Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Covers that are better than the originals?

Go down 
+24
Neuropete
DeathCult
MetalFRO
DallasBlack
stepcousin
James B.
ultmetal
rattpoison
TrogDawn
manny
Addy
Getizzyback
Chairman_Smith
Lari
Schbopo
powermacho
GrandNational
XYZ
Necrosultan
MetalGuy71
tohostudios
Fat Freddy
Troublezone
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 8:22 pm

I guess I will give Guns N' Roses their due with

Live and Let Die

and

Knockin' On Heaven's Door

Most of the reasons I like updated covers to originals is because
of the better technology that was had. I realize the oldtimers didn't
have the quality of sound that the bands doing the covers had.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 10:42 pm

Face the Day-Great White
Walkin' The Dog-RATT
You Really Got Me- Van Halen
Then She Kissed Me-KISS
ALL the covers that Joe Cocker did !!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 10:48 am

The entire album "Tribute To The Past" by Treasure Seeker.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 10:51 am

James B. wrote:
Face the Day-Great White

Who did the original version?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 10:54 am

detuned wrote:
James B. wrote:
Face the Day-Great White

The Angels, (or as they were know in the States Angel City) I personally prefer the original
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 10:59 am

Learn something new everyday...I always thought that song was too good to be a Great White tune.

lol!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 6:26 pm

manny wrote:
detuned wrote:
James B. wrote:
Face the Day-Great White

The Angels, (or as they were know in the States Angel City) I personally prefer the original

I didn't know that either, good song.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 6:38 pm

manny wrote:

detuned wrote:

James B. wrote:
Face the Day-Great White

The Angel City original is very good.... I had to learn the song for an audition with them after Gary Holland was let go. That is why Great White's version has the advantage over the original. The way it was recorded on "Shot In The Dark" has a different vibe than what we jammed on during the audition process. To this day, I think that if Great White would of stayed in the vein of "Street Killer" or "Stick It"... I may have gotten the gig, perhaps ? Being that I have more of a "metal" style than Audie Desbrow. As we all know, Great White went with a more bluesy sound.

Another Great White cover I like is "substitute" and not to mention the Great Zeppelin live cd is really, really good.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 6:46 pm

How about Keel's version of "Because The Night" ?

I think it is better than Bruce's original
Then that reminds me of another cover of a Springsteen tune that is way better than the original, "Blinded By The Light" done by Manfred Mann.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 7:19 pm

Back to "Day After Day"...I had the Badfinger version on 45 as a kid (I'm assuming my Mother bought it, I just found it in a pile of stuff at my Grandmother's house). I played that thing TO DEATH. Never could listen to the Savatage version, the original had too many memories tied with it.

I almost never like cover versions better than the originals...in fact I usually don't even like covers unless the band really does something new with it and makes it their own.
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 7:40 pm

James B. wrote:
How about Keel's version of "Because The Night" ?

I think it is better than Bruce's original
The Patti Smith Group version, to me, is the definitive one.

James B. wrote:
Then that reminds me of another cover of a Springsteen tune that is way better than the original, "Blinded By The Light" done by Manfred Mann.
Yeah, they really made that song their own. They tried the same formula with "Spirits in the Night" also by Springsteen, but I don't think they outdid the original with that one.
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 8:51 pm

I love the original version of 'Because the Night' by the Patti Smith Group, IMO an almost perfect rendition of this classic, I felt Keel's version was too watered down and recorded in order to get a crossover hit.

James B, BTW it is very cool that you got to audition with Great White, sounds like a very cool experience.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 10:33 pm

manny wrote:
I love the original version of 'Because the Night' by the Patti Smith Group, IMO an almost perfect rendition of this classic, I felt Keel's version was too watered down and recorded in order to get a crossover hit.

James B, BTW it is very cool that you got to audition with Great White, sounds like a very cool experience.

I auditioned for alot of bands. Timing and image was more integral than talent I suppose. Still got to play and still do.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 11:00 pm

I donot think their version is better but it is different and they made it their own, Megadeth's version of the Sex Pistols 'Problems'
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 11:25 am

manny wrote:
detuned wrote:
James B. wrote:
Face the Day-Great White

I didn't know that was a cover for the longest time. I really like Great White's version as that's the one I'm more familiar with, but when I heard the Angel's original version, I thought it was very good as well.

I've always thought Great White chose great songs to cover and did a good job making them their own too. Much like Anthrax and their choice of covers.

