Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread

Go down 
+11
krokus
SAHB Healer
Schbopo
Svengo
MetalRob331
manny
Fat Freddy
EvyMetal
Troublezone
Zdan
Stender
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 4:22 pm

One of my favorites; Dead Kennedys.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 4:44 pm

Im not big on Hardcore Punk, I just cant get past the same repetitive fast drumming and punk sounding guitars. Add some groove like Sick of it All and Biohazard and I'm a fan. I much prefer todays Hardcore bands, as they involve more aggressive vocals and chants. Even then Im not the biggest fan.
Back to top Go down
Zdan
Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

Number of posts : 752

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 4:46 pm

Sick Of It All is a NYHC classic - love them to death. Their songs are also catchy as hell and powerful too. Their debut CD also has some genuine thrash riffing/buildups on there so that is cool too!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 4:48 pm

Zdan wrote:
Leeway!

Totally awesome thrash metal/crossover/hardcore with a more metallic bent than most crossover. Their album "Born To Expire" is really a metal one but with hardcore energy all over it. And the singer has this quasi-NWOBHM bent to him. Really unique stuff.

I saw Leeway open for Suicidal Tendencies many years ago. Cool band, I had a tape of BORN TO EXPIRE that I dubbed off of a pal after I saw that show but I lost it somewhere along the line, I haven't heard it in years.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Zdan
Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

Number of posts : 752

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 4:50 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Zdan wrote:
Leeway!

Totally awesome thrash metal/crossover/hardcore with a more metallic bent than most crossover. Their album "Born To Expire" is really a metal one but with hardcore energy all over it. And the singer has this quasi-NWOBHM bent to him. Really unique stuff.

I saw Leeway open for Suicidal Tendencies many years ago. Cool band, I had a tape of BORN TO EXPIRE that I dubbed off of a pal after I saw that show but I lost it somewhere along the line, I haven't heard it in years.

Yup very cool band indeed. I suggest you re-listen to Born To Expire - that is really a fun fun thrash album with some great riffing in it. Really underrated band.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 6:57 pm

Disharge, GBH, early TSOL.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 7:31 pm

Never heard Leeway's music so I have to check them out, like Shamu I love the Dead Kennedys, and Sick of it All, a great New Yawk hardcore who I saw live back in the early 90's.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 8:33 pm

How'zabout Carnivore's RETALIATION album? The first album was pretty standard thrash but RETALIATION upped the Noo Yawk hardcore flavors BIG time. That is still one helluva ferocious disc today. One of my all time faves. 🤘

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 1:12 am

Stender wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
detuned wrote:
The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 2 325-1

🤘

Funny cover! Laughing

LOVE THE MEATMEN!!!

And when mommy tries to make Stender feel like a naughty boy..... [Ain't that right, Corey Clark, I mean detuned?] - Blud Sausage ruled!!

I have an extra copy of Leeways - Desperate Measures, which is also a killer thrash platter, for sale if anyone is interested.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 11:08 pm

Svengo wrote:

I guess it was his form of rebellion for that summer considering he was from D.C. and his mom had sent him away to a christian summer camp in Arkansas.

lol. Let that all be a lesson to you. This kinda music produces dysfunctional youth. Let your 10th grade music class teacher tell ya all about it. Schitt's no good for ya, son. It'll sperl yer insides.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 11:49 pm

Trying to get back into reviewing. This album fits this thread, though the decade is wrong.

http://www.eyesoretimes.com/2009/03/108-songs-of-separation.html
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 9:27 pm

I just put on Bad Brains' I Against I, which is definitely a crossover title for these guys. There's much more melody and slower grooves on this disc. At this juncture, the band was like one right turn away from breaking into the mainstream. Obviously, the group didn't want anything to do with that direction, because they surely were poised for a jump like that right about then. They coulda came out swinging on the next one and dominated the charts with a release something along the lines of the first Living Colour title. Funny, but I don't remember their album, Quickness, at all. Was it good? Was it on, or near, the same level as IAI? There were a few awesome 'all black' hard rock bands at the end of the 80's. Anyone remember 24-7 Spyz or Follow For Now?
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 9:47 pm

Marc Mason wrote:
I just put on Bad Brains' I Against I, which is definitely a crossover title for these guys. There's much more melody and slower grooves on this disc. At this juncture, the band was like one right turn away from breaking into the mainstream. Obviously, the group didn't want anything to do with that direction, because they surely were poised for a jump like that right about then. They coulda came out swinging on the next one and dominated the charts with a release something along the lines of the first Living Colour title. Funny, but I don't remember their album, Quickness, at all. Was it good? Was it on, or near, the same level as IAI? There were a few awesome 'all black' hard rock bands at the end of the 80's. Anyone remember 24-7 Spyz or Follow For Now?

Quickness is awesome, but I would say I against I is my favorate...actually I've come to the conclusion that you really cant go wrong with Bad Brains no matter how you spin it. 🤘
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 12:42 am

Stender wrote:

Quickness is awesome, but I would say I against I is my favorate...actually I've come to the conclusion that you really cant go wrong with Bad Brains no matter how you spin it. 🤘

I don't know about all o' that jazz. You go spinning these vinyl plates at 78 when they're meant to get the 331/3 treatment, and you're just asking for trouble, son. How 'bout you spin 'em backwards and rip a hole in the fabric of the space-time continuum? That's bound to ruin your evening.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 1:41 am

Marc Mason wrote:
Stender wrote:

I don't know about all o' that jazz. You go spinning these vinyl plates at 78 when they're meant to get the 331/3 treatment, and you're just asking for trouble, son. How 'bout you spin 'em backwards and rip a hole in the fabric of the space-time continuum? That's bound to ruin your evening.

