Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What do your parents think of metal?

Go down 
+43
White_Mage
stevegarveyfan
Shiney
tohostudios
Stender
IHATEGENRES
ThrashedOutCobra33
Orion Crystal Ice
KissinMaiden
Chairman_Smith
Tall Tyrion
krokus
7thSecond
nevermore
Vordul
Troublezone
DallasBlack
T-Roy
scottmitchell74
jstate
Damien Solta
candlemass
the sentinel
TheGooch
Sword Of The Heretic
juanmiguel
Thrasher73
thejokeriv
MetalGuy71
SAHB Healer
iamrockerfun
AchrisK
stepcousin
spiritoradio
Fat Freddy
Jedilink
GrandNational
Smindas
ultmetal
SideShowDisaSter
mc666
Required Fields
47 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

What do your parents think of metal? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 1:07 pm

My dad cares niether one way or the other. I have played him som metal in the past and he actually had some kind words for it (for instance I played the EP Black Winter Day from Amoprhis and he said the despite the vocals the music was really good). My mom and my sister probably wish I'd listen to country music (they always tell me I should keep my hair short and face clean shaven). I remember back in '93 my mom's husband, Larry said that I was just going through a phase (pretty long phase huh?) and was always trying to convince me that if I listened to country (young country not real country, this was the early 90's after all) that I could attract hot chicks. As if the reason why I listened to metal was because I was trying to impress people. Most of the adults in my life at the time (my sister not included because she is only 3 years older than me) didn't understand that I had/have a passion for heavy music that will never die (I plan on being in an old folks home listening to my metal). These days they may not like it, but they have to live with it.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 2:36 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
(I plan on being in an old folks home listening to my metal).
We'll be roommates’ brother!🤘What do your parents think of metal? - Page 3 543534
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 4:25 pm

My dad was into The Stones, Cat Stevens, Bob Dylan and The Beatles and my Mom only liked soft rock like Chicago, Richard Marx etc...
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 5:09 pm

My father is 62 and likes Big Band, Classical, Classic Rock (60s & 70s), Oldies (50s), old country (he hates young country), and singers like Sanatra, Dean, Mel Torme, etc. Two of his favorite classic rock bands are Chicago and Earth, Wind, and Fire. And like I said before, he is indifferent to metal and even when I was starting out he didn't care what I liked (although he did forbid me from listening to satanic, suicidal, and perverse music plus ANYTHING with a parental advisory on it).

My mother doesn't like it but she also doesn't care what I listen to. She's in her mid 50s and listens mostly to young coutry (which I hate). She used to listen to pop rock back in the 80s which is where my love for 80s pop rock comes from but when young country came about she stopped listening to it which is partly why I can't stand young country. However, three of her favorite artists are also three of my favorite non-metal bands: The Moody Blues, Billy Joel, and John Denver. Her husband, like her, listens to young country sick .
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Vordul
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Vordul

Number of posts : 322

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2007 9:52 pm

My mum hates it but i did get my sister into my dying bride lmao
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 8:07 am

my parents quite like it in a casual way they ask what i am listening too usually and they both know who CYnic are as i have asked for that album for chritsmas twice now with no luck

of course my dad has seen metallica twice and iron maiden once so he has some credentials
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 8:14 am

DallasBlack wrote:
My dad cares niether one way or the other. I have played him som metal in the past and he actually had some kind words for it (for instance I played the EP Black Winter Day from Amoprhis and he said the despite the vocals the music was really good). My mom and my sister probably wish I'd listen to country music (they always tell me I should keep my hair short and face clean shaven). I remember back in '93 my mom's husband, Larry said that I was just going through a phase (pretty long phase huh?) and was always trying to convince me that if I listened to country (young country not real country, this was the early 90's after all) that I could attract hot chicks. As if the reason why I listened to metal was because I was trying to impress people. Most of the adults in my life at the time (my sister not included because she is only 3 years older than me) didn't understand that I had/have a passion for heavy music that will never die (I plan on being in an old folks home listening to my metal). These days they may not like it, but they have to live with it.

i always wonder what old age metal fans will do at retiremtn age? ya could deafen all the old grannies with some grindcore or something lol!
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 5:34 pm

My mom doesn't like metal at all. My dad is indifferent about it. However, I have to admit that my folks both thought it was a phase I'd grow out of as I got older.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 6:14 pm

Quote :
I have to admit that my folks both thought it was a phase I'd grow out of as I got older.