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 12:19 pm

Yeah, the only Great White album I ever listened to with any frequency was that covers EP they released in the 80's (can't remember the title). It was pretty killer though.
Back to top Go down
Necrosultan
Metal novice
Metal novice
Necrosultan

Number of posts : 62

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 12:56 pm

Cerebral Fix - Livin' After Midnight (Judas Priest Cover)

Far more upbeat with an extra heavy punch.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 3:02 pm

[quote="MetalGuy71"]I thought this topic smelled familiar...

https://heartofmetal.niceboard.com/rip-f4/cover-songs-that-you-prefer-over-the-original-t3499.htm?highlight=cover+songs[/quote]

Yeah, I was the one who delt it Very Happy . I much prefer Angel Dust's cover of Rainbow's Temple Of The King. Others:

Deliverance-After Forever
Type O Negative-Summer Breeze
Firewind-Maniac
Therion-Summernight City
Axel Rudi Pell-Still I'm Sad
Nevermore-Love Bites

Ones that I like equally to the origionals:

Sonata Arctica-Fade To Black
Therion-Fight Fire With Fire
Crematory-One
Thunderstone-Sanitarium (Welcome Home)
Blind Guardian-Don't Talk To Strangers
Axel Rudi Pell-In The Air Tonight
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 3:16 pm

I rarely like cover tunes better than the original recordings but I do like when a band covers a tune and makes it own, The Cure did a good and interesting version of Jimi Hendrix's Purple Haze, IMO certainly not better than the original but a very good cover done in their own unique style.

Someone mentioned Megadeth's cover of the Sex Pistols 'Anarchy in the UK' I prefer the Sex Pistols original, (despite the fact that Megadeth are better musicians) but what I like about Megadeth's version is that Megadeth did not try to sound like a punk band but arranged the song fit their style.
Back to top Go down
MetalFRO
Metal master
Metal master
MetalFRO

Number of posts : 551

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 3:55 pm

James B. wrote:
Face the Day-Great White
YES!

James B. wrote:
Walkin' The Dog-RATT
NO!

James B. wrote:
You Really Got Me - Van Halen
YES

James B. wrote:
Then She Kissed Me-KISS

YES

I'll say I think both Dinosaur Jr. and The Melvins did slamming versions of KISS' "Goin' Blind". The Anthrax version of "She" on the "Kiss My A$$" tribute is also killer, as is the "super-group" cover of "Dr. Love".
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/metalfro
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 5:12 am

MetalFRO wrote:
James B. wrote:
Face the Day-Great White
YES!

James B. wrote:
Walkin' The Dog-RATT
NO!

James B. wrote:
YES

James B. wrote:
Then She Kissed Me-KISS

YES

I'll say I think both Dinosaur Jr. and The Melvins did slamming versions of KISS' "Goin' Blind". The Anthrax version of "She" on the "Kiss My A$$" tribute is also killer, as is the "super-group" cover of "Dr. Love".

I am refering to the version (walkin the dog) done by The Yardbirds not Aerosmith. It was actually an old blues standard done by alot of artist on The Chitlin Circuit. Don't really know who done it first.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 8:14 am

I always liked Trouble by Samhain alot better than the original Elvis version. Plus, that was when Danzig still relatively seemed to be having fun with his music, and it shows.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 9:59 am

James B. wrote:
MetalFRO wrote:
James B. wrote:
Face the Day-Great White
YES!

James B. wrote:
Walkin' The Dog-RATT
NO!

James B. wrote:
YES

James B. wrote:
Then She Kissed Me-KISS

YES

I am refering to the version (walkin the dog) done by The Yardbirds not Aerosmith. It was actually an old blues standard done by alot of artist on The Chitlin Circuit. Don't really know who done it first.

The original was recorded by Rufus Thomas back in 1963
Back to top Go down
MetalFRO
Metal master
Metal master
MetalFRO

Number of posts : 551

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 10:11 am

James B. wrote:

That may be the case, but Ratt's version is an obvious homage to Aerosmith's version. As much as I like Ratt's take on Aerosmith's take, I like Aerosmith's take on the song best.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/metalfro
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 10:13 am

MetalFRO wrote:
James B. wrote:

That may be the case, but Ratt's version is an obvious homage to Aerosmith's version. As much as I like Ratt's take on Aerosmith's take, I like Aerosmith's take on the song best.

It is funny because I felt Aerosmith's version was a homage to the Rolling Stones's version that appears on their 1964 debut 'England's Newest Hitmakers'
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Covers that are better than the originals?   Covers that are better than the originals? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Covers that are better than the originals?
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next