Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread

Go down 
+18
AchrisK
chucksteak
Hamer12
Sabbath In Solitude
Svengo
Schbopo
Required Fields
sam
MetalRob331
rattpoison
Thrasher73
Lurideath
MetalGuy71
manny
ultmetal
nevermore
Fat Freddy
mc666
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread   The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 12:51 am

Tis a shame MG, out of print and from the other side of the world is not a good combination as Shiney can attest to.

I can hook you up with some D/L's if your desperate (PM me).

How about this British band who are quite unheralded in Stoner circles......like the Stooges shot through a "Purple Haze" or the Stones on Blue Cheer.....produced by Chris Robinson and alot easier to attain.......

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread   The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 9:57 am

These guys sound vaugely familiar, at least in the name. Never heard the music though. Not bad.

Thanks for the offer RP, but I'm not big on downloading stuff. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed when I'm dumpster diving at the used shops.

PostSubject: Re: The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread   The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 7:54 pm

detuned wrote:
Recently I've been hooked on the bands doing the full-on retro thing. So far my favorites are all from one city in Sweden (Orebro).

Witchcraft
Graveyard
Dead Man

I've had the pleasure of seeing Graveyard (twice) and Witchcraft during the last 6 months, both bands are much better live than the CDs have captured thus far.

Dead Man has the potential to be something really special, I've had both of their albums on constant rotation for the last few months.

Phuck, son. You - are - The - King, ming....Ya eva notice that when one compliments another on his taste in music it's entirely because the other's taste is a total mirror of his own? lol. When I say that 'you are the king', it's really like I'm saying that 'I'M the king. ahahahaha. lol. Sorry 'bout that. Just a wee tad of observational humour there aimed at lifting ya seasonal doldrums.

So, this Orebro, Sweden is precisely what I'm talking about, friend. Sweden in general has been the land of massive quality this decade. This retro scene, and their longstanding Prog Rock scene, is what The U.S. and England were in past decades. And, you've been seeing these outfits live, huh? I assume that you get out a lot to the smaller venues. You live by a major city, bro?

All three of these outfits you cited seem to be total Pentagram-heads. Funny thing is that I've heard much more from these Pentagram-influenced bands than I've heard from the original act. Now, I'm aware that Witchcraft and Graveyard began their life as Penta cover bands. But, is the same true for Dead Man? I actually heard Dead Man first, but then overlooked them in favor of Witchcraft.

I think that Witchcraft's The Alchemist was tremendously appealing, and accessible enough to get them some real international attention. But, that never happened. The label shoulda done a trick or two with marketing back when Wolfmother was at the height of their popularity, and maybe Witchcraft coulda taken over Wolf's slot when the noise died down on them.

But, is there really room for all three of these guys out there? With all them having such a similiar sound and direction? Not likely, right? Not likely a'tall, son. Let's see what other brethren here feel about these three particular bands and their odds of breaking through on an international level. My money's on Witchcraft, based on tunes like 'Walk Between The Lines'. There's some use of Flute and Hammond Organ in some of the tracks by all three, but not enough in my book. That's one thing that 'Blood Ceremony' has got going for them. But, like I said, they're a tad to kitschy in some spots. What do you think of those guys?

Folks, give a fairly even listen to these three Swedish outfits and tell us who you think has got the best chance at riches and longevity in the future.

http://www.imeem.com/tag/?f=music&q=artist:%22witchcraft%22
Witchcraft
http://www.imeem.com/tag/?f=music&q=artist:dead%20man%20album:euphoria
Dead Man
http://www.imeem.com/tag/?f=music&q=artist:graveyard%20%20album:graveyard
Graveyard
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread   The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 8:11 pm

The world is a large place, big enough I expect for 3 bands from Sweden to get a nice little loyal cult following. They do share a common aesthetic, but their individual sounds are varied enough not to cancel each other out.

