Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC?

Go down 
+10
MetalGuy71
Mglaffas81
sam
A Handful of Wayne
mc666
Smindas
manny
Fat Freddy
Chairman_Smith
Gilbert
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage

Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC?   Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 10:21 am

Eyesore wrote:
rattpoison wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
We all know Ac/Dc isnt the most talented band on the earth....
That probably bugs me more than the original criticism of AC/DC........the way Malcolm Young holds down that rhythm guitar is one of the hardest jobs in rock n' roll, you need a bit to do what he does. Simplicity can be deceiving.
My homeboy da Vince once said, "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."

AMEN Brother!!!!
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC?   Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 10:28 am

rattpoison wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
We all know Ac/Dc isnt the most talented band on the earth....

That probably bugs me more than the original criticism of AC/DC........the way Malcolm Young holds down that rhythm guitar is one of the hardest jobs in rock n' roll, you need a bit to do what he does. Simplicity can be deceiving.

takes some serious pride swallowing to stand back and play while Angus takes the glory.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC?   Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 3:05 pm

AC/DC are much more talented then the crap that is selling today.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC?   Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 3:32 pm

Gilbert wrote:

Laughing very hard are you serious?

Ac/Dc plays good old rock n roll and there is nothing wrong with that. I will say it again they are not the most talented guys but they are good at what they do.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC?   Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 3:40 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
Gilbert wrote:

Laughing very hard are you serious?

Ac/Dc plays good old rock n roll and there is nothing wrong with that. I will say it again they are not the most talented guys but they are good at what they do.
Gilbert is an enigma wrapped in a WTF?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC?   Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 3:43 pm

Any idea how many bands I've seen over the years play covers of AC/DC songs? Guess how many got it right...NONE.

That's talent my friends.

I will state one more time that technical ability and talent are NOT the same thing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC?   Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 4:02 pm

detuned wrote:
Any idea how many bands I've seen over the years play covers of AC/DC songs? Guess how many got it right...NONE.

I will state one more time that technical ability and talent are NOT the same thing.
Nope. You could play the hell out of the guitar, but if you can't write a song...pffft! Who cares?
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC?   Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 4:24 pm

detuned wrote:

Yes but I'm sure those bands weren't trying to do an exact take on the song. Covers aren't ment to be played that way.
I like Ac/Dc but they are not a band I think of when using the word talent. The word that comes to mind is just ROCK! They are great at what they do and have been doing the same thing for a very long time and I think that is what that guys take on them ment.
Detuned talent is more or less someones natural abilities IMO, it has nothing to do with being technical.

Below is one of my favorite covers of an Ac/Dc song

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC?   Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 5:16 pm

AC/DC are very talented band, Angus Young is a great guitartist who is respected by guitartist all of types of genre, Malcolm Young is AC/DC's secret weapon and if it was easy to do why have there not been more successful AC/DC clones?

Angus Young's guitar playing has been pressed in print by Eddie Van Halen, Michael Schneker, Jimmy Page, and even Yngwie Malmsteen has praised this band and Angus's skills as a guitartist.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC?   Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 5:23 pm

Gilbert wrote:
This is what's killing metal music. R.I.P Heavy metal.........

If you think discussion is killing metal, then why the heck did you decide to join a forum based on liking metal.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC?   Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 6:14 pm

manny wrote:
AC/DC are very talented band, Angus Young is a great guitartist who is respected by guitartist all of types of genre, Malcolm Young is AC/DC's secret weapon and if it was easy to do why have there not been more successful AC/DC clones?

Angus Young's guitar playing has been pressed in print by Eddie Van Halen, Michael Schneker, Jimmy Page, and even Yngwie Malmsteen has praised this band and Angus's skills as a guitartist.

Angus is a great player for that style of music. As for the clones, I think there style of music is not ment to be played in this ERA of bands. Their aren't many successful straight up rock bands with that sound out there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC?   Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 6:24 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
I think there style of music is not ment to be played in this ERA of bands. Their aren't many successful straight up rock bands with that sound out there.

One of the reasons I dislike so much of what is called "rock" in this day and age.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC?   Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 8:53 pm

I don't know why AC/DC dos not scream talent to you MR331.......i think a true gauge of talent is executing and pioneering a unique vision and sound that's different to everybody else, like what AC/DC did.

That whole Young family oozes musical talent, not just Angus and Malcolm but their older brother George who was the driving force behind the Easybeats and an accomplished songwriter in his own right.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC?   Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 10:15 pm

They dont scream talent to me because of the repetition of the music. If you heard one Ac/Dc album you heard them all. I like Ac/Dc and this has nothing to do with them evolving and changing styles it has to do with them basically recycling there own songs to make new ones.

It works so I guess thats talent.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC?   Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 10:19 pm

I give up.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC?   Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 10:31 pm

detuned wrote:
I give up.

