Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Any one else dig Wolfmother?

Go down 
+19
White_Mage
the sentinel
caniplaywithmadness?
rattpoison
fingers
TheGooch
SAHB Healer
Todd Jaymz
AchrisK
Wicked Rick
MetalGuy71
krokus
ultmetal
Fat Freddy
Smindas
mc666
spiritoradio
mr.electric39
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Any one else dig Wolfmother? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any one else dig Wolfmother?   Any one else dig Wolfmother? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2007 2:22 am

Eyesore wrote:
But I am weary, so I own nothing by them.

I can relate. I do really like this neo-retro boom that seems to be happening though, since I love hard rock as much as metal. I've picked up 8-10 pieces so far this year of various strains that might fit that description, and there's none of it that I really haven't liked.
But the thing is that I spent the last couple years collecting the original underground hard rock movement (from Roky Erickson to Frank Marino to Frigid Pink, everything I could get ahold of) to the point of addiction. It helped me get through the illness and death of a family member, I guess is my excuse. But the point is that I haven't really even gotten really familier with about half that vintage material; and sometimes it feels like work processing it through my ears. So I guess I'll bide my time and let the newer stuff come to me rather than seeking it out for now. If it's good and has staying power hopefully it will find it's way to me.
Wolfmother and Priestess appear to be marketed pretty heavily; maybe the sort of thing I can pick up retail on a whim.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any one else dig Wolfmother?   Any one else dig Wolfmother? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2007 4:33 pm

SAHB Healer wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
But I am weary, so I own nothing by them.
I can relate. I do really like this neo-retro boom that seems to be happening though, since I love hard rock as much as metal. I've picked up 8-10 pieces so far this year of various strains that might fit that description, and there's none of it that I really haven't liked.
But the thing is that I spent the last couple years collecting the original underground hard rock movement (from Roky Erickson to Frank Marino to Frigid Pink, everything I could get ahold of) to the point of addiction. It helped me get through the illness and death of a family member, I guess is my excuse. But the point is that I haven't really even gotten really familier with about half that vintage material; and sometimes it feels like work processing it through my ears. So I guess I'll bide my time and let the newer stuff come to me rather than seeking it out for now. If it's good and has staying power hopefully it will find it's way to me.
Over at metalreviews.com I had started a thread about this sort of style of music.

http://www.metalreviews.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4553

I updated it ocassionally for about a year, then quit when the forum turned into a chatroom for trendsters that fail to realize they're the TRL crowd for metal. But there's a lot of good bands in that thread, if you care to peruse it.

Quote :
Wolfmother and Priestess appear to be marketed pretty heavily; maybe the sort of thing I can pick up retail on a whim.
Yeah, they re-released the Priestess stuff in the US once this retro thing kicked off. The US cover, though, is very misleading.

The original Canadian release:

Any one else dig Wolfmother? - Page 2 61KC2Y9SJWL._SS500_

The US re-release:

Any one else dig Wolfmother? - Page 2 51EK0Q83AGL._SS500_

The original cover, I think, is far more appropriate. The re-release looks like it'd be a thrash album or something. Anyway, the re-release is easy to find.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Any one else dig Wolfmother?   Any one else dig Wolfmother? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2007 7:07 pm

a what is the "TRL" crowd? scratch
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Any one else dig Wolfmother?   Any one else dig Wolfmother? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2007 8:13 pm

Eyesore wrote:
mr.electric39 wrote:
Never heard the Sword.... sound like???
They've got that Sabbath sound with a little doom, but they've got some serious uptempo metal jams. They're young, so the elitists talk trash about them a lot. They're awesome, though. Check these out:

IRON SWAN (Demo)
FREYA
THE SWORD - EBETHRON
THE SWORD - BARAEL'S BLADE
WINTER WOLVES (Video)

More here: [url=http://www.myspace.com/thesword
http://www.myspace.com/thesword[/quote[/url]]

They do sound like Sabbath... reminded me of Trouble who sound like Sabbath...... a tangled web....

