to even glance at this covers crap.

ZombieHavoc, I'm thinking you may have seen them after Donnie left. Chip's a terrible frontman and the band was a shell of itself at the time.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2016 12:47 pm

corplhicks wrote:
ZombieHavoc, I'm thinking you may have seen them after Donnie left. Chip's a terrible frontman and the band was a shell of itself at the time.

That is exactly the case. They were dressed like...kinda like indie rockers who'd rather be playing Morrissey covers...which is fine. But their energy, or lack of, was along the same lines. So PBF played their 8 songs to about 25 people but played like they were in front of a sold-out arena, and then more people were up front and standing when EZN played, but they seemed so bored by the whole thing. Left such a bad taste in my mouth.

I've tried Strength...maybe I'll try it again. CT comparisons I can buy all day long (though I like Trick and not Z' Nuff so much), but I don't remember any GNR in there. Ha, I'll listen with fresh ears....been a while.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2016 1:15 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

That is exactly the case. They were dressed like...kinda like indie rockers who'd rather be playing Morrissey covers...which is fine. But their energy, or lack of, was along the same lines. So PBF played their 8 songs to about 25 people but played like they were in front of a sold-out arena, and then more people were up front and standing when EZN played, but they seemed so bored by the whole thing. Left such a bad taste in my mouth.

I've tried Strength...maybe I'll try it again. CT comparisons I can buy all day long (though I like Trick and not Z' Nuff so much), but I don't remember any GNR in there. Ha, I'll listen with fresh ears....been a while.

Call it GnR lite. World is a Gutter and In Crowd have always reminded me of GnR. The whole album has bits and pieces of that LA rock-metal vibe throughout. Which is why I scratch my head whenever they're referred to as purely "power pop." Not saying they aren't but they're certainly metallic. Frigo himself was a metal shredder--his work in Le Mans (well, at least their debut) was riotous.

My only criticism of Strength is it's a bit too long at 14 tracks. They could've cut a ballad or two (although I find them all phenomenal, even the closer which is slightly novelty).

And I totally agree with anyone who thinks the band's flamboyant wardrobe was horrid. That Fly High Michelle video certainly earned its way to Beavis and Butthead, haha.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2016 1:54 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Call it GnR lite. World is a Gutter and In Crowd have always reminded me of GnR. The whole album has bits and pieces of that LA rock-metal vibe throughout. Which is why I scratch my head whenever they're referred to as purely "power pop." Not saying they aren't but they're certainly metallic. Frigo himself was a metal shredder--his work in Le Mans (well, at least their debut) was riotous.

My only criticism of Strength is it's a bit too long at 14 tracks. They could've cut a ballad or two (although I find them all phenomenal, even the closer which is slightly novelty).

And I totally agree with anyone who thinks the band's flamboyant wardrobe was horrid. That Fly High Michelle video certainly earned its way to Beavis and Butthead, haha.

Ok, I listened to it on Spotify (most of it) while running errands on my lunchbreak. A couple thoughts, without no full digestion of the album. Ha.

1. I still think a GNR comparison is overselling it a bit, but I'll accept the 'lite' stipulation.
2. I actually liked it better than I remembered or thought I would.
3. It sounds way more like a credible album than the almost novelty first album does, to me.
4. If I had bought it when it came out, I'd probably like it a lot. Since I was so lukewarm, even as a junior high kid, on the debut, it never got the chance.
5. If I had picked it up from the used bin in around 2000, I probably woulda liked it, as I was hardcore into checking out or re-visiting the albums from 91 through 94 that I ignored, overlooked or was not aware of at the time of release. So many good albums came out that I was just too punk rock to care about. Ha.
6. They definitely did the 91/92 thing and rocked a bit harder than their debut. Not Slave to the Grind harder, but you know. At that point, most bands were either trying to get heavier or get bluesier. Nothing wrong with that in my book though.
7. I forgot Frigo was in Le Mans...they did rule. I like both albums, actually.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2016 2:14 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

Ok, I listened to it on Spotify (most of it) while running errands on my lunchbreak. A couple thoughts, without no full digestion of the album. Ha.

