Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden

Go down 
+15
journeyman
Gilbert
metalinmyveins
Lari
Witchfinder
MoonChild
iamrockerfun
Fat Freddy
glassprison
thejokeriv
80s Metal Lady
DallasBlack
Wurthless
corplhicks
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Best Tune on "The X Factor
Sign of the Cross
Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap38%Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 38% [ 8 ]
Lord of the Flies
Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap10%Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 10% [ 2 ]
Man on the Edge
Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap29%Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 29% [ 6 ]
Fortunes of War
Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap0%Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Look for the Truth
Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap0%Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
The Aftermath
 0% [ 0 ]
Judgment of Heaven
Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap10%Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 10% [ 2 ]
Blood on the World's Hands
Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap5%Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 5% [ 1 ]
The Edge of Darkness
Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap5%Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 5% [ 1 ]
2 A.M.
 0% [ 0 ]
The Unbeliever
 5% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 21

AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden Empty
PostSubject: Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2016 9:52 pm

The X Factor

Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden 81iOv2uTITL._SL1300_

Recorded 1994 – August 1995 at Barnyard Studios in Essex, England
Released Oct 2 1995
Produced by Steve Harris and Nigel Green

My first listen of this album when it came out was three tracks before hiding it from the light of day. I thought it was absolutely horrible. Yes, mostly because of Blaze. After hearing Sign of the Cross on Rock in Rio recently, however, I realized that the songs may be stronger than I initially felt, marred by the horribly miscast frontman. So I've decided to take a second listen for this poll.

I've only made it halfway. This is still terrible.

Part of the problem is the mix. The band sounds plain tired and zapped of all energy. There's just no power coming from anyone. Perhaps that's why Sign of the Cross sounds so much better on Rock in Rio, with a refreshed band and a majestic vocalist. It's a much better delivery.

The other problem is Blaze, sure. But also I'm baffled by the songwriting. There's a lot of recycled riffs in here that hang and stretch FOREVER in the longer proggy songs. This is also where Maiden really started to show far too much dependency on a certain chord progression--something that I'll address in a future post--and it seems their creativity was close to null.

I'm going to finish the album off before making a decision. Perhaps Fortunes of War. But for now, I can't say I've changed my mind on this album. When I was 15 in 1995 this was the greatest disappointment I had faced in the world of music. Still feels that way.

Side note: anyone notice how many "________ of [the] ________" song titles there are in here?? The first four alone have this pattern!
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2016 10:39 pm

I actually really love this album. Maybe I'm just a fanboy, lol. It doesn't touch the classics, but in my eyes it's so much stronger than most give it credit for.

The Unbeliever is my favorite track here, followed by Sign of the Cross and Blood on the World's Hands.

And I think the album art kicks ass, too.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2016 11:16 pm

Judgement Of Heaven, one of my favorite Maiden songs!
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2016 11:17 pm

Wurthless wrote:
I actually really love this album. Maybe I'm just a fanboy, lol. It doesn't touch the classics, but in my eyes it's so much stronger than most give it credit for.

Mega ditto!

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2016 11:37 pm

Can't vote. I only heard this once and was so unimpressed I never gave it another chance. Very uninspired music I think.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2016 1:16 am

Voted for "Lord of the Flies." It's really upbeat and catchy. The only song off this album I'd considering adding to my collection. I like parts of "The Unbeliever," too. The rest was meh.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2016 9:00 am

Went with Sign of The Cross. I absolutely hated this album when it came out - I didn't give it another chance until I heard Bruce's version of Sign Of The Cross on Rock In Rio. That version of the song is awesome and really brings it too life. Adrian's Smith playing on the track beefs it up into a monster Maiden track.

Years later, I did give the album a chance - it's a decent album with some good songs. The production is terrible and hurts the album. Blaze, while a very nice guy, is just wrong for Maiden. I got to meet him after one of his shows a few years back - he spent time talking to all the fans, had a nice chat and a beer with him. His vocals were just wrong from Maiden.

Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2016 9:42 am

I voted Sign of the Cross as the best "song" on the album (i.e. not necessarily with Blaze singing). It sounded great in their set once Bruce came back.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2016 9:49 am

Falling dooooowwwwwn! Falling doooowwwwwwn! Falling doooooowwwww-ooooooowwwwwwn!

...never really cared for this album much, but "Man on the Edge" is a great track.

