Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Opinions on newer bands

Go down 
+4
James B.
MetalGuy71
tohostudios
manny
8 posters
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Opinions on newer bands Empty
PostSubject: Opinions on newer bands   Opinions on newer bands Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 6:16 am

I was reading Classic Rock Magazine and read about three bands (well more then that but I stick to three at a time) that are ones to watch in 2010. I did look them up on Youtube and not bad but I trust your opinions on this board so anyone have any opinon on the following three bands:

Big Elf

Astra

Eureka Machines?
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on newer bands   Opinions on newer bands Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 8:04 am

Here's some opinions on Astra:

http://www.heartofmetal.net/the-hurting-words-f7/astra-the-weirding-t10420.htm

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on newer bands   Opinions on newer bands Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 9:18 am

I fogot we discussed Astra before, sounds interesting. Thanks Toho for the reminder
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on newer bands   Opinions on newer bands Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 10:16 am

We've talked Bigelf too...

https://heartofmetal.niceboard.com/rip-f4/bigelf-cheat-the-gallows-t2601.htm?highlight=bigelf

I'm a fan of both Bigelf and newly aquired Astra. Never heard of Eureka Machines.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on newer bands   Opinions on newer bands Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 11:12 am

Cool thanks MG
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12618

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on newer bands   Opinions on newer bands Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 11:26 am

The "newer" band I really dig is Back Door Slam

thinks I'll go do some YouTubin...thanks Manny and others

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on newer bands   Opinions on newer bands Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 11:31 am

I'll do that when I get home and I will check out Back Door Slam.

Big Elf seems to be getting alot of press attention overseas, it could be because they are (or were ) touring with Dream Theatre.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on newer bands   Opinions on newer bands Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 11:41 am

Bigelf has allot going on in their music (Sabbath, Floyd, Beatles, Queen, etc.) but it somehow all works. Has a nice retro feel to it. They've put out quite a few albums and ep's already, so as far as "newer" goes, I guess it's more based on the fact that they finaly getting some recognition. And yea, I think about a year ago or so, they toured with Dream Theater. S (formerly of Fire) might have more to add. He's a fan. Eyesore too.

I'm listening to Eureka Machines on their myspace page. Catchy stuff. Don't know if I'd buy it, but catchy nonetheless.

http://www.myspace.com/eurekamachines

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on newer bands   Opinions on newer bands Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 12:26 pm

Of those three, Big Elf deserves the recognition.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12618

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on newer bands   Opinions on newer bands Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 12:45 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
Of those three, Big Elf deserves the recognition.

they are at least the most interesting of those three

Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on newer bands   Opinions on newer bands Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 1:03 am

Not familiar with all of them.

Only Big Elf.

Pretty good. But not something I'd probably buy though.

But again ... I'm not a huge Beatles, Queen, Pink Floyd kinda guy.

I'm pretty much a Black Sabbath kinda guy. Especially when Dio stepped in. That right there was the climax of metal history.

So most bands of this ilk dont' interest me a lot.

The closest to this caliber that I DO like is:

Halestorm

They are the new band to watch right now. If you like some female in your vocals that is ... I do. I like me some meow in my song.

Opinions on newer bands 253444
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on newer bands   Opinions on newer bands Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 1:05 am

CHECK THIS OUT BIATCHES!!!

NOW THIS IS TRUE FREEKING MODERN DAY HARD ROCK BOYZZ!!
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on newer bands   Opinions on newer bands Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 1:08 am

And ... get this.

Watch the whole thing too ... and what have we here ????

80s guitar solos and backing vocals???

YEAH!!!!
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on newer bands   Opinions on newer bands Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 1:10 am

AND DID I MENTION ... she is SOOOO HOTTXXX

Opinions on newer bands Icon_razz Opinions on newer bands Icon_razz Opinions on newer bands Icon_razz

I love the way she swings her hair!!!

Opinions on newer bands 253444
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on newer bands   Opinions on newer bands Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 10:01 am

Metallic Blaze wrote:

CHECK THIS OUT BIATCHES!!!

NOW THIS IS TRUE FREEKING MODERN DAY HARD ROCK BOYZZ!!

A buddy of mine is a big fan and gave me a cdr with a few tracks. It was ok sounding modern rock but nothing that stood out to me. And I'm real picky when it comes to female singers.

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on newer bands   Opinions on newer bands Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 11:52 am

Ugh, can't stand that. Derivative, corporate, female fronted rock. Delain is better.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on newer bands   Opinions on newer bands Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 11:55 pm

Delain is awesome!

But that's comparing apples to oranges.

Delain is symphonic gothic metal.

Halestorm is just flat out hard rock.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on newer bands   Opinions on newer bands Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 12:32 am

It's hard ofr me to get into new bands but Siena Root is effing awesome!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on newer bands   Opinions on newer bands Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 12:44 am

James B. wrote:
The "newer" band I really dig is Back Door Slam

thinks I'll go do some YouTubin...thanks Manny and others
Back Door Slam is outstanding. You got the latest, now called Davy Knowles and Back Door Slam? Kind of a lame name change, but still a great album.

Bigelf is fantastic as well. I was pimping them a long time ago and no one cared. Here and elsewhere. Then Hex dropped and people heard that Sabbath groove on "Madhatter," and all of a sudden they were the band to watch. Too bad I still see Hex for like $3.99 everywhere, and Cheat The Gallows, as far as I know, didn't sell well.

Still, I'd love it if they hit big this year. They're a brilliant band!

As for Halestorm, they're really good. I first heard them years ago after finding their One And Done live EP for $2 at Nuggets. A lot of people, especially those from PA, have issues with their business ethics. They're a parent-managed band who started when that singer was just a little girl. Guess they burned some bridges along the way.

But while they may have been bred for corporate success, I think there's a natural musical progression from album to album. They didn't just jump on whatever shiny new bandwagon was rolling through at the time. I dig 'em.

And that chick can sing her ass off.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on newer bands   Opinions on newer bands Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 12:50 am

I really don't listen to straight ahead "rock" anymore, so I'm pretty out of touch with that whole genre.

Even though they've been out for awhile now, I do like a group called "The Brought Low" that have a classic rock vibe to them.

Sam Roberts is awesome, too.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on newer bands   Opinions on newer bands Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 2:20 pm

Free Energy http://www.myspace.com/freeenergymusic

Pretty straight up Thin Lizzy meets Ac/Dc rock n roll..

I wish the singer was a little bit more aggressive sounding he reminds me of Rivers Cuomo from Weezer...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on newer bands   Opinions on newer bands Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Opinions on newer bands
Page 1 of 1