Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?

Go down 
+26
DallasBlack
vanillaviking
nevermore
James B.
exact33
the sentinel
stepcousin
Schbopo
XYZ
Wargod
Addy
iamrockerfun
akeldama
Metal Misfit
DeathCult
Sabbath In Solitude
skullsmasher
Troublezone
MetalGuy71
MetalRob331
chucksteak
Rex
manny
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
Gilbert
30 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? Empty
PostSubject: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 9:16 am

Sorry guys, i know it might sound weird to you, but aerosmith is a band i could never appreciate. Anybody else on this board shares my feeling?

They never sounded anywhere near heavy to me...
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 9:21 am

How much Aerosmith have you actually heard?

I've found that most rock/metal fans who "hate" Aerosmith are only familiar with a handful of songs, and it's usually the hits or ballads.

"Rocks" was one of the heaviest albums to come out in '76.

Forget
"Dude Looks Like a Lady" and "Love in an Elevator" and give "Rats in
the Cellar", "Nobody's Fault", "Get the Lead Out", "No Surprise",
"Kings and Queens", "Seasons of Wither", etc. a try.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 9:21 am

Love their 70s stuff, don't mind the '80s stuff. Can do without everything after the PUMP album however.

Quote :

Forget

What he said! ROCKS is a top 20 of all time for me. 🤘

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 9:22 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Love their 70s stuff, don't mind the '80s stuff. Can do without everything after the PUMP album however.

Why is that? Overplayed? Have you heard "Honkin' on Bobo"? "Nine Lives"?

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 9:24 am

ultmetal wrote:

Why is that? Overplayed? Have you heard "Honkin' on Bobo"? "Nine Lives"?

I thought GET A GRIP stunk, didn't care for NINE LIVES either and wasn't impressed with what I heard from JUST PUSH PLAY, so it was probably more of a "Three strikes, yer out!" from me.

You've recommended BOBO to me in previous Aerosmith threads but I've never checked it out. If I ever come across it in a used bin, I'd probably give it a shot tho.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 9:28 am

ultmetal wrote:
How much Aerosmith have you actually heard?

I've found that most rock/metal fans who "hate" Aerosmith are only familiar with a handful of songs, and it's usually the hits or ballads.

Forget

Thanks for the advise. I'll hunt this album down and give it a spin Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? 56834
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 9:35 am

While you're looking for ROCKS, pick up TOYS IN THE ATTIC too.

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 9:43 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
While you're looking for ROCKS, pick up TOYS IN THE ATTIC too.

...and GET YOUR WINGS, DRAW THE LINE and NIGHT IN THE RUTS... Very Happy

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 9:50 am

...what the hell, go right up thru ROCK IN A HARD PLACE.

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 9:58 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

Sounds good to me! Jailbait, Lightning Strikes, Jig Is Up, Rock in a Hard Place (Cheshire Cat)...

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 10:01 am

ultmetal wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Sounds good to me! Jailbait, Lightning Strikes, Jig Is Up, Rock in a Hard Place (Cheshire Cat)...

Hell yea, "Lightning Strikes" = 🤘

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 10:04 am

Gilbert listen to this guys, 'Rocks' is one of the greatest metal albums of all time, hell it is so good that Testament did a cover of 'Nobody's Fault" a great great band who just about every aquanet ozone killing abusing band in the coke snorting 80's tried to steal their sound and look but as the great Otis Redding once said 'It Don't Mean a Thing If it aint Got Soul"
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 10:18 am

I've never cared much for them or ACDC.
Back to top Go down
chucksteak
Metal student
Metal student
chucksteak

Number of posts : 133

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 10:39 am

I think they were great from 73-79 and haven't been anything near that since. The last album I heard from them was Pump. They just got way to sickly sweet for me.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 10:48 am

chucksteak wrote:
I think they were great from 73-79 and haven't been anything near that since. The last album I heard from them was Pump. They just got way to sickly sweet for me.

'79? So you don't like Rock in a Hard Place? Done With Mirrors? Do yourself a favor and check out Honkin' on Bobo. Nobody gave it a chance, but it's a great album with a definite 70's vibe.

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 11:05 am

I've always loved Aerosmith, their 70's & early 80's work is pretty much a textbook lesson on what American Hard Rock sounds like. All the albums from the debut through Done With Mirrors are classic.

