Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Covers that are better than the originals?

Go down 
+24
Neuropete
DeathCult
MetalFRO
DallasBlack
stepcousin
James B.
ultmetal
rattpoison
TrogDawn
manny
Addy
Getizzyback
Chairman_Smith
Lari
Schbopo
powermacho
GrandNational
XYZ
Necrosultan
MetalGuy71
tohostudios
Fat Freddy
Troublezone
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 1:38 am

Neuropete wrote:
Being a huge Beatles fanatic, it would be hard for me to admit that anyone has covered a Lennon/McCartney song better than the fab four...but, I must say that Joe Cocker totally owns "With a Little Help from My Friends". Sorry Ringo.

I Want You (She's So Heavy) by Coroner is my favorite Beatles cover, I like it better than the original.

I always thought Deep Purple's cover of Help was neat too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 8:39 am

DallasBlack wrote:
One I just listened to a few nights ago:

Life Of Agony-Don't You (Forget About Me)

Atrocity also covered this song on their "Werk 80 II" album. It's freakin brilliant.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 8:49 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

Atrocity also covered this song on their "Werk 80 II" album. It's freakin brilliant.

I'll try to locate and hear that one, though I've never heard any Atrocity. What genre do they fit into?
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Grimmo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Grimmo

Number of posts : 413

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2009 11:57 pm

Mortification Black Snake

Last edited by Grimmo on Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling error in band name)
Back to top Go down
http://waynegrimsey.blogspot.com/
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 5:50 am

Sepultura did an excellent cover of U2's Bullet the blue sky. The vocals of Derrick Greene are so much stonger than Bonos.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 5:25 pm

Now that I've heard the origional I believe I'll say Saxon-Ride Like The Wind. The origional isn't bad at all but I like the Saxon version better.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 5:30 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

I'll try to locate and hear that one, though I've never heard any Atrocity. What genre do they fit into?

Atrocity are kinda hard to pin down. They started out as a death metal band with artsy-fartsy leanings, then over the years they got more artsy and even more fartsy. I dunno what the heck you'd call'em now. "Gothic sorta-death" perhaps? I'm not even particularly a fan of the band but I had to review that WERK 80 II disc for Detritus 'zine awhile back (it was a collection of '80s pop songs covered in their own unique, weird style) and I had to admit it was a pretty fun listen.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 5:31 pm

Oh, and by the way I just listened to Overkill's FEEL THE FIRE a little while ago and their cover of the Dead Boys' "Sonic Reducer" smokes the original. 🤘

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 5:40 pm

Quote :
I Want You (She's So Heavy) by Coroner is my favorite Beatles cover, I like it better than the original

Good choice.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 1:57 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Oh, and by the way I just listened to Overkill's FEEL THE FIRE a little while ago and their cover of the Dead Boys' "Sonic Reducer" smokes the original. 🤘

Your just a big Overkill fan boy Freddy, for a speed metal band i reckon they hold back on it even Pearl Jam's cover sounds better. But nothing compares to the Rocket From The Tombs original or the Dead Boys cover...........

Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 2:46 am

Here's one for you RP. The Unband's punk cover of Billy Squire's "Everybody Want's You". Maybe not better than the original, but pretty damn killer.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 8:41 am

Grimmo wrote:
Mortification Black Snake

This one is so NOT better than the original. I love Mortification and list them as one of my all time favorite bands. They were a big influence on me personally. However, this cover was so butchered and not in a good way.

Fat Freddy wrote:
Oh, and by the way I just listened to Overkill's
FEEL THE FIRE a little while ago and their cover of the Dead Boys'
"Sonic Reducer" smokes the original. 🤘

Now this one I agree with. I like Overkill's version better too. The Dead Boys version is great, but Overkill gave it a metallic shine!

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

Number of posts : 306

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 11:47 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Gamma Ray's "It's A Sin" (Pet Shop Boys)

Warrior Soul "Interzone" (Joy Division)

Sorry... I disagree with both of these.
Back to top Go down
Neuropete
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

Number of posts : 306

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 11:49 am

tohostudios wrote:
Marilyn Manson - Personal Jesus (Depeche Mode)
Judas Priest - Diamonds And Rust (Joan Baez)
Manfred Mann - Blinded By The Light (Bruce Springsteen)

...and anything by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes.

Your second choice, definitely, your third choice, maybe... but Marilyn Manson's version better than the original? The only thing Marilyn Manson is good at covering is his lack of talent, judging by the fans that still listen to him.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 11:51 am

Damn, I'm gettin' beat up bad in here all of a sudden!

Neuropete wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Gamma Ray's "It's A Sin" (Pet Shop Boys)

Warrior Soul "Interzone" (Joy Division)

Sorry... I disagree with both of these.

I got nuthin' against the originals of either of those songs, but I'd rather listen to the covers. Of course, the fact that I'm a massive Warrior Soul fanboy probably has a lot to do with why I like their rendition of "Interzone" so much. Laughing

rattpoison wrote:
Your just a big Overkill fan boy Freddy, for a speed metal band i reckon they hold back on it even Pearl Jam's cover sounds better.

Guilty as charged on the Overkill fanboyism as well... but with all due respect, I can't give Squirrel Ham credit for being "better" at anything (HATE... Eddie Vedder... SO....MUCH!) ...

ultmetal wrote:
Now this one I agree with. I like Overkill's version better too. The Dead Boys version is great, but Overkill gave it a metallic shine!

Well, at least someone is agreein' with me today. Thanx Ult. Laughing

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 11:57 am

Neuropete wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Marilyn Manson - Personal Jesus (Depeche Mode)

Marilyn Manson's version better than the original? The only thing Marilyn Manson is good at covering is his lack of talent, judging by the fans that still listen to him.

You wanna hear a wacky ass cover of a Depeche Mode song? Check out the speed metal version of "Enjoy The Silence" on Squealer's THE PROPHECY album.

Lacuna Coil did a decent job on "E.T.S." on their KARMACODE album too.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 12:10 pm

Quote :
You wanna hear a wacky ass cover of a Depeche Mode song?

No. Never-never-ever.

Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 5 Donotwantgorilla

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 12:16 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
You wanna hear a wacky ass cover of a Depeche Mode song?

No. Never-never-ever.

Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 5 Donotwantgorilla

Laughing very hard MG's mad Google Image Search skillz are in full effect today, yo.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 12:31 pm

I'm just killing time in the office till it's time to go. Early dismissal for the holiday weekend and the boss is out. I don't know why I even bothered wearing pants today.

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Covers that are better than the originals?
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5