Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?

Go down 
+26
DallasBlack
vanillaviking
nevermore
James B.
exact33
the sentinel
stepcousin
Schbopo
XYZ
Wargod
Addy
iamrockerfun
akeldama
Metal Misfit
DeathCult
Sabbath In Solitude
skullsmasher
Troublezone
MetalGuy71
MetalRob331
chucksteak
Rex
manny
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
Gilbert
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
vanillaviking
Metal student
Metal student
vanillaviking

Number of posts : 118

Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 8:01 pm

i agree w/ nearly every post here. i get so pissed when i go see them though--that great back catalog..& all they play is one pop hit after another. Sleep
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 9:14 pm

Nuff said. 🤘

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
vanillaviking
Metal student
Metal student
vanillaviking

Number of posts : 118

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 11:11 pm

i loved when they did that live--steven tyler would just start slicking his hair back like in the video & you knew what was coming... 🤘
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 11:48 am

exact33 wrote:
I am a casual Aerosmith fan. I like some stuff every once in awhile but dont own anything from them. I mostly like the hits.

Alex

I used to be like that but I gave their older stuff a chance and got the albums whose hits I love (it didn't hurt that I was able to find many of them used and real cheap-every one under $5). Except the debut I ended up enjoying every one of them (Rocks is the only one I haven't been able to find in the used stores-or in the regular stores-but based on all the hype it gets here I definatly want to get it). As for the debut, it isn't bad, but compared to the others it just doesn't click well with me.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 12:19 pm

Quote :
As for the debut, it isn't bad, but compared to the others it just doesn't click well with me.

Steven Tyler's vocals on their debut sound very nasal-ly, except for 'Dream On', where he sounds more like the Steven we all know & love. I've listened to that album so many times it doesn't bother me, but there is certainly a difference from their debut to the 2nd album, Get Your Wings. Even the band sounds tighter and more polished. I guess that was a benefit of touring and a better budget to record.

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 12:30 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Steven Tyler's vocals on their debut sound very nasal-ly, except for 'Dream On', where he sounds more like the Steven we all know & love. I've listened to that album so many times it doesn't bother me, but there is certainly a difference from their debut to the 2nd album, Get Your Wings. Even the band sounds tighter and more polished. I guess that was a benefit of touring and a better budget to record.

Jack Douglas' production on Get Your Wings has something to do with that difference between it and the debut.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 12:53 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Jack Douglas' production on Get Your Wings has something to do with that difference between it and the debut.

True dat.

Metal student
Metal student
Muloc7253

Number of posts : 246

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 4:28 pm

There were way too many copies of Pump printed. Everywhere you go people are trying to sell it...stores, used bins, trade lists. Heck, I can't even pawn off my second copy.

Anyways, I dig Aerosmith although I don't listen to them so much these days. 'Nine Lives' is very underrated. Their self-titled doesn't get much mention either, just as good as Rocks and Toys imo.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 5:14 pm

Muloc7253 wrote:
There were way too many copies of Pump printed. Everywhere you go people are trying to sell it...stores, used bins, trade lists. Heck, I can't even pawn off my second copy.

I got my copy from Half-Price Books for $1.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 7:13 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
exact33 wrote:
I am a casual Aerosmith fan. I like some stuff every once in awhile but dont own anything from them. I mostly like the hits.

Alex

I used to be like that but I gave their older stuff a chance and got the albums whose hits I love (it didn't hurt that I was able to find many of them used and real cheap-every one under $5). Except the debut I ended up enjoying every one of them (Rocks is the only one I haven't been able to find in the used stores-or in the regular stores-but based on all the hype it gets here I definatly want to get it). As for the debut, it isn't bad, but compared to the others it just doesn't click well with me.

I probably should try and get and listen to their older stuff but with so much other stuff out there its hard to take the time. I am on my ZZ Top kick now so maybe I will go back after I find ZZ's last 2 cds I am missing...