1. I still think a GNR comparison is overselling it a bit, but I'll accept the 'lite' stipulation.
2. I actually liked it better than I remembered or thought I would.
3. It sounds way more like a credible album than the almost novelty first album does, to me.
4. If I had bought it when it came out, I'd probably like it a lot. Since I was so lukewarm, even as a junior high kid, on the debut, it never got the chance.
5. If I had picked it up from the used bin in around 2000, I probably woulda liked it, as I was hardcore into checking out or re-visiting the albums from 91 through 94 that I ignored, overlooked or was not aware of at the time of release. So many good albums came out that I was just too punk rock to care about. Ha.
6. They definitely did the 91/92 thing and rocked a bit harder than their debut. Not Slave to the Grind harder, but you know. At that point, most bands were either trying to get heavier or get bluesier. Nothing wrong with that in my book though.
7. I forgot Frigo was in Le Mans...they did rule. I like both albums, actually.

cool

Yeah I think it was around '95 or so when I saw Strength in the used bin, total blind buy, never heard of them except for the New Thing video. I was blown away. Then I bought the debut and Animals and was a tad let down. Both decent records, mind you, but nowhere near the heaviness and scope of Strength.

That second Le Mans album was so fricking poppy lol.

A funny story I should get off my chest regarding EZ. Like I said, my first exposure was the awful New Thing video (I kind of hate the song as well with it's neverending melody). So here I am as a (heterosexual) kid watching this garbage and there's one thing that keeps me watching: the f*cking gorgeous drummer. Yeah, I thought Vik was a chick who's clothes were barely covering her tits. But I had a massive crush on, uh, him, I guess. It was actually years later that I found out Vik Foxx is a dude. So my one fleeting experience with same-sex attraction in my life was thanks to Enuff Z'Nuff LOL.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2016 8:41 pm

Never liked anything these guys did. But, I trust the corps opinion so I might give em a chance someday. Right now I am trying to finish up discogs of some faves. Also, I have done 180's on bands that I couldn't stand in the '80's. An example would be last summer with Jetboy. I wouldn't give them a chance back in '88 and I absolutely fell in love with the first 2 albums. So, a man can change.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2016 4:48 pm

New-ish album coming from Chip and some chimps he's hired to fill out the rest of the "band"...

Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold - Page 2 Enuffznuffclownscd

"Clowns Lounge" track listing:

01. Dog On A Bone
02. Runaway
03. Back In Time
04. She Makes It Harder
05. Rockabye Dreamland
06. The Devil Of Shakespeare (feat. Jani Lane and James Young)
07. Radio
08. Good Luv
09. Round And Round
10. Nothing
11. Backstreet Kids
12. One More Hit

ENUFF Z'NUFF is:

Chip Z'nuff - Vocals, electric bass, guitar
Tony Fennell - Electric guitar, vocals
Tory Stoffregen - Lead guitar, vocals
Erik Donner - Drums, percussion, vocals

ENUFF Z'NUFF's new album, "Clowns Lounge", will be released on December 2 via Frontiers Music Srl.

"Clowns Lounge" is a collection of rarities and early demos that have been reworked and re-recorded by the band. This exceptional collection also features a guest appearance from the late Jani Lane (WARRANT) as well as an appearance from James Young of STYX.

As people have been clamoring for a new release from ENUFF Z'NUFF, the band just happened to receive a call from Derek Shulman, and the rest was history:

"We had unfinished, unreleased material in the vault, and I went back into the studio in Chicago and started working on all the songs," said Chip Z'nuff. "Guitars, bass, vocals, it all needed to be tweaked, and with help from Chicago Recording Company and Chris Steinmetz of Stonecutter recording studios, we were able to create another rock-solid record. It is basically an archival record featuring original band and ENUFF Z'NUFF as it is today. The record showcases the best elements of ENUFF Z'NUFF in the early days: in-your-face glitter rock with pop overtones. This is a true must have rock record for the diehard ENUFF Z'NUFF fans worldwide."

Chip on how the songs came about: "Donnie and I wrote the songs in the later part of 1988-89. They were recorded in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, on two-inch analog tape, during the time of our debut. The tracks were never finished, as we were very prolific and focused on laying down as many ideas as possible. Through the resources provided to us — recording studio, production, etc.— we had a plethora of songs during that era and, for one reason or another, this batch slipped through the cracks.

"To restore the record we returned to the studio to record guitar, bass vocals, etc. which took us about six weeks in my studio and at CRC (Chicago Recording Company) along with Stonecutter studio in downtown Chicago. The skeleton of the song was already in place and we wanted to make sure the record had the feel of where the band is today. We also added a bonus single track ('Dog On A Bone') that we plan on releasing as the first single."

Of course, a huge contributing member to this release was Donnie Vie. "Donnie and I wrote the songs together, as we have on all the ENUFF Z'NUFF albums," Chip continued. "In 2013, Donnie left the band, disillusioned by the business and facing related health issues, and although he will not tour with the band, he still shares in our vision of putting out great music. As he is dealing with his medical condition, we have his blessings on the record and moving forward with me as lead singer.

"When Peter Gabriel left GENESIS, Phil Collins took over lead vocal duties. That is exactly the template we used here as now I front the band and look forward to moving it into the future."

PostSubject: Re: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2