Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands.

Go down 
+7
TH Joe
MetalGuy71
Zé Metal & Company
mc666
DeathCult
ultmetal
manny
11 posters
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands. Empty
PostSubject: NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands.   NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 9:52 am

Read an article in Classic Rock Magazine regarding NWOBM, and the following bands I was unfamiliar with, Bitch's Sin, Blind Illusion, Satan, Demon, Avenger and Tygers of Pang Tang (only thing I know is John Sykes was once in this band). I trust the board members opinions and was wondering has anyone ever heard of any of these bands and what is your opinion on them and any recommendations. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands.   NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 10:11 am

Satan are a great band. Their band name is an unfortunate choice as it basically turned a lot of potential listeners off. They wisely chose to change their name.

Blind Illusion features most of the members of Satan, if I remember correctly. I think Blind Illusion also had many of the members of Angel Witch. I have the Blind Illusion CD and enjoy it quite a bit. If you enjoy bands like Diamond Head and Blitzkrieg you should enjoy Blind Illusion. Also check out Pariah, which is the speed metal band many of the Blind Illusion and Satan members formed.

Some of the Satan members later turned up in Skyclad.

Tygers of Pan Tang rule! One of those bands like Riot, TT Quick and Sword that never rose above the pack but really should have. Yes, John Sykes was in Tygers for a spell. Again, if you like bands like Diamond Head, early Def Leppard, etc you should dig Tygers of Pan Tang.

I'm totally unfamiliar with Demon's music.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands.   NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 10:16 am

ultmetal wrote:
Satan are a great band. Their band name is an unfortunate choice as it basically turned a lot of potential listeners off. They wisely chose to change their name.

Blind Illusion features most of the members of Satan, if I remember correctly. I think Blind Illusion also had many of the members of Angel Witch. I have the Blind Illusion CD and enjoy it quite a bit. If you enjoy bands like Diamond Head and Blitzkrieg you should enjoy Blind Illusion. Also check out Pariah, which is the speed metal band many of the Blind Illusion and Satan members formed.

Some of the Satan members later turned up in Skyclad.

Tygers of Pan Tang rule! One of those bands like Riot, TT Quick and Sword that never rose above the pack but really should have. Yes, John Sykes was in Tygers for a spell. Again, if you like bands like Diamond Head, early Def Leppard, etc you should dig Tygers of Pan Tang.

I'm totally unfamiliar with Demon's music.

Thanks for the info and the recommendations I will seek these albums, hopefully they have been released on CD.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands.   NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 11:12 am

Should be reviews of many of those bands on my site.

Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands.   NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 11:41 am

Blind Illusion is awesome and not to be missed, along with Tygers Of Pan Tang (one of my favorites from any genre) and Satan.

Demon is pretty terrible though, I tried about 3 of their albums and couldnt get into any of it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands.   NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 11:53 am

Read reviews on Avenger and Tygers of Pang Tang on Ni Life til Metal, gave me a good idea what the albums sound like, thanks Ult and Deathcult for your input.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands.   NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 12:01 pm

manny wrote:
Read reviews on Avenger and Tygers of Pang Tang on Ni Life til Metal, gave me a good idea what the albums sound like, thanks Ult and Deathcult for your input.

I suggest picking up Spellbound as your first Tygers album.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands.   NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 12:18 pm

DeathCult wrote:
manny wrote:

i prefer Wild Cat. it was all good though. i also like Satan.

mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands.   NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 12:20 pm

ultmetal wrote:
for a short time, however Satan must sell as they are still called Satan.

Zé Metal & Company
Metal novice
Metal novice
Zé Metal & Company

Number of posts : 72

PostSubject: Re: NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands.   NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 3:13 pm

NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands. B00005NY5K.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_
Dark Tower
Rip it Up
Woman in rock
NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands. Dstar2

Kaptain America
Lady of Mars
Lady Love

FANTASTIC !!!!!!!!
I got vinyl
BRUTALIZE 🤘
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands.   NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 4:39 pm

mc666 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
for a short time, however Satan must sell as they are still called Satan.

I guess there would be no real way to track it, but it would be interesting to see the amout of people turned off by a band named Satan as opposed to the number of people attracted to a band simply because of the name. Sort of like when they 1st put parental warning stickers on albums. Or Smuckers Jelly.

