Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?

Go down 
+16
nevermore
Troublezone
DallasBlack
Lurideath
sam
kmorg
Required Fields
Thrasher73
Temple of Blood
Olafsto
biddle
Stender
Rex
ultmetal
mc666
Wargod
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? Empty
PostSubject: Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?   Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 10:49 am

Ok here is my ? Do todays thrash bands rival those of the 80's? I mean there is a great revival of new thrash bands coming those like Municiple Waste, Dekapitator, Gama Bomb, Evile, Bonded By Blood, Guillotine, Warbringer, Exmortus, Hatchet, Fueled By Fire, Lazarus, Merciless Death, Toxic Holocaust, Pitiful Reign, Violator, Decadence..........

All these IMO are great as hell but do the match up well with the 80's thrash bands?

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?   Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 10:55 am

the new stuff isn't ground breaking like the 80's stuff was, but the production is definitely better, even on the raw stuff. overall, it's just as good to my ears.

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?   Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 11:06 am

I think it's hard to get past the nostalgia of the older bands. However, I think the newer thrash bands are great too. I'm enjoying the thrash revival myself.

PostSubject: Re: Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?   Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 11:18 am

I must admit that I haven't checked out many of the recent bands. Thrash is a style that I don't listen to much anymore, when I am in the mood I tend to reach for the classics.
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?   Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 11:42 am

Its not even close. The older bands waste the new crop IMO.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?   Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 12:52 pm

Rex wrote:
Its not even close. The older bands waste the new crop IMO.

Yeah, your right.....not saying the new stuff is bad though.
Back to top Go down
biddle
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
biddle

Number of posts : 337

PostSubject: Re: Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?   Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 12:58 pm

Wargod48 wrote:
Ok here is my ? Do todays thrash bands rival those of the 80's? I mean there is a great revival of new thrash bands coming those like Municiple Waste, Dekapitator, Gama Bomb, Evile, Bonded By Blood, Guillotine, Warbringer, Exmortus, Hatchet, Fueled By Fire, Lazarus, Merciless Death, Toxic Holocaust, Pitiful Reign, Violator, Decadence..........

All these IMO are great as hell but do the match up well with the 80's thrash bands?

Wargod48

..........Hyades, Ultimatum, Avenger of Blood...

yes. I think some of the bands listed are easily as good as the old bands.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?   Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 1:52 pm

mc666 wrote:
the new stuff isn't ground breaking like the 80's stuff was, but the production is definitely better, even on the raw stuff. overall, it's just as good to my ears.

My thoughts exactly!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?   Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 2:41 pm

You could say every genre of metal has already peaked, not just thrash.

A lot of the old thrash bands sucked. A lot of people on message boards go ga-ga over a lot of older thrash bands that I've always thought sucked and I love thrash metal. The new crop to me also has a lot of overhyped bands that got scooped up to bigger labels undeservedly IMHO.

It's like the Christian vs. Secular debate. Take a tiny scene and compare it to a much larger one. The good stuff floats to the top and the large scene has more good stuff to choose from. The new thrash scene is much smaller than the late 80s thrash scene when everyone was jumping on the bandwagon.

I think some of the new thrash bands are still finding their way just like so many of the original scene had to, and for some of these bands the best is yet to come.

It's great to be able to buy new good thrash again after such a long dry spell.

Some recent favorites:
GAMA BOMB - Citizen Brain
SUICIDAL ANGELS - Eternal Domination
STRIKEMASTER - Up from the Massacre
VIOLATOR - Atomic Nightmare

Last edited by Temple of Blood on Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
biddle
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
biddle

Number of posts : 337

PostSubject: Re: Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?   Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 3:29 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
You could say every genre of metal has already peaked, not just thrash.

A lot of the old thrash bands sucked. A lot of people on message boards go ga-ga over a lot of older thrash bands that I've always thought sucked and I love thrash metal. The new crop to me also has a lot of overhyped bands that got scooped up to bigger labels undeservedly IMHO.

It's like the Christian vs. Secular debate. Take a tiny scene and compare it to a much larger one. The good stuff floats to the top and the large scene has more good stuff to choose from. The new thrash scene is much smaller than the late 80s thrash scene when everyone was jumping on the bandwagon.

I think some of the new thrash bands are still finding their way just like so many of the original scene had to, and for some of these bands the best is yet to come.

It's great to be able to buy new good thrash again after such a long dry spell.

