Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold

Go down 
+13
Eyesore
BillRoxx
Harold Benson
Glower
ZombieHavoc
manny
mikeinfla
Thrasher73
glassprison
assault_attack
corplhicks
MetalGuy71
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold Empty
PostSubject: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 3:45 pm

Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold Enuffznuffcoveredcd

"Covered In Gold" track listing:

01. Everything Works If You Let It (CHEAP TRICK cover)
02. Stone Cold Crazy (QUEEN cover)
03. She Sells Sanctuary (THE CULT cover)
04. All Apologies (NIRVANA cover)
05. Believe It Or Not (The Greatest American Hero theme)
06. The Jean Genie (DAVID BOWIE cover)
07. Run For Your Life (THE BEATLES cover)
08. When Doves Cry (PRINCE cover)
09. Tears Of A Clown (SMOKEY ROBINSON & THE MIRACLES cover)
10. The Stroke (BILLY SQUIER cover)
11. Yankee Rose (DAVID LEE ROTH cover)
12. Jealous Guy (JOHN LENNON cover)

Bonus tracks:
13. You've Got To Hide Your Love Away (live on "Howard Stern")
14. New Thing (live unplugged in London)

Celebrating an amazing 30 years as one of the hardest-working bands in show business, ENUFF Z'NUFF proudly presents this exciting new project, a heartfelt salute to the music and artists who have inspired them over the course of their three-decade career! "Covered In Gold", a collection of 12 brand new studio recordings, features an eclectic assortment of cover tunes including DAVID BOWIE's "The Jean Genie", NIRVANA's "All Apologies", PRINCE's "When Doves Cry", SMOKEY ROBINSON's "Tears Of A Clown" and lots more, all of which showcase this group's incredibly diverse yet supremely melodic sensibility. The album also includes two rare bonus tracks, a live unplugged version of the group's 1989 hit single "New Thing" plus another cover, of THE BEATLES' "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away", performed live on "The Howard Stern Show".

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 3:46 pm

ENOUGH ALREADY!!!
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39472

PostSubject: Re: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 3:56 pm

Meh, I wasn't that big of fan of them back in the day. This won't change anything. Cover albums rarely interest me.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 3:58 pm

Haters gonna hate, but I've always liked these guys. The name and look was goofy as hell, but they did write some great power-pop tunes. I've thoroughly enjoyed every album I've ever purchased from these guys.

Now with that part out of the way, I've got some bones to pick with this new release...

Quote :
a collection of 12 brand new studio recordings

Unless they went in and RE-recorded them with the current line-up, which I doubt, some of these tracks have appeared on other releases. I'd have to double-check, but I'm pretty sure I have the Cheap Trick, Cult, Bowie, DLR and John Lennon songs already. And not on some crazy Japanese imports or rare b-sides. Just regular album tracks or tribute albums.

The bonus track, 'You've Got To Hide Your Love Away' from the Howard Stern Show was already a bonus track on Welcome To Blue Island.

Quote :
heartfelt salute to the music and artists who have inspired them

Oh sure. The Nirvana influence has always been strong with them.

This album reeks of desperation. Lame.

EDIT: 05. Believe It Or Not (The Greatest American Hero theme) Ok, that one's cool  \'arry \'eadbanger

Last edited by MetalGuy71 on Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 4:00 pm

007 wrote:
Meh, I wasn't that big of fan of them back in the day. This won't change anything. Cover albums rarely interest me.

Me neither, I'm sick of them. And Enuff hasn't done anything for me since Animals. But those first few albums are terribly underappreciated.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39472

PostSubject: Re: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 4:10 pm

Can't say I hate them,just that I was never that impressed by them. They were lost in a vast sea of like bands.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 4:19 pm

007 wrote:
Can't say I hate them,just that I was never that impressed by them. They were lost in a vast sea of like bands.

The glammy look, peace signs and faux-hippy stuff never did 'em any favors, that's for sure. I goofed on them for years too before a friend of mine convinced me to actually listen to them. Beatles and Cheap Trick inspired power pop at it's finest in my not-so-humble opinion.

Honestly, I'm not even sure who's in the band anymore, other than namesake Chip Z'Nuff. Could just be him and a coupla chimps for all I know. Last I heard, Donnie Vie left the band and was cooking up meth in the Tennessee area. Seriously.

http://www.metalsludge.tv/?p=44818

Metal master
Metal master
assault_attack

Number of posts : 688

PostSubject: Re: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 4:44 pm

I think the singer sounds so much like Robin Zander it is scary.. That's all I got to say, lol..
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 5:05 pm

Yeah Chip is the only original in right now. Donnie bailed a couple years ago.

They were a phenomenal band with hella catchy tunes. First time i heard the album Strength (a blind but at the time) i was floored.
Back to top Go down
assault_attack
Metal master
Metal master
assault_attack

Number of posts : 688

PostSubject: Re: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 7:58 pm

assault_attack wrote:
I think the singer sounds so much like Robin Zander it is scary.. That's all I got to say, lol..

PS I do have more to say, lol... Nice cd cover. Nowwwwwww, That is all I hav e to say. Smile 
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2959

PostSubject: Re: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 8:16 pm

I saw them twice back in 2007 when Jonny Monaco was also on vocals, and wasn't impressed at all. Along with Tracii's new album this is another rare instance when a band/musician from my favorite genre releases something and I have no desire to even hear a sample from it.

