Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread

Go down 
+11
krokus
SAHB Healer
Schbopo
Svengo
MetalRob331
manny
Fat Freddy
EvyMetal
Troublezone
Zdan
Stender
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread Empty
PostSubject: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 1:55 am

Wholy cow, mate. I just grabbed a frikkin CD title that I haven't heard in too many years to care to count. And, it sounds so damn good. Man, talk about a time capsule. I don't think I ever had as big of a feeling of deja vu/nostalgia as what I just experienced mere moments ago when I plugged in and heard...Crumbsuckers - Life Of Dreams. NYC Hardcore lives!

When I was just a wee sprout back in the 9th, 10th grade, some of the 'bad kids' had their way with my earholes and totally fouled them with what they were calling 'New York City Hardcore'. Ya gots to understand, I was listening to the likes of Zeppelin and The Stones at the time, and here comes Jim and Brian with their 'bad kid' music, which I was just so sure would corrupt and blacken my soul, eventually leading to vile and lewd acts of depravity and mild to medium debauchery.

I guess that was all just wishful thinking, because nothing out of the ordinary happened after the first track. Nothing at all. And, I guess that I was wishing it would. lol. All that happened was that I developed a taste for this really crude form of artistic expression. At least for about a year, I did. I began digging groups like D.R.I., Agnostic Front, Black Flag, Murphy's Law, S.O.D., Bad Brains, Corrosion, Ludichrist, Cro-Mags...and, of course, Long Island's own Crumbsuckers.

But, that was all so many years ago. And, I'd like to think that I moved on to much greener pastures. But, in the back o' me mind, that little thrasing punk is still alive, revin' and rarin' to go for another plunge back into the pit of debauchery and another shot at glory. Anybody have a taste for this kinda, now classic stuff? And, who's pulled out a title or two recently? If so, tell us about it. If not, the below picture should act as a sorta consolation prize for you having to read this deep into something which is totally irrelevant to you and your life. lol.

http://www.musicbanter.com/avatars/6538.gif?dateline=1230322972
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 2:29 am

Yeah, Crumbsuckers rule man. I wasnt even born yet when that D.C hardcore scene was erupting, so needless to say I have had a lot of catching up to do over the years. I would say that I like the thrash/HC/punk from the westcoast better then the east but some of those bands you mentioned are some of my favs of all time...bad brains, murphys law, S.O.D, etc.

For bands that I have been spinning lately....Neighborhood watch. One of the many HC bands from the LA scene in the early 80's that didnt get as much street cred that they deserved IMO. Anyways, they called it quits for awhile than started back up in 1992 and have now put out a reissue of their disc and a live DVD from 92' as well. Check em if you get the chance.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 3:17 am

The search function is your friend.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 3:38 am

I don't think I remember a 'Neighborhood Watch'. Gotta look into them.

Eyesore wrote:

What is this crypic slogan meant to mean? I assume that it's telling me that a similar thread exists somewhere and I didn't do the leg work to find the sucka and pull it out. Right?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 3:48 am

Marc Mason wrote:
I don't think I remember a 'Neighborhood Watch'. Gotta look into them.

Eyesore wrote:
What is this crypic slogan meant to mean? I assume that it's telling me that a similar thread exists somewhere and I didn't do the leg work to find the sucka and pull it out. Right?
Not quite so cryptic, then, eh?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 3:53 am

lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 5:20 am

Crossover and true hardcore continue to be my daily fruit. That is the school I went to and everything I love tumbled out from there.

Crumbsuckers were great, if for no other reason than it gave Gary his first vehicle. To this day, Pro-pain crank out one glorious album after another.
Back to top Go down
Zdan
Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

Number of posts : 752

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 5:36 am

Leeway!

Totally awesome thrash metal/crossover/hardcore with a more metallic bent than most crossover. Their album "Born To Expire" is really a metal one but with hardcore energy all over it. And the singer has this quasi-NWOBHM bent to him. Really unique stuff.

As for the things listed - Cro-Mags rule totally. I love their SECOND album "Best Wishes" - heavy as hell and with lots of melody and aggression.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 12:32 pm

Zdan wrote:
Leeway!

Totally awesome thrash metal/crossover/hardcore with a more metallic bent than most crossover. Their album "Born To Expire" is really a metal one but with hardcore energy all over it. And the singer has this quasi-NWOBHM bent to him. Really unique stuff.

