Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread

Go down 
+11
krokus
SAHB Healer
Schbopo
Svengo
MetalRob331
manny
Fat Freddy
EvyMetal
Troublezone
Zdan
Stender
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 10:54 pm

7thSecond wrote:
80's hardcore is my favorite genre. I like way to many bands to even start to list them all though. Most of you probably wouldn't know a lot of them anyway as I've seen only the more well known bands talked about here so far.

No one said mums the word....DO TELL!!! I love learning about new underground hardcore and thrash!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 11:11 pm

detuned wrote:
7thSecond wrote:
80's hardcore is my favorite genre. I like way to many bands to even start to list them all though. Most of you probably wouldn't know a lot of them anyway as I've seen only the more well known bands talked about here so far.

We might surprise you, spit 'em out! Very Happy

I am with you, 7th. But I would be interested to see if we come from the same school. I grew up in the Twin Cities, so Husker, the Replacements, Soul Asylum/Loud Fast Rules [all obviously before they matured their sounds], the Urban Guerilla's, Final Conflict, Otto's Chemical Lounge, Skull F*ck, early 'Burbs, Iron Fist, Suicide Commandos, Impaler [yes, I would call them hardcore before I would call them anything else], etc., from my local scene. And from behind the Cheddar Curtain - Descendents, Tar Babies, Die Kreuzen, Killdozer [ok, hardcore? Hell if I know what else to label those guys as!] And more West coast, than East or South, was to my liking. Angry Samoans, anything with Metal Mike and/or Jeff Dahl, Social D, Poison Idea [underrated legends!], TSOL, The Accused, Circle Jerks, JFA [JFFC], DOA, SNFU [I think they were from Vancouver. Maybe not. Still a GREAT band!!], early Mentors [no longer though.], and, of course, The FARTZ!!

That is not to say I did not like any NYHC or THC. I mean, the Cro-Mags and Ag Front were staples of my daily diet [Murphy's Law even made us toast one Sunday morning for a 10 a.m. all age show in the Entry. That was kinda weird. Not the toast, as that was their mantra of sorts - but a hardcore show at 10 am on a Sunday? Definately created a unique "vibe"!!]. Along with D.R.I., Big Boys, Verbal Abuse, and later Dead Horse.

I also had a serious connection with D.C. for some reason. I guess, maybe, it was because that is where Henry grew up. So we listened to alot of SOA, Minor Threat, Bad Brains [especially Bad Brains], Redd Kross, and basically every 7 incher that came out on Dischord. The guy at Northern Lights [a record store right on 7th and Hennepin - a block from 8 different clubs] would always tell us what Dischord was going to release the following week and we made sure to have $3.98 a piece to get whatever it happened to be the next week. Man, I wonder if the girls in our crowd ever knew just how many punk lps/ep/singles they actually bought us! haha.

The 2 bands that had a huge impact on me were Raw Power from Italy and the Dayglo Abortions from Vancouver. Still 2 of my favorite bands to this day and they are both still recording and touring! 50-something year old punks. Ya gotta love it.

The UK thing always seemed a little hokey to me. We would make fun of most of the crap that came from over there. Although, notable exceptions being GBH, The Exploited, the UK Subs [although we did poke fun at them too], a lesser bands like Chelsea or the Vibrators. Most everything else was just there to make fun of.

Most of these bands are fairly well known. But my brain is more than lacking in the memory dept. I would give anything to have all those 7"ers, crappy dubbed tapes, and especially all the cool flyers from those shows. I used to have a box of flyers dating back to '83. Where does all that stuff go?

Last edited by SAXON1500 on Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 11:16 pm

Sax,

Is there any SOA stuff on CD? I have never heard any of it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 1:06 am

Yeah - Find Dischord 1981. It is a collection of every single put out in their first year. All the SOA stuff is on there. Or I can just burn it for ya. I don't know how easy it is to find. Absolutely killer though!
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 1:17 am

SAXON1500 wrote:
......Jeff Dahl......

Jeff Dahl is way cool.....his various bands, record labels, comps, fanzines etc are brilliant. A true rock n' roll hero. God bless his socks!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 1:34 am

detuned wrote:
Marc Mason wrote:

What's great about Voivod is that the amalgam of dispararte musical ideas which they melded together truly seems to have no precedence anywhere to be found.

King Crimson. Piggy was heavily influenced by Robert Fripp, you can hear it in both his solos and his choice of chords. That was really the thing that set Voivod apart, the chordal vocabulary was much broader than you usually find in standard thrash. They did a cover of 21st Century Schizoid Man on Phobos. They definitely had their own sound, but you can hear the influences loud and clear.