However, once they started getting "slick" in the late 80's I began to lose interest...then when they turned into a power ballad factory for Hollywood I really kind of gave up.

I used to own all of their releases on vinyl up through Done With Mirrors, but I've never replaced them on CD. (my vinyl collection was stolen in the 90's) I'm sure I'll re-purchase their earlier albums eventually.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 11:29 am

I never understood why people thought Aerosmith became a ballad band after Done With Mirrors. They had ballads and blues based songs on each and every album right from the very first album. Dream On is one of their biggest hits. Home Tonight, Seasons of Wither, You See Me Crying, Kings & Queens, Remember (Walking in the Sand)...all ballads from the 70's.

People also criticize them for their bluesy numbers like "Cryin'", which was a huge hit, but is it really that different from those blues based ballads already listed?

In contrast, albums like Get a Grip, Nine Lives, etc. had plenty of hard rocking songs. Those songs just didn't happen to be the hits.

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 11:46 am

Aerosmith always had the potential to me but something about there style really turned me off. I like a few Aerosmith songs. My dad had all there music on tape and I used to listen frequently but something was just missing. Maybe it was Perry's tone or Tylers vocals which I am not a big fan of. I do like a few select songs but overall a band I pass on.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 11:47 am

Big fan here. From the 70's to the present, although I do prefer the 70's/80's stuff. Seen 'em live multiple times too and never been dissappointed, although in all fairness, I've only seen them in their clean & sober phase. Had I'd seen them back in the 70's when Steven could barely stand, I might have a different opinion. I've heard some bootlegs where he screws up lyrics and slurs through the songs. Honkin' on Bobo was a nice return to form, even if it's a mostly covers album. I'd like to see them lose some of the "slickness" and stop worrying about radio hits, but either way, it's all good to my ears.

Sorry to disappoint ya there, Gilbert.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 12:03 pm

70's Aerosmith is great.
Back to top Go down
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 12:07 pm

I love everything this band has done up to "pump", after that it has been kind of a been there done that vibe about them. I still like what they are doing but the energy level has kind of diminished which is to be expected, they are not kids anymore. But I am still a huge fan of this band and always will be their first five or six albums hold up with anything anyone has ever done in my opinion.

Honkin' on Bobo is a great album from their newer stuff. I sure don't know how anyone could not like them but different strokes for different folks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 12:12 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I never understood why people thought Aerosmith became a ballad band after Done With Mirrors. They had ballads and blues based songs on each and every album right from the very first album.

The difference being their earlier ballads didn't suck.
Back to top Go down
Sabbath In Solitude
Metal novice
Metal novice
Sabbath In Solitude

Number of posts : 79

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 12:31 pm

Good times,some of the older stuff was good,I could still listen to the original red letter greatest hits and Rock in a Hard Place, and some of the other stuff mentioned,they were some the original bad rock n rollers that became a pop rock hit making machine,just my opinion btw. Kings and Queens was one my favorites,they were "heavy" for their time.Taking into account what was said before,yeah,honestly,I think I just lost interest,life became more serious and for me I just needed more mentally interesting lyrics (doom,reality,fantasy,introspective prog) and more intense music.......
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sabbsteve aka The Planet Doom
chucksteak
Metal student
Metal student
chucksteak

Number of posts : 133

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 1:08 pm

ultmetal wrote:
chucksteak wrote:

'79? So you don't like Rock in a Hard Place? Done With Mirrors? Do yourself a favor and check out Honkin' on Bobo. Nobody gave it a chance, but it's a great album with a definite 70's vibe.

I can't really remember what was on those two. I had them both on vinyl many years ago but like nearly every other record I had I sold them back in the early/mid 90s. Stupid I know. angry Actually I remember a couple of songs I really liked on Rock but can't remember anything from Mirrors. I haven't heard either one in a good 15 years so I'm going from memory. I probably would like them more today than then when it had to be the heaviest stuff or nothing.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 1:08 pm

I like certain albums and certain songs, but not enough to get their whole catalogue. They just never clicked into the big picture for me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?   Anybody else who hates Aerosmith? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anybody else who hates Aerosmith?
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next