Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread

Go down 
+18
AchrisK
chucksteak
Hamer12
Sabbath In Solitude
Svengo
Schbopo
Required Fields
sam
MetalRob331
rattpoison
Thrasher73
Lurideath
MetalGuy71
manny
ultmetal
nevermore
Fat Freddy
mc666
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage

The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread   The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 4:23 pm

Svengo wrote:
I just may go ahead and pick up a couple of the discs. I've seen a few of 'em at some local used stores. I don't think it's too big of a risk as I like a pretty wide variety of pop/rock/metal/whatever.
detuned wrote:
but I wouldn't expect anything less from Josh because he loves all different types of music. (In fact I helped him pick out his first John Coltrane CDs years ago)
That's cool, I used to work at a couple of music stores that some pretty well known musicians would frequent and I'd usually help 'em with some genres they weren't familiar with.
Helping country musicians out with their electronic music selections was always interesting.

This was right around the time the Kyuss/Queens split EP came out. Josh was living in Seattle and was playing guitar with Screaming Trees at the time. I worked at a CD store on Capitol Hill (one of the other regular customers was Michael Medved the movie critic). Josh started coming into the store and I recognized him, one day he asked for some jazz recommendations so I helped him pick out some Coltrane, Mingus, Eric Dolphy, etc. We kept in touch and he invited me to the CD release party for the first Queens record. It was a fun time.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread   The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 6:11 pm

Check out Zoroaster if you haven't already. I think some of you folks will dig 'em.
Back to top Go down
SlaytanicPOWER
Metal master
Metal master
SlaytanicPOWER

Number of posts : 679

PostSubject: Re: The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread   The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 2:57 pm

Anybody into minimalism?

The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread - Page 7 Sunn01205kr1tw2dw7
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread   The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 4:15 pm

I'm a big fan of Earth, which were the pre-cursors to bands like SunnO))) and Boris. I just recently got "White One" and I'm enjoying it. Ambient music with distorted guitars works better than I initially thought it would.

I'm also a fan of Robert Fripp's "soundscape" albums, this music isn't too far removed from that.
Back to top Go down
Svengo
Metal master
Metal master
Svengo

Number of posts : 967

PostSubject: Re: The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread   The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 8:25 pm

detuned wrote:
I'm a big fan of Earth, which were the pre-cursors to bands like SunnO))) and Boris. I just recently got "White One" and I'm enjoying it. Ambient music with distorted guitars works better than I initially thought it would.

I'm also a fan of Robert Fripp's "soundscape" albums, this music isn't too far removed from that.
I like Earth, they're better than most drone bands I've heard.
I'm a bigger fan of the slightly less ambient bands such as The Ocean and Giant Squid.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread   The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Doom/Sludge/Stoner thread
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7