Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Looks and Heavy Metal

Go down 
+28
DeathCult
SAHB Healer
7thSecond
stevegarveyfan
fingers
Smindas
DallasBlack
krokus
Schbopo
the sentinel
mc666
James B.
MetalRob331
GrandNational
SuprimuS
exact33
White_Mage
jstate
Wargod
Fat Freddy
Stender
manny
sam
ultmetal
Troublezone
Temple of Blood
Lurideath
Gilbert
32 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9885

Looks and Heavy Metal Empty
PostSubject: Looks and Heavy Metal   Looks and Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 3:36 pm

I would like to discuss this topic: is metal music supposed to affect my looks? I have short hair, many university degrees, wear a tie, and work at a high administrative level...But deep inside, i'm a hell of a metalhead. The cd box in my car is constantly filled with cds of testament, exciter, judas priest, helloween and grave digger. My collection is really amazing. However, when i speak of my passion, people look at me in a surprised manner. It's also the case when i'm abroad, shopping for metal music. It's like "i don't fit in the metal section". And it bothers me.
angry
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looks and Heavy Metal   Looks and Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 3:40 pm

We all can't look like Glenn Rogers or Scott Waters ( 🤘 ) as we get older. Some of us gain weight, lose hair, or simply don't like the typical "metal" look. What matters is what is inside your heart, and a passion of the music transcends any sort of "look" that you may have. Be yourself and be proud to be a metal music fan!
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3892

PostSubject: Re: Looks and Heavy Metal   Looks and Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 3:52 pm

Man, when you get older things change. You can't always have the look you wanted (although I think people should be able to dress and feel however they wanted) but like Spectre said before me... Some of us gain weight, lose hair, or simply don't like the typical "metal" look. I personally fall into the "lose hair" category. Maybe its different for a drummer these days, but you know.

I know people who wear suit and tie every day because of their jobs. Yet when the metal shows come around, they are always there in the front row! Its what's inside you! If your blood flows with metal, then who the hell cares what you look like!
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Looks and Heavy Metal   Looks and Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 3:57 pm

It has nothing at all to do with looks.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Looks and Heavy Metal   Looks and Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 3:57 pm

This reminds me of the song Join the Army by Suicidal Tendencies. 🤘

Don't be no fool, don't let your prejudice rule
Don't judge by your fear, judge us by your ear
Can't believe every word of every story you've heard
Just play the song, I know you'll start to rock along
Well I don't care 'bout the clothes you wear
It's the size of your heart, not the length of your hair
Don't make no difference to me, the color that you be
Black, white or brown, it's all the same to me
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Looks and Heavy Metal   Looks and Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 4:03 pm

Wear what you like. Listen to what you like. Who cares about fitting in with a crowd.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Looks and Heavy Metal   Looks and Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 4:16 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Wear what you like. Listen to what you like. Who cares about fitting in with a crowd.

this is one of the core truths of metal.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Looks and Heavy Metal   Looks and Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 4:22 pm

There was a time it was important like in the 70's and 80's. It was like a uniform to set you apart but now it's more about just being a genuine fan.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Looks and Heavy Metal   Looks and Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 4:32 pm

At the end of the day it is about the music you like not how long your hair is or what lastest coolest shirt you can buy off the rack at Hot Topic, the reason this music has been around for 41 years is because the fans stay loyal no matter how much weight they gain or how much hair they have lost or what they wear, if you like wearing a suit and tie and love Slayer good for you, it is about the music end of story.

Take look Eddie Trunk and rest of Metal Show panel, sure they maybe easy to pick on but the love of the music I believe is genuine and they certainly do not look like your sterotypical metal fans, as far as their studio audience, well they are supplied by VH1 casting agency
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Looks and Heavy Metal   Looks and Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 4:37 pm

Yeah, it dosnt matter. But for me, I like making myself look like what I'm into with long hair, the shirts and the denim. just so everyone else knows...I dont want to be ashamed of what I like.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: Looks and Heavy Metal   Looks and Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 4:49 pm

Back in the day, I had the long hair, the earrings, the black leather jacket, and I wore concert t-shirts and jeans 24-7. Twenty-plus years, a marriage, two kids, a pot belly and male pattern baldness later, most of those trappings have fallen by the wayside (I still rock an Iron Maiden t-shirt occasionally when I mow the lawn) but on the inside I'm still as metal as ever. 🤘

I can relate to what you're sayin' about your co-workers being surprised at your metal-ness, tho, Gilbert. I've been getting the same thing for years, i.e. "You don't look like a metalhead" or even worse, "You still listen to that crap at your age?" (hahaha)

It's not how you look on the outside that makes you metal. It's whether or not it's in your blood!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looks and Heavy Metal   Looks and Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 5:28 pm

Quote :
even worse, "You still listen to that crap at your age?" (hahaha)

That's the one that I hate.

I have short hair, pretty much stopped wearing band shirts (only occasionally) & stay home most of the time...I even listen to other stuff besides Metal, but I've still got the Metal deep in me...that's all that matters...with anyone. When people say "You don't look like a Metalhead..." that's only because they've bought into the stereotype (that Metal did create, I suppose)...no need to be offended...
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Looks and Heavy Metal   Looks and Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 6:15 pm

Ha ha had this topic at work last week with a new worker. He tried to tell me what metal was and of course he mentioned every band that is on radio so I mentioned what I listend to he had no clue what I was talking about.
I made him a comp cd with 15 bands on there he never heard of one of them but he did like it. He also mentioned that he didn't figure me for a metalhead.

so looks doesn't make you a metalhead always! I try to look it when I'm not working wearing the t-shirts!

