Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

FAITH FACTOR - Against a Darkened Sky

Go down 
+9
_Wes
MetalFRO
ultmetal
Thrasher73
Troublezone
7thSaviour
Olafsto
kmorg
Temple of Blood
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

FAITH FACTOR - Against a Darkened Sky - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAITH FACTOR - Against a Darkened Sky   FAITH FACTOR - Against a Darkened Sky - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 10:25 am

Rex wrote:
I have to disagree. If you know something is out of key, instead of using protools to fix it, why not go back and do another take to get it right? That's all I'm saying. You guys are the ones throwing in the aftereffects. I'm saying, DO IT OVER, not APPLY FIX-UPS.

OK, I see your point. I can understand another take.
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: FAITH FACTOR - Against a Darkened Sky   FAITH FACTOR - Against a Darkened Sky - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 10:27 am

Thanks Spec. I also understand what you and Kurt were saying too. I just think we got our wires crossed to a degree.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: FAITH FACTOR - Against a Darkened Sky   FAITH FACTOR - Against a Darkened Sky - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 10:31 am

Well, I for one don't think there were any off-key notes. I think there were a couple that were hit a bit shaky, but didn't necessarily require a do-over.

This is a great album in so many ways. But I love how the flower metal crowd only cares about having Geoff Tate vocals and riff-less wimp metal to tide themselves over until the next Journey album comes out. This band has more than just a killer vocalist, it has great riffs, arrangements, and drumming too. It's so much better than the flower metal junk it's not even in the same ballpark. I can see some people (especially non-Christians) thinking some of the lyrics might be cheesy but the music is really, really good .... especially compared to similar product in today's scene.
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: FAITH FACTOR - Against a Darkened Sky   FAITH FACTOR - Against a Darkened Sky - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 10:39 am

Now you are going to far. Whoever in the friggin world said ANYTHING about what you said in your second paragraph?
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: FAITH FACTOR - Against a Darkened Sky   FAITH FACTOR - Against a Darkened Sky - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 2:17 pm

Cheesy lyrics in metal? Say it isn't so! lol!

Last edited by candlemass on Fri May 22, 2009 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: FAITH FACTOR - Against a Darkened Sky   FAITH FACTOR - Against a Darkened Sky - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 3:29 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Well, I for one don't think there were any off-key notes. I think there were a couple that were hit a bit shaky, but didn't necessarily require a do-over.

This is a great album in so many ways. But I love how the flower metal crowd only cares about having Geoff Tate vocals and riff-less wimp metal to tide themselves over until the next Journey album comes out. This band has more than just a killer vocalist, it has great riffs, arrangements, and drumming too. It's so much better than the flower metal junk it's not even in the same ballpark. I can see some people (especially non-Christians) thinking some of the lyrics might be cheesy but the music is really, really good .... especially compared to similar product in today's scene.

Sorry to say this, but I'd rather listen to the latest Journey album than this record.... lol!

With a better production this album could've been sooo much better. Right now it's really hard for me to listen to. I don't the lyrics are that cheesy, although Sinner's Prayer could've been left off. Nothing wrong with Christian lyrics imo, as long as they're not of the preaching type (that was always my biggest problem with bands like Stryper... I really like the music to songs like Soldiers Under Command and Makes Me Wanna Sing, but the lyrics... meh).
Back to top Go down
MetalFRO
Metal master
Metal master
MetalFRO

Number of posts : 551

PostSubject: Re: FAITH FACTOR - Against a Darkened Sky   FAITH FACTOR - Against a Darkened Sky - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 5:26 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I only heard a couple of notes that sounded shaky on the whole disc. I'd like to hear what Rex and Fro are talking about, give me some specifics.

Not owning the album it's a bit difficult to be that specific, but I recall listening to "Keep It True" and hearing a couple sour notes in there, as well as during "In God's Shadow" - I know there are some purposely dissonant harmonies in the latter, but there are points where Ski either over-reaches, or when he bends to a note he misses the mark.

I am not expecting any Geoff Tate clones in faith-based metal, but the overall weakness of Christian metal vocalists over the last 25 years has either been their power, their range, or their lack of control. There are exceptions (Ray Parra, Thomas Vikstrom, etc) but when you're talking about a small, niche scene like "Christian metal" compared to the hordes of regular metal, the vocalists who have less control, power, or range tend to stick out like a sore thumb even more. I'm not saying Ski's not a talented vocalist - certainly he is. I'm just saying as compared w/ guys who can sing more adeptly, he's not top-tier. I would say if he trained with someone & worked on control (landing on the notes more accurately), the next FF release could be a must-have. As it is, however, there are several other power metal releases of the last year that I happily spin frequently due to the quality of the music and the vocals.

I said the same thing about Theocracy's first album, which is why it took me until a month ago to finally acquire a copy. There are spots on the debut where Matt Smith isn't on-point, vocally. He sounds pretty great thoughout, but like I said, there are a couple trouble spots. "Mirror of Souls", on the other hand, is fantastic, and I don't think there's a sour note on the whole thing - I've listened to it probably a dozen times or so since I bought it (straight through), and have played over half the album on my radio show as well. Matt improved his vocal attack and he's being rewarded for it by everyone lauding the album so well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/metalfro
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: FAITH FACTOR - Against a Darkened Sky   FAITH FACTOR - Against a Darkened Sky - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 6:38 pm

Quote :
As it is, however, there are several other power metal releases of the last year that I happily spin frequently due to the quality of the music and the vocals.

"quality of the music" .... give me a break please.

There is very little quality of music in the fruity flower "metal" scene. That's the point. Very few great riffs. Very few great arrangements. Almost no intersting chord progressions. And certainly nothing that rocks to any considerable degree that makes them a genuine descendant of real metal bands like BLACK SABBATH.

You probably mean "slick production" or "wow that guitarist can sweep arpeggios fast!!!!1111" when you say "quality of music". You probably don't mean great rhythm guitar riffs that would make you headbang yourself into a neckbrace even if the song was just an instrumental.

But no one in that scene cares because all they know is they like the singer. To them that is all that matters and that is not very "metal" at all. Ozzy is no Pavarotti but BLACK SABBATH's music was important and good.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: those Euro-power bands and their clones are more akin to JOURNEY than BLACK SABBATH. Except that Journey were 100 times better at what they do (they actually wrote good songs).
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: FAITH FACTOR - Against a Darkened Sky   FAITH FACTOR - Against a Darkened Sky - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 6:42 pm

Quote :
Except that Journey were 100 times better at what they do (they actually wrote good songs).

And Neil Schon is a great guitarist.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAITH FACTOR - Against a Darkened Sky   FAITH FACTOR - Against a Darkened Sky - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

FAITH FACTOR - Against a Darkened Sky
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2