Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Great Songs - On Terrible Albums

Go down 
+19
Gilbert
Hadley
Vexer6
John Madden
Boris2008
MoonChild
brokentulsa
Wrecked Neck
80s Metal Lady
Eyesore
Glower
Required Fields
stpatrik
ultmetal
Fat Freddy
Sword Of The Heretic
Lari
mc666
Witchfinder
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

Great Songs - On Terrible Albums Empty
PostSubject: Great Songs - On Terrible Albums   Great Songs - On Terrible Albums Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2016 10:34 am

There are many, many terrible albums out there and some of them feature one or two great songs. What are your favorites gems in a sea of crap?
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Great Songs - On Terrible Albums   Great Songs - On Terrible Albums Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2016 10:38 am

The one the immediately springs to mind for me is Judas Priest - "Reckless" from the terrible Turbo album.  Tacked on as the last track on the second side of the album, it's a notable departure from the rest of the cuts.  It's the kind of straight-forward heavy metal that Priest pioneered and became known for.  It was originally intended for the Top Gun movie soundtrack but did not make the cut and ended up on Turbo.  I'd like to hear it with a different production and without the synth-guitars, but I've always loved this song.

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Great Songs - On Terrible Albums   Great Songs - On Terrible Albums Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2016 11:24 am

Like Whiskey Straight from Doro's Machine II Machine album. Such a great song on a disappointing album. Also, Unnatural Act from L.A. Guns American Hardcore album. That album sucked, but that song was pretty catchy & heavy.

Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Great Songs - On Terrible Albums   Great Songs - On Terrible Albums Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2016 8:09 pm

Saxon - Crusader

First thing I thought of. What an incredible song! A heavy metal classic.
Back to top Go down
Sword Of The Heretic
Metal master
Metal master
Sword Of The Heretic

Number of posts : 605

PostSubject: Re: Great Songs - On Terrible Albums   Great Songs - On Terrible Albums Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2016 8:23 pm

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Great Songs - On Terrible Albums   Great Songs - On Terrible Albums Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2016 9:22 pm

Megadeth - "Prince of Darkness" (from Risk)
W.A.S.P. - "Killahead" (from K.F.D.)
Savatage - "Hyde" and "Red Light Paradise" (from Fight For the Rock)

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Great Songs - On Terrible Albums   Great Songs - On Terrible Albums Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 5:23 pm

"Shadows" and "Zuid Afrikan" on REZ - Between Heaven & Hell

Last edited by ultmetal on Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Great Songs - On Terrible Albums   Great Songs - On Terrible Albums Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 5:23 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Megadeth - "Prince of Darkness" (from Risk)
W.A.S.P. - "Killahead" (from K.F.D.)
Savatage - "Hyde" and "Red Light Paradise" (from Fight For the Rock)

I kinda like "Crush 'Em" because it's a fun hockey barn song, though it would have been better coming from somebody other than Megadeth.

Metal student
Metal student
stpatrik

Number of posts : 145

PostSubject: Re: Great Songs - On Terrible Albums   Great Songs - On Terrible Albums Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 5:32 pm

I recall "Reckless" being offered the soundtrack but Priest declined because then it had to be omitted from Turbo for some reason.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Great Songs - On Terrible Albums   Great Songs - On Terrible Albums Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 5:46 pm

Lari wrote:
Saxon - Crusader

Good call.