Wargod49
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Looks and Heavy Metal   Looks and Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 6:21 pm

A lot of metalheads I meet today pretty much fall into the categories described above. Myself included. One time when a cashier expressed surprise that I was buying metal, I asked her what type of music she thought I'd be buying. She looked me over and said "..I don't know Dave Matthews or something. Isn't that what people your age are usually into." That hurt some. I blame it on the glasses.
Back to top Go down
White_Mage
Metal master
Metal master
White_Mage

Number of posts : 535

PostSubject: Re: Looks and Heavy Metal   Looks and Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 6:30 pm

When I started listening to metal I wanted to be the guy with the spikey bracelets and the cut off denim jacket loaded with patches who was always wearing his Slayer t-shirt

But then I realized there were already plenty of thoses guys,
needless to say my style isnt very metal anymore although I still have long hair and wear band shirts from time to time, I'd rather wear something that represents me not some old sterotype
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Looks and Heavy Metal   Looks and Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 6:30 pm

Gilbert wrote:
I would like to discuss this topic: is metal music supposed to affect my looks? I have short hair, many university degrees, wear a tie, and work at a high administrative level...But deep inside, i'm a hell of a metalhead. The cd box in my car is constantly filled with cds of testament, exciter, judas priest, helloween and grave digger. My collection is really amazing. However, when i speak of my passion, people look at me in a surprised manner. It's also the case when i'm abroad, shopping for metal music. It's like "i don't fit in the metal section". And it bothers me.

angry

i dont care what people think of the metal look (whatever that is) because I love the music and thats all that matters...

Alex

SuprimuS
Metal student
Metal student
SuprimuS

Number of posts : 147

PostSubject: Re: Looks and Heavy Metal   Looks and Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 6:32 pm

Wether you wear a tie or a Megadeth shirt, once your into it it gets deep in you. and there not really any getting it out. Once a metal fan always a metal fan. thats what sepperates us from those other punks that went through all the pop fads.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Looks and Heavy Metal   Looks and Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 6:35 pm

A lot of my friends are still surprised that I listen to metal because I don't fit the type, but it's only people's ignorance and their lack of understanding about what metal is and how one should look. Wear your suit and tie, keep your hair short and nicely combed, but rock on, who cares what others think or say, the Metal Essence is beyond looks.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Looks and Heavy Metal   Looks and Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 6:38 pm

To me its all about personal preference. If you feel comfortable dressing to look metal then so be it. If you decide not to dress the part then that makes you no less metal. I love metal it is my number one source for music but I look more like a casual guy. Jeans and a polo, but not the brand polo.

But for those that feel its necessary to dress metal to get the point that you listen to it is really trying to fit in IMO. This usually goes for teenagers just starting to get into metal.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12618

PostSubject: Re: Looks and Heavy Metal   Looks and Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 7:06 pm

Hey folks:

How bout with regards to playing an instument. I do alot of work with youth music ministry at various churches and get the "you don't look like you can play like that" response quite a bit.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Looks and Heavy Metal   Looks and Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 7:21 pm

James B. wrote:
Hey folks:

How bout with regards to playing an instument. I do alot of work with youth music ministry at various churches and get the "you don't look like you can play like that" response quite a bit.

I have never heard this before. People all around the world play instruments it takes time and practice. I think this is a lot different then the way you dress. As far as comments go I get a "WOW YOU ARE AMAZING" more then a "I didnt think you could play that"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looks and Heavy Metal   Looks and Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 7:25 pm

Quote :
As far as comments go I get a "WOW YOU ARE AMAZING" more then a "I didnt think you could play that"

This week's HoM vocab word is:

mod⋅est
–adjective
1. having
or showing a moderate or humble estimate of one's merits, importance,
etc.; free from vanity, egotism, boastfulness, or great pretensions.
2. free from ostentation or showy extravagance: a modest house.
3. having or showing regard for the decencies of behavior, speech, dress, etc.; decent: a modest neckline on a dress.
4. limited or moderate in amount, extent, etc.: a modest increase in salary.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Looks and Heavy Metal   Looks and Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 7:33 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Quote :
As far as comments go I get a "WOW YOU ARE AMAZING" more then a "I didnt think you could play that"

This week's HoM vocab word is:

mod⋅est
–adjective
1. having
or showing a moderate or humble estimate of one's merits, importance,
etc.; free from vanity, egotism, boastfulness, or great pretensions.
2. free from ostentation or showy extravagance: a modest house.
3. having or showing regard for the decencies of behavior, speech, dress, etc.; decent: a modest neckline on a dress.
4. limited or moderate in amount, extent, etc.: a modest increase in salary.

Laughing very hard would it of made a difference if i said "DUDE, YOU ARE AWESOME"? What i was getting at is with an instrument compliments come naturally if you put the time and effort in.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Looks and Heavy Metal   Looks and Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 7:39 pm

James B. wrote:
Hey folks:

I don't know what you like dude, but it maybe because you work with a youth ministry they might expect you to play music like Steven Curtis Chapman than say bone crushing heavy metal.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12618

PostSubject: Re: Looks and Heavy Metal   Looks and Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 7:42 pm

that is pretty funny

In regards to my statement of "you don't look like you can play like that" Well, they usually have just seen me play music in the contemporary praise / worship style. Afterwards, we break up into prayer groups or do some sort of workshop. This depends on age bracket. I play barefoot and usually wear a tie dye shirt or something to do with Harley's. I look like an old hippie or an old biker. I speak very polite and often use a vocabulary above common / normal usage to motivate questions by the youth. i.e getting them to ask what this word means usually gets a discussion rolling along.

So if /when a chance is received to jump on the kit again before splitting. I jam on stuff quite different than they had heard.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looks and Heavy Metal   Looks and Heavy Metal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Looks and Heavy Metal
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next