I love Donnie's vocals, but following the gossip on Metal Sludge, it seems he's into some pretty serious trouble in Nashville these days. Too bad...
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 3:50 am

Metalsludge-now there's a car wreck you can't look away from.Haha

Anyway, as MG has pointed out they were a good band with a crappy image.Strength is a great album!
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 6:35 am

I'm interested. Never been a huge fan of them but I enjoy covers albums. I will listen to the samples once they are posted on iTunes (right now they are not there). Curious to hear one from my childhood, "Believe It Or Not". I've been going back and watching old episodes of the GAH on YouTube.

Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold 1300147-williamkatt
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 8:08 am

Cover albums are hit or miss with me, usually hit. I liked Enuff Z'nuff back in the day, and I still spin their first three albums from time to time, and great stuff.

Like someone said, I always saw them as 90's version of Cheap Trick.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

PostSubject: Re: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 8:48 am

Also, how many more plays on the word "cover" do you think are possible?
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 9:44 am

I was actually sold on their image from the get-go (I was 11 when their s/t came out). I remember buying the record after seeing "The New Thing" so much on MTV. I liked the album at the time. Re-visiting it as an adult--well, I don't care much for it at all now. And I've cared even less for the stuff I've tried to check out since then.

I saw them in, I don't know, 2004. It was Pretty Boy Floyd, Enuff Z Nuff and Faster P*ssycat. PBF opened and smoked (and they are one of, if not my favorite band ever, so). Then Enuff played and oh my god, it was one of the most boring sets I've ever had to sit through. Then FP came on and they smoked as well.

Any residual interest I may have ever had for Enuff Z Nuff died that night. So boring. I cannot overstate how bored I was.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

PostSubject: Re: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 9:50 am

Yeah, Johnny was doing vocals on that tour as well, I think. Donnie brings a lot to their live show, but seeing his performance at M3 a few years ago before he quit the band he looked blown out of his mind on stage. It's a shame because he has a decent voice, writes some great songs (I absolutely love his solo album Wrapped Around My Middle Finger).
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 10:04 am

I like these guys and I like cover albums, but my gut is telling me this is going to be a poorly produced, uninspired mess of an album.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3163

PostSubject: Re: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 1:14 pm

I always liked that CD with " Fly High Michelle " - " New Thing "
"In The Groove " " Indian Angel " - great guitar - vocals - melodies -
bought the CD for four bucks - original sounding at the time -
but their videos were way too flighty and feminine - too tye dye 1960ish -
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

PostSubject: Re: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 2:07 pm

For some reason I don't get into that first album too much. "New Thing" has one of the most annoying verse/chorus melodies.

I much preferred Strength for songs like "Baby Loves You," "The World Is A Gutter" and "Long Way To Go."

Animals with Human Intelligence was also a cool album. The two opening tracks, "Superstitious" and "Black Rain" are fantastic.

I also really liked the later albums like ? and Dissonance.

The albums in between those are pretty hit and miss.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 3:09 pm

I enjoy all of their albums to different degrees. Some are better than others, but no outright clunkers in the bunch as far as I'm concerned. Welcome to Blue Island comes close, but even that one has some charm.

The only one I don't own is Dissonance. Never been able to find a reasonably priced copy.

Metal novice
Metal novice
Harold Benson

Number of posts : 22

PostSubject: Re: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 3:33 pm

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm you know , this is one of that cases that I say "Didn´t hear it AND didn´t like it" ... how does this band sound like ? I am actually sick and tired of trying to find something "good" on 80´s glam "metal" bands , I tried listening to some , like Warrant , Trixter "Crystavox" this all sound like crap to me , IMO "real" hard rock is what was made on the late 60´s and the 70´s ...

Here´s some material for further discussion: I think the whole "glam" hard rock stuff was unleashed by "Lick It Up" by Kiss ...
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 3:53 pm

Harold Benson wrote:
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm you know , this is one of that cases that I say "Didn´t hear it AND didn´t like it" ... how does this band sound like ? I am actually sick and tired of trying to find something "good" on 80´s glam "metal" bands , I tried listening to some , like Warrant , Trixter "Crystavox" this all sound like crap to me , IMO "real" hard rock is what was made on the late 60´s and the 70´s ...

Here´s some material for further discussion: I think the whole "glam" hard rock stuff was unleashed by "Lick It Up" by Kiss ...

I would lay the claim, or blame on Def Leppard and Quiet Riot, suddenly any band who played a gig and a half in L.A. got a contract, big name producer and a songwriting doctors to help them craft their big power ballad.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 4:09 pm

Quote :
I am actually sick and tired of trying to find something "good" on 80´s glam "metal" bands

I'd recommend stop trying. You have an obvious bias against it, so why bother? Go listen to whatever it is that you DO like and leave the 80's glam "metal" to us posers.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

PostSubject: Re: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 10:58 pm

It turns out this album was recorded over a number of years and Donnie Vie is actually on some of the tracks. The samples are up at amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Covered-Gold-Enuff-ZNuff/dp/B00LJGV8XC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407552876&sr=8-1&keywords=Enuff+Z+Nuff+covered+in+gold

Some of them sound absolutely AWFUL. Some are not so bad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold   Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Enuff z'Nuff - Covered In Gold
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next