Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Great Cover Songs: Part II

Go down 
+26
rattpoison
Fat Freddy
powermacho
manny
XYZ
Schbopo
brontotex
the sentinel
MoonChild
Troublezone
DallasBlack
spiritoradio
Trial by Fire
Required Fields
MetalGuy71
Temple of Blood
Shiney
Rex
Thrasher73
iamrockerfun
thejokeriv
Hamer12
scottmitchell74
kmorg
mc666
ultmetal
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2007 12:38 am

Shiney wrote:
NOBODY (odd metalband from Spiritofradio's neck o' the woods, so Saxon says)...they do a nifty version of "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" which you must all know is the coolest Gordon Lightfoot tune ever....

Yup they are from around here. They're an all right band. "The Wreck of the..." is a fantastic song, awesome story song.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2007 12:40 am

Children of Bodom do a few good covers, Alice Cooper's "Bed of Nails", and "Aces High" are pretty sweet.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2007 1:29 am

Can I kind of be a dickhead for a second? Haha. I gotta say, I hate threads like this that just list song titles. It really serves no purpose that way. These threads work when people share. I like hearing these cool cover songs, you know?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2007 1:35 am

Rattling off the odd song title does seem a bit naff, so here's a page which gives you the relevant information as to where to find each cover version (albums etc):

http://www.brutalmetal.com/cgi-bin/coversearch.cgi

Lazy I know, but hey it's a good reference.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2007 8:14 am

Eyesore wrote:
Can I kind of be a dickhead for a second? Haha. I gotta say, I hate threads like this that just list song titles. It really serves no purpose that way. These threads work when people share. I like hearing these cool cover songs, you know?

NOBODY:

http://www.myspace.com/nobodymetal

I don't know if they have another site or not....

And you should'nt say dickhead....it's rude....
Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2007 11:44 am

Shiney wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

NOBODY:

http://www.myspace.com/nobodymetal

I don't know if they have another site or not....

And you should'nt say dickhead....it's rude....
Very Happy
Is peniscap better? Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2007 11:44 am

Thrust wrote:
Rattling off the odd song title does seem a bit naff, so here's a page which gives you the relevant information as to where to find each cover version (albums etc):

http://www.brutalmetal.com/cgi-bin/coversearch.cgi

Lazy I know, but hey it's a good reference.
That's a good site! Thanks. 🤘
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2007 6:09 pm

Old thread, sorry but I have to add my 2 cents.

Thunderstone does a great Sanitarium using a piano part to spice up the song.

Sonata Arctica also adds their own element to Metallica with Fade To Black and more recently, on Unia, they do an awesome rendition of Gary Moore's Out In The Fields.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2007 6:15 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Old thread, sorry but I have to add my 2 cents.

Thunderstone does a great Sanitarium using a piano part to spice up the song.
Great thread! lol!

People may hate me for saying this, but on that MTV Icon show a few years back, when they were honoring Metallica, Limp Bizkit—I think!—did a killer job covering "Sanitarium." I thought it was awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgFgaXZILtA 🤘

EDIT: Yeah, just watched it again, and that is just killer. Gives me goose bumps.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 4:07 am

Nevrmore - Revelation Mother Earth. (a leftover track from the godless endeaver album).
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 7:39 am

Electric Eye - Iron Maiden (Priest cover)
Mr. Crowley - Judas Priest (Ozzy cover)
It's Alright - Pantera (Sabbath cover)
Wasted Years - Helloween (Maiden cover)
Sabra Cadabra - Metallica (Sabbath cover)
Metal Gods - Primal Fear (Priest cover)
Seek and Destroy - Primal Fear (Metallica cover)
Phantom of the Opera - Stratovarius (Maiden cover)
Dust in the Wind - Scorpions (Kansas cover)

a few to list.....
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 10:19 am

Quote :
Electric Eye - Iron Maiden (Priest cover)
Mr. Crowley - Judas Priest (Ozzy cover)

Where are these from? Are they live bootlegs or studio?
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 10:36 am

I am not sure, they are not live as I hear it, I got it from FrostWire (LimeWire). But both those are awesome.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 11:00 am

MoonChild wrote:
I am not sure, they are not live as I hear it, I got it from FrostWire (LimeWire). But both those are awesome.