I saw Graveyard twice in about a month, the second time I saw them the set was completely different...most of the same songs, but the arrangements had been altered to a great degree. Graveyard is definitely an improv band, Dead Man even more so. Witchcraft is the most polished, but I expect very good things from all of them in the future.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread   The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 9:42 pm

How about this flarkin BARONESS? There's been a bunch of bands who have got my attention as of late, but them and GIANT SQUID are above and beyond. Baroness' Red Album and Giant Squid's Metridium Fields are definitely two titles on my Top Ten or Fifteen picks for this entire decade. I think that both releases are incredibly innovative, and both have a extremely high replay value. There are quite a number of recordings which I'm ga-ga over in the short term...but, when I go and play them a year or so later the love affair's way over. The mark of a great album is whether or not that recording is going to sound really good a year, two, five, ten years later. Both, the Baroness and Squid releases are too young to be able to fulfill that criteria of seeing whether they stand the test of time. But, my money says that they will. Incredible stuff. If you haven't heard 'em yet, go and get 'em. Along the same lines, the latest from The Ocean and Intronaut are absolute killer. Another two winners...Here's some quality samples. But, for whatever reason, The Baroness samples are missing a few of the best tracks from The Red Album. 'Rays on Pinion' was the single and it's missing from ranks. Check out the website for Baroness. Many of the good tracks are there instead. Enjoy ya'll.

Baroness
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=54969598
http://www.imeem.com/people/peonym/music/HE29pBBs/baroness-red-sky/
http://www.imeem.com/nink/music/WXRIJkcq/baroness-rise/
http://www.imeem.com/people/Jw22k2z/music/41tTof0s/baroness-son-of-sun/
Giant Squid
http://www.imeem.com/rockmusic14/music/9VBGWO6u/giant-squid-neonate/
http://www.imeem.com/rockmusic14/music/ggceqJ8b/giant-squid-ampullae-of-lorenzini/
http://www.imeem.com/rockmusic14/music/33ODbd0A/giant-squid-versus-the-siren/
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=11132254
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread   The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 10:31 pm

If I've got some Sabbath, Priestess, The Sword, or Queens of The Stone Age, I'm happy. Haven't looked much beyond that.
Back to top Go down
Svengo
Metal master
Metal master
Svengo

Number of posts : 967

PostSubject: Re: The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread   The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 11:06 pm

Hello all, new here
I saw this thread and decided to jump in.

I certainly like some doom and stoner as well as the most of the post-metal that incorporates much of these styles.
I'd highly recommend Isole, a Swedish band that I guess I would call epic doom. They have a new album called Silent Ruins that is really good.

On the sorta post-metal front I really like Iron Thrones. They incorporate some doom as well as some death metal stylings into their stuff. I don't believe that they are even signed yet as their current album was self produced and has been made available as a free download by the band. I highly recommend it.

http://www.ironthrones.com/?page_id=11
Back to top Go down
Sabbath In Solitude
Metal novice
Metal novice
Sabbath In Solitude

Number of posts : 79

PostSubject: Re: The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread   The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 12:46 am

Don't know about the latest crop,but back in the 90's ,the majority of doom bands were kind of like a family,the very night I met John Perez,after saying hi and nice to meet you,the very next words out his mouth were have you heard Count Raven,or Internal Void etc etc.The bands all had kind of a brotherhood of sorts,I don't think anyone's name has appeared so much in so many different cds as JP's has.

This ,besides the great music ,is one of the reasons I have always so strongly supported the scene.The majority of bands were just playing what they wanted to play,no trying to achieve any particular sales goals ,though we all helped out as much as we could,and doing what they enjoyed doing,great times !
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sabbsteve aka The Planet Doom

PostSubject: Re: The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread   The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 12:59 am

Svengo, you are the king. Here only five seconds longer than myself and you've already dropped the names of two bands in the specific genres that I'm lookin for, but not yet familiar with yet. An Epic Doom band from Sweden? Are you so serious, son? I'm absolutely ga-ga over that Candlemass, so I 'll have some big expectations for this Isole. Now, how do you pronounce that? Like, Ice-hole?

And, a post-rock deal called Iron Thrones, which is a tad Doom and Death too. Hey, you dig The Ocean at all? Really sludgy, almost Death-like vocals. But, really creative stuff that I never heard before them. This Iron Thrones must be brand spankin new, 'cause they ain't showin up on many o' searches.

