Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs?

Go down 
+12
Temple of Blood
MetalGuy71
chucksteak
tohostudios
Thrasher73
Fat Freddy
INVADERS
Troublezone
Sabbath In Solitude
mc666
MetalRob331
Gilbert
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9890

Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs? Empty
PostSubject: Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs?   Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 1:13 am

Sometimes, i find the tributes to be far more interesting then the original song: for example, i find primal fear's version of "die young" to be much more successful then dio's. I also think that cancer's version of "painkiller" is much more aggressive then the priest's original delivery...Has anyone listened to graveworm's version of "fear of the dark" or alexi leiho's screams on "aces high"??? WOW!!!

I guess it all depends on the talent of the band paying tribute...
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs?   Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 1:20 am

Yes some tributes are better, but we wouldn't have these songs if the original bands/artist didn't release them.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs?   Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 1:45 am

i like some covers better than the originals. not complete tribute albums though. at least none that i've purchased thus far. usually if i'm a fan of the band being payed tribute to, as would be the case in a tribute album purchase, i'm jaded. the original versions will always sound better. as is the case with any Judas Priest tribute.

however, cover songs... like Nevermores' cover of The Sound of Silence is far better than the original imho.

Sabbath In Solitude
Metal novice
Metal novice
Sabbath In Solitude

Number of posts : 79

PostSubject: Re: Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs?   Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 2:04 am

Want to make this clear,Hail the mighty Maiden,but that said,absolutely love New Edens version of "Phantom Of thE Opera",its a little faster,loses nothing in the translation so to speak IMO, and is just pure energy,true power metal.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sabbsteve aka The Planet Doom
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17077

PostSubject: Re: Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs?   Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 2:28 am

I think all of Ozzy's Tribute album is better than the originals.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs?   Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 2:32 am

Solitude Aeturnus's cover of "Hallowed Be Thy Name" absolutely destroys the Maiden version.
Back to top Go down
Sabbath In Solitude
Metal novice
Metal novice
Sabbath In Solitude

Number of posts : 79

PostSubject: Re: Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs?   Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 2:40 am

It is great,but if I start talking about Roberts vocal talent I won't shut up lol! ,so continuing on subject, Holy Mother's "Holy Diver" is so well executed that only real Dio fans or his family could tell the difference.......
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sabbsteve aka The Planet Doom
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

PostSubject: Re: Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs?   Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 6:27 am

- Judas priest: The Green Manalishi, Better by You, Better than Me
- Iron Maiden: Women in Uniform
- Megadeth: Paranoid
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37670

PostSubject: Re: Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs?   Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 8:33 am

I feel that Jag Panzer's cover of Sabbath's "Children of the Sea" gives the original a run for its money. That's one of the best cover songs I've ever heard.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs?   Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 8:35 am

Krokus - Stayed Awake All Night.

BTO's version sucks.

Quiet Riot - Cum On Feel The Noize and Mama Weer All Crazee Now

Slade = Yuck.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs?   Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 8:36 am

Eyesore wrote:
Solitude Aeturnus's cover of "Hallowed Be Thy Name" absolutely destroys the Maiden version.

Machine Head does a great cover of that as well
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs?   Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 8:39 am

Sonata Arctica's cover of "Still Loving You" totally blows away the boring, ballady Scorpions version.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs?   Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 8:41 am

thrasher73 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

I haven't heard Machine Head's studio version of "Hallowed" but they played it live when I saw them open for Metallica last weekend and it didn't impress me much. My friend and I looked @ each other about half way thru the song and said, "Well, at least they tried." Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs?   Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 8:49 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
thrasher73 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

I haven't heard Machine Head's studio version of "Hallowed" but they played it live when I saw them open for Metallica last weekend and it didn't impress me much. My friend and I looked @ each other about half way thru the song and said, "Well, at least they tried." Laughing

Yeah I saw the live version on Headbangers Ball last weekend.I thought it sounded great.You sir are just too picky Smile
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs?   Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 8:53 am

thrasher73 wrote:

Yeah I saw the live version on Headbangers Ball last weekend.I thought it sounded great.You sir are just too picky Smile

That is entirely possible. Laughing

Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs?   Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 9:15 am

Sonata Arctica - Wind Beneath My Wings
Therion - Seawinds
Volbeat - I only want to be with you

Also Volbeats song Sad Mans Tongue is a tribute to the Johnny Cash song Folsom Prison Blues

Last edited by MetalRob331 on Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

PostSubject: Re: Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs?   Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 9:17 am

Machine Head's cover of Hallowed Be Thy Name is awesome. Haven't heard it live yet.
I'll be seeing them in March with Metallica and The Sword. Hopefully, they'll play it then Smile
Back to top Go down
chucksteak
Metal student
Metal student
chucksteak

Number of posts : 133

PostSubject: Re: Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs?   Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 10:35 am

No I can't think of one single cover better than the original!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs?   Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 11:03 am

thrasher73 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Machine Head does a cover of it, that's true. Great? Well, that's certainly debatable. Very Happy

I love tribute and cover albums, but for the most part, if I'm familiar with the original, I usually like that better that the cover. Now stuff like Maiden's Women in Uniform, I've never heard the original so I've got nothing to compare it to. And at this point, since I'm so familiar with the Maiden version, if I heard the original, it would probably pale in comparission. Or in the case of Nevermore's version of The Sound of Silence, it's so radically different from the original (which if fine because it's AWESOME) it's like a totally different song to me.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs?   Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 11:22 am

Are we differentiating between "tribute" and "cover". Typically, tributes are more or less re-creations of the original whereas a cover is a "re-imagining" of the original.

If we include covers here, I defy anyone to say that the Judas Priest version of Diamonds And Rust isn't better than the Joan Baez original.

PostSubject: Re: Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs?   Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 11:33 am

INVADERS wrote:

- Megadeth: Paranoid

FAIL! Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs? 47715
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs?   Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 11:50 am

tohostudios wrote:
Are we differentiating between "tribute" and "cover". Typically, tributes are more or less re-creations of the original whereas a cover is a "re-imagining" of the original.

Good point.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs?   Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 12:07 pm

CANCER recorded "Painkiller"???? Don't you mean DEATH? That's not better than the original. The solos are far inferior, the drummer loses the timing on the intro, and the vocals are pitchy in the middle.

Covers that I think are superior to the originals:

STEEL PROPHET - The Apparition
SPIRAL ARCHITECT - Prelude to Ruin
FATES WARNING - Saints in Hell
FAITH FACTOR - American Metal
BLACK SYMPHONY - Deliverance
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs?   Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 12:22 pm

Solitude Aeturnus covering Ozzy's "No More Tears" is awesome.
Grave covering Alice In Chains' "Them Bones"
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs?   Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 12:22 pm

You guys thinking ANY band can do Iron Maiden songs better than the original need to lay off the crack pipes! lol!

PostSubject: Re: Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs?   Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tributes: sometimes better then the original songs?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next