I never heard the Maiden cover, but is the Mr. Crowley cover with Ripper singing? If it is, it may be from an Ozzy tribute album that had Tim Owens with some other musicians (Yngwie maybe?), not the guys in Priest. I think it was called Bat's Head Soup: A Tribute to Ozzy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 11:37 am

Low Rider by Exodus

OK I'm kidding, I can't even act like I mean that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2007 8:18 pm

I am discovering the entire Saxon catalog finally, and ran across the coolest cover song I have heard in awhile. It's

Ride Like The Wind from the Destiny album.

Originally done by Christopher Cross. I always thought that would make a great metal song, and here Saxon did it in the 80's. Ya learn something new everyday!

It also sounds great on the Saxon Greatest Hits Live DVD I am watching presently.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2007 9:12 pm

Hey, this is a great thread! lol! Here's some more covers I really dig:

Icarus Witch - Mirror, Mirror (Look Into My Eyes) (Def Leppard)
Northern Kings - Broken Wings (Mr. Mister)
Dog Fashion Disco - Grease (from the Grease movie)

🤘
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2007 9:19 pm

Eyesore wrote:

🤘

That Icarus Witch cover is pretty awesome, Sore. Not as good as the original, but that is hard to top. I love the first 4 Def Leppard albums. ...and that is one of the best from High N Dry.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2007 9:44 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

🤘
That Icarus Witch cover is pretty awesome, Sore. Not as good as the original, but that is hard to top. I love the first 4 Def Leppard albums. ...and that is one of the best from High N Dry.
Yeah, it's a great cover. It's one of my favorite DL songs; top 3, easy. Cool that the band chose something obscure. And it's also cool that they pulled it off. Most DL covers suck because the band can't recreate a good sound. One of the best covers I've heard is from a no-name band:

Eric Knight Band - Foolin'

Awesome cover! The best DL cover I've heard, I think.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2007 9:57 pm

Eyesore wrote:

Well, let's agree on the Icarus Witch. I wasn't moved by the Eric Knight Band like you were.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2007 10:00 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Well, let's agree on the Icarus Witch. I wasn't moved by the Eric Knight Band like you were.
Poopyhead! angry
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2007 10:01 pm

Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 2 L_Shithead
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2007 11:12 pm

Metal Church - Highway Star. I have always felt it did justice to the original.
Back to top Go down
brontotex
brontotex

Number of posts : 446

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2007 8:42 am

Another great Def Leppard cover is "Wasted" by Seven Witches
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 2:44 pm

Resurrecting this old thread as I was discussing it on another board and come up with this short list:

One of my all time favorites is "Come Together" by Aerosmith. Not "metal" but still a great cover. As well, Judas Priest's cover of Joan Baez "Diamonds & Rust". In particular, I love the cover Ripper did on their '98 Live Meltdown CD. Molly Hatchet's cover of The Allman Brothers "Dreams I'll Never See" is outstanding as well.

Metallica - "Am I Evil?" (Diamond Head)
This cover turned me onto Diamond Head.

Ultimatum - "Burn" (Vengeance Rising)
I love this cover and am very proud of it. I am amazed at how many people think this is one of our original songs, especially in Europe.

Hammerfall - "Flight of the Warrior" (Riot)
Fantastic song to begin with, but Hammerfall really did it justice.

Hammerfall - "Back to Back" (Pretty Maids)
Wasn't a Pretty Maids fan before hearing this cover but discovered a new band I enjoy thanks to this cover. Because I heard the Hammerfall cover first, I tend to like it better.

Fates Warning "Sign of the Southern Cross" (Black Sabbath)
Jaw dropping awesome!

Anthrax - "Cowboy Song" (Thin Lizzy)
Great cover. I could probably make a list of 25-30 killer Thin Lizzy covers alone.

Six Feet Deep - "Jailbreak" (Thin Lizzy)
Its' just so over the top! I love it.

Nevermore - "Love Bites" (Judas Priest)
They just own this song and make it their own.

Raven & Udo - "Born to be Wild"
(Steppenwolf)
Greatest, most outrageous, over the top cover song ever!

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Great Cover Songs: Part II
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next