Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Covers that are better than the originals?

Go down 
+24
Neuropete
DeathCult
MetalFRO
DallasBlack
stepcousin
James B.
ultmetal
rattpoison
TrogDawn
manny
Addy
Getizzyback
Chairman_Smith
Lari
Schbopo
powermacho
GrandNational
XYZ
Necrosultan
MetalGuy71
tohostudios
Fat Freddy
Troublezone
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 10:17 am

Speaking of Aerosmith, I enjoy their take on Train Kept A Rollin' over The Yardbirds, although I'm not sure that they wrote it either.

EDIT:"Train Kept A-Rollin" is a song written by Tiny Bradshaw, Howard Kay, and Lois Mann. Bradshaw first recorded the song in 1951- his best known recording. After a rock and roll version of the song was recorded and released by Johnny Burnette and the Rock and Roll Trio in 1956, numerous other such versions have been recorded since.

Never heard these versions.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 10:20 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Speaking of Aerosmith, I enjoy their take on Train Kept A Rollin' over The Yardbirds, although I'm not sure that they wrote it either.

100% agree, great version by Aerosmith, and I know that Yardbirds did not write it and for the life of me I can't remember who did.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 10:22 am

Yea, I've seen Aerosmith do "Train Kept A-Rollin'" live a couple of times and it always brings the house down...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 8:46 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

EDIT:"Train Kept A-Rollin" is a song written by Tiny Bradshaw, Howard Kay, and Lois Mann. Bradshaw first recorded the song in 1951- his best known recording. After a rock and roll version of the song was recorded and released by Johnny Burnette and the Rock and Roll Trio in 1956, numerous other such versions have been recorded since.

Never heard of either myself, but either way Motorhead did the best version of it Very Happy

And no one else is familiar with that Samhain cover eh?
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 9:30 pm

Quote :

Never heard Samhain's. Is it much different than the Danzig (band) version that was on Thrall Demonsweatlive?

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 9:49 pm

DeathCult wrote:

Tiny Bradshaw was a touring jazz/R&B artist, similar in style to Louis Jordan (they were both influences on Chuck Berry). Another Bradshaw tune that has been recorded numerous times is "Well, Oh Well" (aka Oh Well) which was recorded by the Peter Green era of Fleetwood Mac and remained in their live setlist throughout the 70's (as a feature for Lindsay Buckingham).

Aerosmith's version is basically an almost note for note remake of the Yardbirds version (who performed the song with both Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck)
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 10:09 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :

Never heard Samhain's. Is it much different than the Danzig (band) version that was on Thrall Demonsweatlive?

Sounds like they had more fun doing it, and its got some keys in it, but other than that not too much different.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 10:27 pm

detuned wrote:
DeathCult wrote:

Tiny Bradshaw was a touring jazz/R&B artist, similar in style to Louis Jordan (they were both influences on Chuck Berry). Another Bradshaw tune that has been recorded numerous times is "Well, Oh Well" (aka Oh Well) which was recorded by the Peter Green era of Fleetwood Mac and remained in their live setlist throughout the 70's (as a feature for Lindsay Buckingham).

Aerosmith's version is basically an almost note for note remake of the Yardbirds version (who performed the song with both Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck)

Neat, thanks for posting those, I enjoyed both. Still think Motorheads is the best though Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 3:19 pm

MetalFRO wrote:

James B. wrote:
Walkin' The Dog-RATT
NO!

If it's not as good as the original, than the original must really
kick some serious a$$. (I've not heard it)
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 7:04 pm

Although I wouldn't say it's better, Megadeth's cover of "Anarchy in the UK" is pretty good.
Back to top Go down
Neuropete
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

Number of posts : 306

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 2:12 pm

Being a huge Beatles fanatic, it would be hard for me to admit that anyone has covered a Lennon/McCartney song better than the fab four...but, I must say that Joe Cocker totally owns "With a Little Help from My Friends". Sorry Ringo.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 2:53 pm

Neuropete wrote:
Being a huge Beatles fanatic, it would be hard for me to admit that anyone has covered a Lennon/McCartney song better than the fab four...but, I must say that Joe Cocker totally owns "With a Little Help from My Friends". Sorry Ringo.

This also kills me to admit this but I have to agree with Neuro, and Jimmy Page's playing on the Cocker version is flawless.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 3:04 pm

manny wrote:
Neuropete wrote:

This also kills me to admit this but I have to agree with Neuro, and Jimmy Page's playing on the Cocker version is flawless.

Whoa, whoa, whoa!! Waitaminute. Are you saying that Jimmy Page is the guitarist on Joe Cocker's version of the Beatles classic "With a Little Help..."?

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 3:06 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
manny wrote:
Neuropete wrote:

Whoa, whoa, whoa!! Waitaminute. Are you saying that Jimmy Page is the guitarist on Joe Cocker's version of the Beatles classic "With a Little Help..."?

Yep that is him, and he is even credited.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 3:21 pm

manny wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
manny wrote:
Neuropete wrote:

Yep that is him, and he is even credited.

That's amazing!! I've never, ever heard that before in my life. I knew Page did tons of session work but I didn't know about that one. You'd think that over the years I would have read that somewhere or even by accident, at some point a radio dj would mention it during the talk up to the song. But nothing. And it's not like it's an obscure tune or anything. That just blows me away. fainting

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 5:48 pm

Don't feel bad MG, I never knew that either...

That is a fantastic version of that tune, Joe Cocker's voice is a force of nature.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 5:49 pm

I'm feeling too lazy to go back through all the pages, but one of my favorite cover tunes is:

Fear Factory - Cars (the Gary Numan tune)
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 5:58 pm

Grand Funk Railroad-Some Kind of Wonderful
Back to top Go down
Necrosultan
Metal novice
Metal novice
Necrosultan

Number of posts : 62

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 5:18 pm

Another one I stumbled unto today:

The Accused - Devil Woman.

Done with a lot more zing than the original.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 10:44 am

KISS - 2000 Man

Blows away the Stones version
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 9:12 pm

007 wrote:
KISS - 2000 Man

Blows away the Stones version

Not on my watch Cool!

This is a cool cover from one of my fave bands, not saying it's better but maybe equal.........

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 10:13 am

Over the weekend I was crankin' some Rob Zombie. His version of KC & The Sunshine Band's "Boogie Man" whomps the original. Rob took a happy disco song and made it creepy, yet retained the infectious stripper-worthy dance beat. Kudos to you, Mr. Zombie.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 2:24 pm

One I just listened to a few nights ago:

Life Of Agony-Don't You (Forget About Me)
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 11:46 pm

Necrosultan wrote:
Sodom - Surfin' Bird

How about The Cramps version of Surfin' Bird?