Alex

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 8:33 pm

exact33 wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
exact33 wrote:

Alex

I probably should try and get and listen to their older stuff but with so much other stuff out there its hard to take the time. I am on my ZZ Top kick now so maybe I will go back after I find ZZ's last 2 cds I am missing...

Alex

Understandable. The only reason why I gave the albums a chance was because Movie Trading Company had a $5 sale on Alice In Chains, Van Halen, AC/DC, and Aerosmith CDs (as well as others, but they were crap) so I picked up Get Your Wings, Toys In The Attic, and the s/t from Aerosmith as well as some of the other band's albums (Facelift, Van Halen, 5150, Dirty Deeds, and Razor's Edge).
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 8:38 pm

I have to say that AEROSMITH has been since the 70's and every decade they have updated their formula. I feel they have succeeded every time they have changed their formula. But their best work is from the 70's
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 8:50 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Also Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter from Lou Reed's band who helped out with the guitar parts. I've heard they even played the whole thing but i'm less inclined to believe that......could've happened though.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 8:55 pm

rattpoison wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Also Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter from Lou Reed's band who helped out with the guitar parts. I've heard they even played the whole thing but i'm less inclined to believe that......could've happened though.

Dick Wagner played the guitar solo on Train Kept A Rollin'.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 9:12 pm

ultmetal wrote:
rattpoison wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Dick Wagner played the guitar solo on Train Kept A Rollin'.

I think Wagner and Hunter's ghost work was a bit more then has been let on, i read an interview with Douglas and he stated that the band wanted a lot more technical guitar leads but Perry and Whitford were not up to that skill wise yet so Wagner and Hunter played the majority of the solo's on the album. The solo in Same Old Song And Dance is a prime example of this.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 6:32 am

powermacho wrote:
I have to say that AEROSMITH has been since the 70's and every decade they have updated their formula. I feel they have succeeded every time they have changed their formula. But their best work is from the 70's

I Completely Agree with this post
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 8:06 am

This is from an old Dick Wagner interview which clears up what he did and didn't play on 'Get Your Wings' :

D: Well, he's a good player, but Bob used to call me or Steve in for different projects. Usually depending on who was closest to where the sessions were going on. We would play, I don't know why, exactly. It's not that these bands couldn't play. Like Aerosmith: We did the "Get Your Wings" album, with "Train Kept A Rollin'." All those basic guitar tracks are Joe Perry and Brad Whitford, but when it came to the solos, it was Hunter and me. You know - Bob liked the way we played...

G: Interesting. I didn't know Ezrin did the "Get Your Wings" album.

D: Well, Jack Douglas produced it, but he was kind-of working for Bob. Bob was like, the big guy on all these.

G: Right. Douglas had been involved with most of the Alice Cooper albums.

D: Bob was overseeing all that stuff, you know, so he had Jack Douglas call us up. Bob was instrumental in an awful lot of stuff that I did.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 9:40 am

manny wrote:
This is from an old Dick Wagner interview which clears up what he did and didn't play on 'Get Your Wings' :

D: Well, he's a good player, but Bob used to call me or Steve in for different projects. Usually depending on who was closest to where the sessions were going on. We would play, I don't know why, exactly. It's not that these bands couldn't play. Like Aerosmith: We did the "Get Your Wings" album, with "Train Kept A Rollin'." All those basic guitar tracks are Joe Perry and Brad Whitford, but when it came to the solos, it was Hunter and me. You know - Bob liked the way we played...

This is interesting as I've never heard about any of this before. The interview is still a little unclear, did they just play the solos on Train or the entire album? (you can take that quote either way)
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 9:56 am

From another interview it seems to be they play the solos in 'Train Kept a Rollin', and that may have been it.

ML: Let’s talk about your career – one of your first ‘ghostings’ was on Aerosmith’s Get Your Wings album and the song ‘Train Kept A Rollin’’.

DW: “That’s correct, but it’s not really common knowledge.”

ML: Aerosmith never talk about it...

DW: “They never talk about it, but they acknowledge it when I’m around.”
ML: How does a guitarist come in and replace Joe Perry?