Although the album might not be terrible, it was by far the weakest thing they did up to that point otherwise. That song, though, would have left one to believe we'd be getting the best Saxon to date if they heard that song at the beginning.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Great Songs - On Terrible Albums   Great Songs - On Terrible Albums Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2016 6:44 pm

Rock goddess young and free release...
Streets of the City...is only good tune.
Krokus, heart attack release....
Wild Love...is the true stand out...andLet It Go....
Fastway, s/t, Say What You Will....everything else is blah...
Ace, second sighting, Insaine...and Dancing with Danger
Saints And Sinners...lesson of love, takin my chances...
There were plenty of 80s releases that only had one or two.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Great Songs - On Terrible Albums   Great Songs - On Terrible Albums Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2016 7:39 pm

Sword Of The Heretic wrote:

Interesting. I think that song blows, like all the other songs, except this one:

Such a great tune! But that album is dreadful otherwise.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Great Songs - On Terrible Albums   Great Songs - On Terrible Albums Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2016 7:39 pm

I wouldn't say either Engine album is terrible, but they're not great by any means. This song, however, is fantastic.

Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Great Songs - On Terrible Albums   Great Songs - On Terrible Albums Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2016 8:42 pm

Required Fields wrote:
Lari wrote:
Saxon - Crusader

Good call.

Although the album might not be terrible, it was by far the weakest thing they did up to that point otherwise. That song, though, would have left one to believe we'd be getting the best Saxon to date if they heard that song at the beginning.

I'm not crazy about that album, either, but I love "Sailing to America." I like it better than the title track.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Great Songs - On Terrible Albums   Great Songs - On Terrible Albums Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2016 9:38 pm

I think that song is pretty good, too.

"Set Me Free" is good, but the Heathen version is far better, in my opinion. Then again, I actually heard the Heathen version first.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Great Songs - On Terrible Albums   Great Songs - On Terrible Albums Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2016 10:32 pm

Required Fields wrote:
I think that song is pretty good, too.

"Set Me Free" is good, but the Heathen version is far better, in my opinion. Then again, I actually heard the Heathen version first.

After hearing the orchestrated version of "Crusader," I can't go back to the original.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Great Songs - On Terrible Albums   Great Songs - On Terrible Albums Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2016 11:31 pm

This song comes to mind for me. I first heard it on metal massacre V way back when and always loved it.

Fast forward twenty-five years later and I picked up a copy of the album it's on called Fun at the Funeral for about five bucks on eBay. it's by far one of the worse albums I've ever listened to. At least it was cheap...
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Great Songs - On Terrible Albums   Great Songs - On Terrible Albums Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2016 3:43 am

On a whole this album wasn't that great but this song from it rocked..

another one that comes to mind is this song...a song from MASI

Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Great Songs - On Terrible Albums   Great Songs - On Terrible Albums Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2016 11:14 am

Clansman from Virtual XI - Iron Maiden
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Great Songs - On Terrible Albums   Great Songs - On Terrible Albums Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2016 11:53 am

I've always wondered what this song would have sounded like had it been on Defenders

Back to top Go down
John Madden
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

Number of posts : 279

PostSubject: Re: Great Songs - On Terrible Albums   Great Songs - On Terrible Albums Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2016 3:50 pm

Though I enjoy "Watch the Children Pray",The Dark has a really flat production and the songs sound depressing to me for some reason.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Great Songs - On Terrible Albums   Great Songs - On Terrible Albums Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2016 4:54 pm

Bride-Fist Full of Bees is mostly terrible, but i'll admit "Too Tired" is pretty catchy and not so bad if I close your eyes and pretend it's a Limp Bizkit song.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Great Songs - On Terrible Albums   Great Songs - On Terrible Albums Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2016 9:48 pm

Quiet Riot-Stay with Me Tonight from the 1988 s/t
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Great Songs - On Terrible Albums   Great Songs - On Terrible Albums Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2016 11:08 pm

John Madden wrote:
Though I enjoy "Watch the Children Pray",The Dark has a really flat production and the songs sound depressing to me for some reason.

Rolling Eyes

Topic with "terrible albums", and you first think of The Dark by Metal Church... Shocked
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Great Songs - On Terrible Albums   Great Songs - On Terrible Albums Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2016 2:45 am

Metal church? Wow! Strange. The whole album smokes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Great Songs - On Terrible Albums   Great Songs - On Terrible Albums Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Great Songs - On Terrible Albums
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next