Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Great Cover Songs: Part II

Go down 
+26
rattpoison
Fat Freddy
powermacho
manny
XYZ
Schbopo
brontotex
the sentinel
MoonChild
Troublezone
DallasBlack
spiritoradio
Trial by Fire
Required Fields
MetalGuy71
Temple of Blood
Shiney
Rex
Thrasher73
iamrockerfun
thejokeriv
Hamer12
scottmitchell74
kmorg
mc666
ultmetal
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 2:48 pm

Also:
DEATH - "Painkiller" (Judas Priest)
Chuck give the vocal performance of his life here!

Maiden have done some exceptional covers:
"Cross Eyed Mary" (Jethro Tull)
"Massacre" (Thin Lizzy)
"King of Twilight" (Nektar)

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 3:54 pm

Thought of a few more:
CORONER "I Want You (She's so Heavy)" (Beatles)

VOIVOD "Astronomy Domine" (Pink Floyd)

SLAYER "Dissident Aggressor" (Judas Priest)

THIN LIZZY "Rosalie" (Bob Segar)

DELIVERANCE - "Surrender" (Stryper)

DELIVERANCE - "Sanctuary" (Daniel Amos)

POWERGOD - "SoldiersUnder Command" (Stryper)

REZ - "Bargain" (The Who)

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 5:15 pm

Quote :

The last time I saw Motorhead (a few months ago), they performed this song. Lemmy dedicated it to Phil. He said something about "a fellow bass player". It was pretty cool.

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :

The last time I saw Motorhead (a few months ago), they performed this song. Lemmy dedicated it to Phil. He said something about "a fellow bass player". It was pretty cool.

That would be cool to see. 🤘

Speaking of Motorhead

MOTORHEAD - "Enter Sandman" (Metallica)
I like it better than the original.

Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 6:40 pm

Megadeth's Sex Pistols covers
Quiet Riot's Slade covers
Van Halen's Kinks covers
Primus-The Thing That Should Not Be (Metallica)
Motley Crue-Helter Skelter (Beatles)
Judas Priest-The Green Manalishi (Fleetwood Mac)
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 7:08 pm

I like all of Van Halen's covers

You Really Got Me
Ice Cream Man
You're No Good (The solo is amazing. Everything after that is a little weak)
Where Have All the Good Times Gone!
(Oh) Pretty Woman
Dancing in the Street
Big Bad Bill (Is Sweet William Now)
Happy Trails
A Apolitical Blues
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 7:30 pm

Some of the ones I have are :

Holy Mother - Holy Diver (Dio)

WASP - Paint it Black (Rolling Stones)

Flotsam & Jetsam / Suicidal Tendencies - Battery (Metallica)

Seven Witches - See you in Hell (Grim Reaper)

Grave Digger - Runing Free (Iron Maiden)

George Lynch - Mr. Crowley (Ozzy Osbourne)

Reverend - Fortunate Son (C.C.R.)

Primal Fear - Out in the Fields (Gary Moore)

Mercyful Fate - The Ripper (Judas Priest)

Holy Moses - Black Metal (Venom)

Sepultura - Orgasmatrol (Motorhead)

Dark Moor - Halloween (Helloween)

Benedictum - Balls to the Wall (Accept)

Sinister - Storm in your Mind (Possessed)

Metallica - Die, Die My Darling (Misfits)

Faster Pu$$ycat - You're so Vain (Carly Simon)

Skyclad - Emerald (Thin Lizzy)

Racer X - Detroit Rock City (Kiss)

Avulsed - Ace of Spades (Motorhead)

Malevolent Creation - Raining Blood (Slayer)

Motorhead - It's a Long Way to the Top (AC/DC)

WASP - The Real Me (The Who)

Tigertailz - Creeping Death (Metallica)
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 10:16 pm

Iron Maiden-Ce Soir (Golden Earring)
AC/DC-School Days (Chuck Berry)
KISS-Do You Remember Rock and Roll Radio? (The Ramones)
Aerosmith-Love Me Two Times (The Doors)
Danzig-Trouble (Elvis Presley)
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 10:44 pm

dio with yngwie - dream on(aerosmith)
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 11:25 pm

Quote :
KISS-Do You Remember Rock and Roll Radio? (The Ramones)

Something bothers me about KISS' cover. I don't remember where I saw it, but when this Ramones tribute album came out, all the artists that contributed to it had cool things to say about the Ramones and how honored they were to be a part of this.Everyone that is except Gene Simmons.

