Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Great Cover Songs: Part II

Go down 
+26
rattpoison
Fat Freddy
powermacho
manny
XYZ
Schbopo
brontotex
the sentinel
MoonChild
Troublezone
DallasBlack
spiritoradio
Trial by Fire
Required Fields
MetalGuy71
Temple of Blood
Shiney
Rex
Thrasher73
iamrockerfun
thejokeriv
Hamer12
scottmitchell74
kmorg
mc666
ultmetal
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 11:35 am

ultmetal wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Quote :
Deliverance - "After Forever" (Black Sabbath) - I'm sure it raised some eyebrows in the Christian rock community when Deliverance covered this track. (Picture some guy at Intense Records going "Jimmy, you want to cover a Black Sabbath song? But...but...they're EVIL!"

The lyrics to that song are in favor of Christianity. Sabbath's songs are a mixed bag lyrically.

I know that, and you know that, but I'd wager that a lot of people at Deliverance's label (and who bought that album) didn't know that. Back in them days, anything involving Ozzy Osbourne = EEEEEEEEVIL!

Speaking of "After Forever," I thouht Biohazard did a decent job covering that song too (on the NATIVITY IN BLACK album), even though I never had much use for their original stuff...

I know for a fact that many Christians were "offended" that Deliverance would dare cover a Satanic band like Black Sabbath. Actually, the anti-rock preacher Jeff Goodwin even wrote about it in his book "What's Wrong with Christian Rock".

It doesn't matter what the lyrics are actually about. It's all about perception. Ultimatum have already received a few emails from concerned Christians about our "dabbling" in secular metal on this new release. Have we "gone secular"? Sheeesh! Rolling Eyes

The "holier than thou's" are really annoying sometimes with their finger pointing... the cover songs you chose were either old Christian metal or neutral metal anthems. In their eyes we shouldn't even listen to rock at all, just church music.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 12:05 pm

Troublezone wrote:

The "holier than thou's" are really annoying sometimes with their finger pointing... the cover songs you chose were either old Christian metal or neutral metal anthems. In their eyes we shouldn't even listen to rock at all, just church music.

The "holier than thou's" also seemed to have a problem with the denim-and-leather crotch shot on the CD cover, if memory serves. Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 1:12 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

The "holier than thou's" also seemed to have a problem with the denim-and-leather crotch shot on the CD cover, if memory serves. Laughing

Wonder if they have a problem with DLR's pelvic thrust? Razz
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 1:32 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

No joke - they are totally annoying.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 2:36 pm

OK not metal and It is a cliche to mention it but Johnny Cash's version of Nine Inch Nails 'Hurt' is not only great but it is better than the original.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 3:42 pm

A few excellent covers by Opeth that I've discovered recently:

Remember Tomorrow
Circle Of The Tyrants
Bridge Of Sighs
Would?
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 4:18 pm

Humble Pie-Black Coffee (Tina Turner)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqsMKvkzdwc
I think I'm falling in love with Steve Marriott.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 9:18 pm

Schbopo wrote:
Humble Pie-Black Coffee (Tina Turner)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqsMKvkzdwc
I think I'm falling in love with Steve Marriott.

It's classic, i think i've posted that video in quite a few other threads cause it's the dogs bollocks. The original I-Tina version is no slouch either.

Here's another Marriott cover version, Small Faces doing Willie Dixon's You Need Loving which Robert Plant did an exact cover of Marriott in Whole Lotta Love a few years later............

I'll take this one over Carly Simon.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 11:22 pm

Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 4 Icon_eek

I never knew this existed! It was a "hidden" track and Best Buy exclusive from The System Has Failed.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 10:00 am

Quote :
I never knew this existed! It was a "hidden" track and Best Buy exclusive from The System Has Failed.

I never heard that, but this track does appear on the Megadeth Warchest box set. I believe the liner notes said it was recorded for inclusion on the Kiss My A$$ tribute album, but was dropped from the line-up.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 10:27 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :

I never heard that, but this track does appear on the Megadeth Warchest box set. I believe the liner notes said it was recorded for inclusion on the Kiss My A$$ tribute album, but was dropped from the line-up.

Yes, quite a few bands recorded covers for the tribute that were not included. Galactic Cowboys recorded a smokin' cover of "I Want You" that was dropped as well. I like a lot of the dropped tracks better than what Gene decided to include on that disc.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 10:51 am

Quote :
Yes, quite a few bands recorded covers for the tribute that were not included. Galactic Cowboys recorded a smokin' cover of "I Want You" that was dropped as well. I like a lot of the dropped tracks better than what Gene decided to include on that disc.

Not too surprising when you look at the bands that did make the cut. Allot of alternative bands that were all the rage at the time of it's release back in '94.

I bet I (or anyone here) could make a far superior kick-ass collection of "metal" KISS covers with all the bands that have covered them over the years.

I might just do that.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 6:54 pm

We can get Cliffy to remaster all these songs and then we'll flood his PM box looking for copies. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 8:46 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:

Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 4 Icon_eek

AWESOME!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Great Cover Songs: Part II
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4