(Begin shameless plug)
I wrote a "Forgotten Hard Rock Albums" entry on my blog about X Factor a while back: http://hub.me/ageAJ
(end shameless plug)

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2016 10:40 am

man on the edge only
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2016 12:33 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Wurthless wrote:

Mega ditto!

Super Mega ditto!
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2016 12:37 pm

Judgment of Heaven
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2016 4:00 pm

I vote none. Terrible.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2016 4:35 pm

Terrific album.

The trilogy of Fortunes of War, Look for the Truth and the Aftermath is my personal favourite part of this album. Heavy, epic and dark. Afraid to Shoot Strangers from the previous album would fit in perfectly. Blaze is the right singer for these songs.

Basically the whole album is excellent. Lord of the Flies is a little dull and doesn't fit in. But the rest is great stuff.

I ended up voting for the Edge Of Darkness. That's among the absolute best Maiden tracks ever. An epic song about the movie Apocalypse Now (and it's about the movie, not the book, because it's clearly about Vietnam), great lyrics that tell the story, insane instrumental parts and it's just a perfect fit for this album.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2016 6:16 pm

Lari wrote:
Terrific album.

The trilogy of Fortunes of War, Look for the Truth and the Aftermath is my personal favourite part of this album. Heavy, epic and dark. Afraid to Shoot Strangers from the previous album would fit in perfectly. Blaze is the right singer for these songs.

Basically the whole album is excellent. Lord of the Flies is a little dull and doesn't fit in. But the rest is great stuff.

I ended up voting for the Edge Of Darkness. That's among the absolute best Maiden tracks ever. An epic song about the movie Apocalypse Now (and it's about the movie, not the book, because it's clearly about Vietnam), great lyrics that tell the story, insane instrumental parts and it's just a perfect fit for this album.

Love Edge Of Darkness! The lyrics are great and I love to sing along to it.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2016 7:57 pm

In my opinion, Blaze Bayley will go down as the worst replacement singer of all time from a big band. For myself, Blaze sounds like he fits something like that of The Dictators, but not Iron Maiden! The songs aren't terrible, but they are hampered by thin production and the atrocity already mentioned. The two songs I really like, minus Blaze, would be "Sign of the Cross" and "Aftermath". I just got done listening to "Sign of the Cross" and "Lord of the Flies" with Bruce and it's hard to state how much better they both are with him on vocals. It's cool that Bruce has never felt threatened by singing a song from the Blaze years. I wish Halford might have done this with something like "Cathedral Spires" off of "Jugulator".
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2016 4:42 pm

Man on the edge.
Bruce is the voice of maiden but blaze is still an awesome vocalist. I love his solo material.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2016 12:16 am

Lord of the flies and Blood on the world's hands.

A dark album. Blaze has a melancholy voice, which only adds to darkness. Some good riff's and solos.
Back to top Go down
Grimmo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Grimmo

Number of posts : 413

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2016 12:15 am

Sign of the Cross for me.
Back to top Go down
http://waynegrimsey.blogspot.com/
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2016 2:07 pm

Man On The Edge but I almost went with Sign Of The Cross.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2016 3:13 pm

I've never heard this album, only a song or 2 that appeared on a hits comp I own. That being said, 'Man on the Edge' gets my vote moreso because I liked the movie it was based on.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2016 3:42 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I've never heard this album, only a song or 2 that appeared on a hits comp I own. That being said, 'Man on the Edge' gets my vote moreso because I liked the movie it was based on.

Wow, I had forgotten that little tidbit.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2016 3:48 pm

007 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Wow, I had forgotten that little tidbit.

I recall listening to that song in the pre-internet days and thinking, "Man, this song sounds just like that movie 'Falling Down'. I wonder if they wrote it about that movie?"

Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSat Oct 14, 2017 2:50 pm

Just recently got the 2-Disc Japanese version with "Justice Of The Peace", "I Live My Way" & "Judgment Day". I have always loved this album and the inclusion of the three aforementioned tracks makes me like it more.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSun Oct 15, 2017 4:33 am

akeldama wrote:
Just recently got the 2-Disc Japanese version with "Justice Of The Peace", "I Live My Way" & "Judgment Day". I have always loved this album and the inclusion of the three aforementioned tracks makes me like it more.

Interesting. Will check this version out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best Tune on "The X Factor" by Iron Maiden
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next