Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cover songs that made the original artist famous

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Daybreaker
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 31

Cover songs that made the original artist famous Empty
PostSubject: Cover songs that made the original artist famous   Cover songs that made the original artist famous Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2008 11:33 am

The title may be confusing but here's the gist of it. What bands have become famous when a more famous band covers their material? I really really think that 90% of the interest from people in Diamond Head is because of Metallica, myself included. Also The Misfits. I think that they have been helped tremendously by Metallica's covers too, Cliff's proud endorsement of them, and maybe Guns N Roses cover of Attitude didnt hurt either.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cover songs that made the original artist famous   Cover songs that made the original artist famous Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2008 1:24 pm

Misfits have been popular for as long as I can remember. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Thorogood's cover of John Lee Hooker's One bourbon, one scotch, one beer.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12614

PostSubject: Re: Cover songs that made the original artist famous   Cover songs that made the original artist famous Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2008 1:32 pm

Tesla's cover of "Little Suzy" gave PHD some exposure
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Cover songs that made the original artist famous   Cover songs that made the original artist famous Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2008 1:33 pm

Schbopo wrote:
Misfits have been popular for as long as I can remember.
their popularity didn't take off until well after their demise

HellRaiser
Metal student
Metal student
HellRaiser

Number of posts : 242

PostSubject: Re: Cover songs that made the original artist famous   Cover songs that made the original artist famous Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2008 2:30 pm

In North America, it wasn't until Quiet Riot covered a pair of Slade tracks (Cum On Feel The Noize being the big one obviously), that Slade themselves were able to crack the pop charts. Even when the band tried to write an album to cater to then-contemporary trends (1976's 'Nobody's Fools' - which sounded a heck of a lot like the Eagles) Slade was never able to get an album in heavy rotation. Come 1984, after the Cum On Feel The Noize cover, Slade hits the top 40 twice with Run Runaway and My Oh My off 'The Amazing Kamakaze Syndrome' (in Europe - in NA the album was released as Keep Your Hands Off My Power Supply).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cover songs that made the original artist famous   Cover songs that made the original artist famous Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2008 8:13 am

Metallica - Diamond Head
Quiet Riot - Slade
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Cover songs that made the original artist famous   Cover songs that made the original artist famous Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2008 12:33 pm

James B. wrote:
Tesla's cover of "Little Suzy" gave PHD some exposure

Good one, James. Imho, Tesla made that song so much their own that I sometimes forget it is actually a cover. Peace.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cover songs that made the original artist famous   Cover songs that made the original artist famous Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cover songs that made the original artist famous
Page 1 of 1