Yes, I was going to mention this. You can hear it. But, Pig extracted so many things from different genres, creating a sonic brew which doesn't have an easily discernable lineage, like say a Metallica or a Nirvana does. And, the band was real bold to go their intended route in the super 'conformist' 1980's. Musta been hard for them to find bands to tour with. You know of any favourites of there's? Touring partners, that is.
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 12:04 pm

SAXON1500 wrote:
detuned wrote:
7thSecond wrote:

I am with you, 7th. But I would be interested to see if we come from the same school.
O.K. I guess the easiest way to do this would just be to list all of the 80's punk and hardcore bands in my collection. A lot of these of course will be the same bands already discussed here, but there will be some additions as well. I really hope some of you all do know and like some of the more obscure bands on my list. I don't really fit in anywhere I've found musically when it comes to hardcore as most people just have a blank stare when a lot of these bands are mentioned. It's really cool to see some others that appreciate this stuff as I've loved it since my youth and you might introduce me to some cool bands that I missed all these years. I have many more hardcore bands in my collection that sound 80's but are actually 90's or 00's bands. In fact one or two might have slipped in here but I tried not to list them. Of course I also might have also missed an 80's band or three that I do have stuff by.

The 4-Skins
7 Seconds (where my username came from)
The Accused
Adolescents
Adrenalin O.D.
Agent Orange
Agnostic Front
Agression
Angry Somoans
Anti-Heros
Antischism
Antiseen
Articles Of Faith
Bad Brains
Bad Religion
Better Than A Thousand
Black Flag
Bold
Both Worlds
Broken Bones
Chain Of Strength
Chaos UK
Christ On Parade
Circle Jerks
Corrossion Of Conformity
Cro-Mags
Crumbsuckers
Cryptic Slaughter
Dag Nasty
Dayglo Abortions
Dead Kennedys
The Dead Milkmen
D.I.
Die Kreuzen
Discharge
D.O.A.
Dr. Know
D.R.I.
D.Y.S.
English Dogs
Embrace
The Exploited
The Faith
Fear
Final Conflict
Gang Green
G.B.H
Germs
Gorilla Biscuits
Government Issue
Heresy
Husker Du
Ill Repute
JFA
Judge
The Lead
Lust Control
Madball
MDC
Minor Threat
Minutemen
Misfits
Murphys Law
Nausea
Negative Approach
Pennywise
Poison Idea
Project X
Ramones
Raw Power
Reagan Youth
RKL
Scream
Sex Pistols
Sick of It All
Side By Side
Slapshot
SNFU
S.O.A.
Social Distortion
SSD Control
Subhumans (U.K.)
Suicidal Tendencies
Teen Idles
Token Entry
T.S.O.L.
Uniform Choice
Unit Pride
Unity
Up Front
The Vandals
Verbal Abuse
Verbal Assault
Void
Youth Brigade
Youth Of Today
Warzone
Wide Awake
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 1:58 pm

detuned wrote:
The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 3 200px-Dbcells
Wow! I used to have that one way back in the day. Heck I had forgotten all about that album. I don't even remember if I had it on LP or cassette now. I do remember that I bought it simply because of the cover and band name though. I hadn't heard them before I bought it. I might try and track that one down again. Is it even available on CD?
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 2:28 pm

7thSecond wrote:
detuned wrote:
The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 3 200px-Dbcells
Wow! I used to have that one way back in the day. Heck I had forgotten all about that album. I don't even remember if I had it on LP or cassette now. I do remember that I bought it simply because of the cover and band name though. I hadn't heard them before I bought it. I might try and track that one down again. Is it even available on CD?

I LOVEZ THE DBC!!!
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 2:56 pm

I wear my 80's hardcore pride on my car as well...
The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 3 MyStickers-1
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 9:19 pm

Oh, dude. You are hardcore. You're not hardcore, unless ya live hardcore. And, the legend of the rent was way hardcore.

http://www.metalmartyr.com/youre-not-hardcore-unless-you-live-hardcore-overuse-of-the-core-term/
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 9:32 pm

7thSecond wrote:
SAXON1500 wrote:
detuned wrote:
7thSecond wrote:

I am with you, 7th. But I would be interested to see if we come from the same school.
O.K. I guess the easiest way to do this would just be to list all of the 80's punk and hardcore bands in my collection. A lot of these of course will be the same bands already discussed here, but there will be some additions as well. I really hope some of you all do know and like some of the more obscure bands on my list. I don't really fit in anywhere I've found musically when it comes to hardcore as most people just have a blank stare when a lot of these bands are mentioned. It's really cool to see some others that appreciate this stuff as I've loved it since my youth and you might introduce me to some cool bands that I missed all these years. I have many more hardcore bands in my collection that sound 80's but are actually 90's or 00's bands. In fact one or two might have slipped in here but I tried not to list them. Of course I also might have also missed an 80's band or three that I do have stuff by.

