Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best hair metal guitarist

Go down 
+20
shamgar75
Onkel Ben
Dave the Boss
Lari
Schbopo
sam
James B.
thejokeriv
XYZ
Thrasher73
DeathCult
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
manny
metalhead777
Smindas
INVADERS
Leatherface
mc666
Troublezone
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Pick
1. George Lynch
Best hair metal guitarist - Page 2 Vote_lcap60%Best hair metal guitarist - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 60% [ 15 ]
2. Warren Demartini
Best hair metal guitarist - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%Best hair metal guitarist - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 20% [ 5 ]
3. Reb Beach
Best hair metal guitarist - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%Best hair metal guitarist - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 20% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 25

AuthorMessage

Best hair metal guitarist - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best hair metal guitarist   Best hair metal guitarist - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 10:33 am

detuned wrote:
Back in the 80's there used to be a term called "pop metal", which was what was generally used for bands like Dokken, White Lion, etc. I have no problem with using that label because it doesn't have the negative connotations that are associated with the term hair metal.

My buddies and I used to call it "Commercial Metal"...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best hair metal guitarist   Best hair metal guitarist - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 1:09 pm

I went with Reb and almost feel guilty about it as Lynch is such a great guitarist.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Best hair metal guitarist   Best hair metal guitarist - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 1:29 pm

Lynch
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Best hair metal guitarist   Best hair metal guitarist - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 1:35 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
I went with Reb and almost feel guilty about it as Lynch is such a great guitarist.

I was never much of a Winger fan, but I did get to see Reb live during his brief tenure with Dokken and I was thoroughly impressed with his axe-skills. Not incredibly flashy, but impressive nonetheless.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Best hair metal guitarist   Best hair metal guitarist - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 1:52 pm

Lynch - all three are good, but Lynch out of that list
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Best hair metal guitarist   Best hair metal guitarist - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 3:36 pm

of those choices, Lynch...

The guy from Shotgun Messiah was talented, perhaps nothing original ? nonetheless, talented.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Best hair metal guitarist   Best hair metal guitarist - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 6:50 pm

from this list beach, otherwise I would go with MAB.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Best hair metal guitarist   Best hair metal guitarist - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 6:53 pm

Eddie Van Halen just kidding
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Best hair metal guitarist   Best hair metal guitarist - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 6:55 pm

Schbopo wrote:
Eddie Van Halen just kidding

Some would say they're hair metal, but they were definitely more darker than the average hair band (Women And Children First, Fair Warning).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best hair metal guitarist   Best hair metal guitarist - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 7:24 pm

Lynch rules.

Warren Demartini, Michael Sweet and Oz Foz are all great.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Best hair metal guitarist   Best hair metal guitarist - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 6:16 am

I'll go with Lynch, too.

But how about Nuno Bettencourt? He'd be my number two choice.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: Best hair metal guitarist   Best hair metal guitarist - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 7:19 am

Mick Mars. I've always dug his bluesy style.
Back to top Go down
Onkel Ben
Metal novice
Metal novice
Onkel Ben

Number of posts : 42

PostSubject: Re: Best hair metal guitarist   Best hair metal guitarist - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 3:52 pm

Lynch I suppose, but all deserve honorable mentions!
Back to top Go down
shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

PostSubject: Re: Best hair metal guitarist   Best hair metal guitarist - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 11:28 pm

Vito Bratta - White Lion

Always thought that he had such great guitar tones.

🇬🇹
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Best hair metal guitarist   Best hair metal guitarist - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 5:58 am

Well in that ERA of hair bands I will choose:

Vito Bratta and Nuno Bettencourt although these aren't hair bands IMO.
Back to top Go down
shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

PostSubject: Re: Best hair metal guitarist   Best hair metal guitarist - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 8:54 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:

True, but they are lumped into that category so I voted as so. Best hair metal guitarist - Page 2 604261
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Best hair metal guitarist   Best hair metal guitarist - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 9:06 pm

Dave the Boss wrote:
Mick Mars. I've always dug his bluesy style.

I am a Motley Crue fan, but Mick Mars to me is a horrid guitarist, lucky he hooked up with Motley Crue who are even worse musicians then he is. Like I said I am fan (grew up in the 80's) but if I were to make a list of my top 2000 favorite guitar playersof all time, Mick Mars would rank at # 2010.

Last edited by manny on Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Best hair metal guitarist   Best hair metal guitarist - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 10:05 pm

Mick Mars would make it to my top #1000 quite easily, I'd think. Wink

But honestly it'd mostly be because of his accolades of being involved with Motley Crue. So yeah, he's no virtuoso. And I'm not even that anal about technical skill, but Mars really doesn't have a very exciting way of playing no matter how you look at it.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Best hair metal guitarist   Best hair metal guitarist - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 1:01 am

shamgar75 wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:

True, but they are lumped into that category so I voted as so. Best hair metal guitarist - Page 2 604261

All of them have been a part of the hair metal scene in some way at some time in their careers. Doesn't mean they didn't branch out later though.
Back to top Go down
Martin
Metal novice
Metal novice
Martin

Number of posts : 41

PostSubject: Re: Best hair metal guitarist   Best hair metal guitarist - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 2:45 pm

From the list: Lynch.

But my fave is probably Jake E. Lee with Richie Sambora close behind.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Best hair metal guitarist   Best hair metal guitarist - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 9:31 pm

James B. wrote:

The guy from Shotgun Messiah was talented, perhaps nothing original ? nonetheless, talented.

Here I thought I'd be the only guy who'd mention Harry Cody of S.M. -- great stuff, especially on the SECOND COMING album...

Others that I don't believe have been mentioned yet...Marc Ferrari of Keel (dunno exactly why but I always dug his playing), Akira Takasaki of Loudness (who may not have been purely a "hair metal" band but they did put out some very slick, commercialized stuff in the '80s)

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Best hair metal guitarist   Best hair metal guitarist - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 9:44 pm

I always forget about Akira Takasaki when great guitar players of the 80's is the topic, but that guy is a monster and one of the sweetest guitar tones out of any pop/hair metal band, but in reality I never considered them a pop or hair metal band.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Best hair metal guitarist   Best hair metal guitarist - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 11:26 pm

Carlos Cavazo is another guy I've always enjoyed.
Back to top Go down
shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

PostSubject: Re: Best hair metal guitarist   Best hair metal guitarist - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 11:54 pm

Troublezone wrote:
shamgar75 wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:

All of them have been a part of the hair metal scene in some way at some time in their careers. Doesn't mean they didn't branch out later though.

I agree totally - good point. cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best hair metal guitarist   Best hair metal guitarist - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2009 9:21 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:

White Lion is most certainly hair metal.

Yellow spandex = Hair metal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best hair metal guitarist   Best hair metal guitarist - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best hair metal guitarist
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next