"With a name like Satan, they must be good"

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands.   NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 4:45 pm

the name Satan for a band sounds silly, I am not talking about their music just the name. To me if it sounds like a name a Hollywood film would use to name a band that was spoofing the genre.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands.   NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 5:46 pm

manny wrote:
the name Satan for a band sounds silly, I am not talking about their music just the name. To me if it sounds like a name a Hollywood film would use to name a band that was spoofing the genre.

I see what your saying, Manny, but ya gotta get Sherman to set the Wayback Machine to 1979 when these guys were new to the scene. The thought of "spoofing" heavy metal wasn't even a thought in Meathead's bald head at that time. Naming your band after the dude with the Golden Fiddle that like to challenge country rubes was probably the scariest thing you could do. Certainly scarier than a hearing-impaired leopard.

Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands.   NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 7:07 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Certainly scarier than a hearing-impaired leopard.
not by much

DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands.   NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 8:37 pm

mc666 wrote:
DeathCult wrote:
manny wrote:

i prefer Wild Cat. it was all good though. i also like Satan.

Wild Cat's my second favorite, two awesome albums along with Crazy Nights. The reason I suggest Spellbound is because that one really showcases their "classic" sound.
Back to top Go down
TH Joe
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
TH Joe

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands.   NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 3:01 am

The NWOBHM Avenger (different from the German band) is really cool. They're a lot like Grim Reaper kinda stuff. Their singer was no Steve Grimmett. But who is?
Back to top Go down
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands.   NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 11:09 am

Satan was one of those bands that I picked up purely on it's album cover. It was called Court In the Act. There was a poor drawing of the band on the back if I remember right. They were a pretty good band though, good vocals, good guitar and solid songs. I played it quite a bit back in the early 80s. These guys were early thrashers not the growlers that came a bit later.

Tygers of Pan Tang are great, the Diamond Head comparison is a good one. They are different but a very similar style. I like all that I have heard from them. Back in the day you could only get this band through the imports (at least in my town). They are worth tracking down.

Bitches Sin are also a good band, they are still around but their music isn't available in any store I have been in for many years. I bought one of their albums on vinyl back around 1983 and liked it but recently found some of their newer stuff available as downloads from a site called aimee street or something like that. Their style has changed a lot from that first album but they are still good.

Demon was another band I bought on cassette and vinyl way back when. I still have them but haven't played them in many years. If I remember right they didn't do a lot for me back then but as I have aged I may like them better now. For some reason a band that comes to mind as a comparison is Marillion but don't hold me to that.

These other bands you have mentioned I am not familiar with but other folks here seem to have that covered and I trust their opinions.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands.   NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands. Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 7:36 pm

I actually like Demon a lot. Their first two are sometimes considered classics, sort of a melodic Venom-lite sort of thing. Then they got very melodic and proggy, and alienated their NWOBHM fans. I like their proggy stuff though, very dark and weird, although cheesy like Nightwing. They have had several comebacks with more traditional music, but the songs are no good IMO. Definitely not for everyone.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25863

PostSubject: Re: NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands.   NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 6:48 pm

I recently heard a NWOBHM band called Aragorn that was pretty good. I know it's not who you asked about but these guys sounded good so you may want to check them out.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands.   NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 7:16 pm

Also check out "Quartz". They were Tony Iommi protoges. They were very early NWOBHM. Their NWOBHM classic is "Stand Up and Fight", but Thier best IMO is a comp of earlier stuff called "Satan's Seranade".
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4601

PostSubject: Re: NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands.   NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 7:39 pm

Whoa there fellas. You've got one band name COMPLETELY wrong. Blind Illusion did NOT play NWOBHM. They played thrash. I do believe you have confused the name Blind Illusion with the band Blind Fury. Now Blind Fury DID play NWOBHM, and released one album titled Out Of Reach.

DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands.   NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 8:22 pm

SideShowDisaSter wrote:
Whoa there fellas. You've got one band name COMPLETELY wrong. Blind Illusion did NOT play NWOBHM. They played thrash. I do believe you have confused the name Blind Illusion with the band Blind Fury. Now Blind Fury DID play NWOBHM, and released one album titled Out Of Reach.

I was talking about the thrash band actually.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands.   NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NWOBM Bands seeking opinions on these bands.
Page 1 of 1