The 4-Skins
7 Seconds (where my username came from)
The Accused
Adolescents
Adrenalin O.D.
Agent Orange
Agnostic Front
Agression
Angry Somoans
Anti-Heros
Antischism
Antiseen
Articles Of Faith
Bad Brains
Bad Religion
Better Than A Thousand
Black Flag
Bold
Both Worlds
Broken Bones
Chain Of Strength
Chaos UK
Christ On Parade
Circle Jerks
Corrossion Of Conformity
Cro-Mags
Crumbsuckers
Cryptic Slaughter
Dag Nasty
Dayglo Abortions
Dead Kennedys
The Dead Milkmen
D.I.
Die Kreuzen
Discharge
D.O.A.
Dr. Know
D.R.I.
D.Y.S.
English Dogs
Embrace
The Exploited
The Faith
Fear
Final Conflict
Gang Green
G.B.H
Germs
Gorilla Biscuits
Government Issue
Heresy
Husker Du
Ill Repute
JFA
Judge
The Lead
Lust Control
Madball
MDC
Minor Threat
Minutemen
Misfits
Murphys Law
Nausea
Negative Approach
Pennywise
Poison Idea
Project X
Ramones
Raw Power
Reagan Youth
RKL
Scream
Sex Pistols
Sick of It All
Side By Side
Slapshot
SNFU
S.O.A.
Social Distortion
SSD Control
Subhumans (U.K.)
Suicidal Tendencies
Teen Idles
Token Entry
T.S.O.L.
Uniform Choice
Unit Pride
Unity
Up Front
The Vandals
Verbal Abuse
Verbal Assault
Void
Youth Brigade
Youth Of Today
Warzone
Wide Awake

Agent orange is awesome, lots of cool surf influence.

You can get the debut DBC album on the 2 on 1 CD version of DBC's Universe album. Some of the Universe CD's were pressed without the dead brain cells demo though so make sure your getting the right one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 8:01 pm

I'm jamming to Cro-Mags' Best Wishes right about now. Have no idea what kinda music this har title might be quantified as. Sho', it got some sure-fire identifiable Hardcore underpinnings, but it also got some mainstream Kokk Rokk sound to it. It's like Kokk Rokk meets Hardcore. Kokkkore.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 8:04 pm

Marc Mason wrote:
I'm jamming to Cro-Mags' Best Wishes right about now. Have no idea what kinda music this har title might be quantified as. Sho', it got some sure-fire identifiable Hardcore underpinnings, but it also got some mainstream Kokk Rokk sound to it. It's like Kokk Rokk meets Hardcore. Kokkkore.

That reminds me of the MDC song...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 2:26 am

They have a song named KOKKKORE, with three K's?
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 2:32 am

Marc Mason wrote:
They have a song named KOKKKORE, with three K's?

no, "cok rocker".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 7:20 pm

Why do you keep on bringing up kok?
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2009 9:04 pm

Adrenicide

this is a recent brit crossover band I discovered just as of late..really cool, really snotty, check em out, been around since the early 2000's

www.myspace.com/adrenicide1
Back to top Go down
Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 7:56 pm

I see Murphy's Law, and Agnostic Front in that long list, reminds me of my childhood friend Adam, who was the bass player for both of those groups in their early days.I think Murphy's Law he went by Adam Instagate or something like
that, and Agnostic Front he went by I think something like Adam moochie or something like that. He also played for a local group in South Florida known as The Stimulators, they put out an EP called Let It Bleed, I remember a lot of the word
"Babe" in their song titles.I seen them in a nightclub once, not much more than fast punk, if I remember right, it was after all like 1992ish. He now resides in N.Y.City
repairing Harley Davidsons.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 5:55 am

SSD has been one of my recent kicks.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 11:23 am

I was reading a Revolver special edition on the History of Metal, not worth picking up the mag IMO but they had a section of greatest punk albums of all time lists, and I never heard the music of Dag Nasty and the Refused, who made the list, any opinions on these bands? Worth picking up or something I should pass up if I see them used?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 11:26 am

Dag Nasty is great if you get the right stuff. I'm not an expert, but the compilation 85-86 is VERY worthy. Sounds like early Bad Religion with a much more powerful shouting vocalist. I also recommend "Four On The Floor". A "comeback" album of sorts. Not unlike later Bad Religion. A little popish vibe thrown in here and there. But an album I recommend avoiding is "Field Day". Straight up pop rock if I remember correctly, and it wasn't done well.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 am

Thanks for the recommendations Spec.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 7:58 pm

manny wrote:
......the Refused, who made the list, any opinions on these bands?

Not a fan of this Swedish band but their record "The Shape Of Punk To Come" (Handy take on the title of an Ornette Coleman record) from the late 90's is considered a landmark of the genre.......

Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 2:10 pm

manny wrote:
I was reading a Revolver special edition on the History of Metal, not worth picking up the mag IMO but they had a section of greatest punk albums of all time lists, and I never heard the music of Dag Nasty and the Refused, who made the list, any opinions on these bands? Worth picking up or something I should pass up if I see them used?
Can I Say is the essential Dag Nasty album. After that they went a little pop. Minority of One is the only other one worth owning.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next