Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor?

Go down 
+8
Thrasher73
Leatherface
nevermore
MetallicSeminarian
Gilbert
Witchfinder
80s Metal Lady
12 posters

Human Factor
Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor? Vote_lcap13%Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor? Vote_rcap
 13% [ 2 ]
Date With Poverty
Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor? Vote_lcap31%Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor? Vote_rcap
 31% [ 5 ]
The Final Word
Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor? Vote_lcap19%Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor? Vote_rcap
 19% [ 3 ]
In Mourning
Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor? Vote_lcap19%Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor? Vote_rcap
 19% [ 3 ]
In Harm's Way
Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor? Vote_lcap13%Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor? Vote_rcap
 13% [ 2 ]
In Due Time
Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor? Vote_lcap0%Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Agent Green
Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor? Vote_lcap5%Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor? Vote_rcap
 5% [ 1 ]
Flee From Reality
Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor? Vote_lcap0%Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Betrayed
 0% [ 0 ]
The Fight Song
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 16

AuthorMessage
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor? Empty
PostSubject: Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor?   Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor? Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2016 1:54 pm

I'm going to move through these more well-known Metal Church albums quickly so I can get to some stuff I haven't heard before.

The Human Factor is Metal Church's fourth album and second to feature Mike Howe on vocals. It was released on March 26, 1991. I remember the video for "Date With Poverty" getting a lot of play on MTV's Headbanger's Ball. I bought the cassette at the mall and played the hell out of it.

There is nothing weak on this album and, lyrically, it is bursting with social and political messages. Now, it kind of comes off a little preachy to me; but, at the time, I immersed myself in the lyrics on this album.

"The Final Word" is an interesting track as it takes a different stance on protesting and flag burning than maybe one would expect on a metal album. It might be more of a country music stance. It basically says the USA is a pretty darn good country and people need to recognize the rights and benefits they enjoy before setting the flag ablaze. I guess that was a big issue at the time. I do remember flag burning being in the news a lot.

A couple of songs look at child abuse/neglect. "In Mourning" takes a blast at music being used as a scapegoat which was a big issue at the time with the PMRC: "A sticker on a record won't give your kids a home."

Though a lot of these songs cover issues that were in the news in the early 1990s, the lyrics to the title track are very apropos today:

I just need a sample 'cause no one says it's wrong
It's so easy to *rip off using someone else's songs
Everybody wants to be a star in modern days
But if I don't have talent then I'll just get by this way

*Actually, always thought he sang "evolve" here until I checked the lyrics booklet

I thought it would be difficult to choose one track because they are all equally good with nothing that particularly stands out, and then I remembered how much I love "Agent Green." Powerful track and great lyrics!

I'll change my name, a different look,
another page in my life's book
It makes no difference just who I am,
I'll take the money from Mother Russia or Uncle Sam

When this song pops up on my mp3 player shuffle, I often end up playing it several times in a row. Great song!
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7621

PostSubject: Re: Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor?   Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor? Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2016 2:15 pm

"Date With Poverty"
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39949

PostSubject: Re: Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor?   Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor? Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2016 2:49 pm

This is a fantastic album and my personal favorite from them. If I was hard pressed to choose a favorite on here, I guess I'd go with The Final Word.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9904

PostSubject: Re: Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor?   Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor? Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2016 3:45 pm

In mourning. But the entire album smokes.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor?   Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor? Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2016 9:36 pm

Date with Poverty just ahead of the title track.

Another fantastic album!
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26095

PostSubject: Re: Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor?   Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor? Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2016 10:10 pm

Date With Poverty headbanger
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19054

PostSubject: Re: Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor?   Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor? Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2016 1:14 am

In Harm's Way
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor?   Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor? Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2016 2:40 am

This is my favorite MC album. I wore the cassette out back in the day. Hard to pick a favorite, this whole album is awesome. For voting purposes I went with In Mourning.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor?   Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor? Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2016 10:46 am

"In Harm's Way" followed by "In Mourning".
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor?   Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor? Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2016 2:30 pm

Rocking album, I go with The Final Word.

It was almost a tie between The Final Word and Flee From Reality.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor?   Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor? Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2016 10:45 pm

In Mourning is my absolute favorite MC song of all time, even if it doesn't embrace the natural MC sound (not unlike a number of tunes on this album). The message still chokes me up a bit, and I've always been a "F*ck the PMRC" kind of lad anyhoo.

It is a rather preachy album. I'm actually not big on Date with Poverty. It's rather heavy-handed and Mike's little quips at the end are rather ridiculous ("I can't even afford to pay attention"? Really??). Poverty is a serious issue but this song doesn't really bring any sympathy out of me.

Agent Green has the next best message. It's metaphorically solid.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor?   Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor? Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2016 2:22 am

corplhicks wrote:
Poverty is a serious issue but this song doesn't really bring any sympathy out of me.

Yeah, I've always thought of the character in that song as a slacker.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37726

PostSubject: Re: Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor?   Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor? Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2016 7:39 am

Date With Poverty.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor?   Which Song Is The Biggest Factor On Metal Church's The Human Factor? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1