Some recent favorites:
GAMA BOMB - Citizen Brain
SUICIDAL ANGELS - Eternal Domination
STRIKEMASTER - Up from the Massacre

I can agree with you on many points. It's always been true that some bands get picked up by labels while bands that truly deserve to be on a bigger label struggle iwth self financed albums. How does a band like Fueled by fire land a deal with Metal Blade, yet a band like Avenger of Blood are on an virtually unknown label? Why is it bands that has been recording for decades like Hirax and Ultimatum are independents?
I also agree its "It's great to be able to buy new good thrash again after such a long dry spell."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?   Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 4:26 pm

Fueled By Fire gets a deal because the guys in older bands are, well, older, and smarter. Labels, even the best of them, are in the business of explotation and making money off of that.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?   Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 8:29 pm

I think some of the newer bands are just as talented as the 80's bands.One thing some of the newer bands have going for them is better production.Its really hard to compare todays scene with the 80's for me because nostalgia plays such a huge role.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?   Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 10:38 pm

The thrash of the 80s/90s is way better than the thrash of today.

However, I do enjoy a lot of the thrash coming out today for sure.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?   Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 3:30 am

I don't see why it has to be better, worse or equal. To me it's like two different things. The newer bands lacks the diversity, imo. But there are still some great new bands around. For myself I've lost much of the interest in checking everything out. I''ve started to look more backwards, discovering the bands I missed out during the first round.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?   Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 10:28 am

It all rocks hard. 🤘

SO QUIT TALKING AND F****** MOSH! 🤘

lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?   Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 3:19 pm

Comparing thrash of the 80's with bands of today is like night and day. Thrash of today still has the same baring as it does today. Bands today are just as hungry as they were back in the day.

Its much harder to be in a band this day in age because of how things have gone. I play thrash for the love of the genre and don't want to rival anyone or any era. Personally, I have always been about supporting the thrash scene.

I'll add more to this later.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?   Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 4:02 pm

All music, particularly thrash had a certain sound in the 80s that can't truly be recaptured today IMO (though there might be some exceptions). I believe the better production kind of ruins a lot of it. I'm gettin burned out by thrash period though. I have purchased more thrash albums this year than I have in all my time as a metal fan. I have been focusing mostly on older ones (the newer ones, I've mostly heard samples of on HOM, I am putting on hold for now) but I'm getting them less frequently. The ones I get tired of the most is the yelling kind (Betrayer, Slayer, Exodus, and Sacrament, etc.). That is what made me pass over a Vio-Lence and Kreator album at the used CD store today. I prefer the more melodic ones (old Testament, Overkill, Xentrix, Metallica, Megadeth, Tourniquet, Deliverance, Anthrax, Flotsam & Jetsam, etc.). Unfortunatly the newer ones I've heard stick to the yelling. I have to be in the mood to listen to that kind which happens less frequently (I've only listened to Municipal Waste-The Art Of Partying once).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?   Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 4:27 pm

I think it's cool that young bands are playing thrash again but they just do not have the same quality, charisma or know how as the originators did. And the funny thing is they could try to follow some formula that the originators had but it just isn't the same. The energy is the same but the songwriting quality isn't.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?   Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 5:34 pm

mc666 wrote:

I agree with this statement,too.
Back to top Go down
King D
Metal novice
Metal novice
King D

Number of posts : 16

PostSubject: Re: Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?   Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 7:35 pm

I don't really like too many bands from the whole "Thrash revival". It's nothing really new and is very "safe". If thrash bands of today want to compete with the thrash bands of yesteryear, they have to mature as musicians and at least TRY to create something different.

... And another thing that I don't understand...

The lack of clean vocalists! Many very good thrash bands had clean vocalists in the 80s (ex: Flotsam and Jetsam, Anthrax, Toxik, Heathen, etc.), and I don't see why none of these new bands have been influenced by the likes of them. (They seem to be obsessed with Kreator and/or Exodus... sigh.)
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?   Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 8:49 pm

Totally agree that we need more modern thrash bands with melody and clean vocals.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?   Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 2:11 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
Totally agree that we need more modern thrash bands with melody and clean vocals.

Amen! cheers
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?   Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 6:25 am

Bring on the clean vocals! IMO it takes more talent to sound good clean than hide behind a growl.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?   Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 6:31 am

troublezone wrote:
Bring on the clean vocals! IMO it takes more talent to sound good clean than hide behind a growl.

And to play in key ... and to play guitar solos that are more than just yanking on the whammy bar ...
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?   Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 7:43 am

troublezone wrote:

I don't really mind the growling too much (i.e. I love Sepultura, Overkill, Ultimatum, etc.), it's the shouting (Municipal Waste, Slayer, Sacrament, etc.) that gets tiring after a while. But I agree, we need more singing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?   Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next