His quote was something to the effect of "Yea, the Ramones were around the same time as us and we knew of them, but we weren't really influenced by them. We were doing our own thing." Now that's all well and good, but then why perform on a tribute album to them. Since this was produced by Rob Zombie, I'm sure being the fan-boy that he is of KISS, had something to do with them being on it. But Gene just came off as a real douche (I know, shocking!). You don't have to be like Eddie Vedder and swing from Dee Dee's nutsack, but at least pretend that you like the band you're paying tribute too or don't bother doing it at all.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 11:55 pm

kiss - god gave rock and roll to you Cool
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 12:00 am

All of these bands covered Big Bill Bronzy's 'Baby Please Don't Go'

AC/DC
The Amboy Dukes
Aerosmith
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 9:03 am

Some of my faves:

Jag Panzer - "Children of the Sea" (Black Sabbath) - from the HOLY DIO tribute album, JP's version damn near gives the original a run for its money.

Bad Biscut - "Kids in America" (Kim Wilde) NJ punk/hard rockers take an early 80s new wave hit and mosh it up a little.

Deliverance - "After Forever" (Black Sabbath) - I'm sure it raised some eyebrows in the Christian rock community when Deliverance covered this track. (Picture some guy at Intense Records going "Jimmy, you want to cover a Black Sabbath song? But...but...they're EVIL!" Heh heh). I love when they slip into the riff from "Symptom of the Universe" for a couple of seconds in the middle of the song. 🤘

Speaking of which... Sepultura did a pretty killer cover of "Symptom of the Universe" on the NATIVITY IN BLACK Sabbath tribute... I've seen them do that one live too and it crushes, as does their cover of Motorhead's "Orgasmatron"

Metallica - they've always had a knack for picking cool covers of course, but my faves of theirs would be their takes on the Anti-Nowhere League's "So What," Diamond Head's "Am I Evil?" and Sweet Savage's "Killing Time"

Ramones - "Surfin' Bird" (The Trashmen) They used to play this one at every show and it always brought the house down.

Overkill - "Space Truckin'" (Deep Purple) -- you can almost see the grin on Blitz's face when they tear through this one.

Metal Church - "Highway Star" (Deep Purple) - as mentioned in another thread, this is one of the best DP cover songs ever recorded!

I could go on and on, but those will do for now.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 12:05 am

I love the Dirtbombs version of Phil Lynott's "Ode To A Black Man"............

The studio version on the Dirtbombs classic record "Ultraglide In Black" has some killer harmonica playing and i thought it was wise of them to exclude the Robert Mugabe line in their version. It's quite a rarity in it's the only cover of a Phil Lynott solo song i've heard outside of Hanoi Rocks' version of "Dear Miss Lonely Hearts"!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 12:27 am

Quote :
Deliverance - "After Forever" (Black Sabbath) - I'm sure it raised some eyebrows in the Christian rock community when Deliverance covered this track. (Picture some guy at Intense Records going "Jimmy, you want to cover a Black Sabbath song? But...but...they're EVIL!"

The lyrics to that song are in favor of Christianity. Sabbath's songs are a mixed bag lyrically.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 8:07 am

manny wrote:
All of these bands covered Big Bill Bronzy's 'Baby Please Don't Go'

AC/DC
The Amboy Dukes
Aerosmith

And the ultimate version on Ted Nugent's Double Live Gonzo. 🤘

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 9:08 am

Lil Suzy by Tesla

tryin to remember who did the orignal but it escapes me surprised
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 10:04 am

James B. wrote:
Lil Suzy by Tesla

I had no idea that was a cover! Weird.

