Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Opinions on Z-Rock bands that we never talk about

Go down 
+23
DallasBlack
CRIMSONMASK
Lurideath
Witchfinder
MetalGuy71
thejokeriv
Fat Freddy
Vexer6
Shawn Of Fire
ZombieHavoc
brokentulsa
Thrasher73
A Handful of Wayne
exact33
tohostudios
Headbanger Man
ultmetal
krokus
DeathCult
glassprison
corplhicks
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Opinions on Z-Rock bands that we never talk about - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Z-Rock bands that we never talk about   Opinions on Z-Rock bands that we never talk about - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 4:20 am

Yeah,the local rock channel here use to do Mandatory Metallica and Get the Led Out as well.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Z-Rock bands that we never talk about   Opinions on Z-Rock bands that we never talk about - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 4:20 pm

I loved Z-Rock when it was here, 99.1 FM. When they announced they were shutting down in 1996, I was pissed as this was not long after they ditched the original Headbangers Ball. The music I fell in love with in the early 90s was finally being given the boot (I knew it's popularity had fizzled, but I held out hope that there would always be a small amount available). Before I was able to buy plenty of music, I would record Z-Rock music onto blank tapes. I especially enjoyed their annual year end countdown that would last for several days. I remember every Sunday night at midnight they would dedicate several hours to the underground. They would play a lot of death metal as well as some traditional metal, thrash, and others. It was because of that that I discovered many bands, particularly two that would become some of my all time favorites, Helloween and Testament.

I remember staying up all night listening to their last hours. I still remember the last three songs (I've forgotten a lot of stuff over the years but that is one memory that has stuck):

Iron Maiden-Run To The Hills
Fates Warning-Oustide Looking In
Metallica-Fade To Black

The last song was very appropriate as when it was over, the station did fade to black. I turned off the radio and went to sleep (it was a school night after all). The next morning I turned on the radio just to see if it was all a bad dream but no Z-Rock. Instead my ears were assaulted with Tejano music. That further pissed me off because I live in TEXAS! Tejano music is everywhere. Why the hell did they get rid of the only good hard rock station in the area to replace it with Tejano music?! After nearly 20 years I've gotten over it but at the time I was really pissed.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Z-Rock bands that we never talk about   Opinions on Z-Rock bands that we never talk about - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 4:27 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
I knew it's popularity had fizzled, but I held out hope that there would always be a small amount available

This sentence, for whatever reason, reminded me of how when I was 10 years old and listening to GNR, Crue, etc, but not able to go see them live, I always planned that when I was a teenager, I'd see so many of those bands in concert.

In 1988, I guess I didn't plan that when I turned 16 in 1994, that would not really be much of an option any more. Ha.
Back to top Go down
Headbanger Man
Metal student
Metal student
Headbanger Man

Number of posts : 145

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Z-Rock bands that we never talk about   Opinions on Z-Rock bands that we never talk about - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 7:13 pm

A-Rock
B-Rock
C-Rock
Z-Rock ...
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Z-Rock bands that we never talk about   Opinions on Z-Rock bands that we never talk about - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 8:02 pm

surprised 
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Z-Rock bands that we never talk about   Opinions on Z-Rock bands that we never talk about - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 8:10 pm

I don't know what Z-Rock was all about as I never heard it. As for the bands listed, I only know Zodiac Mindwarp and then only Prime Mover that I love and Tigertailz that I don't.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3173

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Z-Rock bands that we never talk about   Opinions on Z-Rock bands that we never talk about - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 8:56 pm

Saw Fastway live - they were quite good - and made their mark on the scene for sure -
Fast Eddie - after Motorhead - not bad at all - though nowhere as popular -
" Waiting For The Roar " cd has some real car blasters on it -
this one tune is my favorite by them, almost has a vampire quality to it - blues / metal riff

Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Z-Rock bands that we never talk about   Opinions on Z-Rock bands that we never talk about - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 9:27 pm

KNAC in California was a similar station, and like Z-Rock, the last song they played was "Fade to Black" in 1995 and they were taken over by a Spanish station.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Z-Rock bands that we never talk about   Opinions on Z-Rock bands that we never talk about - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 9:39 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
KNAC in California was a similar station, and like Z-Rock, the last song they played was "Fade to Black" in 1995 and they were taken over by a Spanish station.

Like I'm sure California needed another Tejano station as well.
 lol! 
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Z-Rock bands that we never talk about   Opinions on Z-Rock bands that we never talk about - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 10:44 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
I loved Z-Rock when it was here, 99.1 FM. When they announced they were shutting down in 1996, I was pissed as this was not long after they ditched the original Headbangers Ball. The music I fell in love with in the early 90s was finally being given the boot (I knew it's popularity had fizzled, but I held out hope that there would always be a small amount available). Before I was able to buy plenty of music, I would record Z-Rock music onto blank tapes. I especially enjoyed their annual year end countdown that would last for several days. I remember every Sunday night at midnight they would dedicate several hours to the underground. They would play a lot of death metal as well as some traditional metal, thrash, and others. It was because of that that I discovered many bands, particularly two that would become some of my all time favorites, Helloween and Testament.

I remember staying up all night listening to their last hours. I still remember the last three songs (I've forgotten a lot of stuff over the years but that is one memory that has stuck):

Iron Maiden-Run To The Hills
Fates Warning-Oustide Looking In
Metallica-Fade To Black

The last song was very appropriate as when it was over, the station did fade to black. I turned off the radio and went to sleep (it was a school night after all). The next morning I turned on the radio just to see if it was all a bad dream but no Z-Rock. Instead my ears were assaulted with Tejano music. That further pissed me off because I live in TEXAS! Tejano music is everywhere. Why the hell did they get rid of the only good hard rock station in the area to replace it with Tejano music?! After nearly 20 years I've gotten over it but at the time I was really pissed.

I never thought what it would be like to hear the last of a dying radio station. I never got to hear KRZR when the had their final moments before switching to a station with a dance/dubstep format. I wonder which songs they played. How sad.

EDIT: just discovered the last song was Rage Against the Machine's Freedom. Okay then. They really were struggling.
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Z-Rock bands that we never talk about   Opinions on Z-Rock bands that we never talk about - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 1:53 am

thejokeriv wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Headbanger Man wrote:
WTF is Z-Rock ?

Z-Rock was an American radio network that broadcasted hard rock and metal 24-7 during the late 80s/early 90s.

As for the list of bands Unc posted: I heard most of those bands in my travels, but the only one I ever owned anything by was Fastway (the Trick or Treat soundtrack album).

Z-Rock was awesome....sadly only lasted 9 months where I lived at the time..... then the station switched to salsa music......

Up here in the PNW, back in the day, Z-Rock was an AM radio station, 1590 I believe...
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Z-Rock bands that we never talk about   Opinions on Z-Rock bands that we never talk about - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 12:32 pm

I saw Zodiac Mindwarp in San Francisco on their first tour....

Z-Rock never made to the Bay Area.... myself and several friends waited and waited but all the stations out here could do was play the Doobie Brothers with an occasional Boz Scaggs song.... Not quite that bad but we never heard the stuff listed earlier in this thread on the radio here.... pathetic....

Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Z-Rock bands that we never talk about   Opinions on Z-Rock bands that we never talk about - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Opinions on Z-Rock bands that we never talk about
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3