I liked it.....🤘 🤘 🤘
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Any one else dig Wolfmother?   Any one else dig Wolfmother? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2007 9:18 pm

SAHB Healer wrote:
a what is the "TRL" crowd? scratch

Total Request Live aka MTV sheep
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Any one else dig Wolfmother?   Any one else dig Wolfmother? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2007 10:45 pm

I understand. My King James translates that verse as "Flavor of the Month Club". TRL must be the Revised Standard translation Smile
Back to top Go down
Todd Jaymz
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Todd Jaymz

Number of posts : 324

PostSubject: Re: Any one else dig Wolfmother?   Any one else dig Wolfmother? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 11:38 pm

Maybe we should start a new thread titled Retro Rock, if anyone is interested in this genre there is alot out there! Kyuss and the list goes on-TJ
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Any one else dig Wolfmother?   Any one else dig Wolfmother? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2007 7:09 pm

Sho'nuff. I found a copy at Wal-Mart for under ten bucks, so I tried them out. Sounded to me like a commercialization of the old Kyuss sound, or a cross between Kyuss and some of the heavier material by The Darkness. I guess that arrives somewhere near Queens of the Stone Age, but not exactly. I played it three times, and I'm with most others here. Nothing stuck in my head after three plays, but I didn't hate it either, so kinda lukewarm I guess. It was good enough to go into the rotation though (not on the shelf); so it'll get more chances. I feel the same way about the Fu-Manchu CD's that I own. The Sword is better IMO.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Any one else dig Wolfmother?   Any one else dig Wolfmother? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2007 6:04 am

there ok but just bore me slighly and come on no one can denie they are screwing the life out of the ac/dc/ zeppelin template
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Any one else dig Wolfmother?   Any one else dig Wolfmother? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2007 7:59 pm

Due in part to this topic, I decided to pick up their debut album about a week ago instead of continuing to live off the few MP3s of theirs I had. I like it quite a bit, it's very infectious. However, after a week, it is starting to get a little boring so I guess longetivity isn't it's strong point. Still a decent CD indeed. Tracks like White Unicorn, Joker & The Theif and Tales are awesome.

PostSubject: Re: Any one else dig Wolfmother?   Any one else dig Wolfmother? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2007 8:08 pm

Quote :
I think Wolfmother would be better without the whiny vocalist. I think I could dig them, though, given a chance. But I am weary, so I own nothing by them.

The best neo-retro (is that possible?) band I've heard is Priestess. Have you heard them?

Wolfmother kinda reminds me of Led Zeppelin. The vocalist sounds like Robert Plant and the guitar sound is like Jimmy Page's

Priestess is awesome! "Talk to Her" is my favorite Priestess song.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any one else dig Wolfmother?   Any one else dig Wolfmother? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2007 9:35 pm

Yeah, I cannot recommend Priestess enough. Definitely one of the best newer bands I've heard.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Any one else dig Wolfmother?   Any one else dig Wolfmother? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2007 12:59 am

o.k., I'll bite on Priestess too. I noticed it can be had really cheap, (several for under 2.00 on Amazon); so I'll get it in the next week and give an opinion. The samples do sound pretty good.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any one else dig Wolfmother?   Any one else dig Wolfmother? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2007 3:05 am

You should dig it. If you like the samples, you'll dig the album.
Back to top Go down
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

PostSubject: Re: Any one else dig Wolfmother?   Any one else dig Wolfmother? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2007 3:45 am

they suck!!! I think its completely sad they use amplifiers that were used 30 years ago and try sound like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, etc. I also think the singer from Wolfmother is a Robert Plant tryhard. I understand that they probably prefer music in the 70's than now but they should of been influence by other kinds of music besides 70's music. I agree what Mike Patton said about them
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Any one else dig Wolfmother?   Any one else dig Wolfmother? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2007 9:52 am