I found one track for Isole though. This here guy. Is this the right band:

http://www.imeem.com/people/WP-r6V/music/1CiUJHCb/isole-forevermore/
Back to top Go down
Svengo
Metal master
Metal master
Svengo

PostSubject: Re: The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread   The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 1:24 am

Hmmm, don't know The Ocean. I'll check them out.

Download the Iron Thrones (link in above post). It's for me a no brainer since it's quality stuff and free in a good quality 320kbps mp3 format. I'll eventually purchase the actual cd from them.

I like all sorts of metal as well as other styles of music but it's nice to know others on this board like these styles of metal/rock.
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread   The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 1:08 pm

Boris
Burning Witch
Goatsnake
Sleep
Weedeater
Electric Wizard
Titan
Comets on Fire
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread   The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 2:34 pm

Thanks to SAHB Healer's recommendation I've been checking out Spiritual Beggars. I LIKE IT!

Last edited by detuned on Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:32 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : stupid spelling mistake)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread   The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 2:53 pm

Listen to SAHG...
Back to top Go down
chucksteak
Metal student
Metal student
chucksteak

Number of posts : 133

PostSubject: Re: The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread   The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 5:30 pm

Some of my favs would be(and the most obvious ones):

anything Wino related:The Obsessed,Spirit Caravan,The Hidden Hand,St. Vitus,Place of Skulls
The Mystick Krewe Of Clearlight
Candlemass
Solitude Aeuturnus
Tummler
The Atomic Bitchwax
Alabama Thunderpussy
Firebird
Sixty Watt Shaman
The Mighty Nimbus
Goatsnake
Unida
Trouble
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread   The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 8:08 pm

Marc, I've been meaning to check out Giant Squid. Thanks for those links. Isole is pronounced I-so-lay.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread   The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 11:00 pm

I mentioned SAHG in my intial post. I phuckin love that band. They're like a Scandanavian version of DOWN, a sludgy, bluesy Metal band that puts together really accessible, memorable music. Like DOWN, another supergroup, but comprised of all Black Metal members. One of the guys is King from Gorgoroth. I guarantee that you all love the second title. Never heard the first one. Check this out, right here: http://www.imeem.com/people/XpANE0g/music/7fxIlU_7/sahg-pyromancer/

nevermore wrote:
Marc, I've been meaning to check out Giant Squid. Thanks for those links. Isole is pronounced I-so-lay.

You familiar with Baroness then, I assume? What a band, right? Their two EPSs are just straight up, amazing sludgy Post-Rock/Doom which just kicks the crap outta everything around it. And, ya think that that's good enough. That it can't get better than what they did there. But, then the Red Album is just leaps and bounds above the EPs. Really smart schitt... I'm listening to Giant Squid right now. They're another one in Baroness' class. I checking into the most recent one, but I wouldn't advise this thing for someone who isn't already into them. There's much less Doom-laden riffage going on with the new project. What ya need to be getting is the first full-length...Metridium Fields. Did you check out the samples I posted? Here, listen to this: http://www.imeem.com/rockmusic14/music/9VBGWO6u/giant-squid-neonate/
Back to top Go down
Svengo
Metal master
Metal master
Svengo

PostSubject: Re: The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread   The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 10:38 am

Checked out The Ocean thanks to Marc. I really like 'em, thanks for the recommendation!

I also started listening to Bison B.C. a Canadian Stoner/Sludge band that I'm really diggin'.
Checkout their Myspace!

http://www.myspace.com/bisoneastvan

I also noticed that They are on a European tour right now with The Ocean and Burst.
Now that would be an awesome show! 🤘
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

PostSubject: Re: The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread   The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 12:59 pm

Warhorse - As Heaven Turns to Ash is a pretty good doom album. It was released on Southern Lord.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread   The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 3:09 pm

Svengo wrote:
Checked out The Ocean thanks to Marc. I really like 'em, thanks for the recommendation!