I think opening another dimension via record player would be awesome...
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 2:12 pm

CRYPTIC SLAUGHTER and IMPULSE MANSLAUGHTER were also two increible crossover bands.
CAPITOL PUNISHMENT were cool too, but more punk. FINAL CONFLICT we should not forget either, great hc. ASHES TO ASHES is a classic.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 8:45 pm

Stender wrote:

That didn't work out too well for Skippy in "Trick Or Treat" or the kids in "The Gate" though.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 9:27 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Stender wrote:

That didn't work out too well for Skippy in "Trick Or Treat" or the kids in "The Gate" though.

80's GEEK ALERT! 80's GEEK ALERT!

lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 8:31 pm

OMG. How can we not be speaking about VOIVOD? This gang of Metal deliquents and freethinkers invented some of the 80's most interesting, forward-looking stuff. You might not technically consider them to be a 'hardcore' group, but there's such a heavy hardcore influence on their early stuff that they're worth a mention here.

I always thought these characters to be British. But they Canucks. Influenced equally by the NWOBHM, the burgeoning hardcore punk scene and 70’s Prog Rock, The Vod forged a distinctive brand of heavy music which often relied on lyrical themes such as Reagan-era Cold War politics, post-apocalyptic literature and science Fiction. Sweet fodder for an inexorable romp in the pit.

What's great about Voivod is that the amalgam of dispararte musical ideas which they melded together truly seems to have no precedence anywhere to be found. There's a bunch of bands that appear this way on the surface, but once you look a bit deeper, you will find the prior outfits which led to their sound. Then, they really don't seem so original anymore. But, Voivod is definitely one of those rare cards who seemed to break all restrictive barriers and labels, carving out a unique genre of music, of which they were the only occupants.

I dig so much of this stuff that I can't really single out anything. I love them as a hardcore thrash/punk/space-prog outfit, exemplified on a recording like Dimension: Hatross, or a more refined, polished version of themselves, as perfected on The Outer Limits. It's all good. I'll certainly take the worst of Voivod over the bes of what the Kokk Rokk era had to offer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 8:49 pm

Marc Mason wrote:

What's great about Voivod is that the amalgam of dispararte musical ideas which they melded together truly seems to have no precedence anywhere to be found.

King Crimson. Piggy was heavily influenced by Robert Fripp, you can hear it in both his solos and his choice of chords. That was really the thing that set Voivod apart, the chordal vocabulary was much broader than you usually find in standard thrash. They did a cover of 21st Century Schizoid Man on Phobos. They definitely had their own sound, but you can hear the influences loud and clear.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 8:55 pm

Marc Mason wrote:
OMG. How can we not be speaking about VOIVOD? This gang of Metal deliquents and freethinkers invented some of the 80's most interesting, forward-looking stuff. You might not technically consider them to be a 'hardcore' group, but there's such a heavy hardcore influence on their early stuff that they're worth a mention here.

I always thought these characters to be British. But they Canucks. Influenced equally by the NWOBHM, the burgeoning hardcore punk scene and 70’s Prog Rock, The Vod forged a distinctive brand of heavy music which often relied on lyrical themes such as Reagan-era Cold War politics, post-apocalyptic literature and science Fiction. Sweet fodder for an inexorable romp in the pit.

What's great about Voivod is that the amalgam of dispararte musical ideas which they melded together truly seems to have no precedence anywhere to be found. There's a bunch of bands that appear this way on the surface, but once you look a bit deeper, you will find the prior outfits which led to their sound. Then, they really don't seem so original anymore. But, Voivod is definitely one of those rare cards who seemed to break all restrictive barriers and labels, carving out a unique genre of music, of which they were the only occupants.

I dig so much of this stuff that I can't really single out anything. I love them as a hardcore thrash/punk/space-prog outfit, exemplified on a recording like Dimension: Hatross, or a more refined, polished version of themselves, as perfected on The Outer Limits. It's all good. I'll certainly take the worst of Voivod over the bes of what the Kokk Rokk era had to offer.

Honestly, I've never been much of a Voivod fan.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 9:04 pm

Honestly, I've never been much of a Voivod fan.[/quote]

Check out some of the titles towards the bottom of this page:

http://plunksound.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 9:30 pm

Marc Mason wrote:

Check out some of the titles towards the bottom of this page:

http://plunksound.blogspot.com/

Marc Mason, have you downloaded your music collection illegally from the interwebs?
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 10:00 pm

80's hardcore is my favorite genre. I like way to many bands to even start to list them all though. Most of you probably wouldn't know a lot of them anyway as I've seen only the more well known bands talked about here so far.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 10:04 pm

7thSecond wrote:
80's hardcore is my favorite genre. I like way to many bands to even start to list them all though. Most of you probably wouldn't know a lot of them anyway as I've seen only the more well known bands talked about here so far.

We might surprise you, spit 'em out! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next