Fingers i think they are influenced by other music other than Zeppelin and Sabbath, in a way they channel those two bands through bands like Soundgarden and the White Stripes bands that they grew up with. And i don't think Andrew Stockdale is a Robert Plant try hard, he reminds me more of Ozzy Osbourne crossed with Jack White. And so what if someone sounds like Robert Plant, it hasn't stopped us from liking singers such as David Coverdale, Ray Gillen etc. As for Mike Patton he's probably jealous, he hasn't done anything relevent for 15 years. He seems to have more project bands going then anyone and none have been great even Fantomas which looked good on paper with Dave Lombardo and Buzz Osbourne really was a let down.
Back to top Go down
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

PostSubject: Re: Any one else dig Wolfmother?   Any one else dig Wolfmother? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2007 10:15 am

He has done some weired and cool songs with Mr Bungle but I do agree his other latest stuff is dull and unmemorable
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Any one else dig Wolfmother?   Any one else dig Wolfmother? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2007 5:46 pm

Ok, I listened to Priestess. I'd put them right dead center of the "Neo-hard rock" movement. Much better than Wolfmother. My faves so far...

1. We're All Gonna Die
2. Fireball Ministry
3. Priestess
4. The Sword
5. Brand New Sin

I think Priestess could move ahead of FBM in my world, as I'm finding FBM is instant gratification, bands like that don't always have staying power with me. Priestess might end up having more depth to my ears eventually. The Priestess vocals remind me of an old Space/Doom band "The God Machine"; or maybe a little like I Mother Earth or Perry Ferrell.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any one else dig Wolfmother?   Any one else dig Wolfmother? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2007 5:51 pm

You put Brand New Sin in that group? To me, they're just an old school rock band, rowdy bar room style. But I guess if you're just going under the hard rock banner they fit. I'd put Fireball Ministry, Priestess, and The Sword in more of the stoner rock area, but then again, The Sword has a lot of doomy moments.

So yeah, hard rock works, I guess. Haha. And the Priestess CD is outstanding. I still listen to it all the time, and I've had it since it was originally released. I love it. I've never heard of We're All Gonna Die, but I'll check them out.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

PostSubject: Re: Any one else dig Wolfmother?   Any one else dig Wolfmother? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2007 6:00 pm

fingers wrote:
they suck!!! I think its completely sad they use amplifiers that were used 30 years ago and try sound like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, etc. I also think the singer from Wolfmother is a Robert Plant tryhard. I understand that they probably prefer music in the 70's than now but they should of been influence by other kinds of music besides 70's music. I agree what Mike Patton said about them

Dude it's just music.... relax and take a deep breath....

Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any one else dig Wolfmother?   Any one else dig Wolfmother? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2007 6:56 pm

mr.electric39 wrote:
fingers wrote:

Smile
Just be glad the whole forum's not like that. happy
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Any one else dig Wolfmother?   Any one else dig Wolfmother? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2007 7:56 pm

Eyesore wrote:
You put Brand New Sin in that group?

I didn't mean to suggest that all those bands sound alike. I just mean the retro thing in general.
Back to top Go down
caniplaywithmadness?
Metal master
Metal master
caniplaywithmadness?

Number of posts : 515

PostSubject: Re: Any one else dig Wolfmother?   Any one else dig Wolfmother? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 12:08 pm

wolfmother are great. i saw them at download festival the other day. great show
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

PostSubject: Re: Any one else dig Wolfmother?   Any one else dig Wolfmother? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 10:24 pm

Eyesore wrote:
mr.electric39 wrote:
fingers wrote:

Smile
Just be glad the whole forum's not like that. happy

No Doubt !!! just the seasoning of life eh???
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Any one else dig Wolfmother?   Any one else dig Wolfmother? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 2:58 pm

I received a copy of this in the mail yesterday. Listened to it today. EHHHH, it's ok. Sort of modern rock with some "classic rock" influences. I'm probably gonna trade it off.

ult

PostSubject: Re: Any one else dig Wolfmother?   Any one else dig Wolfmother? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any one else dig Wolfmother?
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next