I looked it up and it was originally done by a British group called Ph.D. and was titled "Little Suzi's On the Up". Tesla shortened it to "Little Suzi".

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 10:20 am

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :
Deliverance - "After Forever" (Black Sabbath) - I'm sure it raised some eyebrows in the Christian rock community when Deliverance covered this track. (Picture some guy at Intense Records going "Jimmy, you want to cover a Black Sabbath song? But...but...they're EVIL!"

The lyrics to that song are in favor of Christianity. Sabbath's songs are a mixed bag lyrically.

I know that, and you know that, but I'd wager that a lot of people at Deliverance's label (and who bought that album) didn't know that. Back in them days, anything involving Ozzy Osbourne = EEEEEEEEVIL!

Speaking of "After Forever," I thouht Biohazard did a decent job covering that song too (on the NATIVITY IN BLACK album), even though I never had much use for their original stuff...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 10:32 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

I know that, and you know that, but I'd wager that a lot of people at Deliverance's label (and who bought that album) didn't know that. Back in them days, anything involving Ozzy Osbourne = EEEEEEEEVIL!

Speaking of "After Forever," I thouht Biohazard did a decent job covering that song too (on the NATIVITY IN BLACK album), even though I never had much use for their original stuff...

I know for a fact that many Christians were "offended" that Deliverance would dare cover a Satanic band like Black Sabbath. Actually, the anti-rock preacher Jeff Goodwin even wrote about it in his book "What's Wrong with Christian Rock".

It doesn't matter what the lyrics are actually about. It's all about perception. Ultimatum have already received a few emails from concerned Christians about our "dabbling" in secular metal on this new release. Have we "gone secular"? Sheeesh! Rolling Eyes

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 10:37 am

ultmetal wrote:

I know for a fact that many Christians were "offended" that Deliverance would dare cover a Satanic band like Black Sabbath. Actually, the anti-rock preacher Jeff Goodwin even wrote about it in his book "What's Wrong with Christian Rock".

It doesn't matter what the lyrics are actually about. It's all about perception. Ultimatum have already received a few emails from concerned Christians about our "dabbling" in secular metal on this new release. Have we "gone secular"? Sheeesh! Rolling Eyes

Yea, I remember seeing a hardcore anti-Christian rock web site awhile back (y'know, the ones that claim "all rock music is evil by nature and therefore so-called Christian Rock is not of the Lord") that mentioned Deliverance's "After Forever" cover as absolute proof that Deliverance weren't Christian because they were covering an "evil" band like Black Sabbath... I thought "OK, obviously nobody bothered to read the lyrics to that song... morons..."

You should post some of those e-mails you've gotten about the covers CD, Ult. I bet they'd be entertaining reading. Laughing

Back to top Go down
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 819

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 10:40 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
James B. wrote:
Lil Suzy by Tesla

I had no idea that was a cover! Weird.

I looked it up and it was originally done by a British group called Ph.D. and was titled "Little Suzi's On the Up". Tesla shortened it to "Little Suzi".

That is so weird, as I had no idea that it was a cover either. 23 years since it came out, and only it was only this thread that informed me on this.
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 10:46 am

tankard - iron maiden🤘
tankard - son of a smurfette
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 11:14 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

You should post some of those e-mails you've gotten about the covers CD, Ult. I bet they'd be entertaining reading. Laughing

I thought about it, but I don't want people to mock them. We've explained our postition to them and left it at that.

However, I will start a thread based on the comments of a Christian about the new Mortification CD. A Christian was upset that Steve Rowe would dare wear a Saxon shirt and have a Metallica patch in his band photos.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 11:18 am

ultmetal wrote:

However, I will start a thread based on the comments of a Christian about the new Mortification CD. A Christian was upset that Steve Rowe would dare wear a Saxon shirt and have a Metallica patch in his band photos.

Hahaha, that should be entertaining.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Great Cover Songs: Part II   Great Cover Songs: Part II - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Great Cover Songs: Part II
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next