I dont dislike Ac/Dc I actually like a lot of there songs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC?   Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 10:59 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
They dont scream talent to me because of the repetition of the music. If you heard one Ac/Dc album you heard them all. I like Ac/Dc and this has nothing to do with them evolving and changing styles it has to do with them basically recycling there own songs to make new ones.

This is completely false. I got into AC/DC only last year. The reason is because I believed in the false notion that if you've heard one album you've heard them all. I am telling you, it's not true at all. Each album has it's own style. Tell me Flick of the Switch sounds like Fly on the Wall. It doesn't. Stiff Upper Lip doesn't sound like Black Ice. And so on.

And by sound I mean style. Each album is its own album. The mistake people make--it's the same one I made. There is a guitar tone that runs through every album. It's there on the earliest albums, it's there on Black Ice. But it's just a tone, a familiarity in sound. Their albums simply are not interchangeable. And anyone suggesting this is not listening. Just like I wasn't before last year.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC?   Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 11:06 pm

this thread is making me crazy! Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC? - Page 3 82702
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC?   Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 12:33 am

Eyesore wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:

This is completely false. I got into AC/DC only last year. The reason is because I believed in the false notion that if you've heard one album you've heard them all. I am telling you, it's not true at all. Each album has it's own style. Tell me Flick of the Switch sounds like Fly on the Wall. It doesn't. Stiff Upper Lip doesn't sound like Black Ice. And so on.

And by sound I mean style. Each album is its own album. The mistake people make--it's the same one I made. There is a guitar tone that runs through every album. It's there on the earliest albums, it's there on Black Ice. But it's just a tone, a familiarity in sound. Their albums simply are not interchangeable. And anyone suggesting this is not listening. Just like I wasn't before last year.

When I listen that is what I hear. Did I mention I own 10 Ac/Dc albums and I prefer Brian Johnson ERA? I LIKE Ac/Dc but they lack any type of versatility to me. If you cant hear another Ac/Dc song within a song then you are not listening close enough. This guy says it best.

"How long can a band get away with making the same
album? If the band happens to be AC/DC, the answer is, “33 years and
counting.”

With the release of “Black Ice” (Columbia) on Monday, their
first album in eight years and 15th studio release in a career that
stretches back to 1975, the quintet makes no attempt to alter anything
about its approach. It could be argued that AC/DC has not only made the
same album 15 times, but the same song."
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC?   Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 8:30 am

Th guy that you quoted is wrong and to top off a moron and he has not been listening, if he thinks he can do better than AC/DC or write better songs because they are simple are easy to write, I like you post him playing and writing on this thread and also would like to see his wall of platinum albums, I like to know if his career has survived the death of a close friend and if his band has managed to hold on to an international audience through changing trends .
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC?   Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 1:37 pm

Manny I agree with most of what he says except for making the same song over and over. My whole opinion on this subject is there are a lot of similarities with a lot of Ac/Dc songs. Same chord progressions just different lyrics. I'm not bashing Ac/Dc, I like them.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC?   Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 2:05 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Each album is its own album. The mistake people make--it's the same one I made. There is a guitar tone that runs through every album. It's there on the earliest albums, it's there on Black Ice. But it's just a tone, a familiarity in sound. Their albums simply are not interchangeable. And anyone suggesting this is not listening.

Exactly!

PostSubject: Re: Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC?   Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 2:19 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
Manny I agree with most of what he says except for making the same song over and over. My whole opinion on this subject is there are a lot of similarities with a lot of Ac/Dc songs. Same chord progressions just different lyrics. I'm not bashing Ac/Dc, I like them.
Every band uses the same chord progressions time and time again. It's the foundation of music. AC/DC are no different in that respect. Unlike most bands, however, nearly all their songs sound like they were recorded during the same recording sessions. Most bands have different tones and sounds per album. I still firmly believe this is why people insist AC/DC rip themselves off.

Like I said before; there are a few parts of songs that remind me of other AC/DC tunes, but I can find the same similarities in any band that has that many albums. There are no two AC/DC songs that sound the same.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC?   Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 2:25 pm

Quote :
Every band uses the same chord progressions time and time again. It's the foundation of music.

The roots of rock n roll have very similar chord progressions. That's where AC/DC pull from. Listen to a Little Richard or Jerry Lee Lewis comp. Those songs are almost all the same chord progression, different lyrics, but the songs are fresh and have an individual identity, IMO. Same with AC/DC.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC?   Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 3:22 pm

Metal Rob we will have to agree to disagree when comes to AC/DC, but both Eyesore and Spectrefate make very valid points concerning AC/DC's sound and not mention that both Young brothers, Brian Johnson and the late Bon Scott were all huge fans of Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Little Richard which Spec citied.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC?   Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath "takes on" AC/DC?
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next