As for the things listed - Cro-Mags rule totally. I love their SECOND album "Best Wishes" - heavy as hell and with lots of melody and aggression.

You know, I have never looked into this band before because I thought they were some pseudo hardcore or merry emo band because of the name. I'll have to give them a chance now.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 12:37 pm

Quote :
I love their SECOND album "Best Wishes" - heavy as hell and with lots of melody and aggression.

That's their best album as far as i'm concerned. Harley is a million times better than John Joseph.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 1:10 pm

I'm with Sax on the fact that I love listening to Hardcore and Crossover through out the years. I'm still getting into the 80's Hardcore scene, but I've liked the new ones such as Bracewar, Ceremony, and Outbreak.
Back to top Go down
Zdan
Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 1:32 pm

Stender wrote:
Zdan wrote:
Leeway!

You know, I have never looked into this band before because I thought they were some pseudo hardcore or merry emo band because of the name. I'll have to give them a chance now.

Nah man - if you like the more metal moments of the Mags' you will love Leeway. They are perhaps the most metallic NYHC band - really great stuff. Also very impressive from a musical standpoint - riffs galore and catchy as hell songs. No emo or pseudohardcore stuff there.

Troublezone: Absolutely man! Songs like "Death Camps" are pure metal madness. Also the production (the bass sound in particular) is a lot better than the debut.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 1:33 pm

Corrosion of Conformity's ANIMOSITY album still makes me want to break stuff after all these years.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Zdan
Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 1:35 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Corrosion of Conformity's ANIMOSITY album still makes me want to break stuff after all these years.

That one is also a total classic. Their dark and almost "no hope left" take on crossover is truly something to behold. I also love them as a southern rock/metal band too!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 1:40 pm

Black Flag!!!!

We are gonna Rise Above it!!!

We're Gonna to Have a TV Party Tonight !!!!
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 1:44 pm

SAXON1500 wrote:
Crossover and true hardcore continue to be my daily fruit. That is the school I went to and everything I love tumbled out from there.

Crumbsuckers were great, if for no other reason than it gave Gary his first vehicle. To this day, Pro-pain crank out one glorious album after another.

Gary is the man and Pro-Pain like you said just continue to put out killer albums after killer albums.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 1:48 pm

The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread 325-1

🤘
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 1:49 pm

detuned wrote:

🤘

Funny cover! Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 1:50 pm

The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread 200px-Dbcells
Back to top Go down
Zdan
Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 1:51 pm

And good music too. Totally off the road stuff - aggressive as hell.

Edit: Speaking about the Meatmen.

And DBC rule also - but I would put them more in the thrash metal category. Just really speedy and vicious.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 1:54 pm

Troublezone wrote:

Funny cover! Laughing

That album is a friggin' CLASSIC.

Check out sampling of the song titles:

Tooling For Anus
One Down Three To Go (it's about The Beatles - "John Lennon's dead, shot him in the head, etc)
Dumping Ground
Mr. Tapeworm
Orgy Of One
I Sin For A Living
Buttocks

etc.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 2:34 pm

I gotta look into this Pro-Pain. Sounds like it might be up my alley.

After I polished off The Crumbsuckers last night, I went straight for some D.R.I. I had the LPs 'Dealing With It' and 'Crossover' when I was a kid, and these titles hit a comfortable spot all those many years later. I forgot how funny many of the D.R.I. songs were. And, what a unique voice.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 2:58 pm

detuned wrote:
The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread 200px-Dbcells

They were more thrash, but yeah totally badass. One of my favorate thrash bands from Canada, right next to Razor.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 2:59 pm

Troublezone wrote:
detuned wrote:

🤘

Funny cover! Laughing

LOVE THE MEATMEN!!!
Back to top Go down
Svengo
Metal master
Metal master
Svengo

Number of posts : 967

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 3:08 pm

This thread reminds me of one year as a kid when I was away at summer camp there was a kid from D.C. there who would blast various D.C. area punk bands at high volume until they took his "boom box" away from him.

I remember several of the bands he played, but he seemed to be really high on one called
Dag Nasty.
I guess it was his form of rebellion for that summer considering he was from D.C. and his mom had sent him away to a christian summer camp in Arkansas.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread   The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The 80's Hardcore Punk/Thrash thread
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next