DW: “I was living in New York. Bob Ezrin and Jack Douglas needed some guitar playing, so they called me up and I went down to the studio and played. It’s real simple. Joe Perry wasn’t there neither was Steven Tyler although I had met them and knew them from before, in Boston, when I was living there. It’s not like I was a total stranger. They just needed somebody to play certain parts and I was there... and so was Steve Hunter. We both did that for them.”

ML: Could Joe not play the parts or was he not ‘available’?

DW: “I don’t know, but I’ll have to assume that he wasn’t available for whatever reason. I’m not saying that I actually think he could play the stuff we actually played, at least, not at that time. Steve and I had a lot more experience and had been playing a lot longer and at a higher level than what they were doing right then.”

ML: It’s become a signature riff – does it bother you that you didn’t get credit?

DW: “No, not really. There’s a shadow of bad feeling there, but not really. Each thing you do propels you forward in your career, so it didn’t hurt me. It would have been nice to have been given credit, but in the grand scale of the music business what does it really matter? Lots of musicians have ghosted for things and never gotten credit and that’s just the way it is.”
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 9:59 am

Thanks for clearing that up.

Now I'd like to see the full list of every guest musician that has played on a Kiss record.

lol!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 10:05 am

Quote :
Lots of musicians have ghosted for things and never gotten credit and that’s just the way it is.

It saddens me a little to hear this about one of my favorite bands and favorite guitarists, but it does make you wonder just how much music isn't recorded by the actual band members on albums.

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 10:19 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
Lots of musicians have ghosted for things and never gotten credit and that’s just the way it is.

It saddens me a little to hear this about one of my favorite bands and favorite guitarists, but it does make you wonder just how much music isn't recorded by the actual band members on albums.

When you get right down to it, it's the producer's decision. I was reading about the making of The Eternal Idol recently and how 2 weeks into the album the producer fired Dave "The Beast" Spitz and hired Bob Daisley to come in and lay down the bass tracks. When it comes to the actual making of an album, the producer is king.

When Kix was in the studio making Blow My Fuse, one day Ronnie Younkins showed up to record some guitar parts and the studio was locked...he was denied access by the producer and there was a session player in there tracking solos.

While this may seem extreme, it's not uncommon with bands that have substance abuse issues (Kix) or have members that really can't play their instruments very well (Poison). The Producer has to get the recording made on time and on budget, if the band is unable to make that work...then sometimes hired guns are brought in.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 10:24 am

Thankfully on most of bands we have listened to it doesnot happen to often with the expection of KISS who started doing that alot from 'Destroyer' on ward on ULT's website where he reviews his KISS CD collection if click the picture of the album cover he tells you who really played on certain songs, also Alice Cooper band the last few albums that is Dick Wagner not Glenn Buxton.

The few times it has been done by other bands they do credit who plays on it for example in Queen's "Inneundo" that is Steve Howe doing the flamengo solo and he is credited and the solo on "Headless Cross" is Brian May who is also credited.

Jimmy Page plays rythm guitar (on uncredited) on The Who's 'I Can't Explain" and The Kinks 'All Day and All the Night'.

On alot of those hair metal albums from bands such as KIX, Cinderella, Warrant and Bon Jovi they have uncredited session musicians playing guitars (KIX and Warrant), drums (Cinderella) or bass (Bon Jovi).
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 10:31 am

Quote :
While this may seem extreme, it's not uncommon with bands that have substance abuse issues (Kix) or have members that really can't play their instruments very well (Poison). The Producer has to get the recording made on time and on budget, if the band is unable to make that work...then sometimes hired guns are brought in.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I totally get why it's done. But depending on the artist, it's like pulling back the curtin on the Great Wizard of Oz and seeing the little old man. It ruins the illusion.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 10:40 am

I feel the same way that Metalguy does, I remember when I discovered years later that some of my favorite Ace Frehley guitar solos where actually performed by Dick Wagner I was very bummed out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next