I also started listening to Bison B.C. a Canadian Stoner/Sludge band that I'm really diggin'.
Checkout their Myspace!

I also noticed that They are on a European tour right now with The Ocean and Burst.
Now that would be an awesome show! 🤘

Yo, cool that you dig The Ocean. I'm pretty sure that there's some kinda Oceanic concept album going on there, but I'd need the lyrics to be sure. If you dig them, then there's a good chance that you'd like both Baroness and Giant Squid. Check out the links above.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread   The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 5:09 pm

I'm listening to Witchcraft's The Alchemist right now. What an all-around great sound for a band. And, they almost make this product of theirs palatable enough for the masses to consume on 2007's 'The Alchemist' But, no worries, mate. The population at large isn't going to, all of sudden, out of nowhere, just develop a taste for really good music. Ain't going to happen. Not in the U.S. Not never. They're too busy sucking down the awful, noxious fumes of the ass-smoke emitting from bands like Nickleback. Ugh! Another recent release which was hard as nails, but full of easy to digest, memorable melody lines was Trouble's Simple Mind Condition. Frakkin thing is sweet, son! To accompany that awesome pair of Retro-Doom, ya'll have to toss in a modern, epic, concept piece which is fit to rival anything from their past catalogue....I'm talking about Candlemass' King of the Grey Islands. This is a serious Doom package to make ya feel good about where music stands at the end of this first decade of the new millenium.

Here's a coupla tracks offa Trouble's Simple Mind Condition to entice:

http://www.imeem.com/people/R4OjpZ/music/roqdKGRo/trouble-goin-home/
Goin' Home
http://www.imeem.com/people/PxFtaKJ/music/hREBT6iD/trouble-after-the-rain/
After The Rain
Back to top Go down
Svengo
Metal master
Metal master
Svengo

PostSubject: Re: The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread   The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 6:23 pm

Yeah, Simple Mind Condition is a good record. Too bad it hasn't gotten a proper U.S. release as from the last I heard it's still only available as an import.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread   The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 9:37 pm

Svengo wrote:
Yeah, Simple Mind Condition is a good record. Too bad it hasn't gotten a proper U.S. release as from the last I heard it's still only available as an import.

You are correct sir. A major U.S. label should be smart enough to pick up this band and this album, make a couple of high-priced music videos for the group, get them on a good tour, and just give them some general, overall support, in effect, changing the landscape of modern music. But, that doesn't happen anymore with good, quality, hard rock bands. Alice in Chains and Soundgarden were the last ones. The record companies have made the American music scene into a quiffly affair. A fagly time is guaranteed for all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread   The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 9:47 pm

Sorry to disappoint you Marc, but both Eric Wagner & Jeff Olson have left Trouble over the past year. Bruce & Rick are currently working with Kory Clarke on vocals...and it's a combination that doesn't work at all.

As for Simple Mind Condition, the label that issued it (Escapi) ran out of money and was unable to secure a U.S. distribution deal. So it's in limbo.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread   The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 11:31 pm

This is some exceedingly bad news, bro. Guess that's why they call the stuff 'Doom', right? Schitt is dark and somber, yo. The blues ain't got nothin' on Doom, playa.

Why do bands always split when they've got their schitt intact and all their ducks in neatly assembled row?

I'm listening to Zep 5 right now. Wouldya qualify the track 'No Quarter' as being Zep's one and only attempt at Doom? lol. No, but really. Well, Dazed and Confused had some potential too. You laugh, but these are all seeds for the genre, mate. If they woulda used some drop tuning on this one, it woulda been muy creepioso, yo.

♪♫ Walking side by side with death, devil mocks their every step. Ew, hew, hew, whew. Snow drives back the foot that's slow. The dogs of doom are howling more. Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah. They carry news that must get through, to build a dream for me and you. Oh, no, no, ho, ho. Build ya a path where no one - - goes.....Gratuitious Doom Riffage....They ask, they hold, they want, they ask , they ask no quarter. ♪♫

Right, brah?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread   The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 11:36 pm

"No Quarter" was darker and doomier than anything Sabbath did after their first album.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread   The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next