Yeah!! LOL! My parents, too! Seems I'm deeper into it than ever. Whilst I once had broader tastes my tastes now seem to be narrowing to 95% metal...... 🤘
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2007 1:00 pm

My parents were the typical type that thought I'd grow out of it soon enough. Didn't happen. They've never liked it. My real problem is my wife though. She doesn't like it to the point where we are now seriously talking divorce. I know it sounds crazy but it's true. She says she can't take the long hair, band t-shirts or music anymore. All I ever hear is I thought you'd outgrow it by now when I ask her why she even married me 11 years ago as I was the same way back then. I think what really bothers her though is that when she gives me the change or else ultimatum I tell her it ain't gonna happen. Guess I'll have to try and find a metal version of one of those stickers like that fishing one I've seen before that reads My wife says if I go fishing one more time, she's gonna leave me. Gosh I will miss her.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2007 2:31 pm

That is really ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2007 3:23 pm

Required Fields wrote:
That is really ridiculous.
I know. Be really careful who you marry if you choose to is about all I can say. Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2007 3:28 pm

So much for better or for worse, huh? Smile That royally sucks, but she can't honestly expect someone to change their identity for the little shaky shaky of the rump?! Ain't gonna happen.
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2007 3:41 pm

spectrefate wrote:
but she can't honestly expect someone to change their identity for the little shaky shaky of the rump?!
Dude uhh... that hasn't happened in quite a while either. Here is the look she so much despises. Maybe not God's gift to women but she liked me at one time. What do your parents think of metal? - Page 3 PimpinHat
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2007 3:47 pm

To the original poster. I'm sorry for hijacking your thread. I just needed a place to vent as this hasn't been real easy and I hope that maybe some of our younger posters can at least learn from my situation. Most of my non-internet friends pretty much side with her on this issue as they aren't exactly metalheads. Kind of hard to find metalheads my age around here. Most have moved on to country including near about all of my long time friends that once loved metal as much as me, or so I thought anyway.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2007 3:53 pm

Quote :
long hair, band t-shirts or music

Quite a horrible list of offenses there!! If that's the worst thing you're accused of you're wife doesn't realize how good she's got it! Not knowing the whole story - or if you even want things to improve - but I hope you guys can resolve your issues. An unhappy marriage has got to be the pits big time...
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2007 3:55 pm

That sucks 7th.Hopefully everything will work out with you and your wife.As for your friends,well they were never real metalheads anyway.
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2007 4:11 pm

thrasher73 wrote:
As for your friends,well they were never real metalheads anyway.
You know as bad as it might sound that almost bothers me as much as the whole wife thing. Some of you can probably relate. You go through all of school as best friends with a group of metalhead guys then you get out of highschool and rent a place together for a few years. Then one by one you start getting married and stuff. Next thing you know it's been a few years since you've talked to most of them. You meet up with some of them and find that they are so different now. No metal or much of anything else in common anymore. They look and talk about you like you're a freak for not changing with them as they fix their Polo collar and tuck their shirt into their kaki's. Man it's so strange. I mean these guy's were so metal at one time. Sad
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2007 2:13 pm

Sad story 7thsecond, the story about your wife but also your friends that changed so much, just increible. Your wife should understand if those t-shirts, cd´s, concerts, metal pubs etc...make you happy, that with your happiness you can make her happy but if you are not happy, how can you make her happy??? Its just not possible. GOOD LUCK BROTHER. Vent on this forum when ever you need to do it.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2007 2:23 pm

Sorry to hear you are going through a rough time with your marriage, 7th. I have no advise, but I will pray that you are able to work things out.

One thing, though. If you change who you really are to please her, you will just end up being miserable and resent her for it. Not a recipie for marital bliss, either.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2007 11:23 am

Jeepers 7th that's a nasty situation you're in. I always thought that love was more important than your partner's taste in music or whatsoever.... I really question myself why some people tend to think 'metal' is just a phase? Is rap a phase? Ska perhaps? Country? People choose their own path in life... how they walk it is up to them.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2007 12:04 pm

My mom listens to Van Halen, Sammy Hagar, Alice Cooper, ect

My dad listens to Black Sabbath, Ozzy, Van Halen, Jimi Hendrix, Aerosmith, Rush, ect ect.

I stole all that and added the 80s.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2007 12:16 pm

Not much, I may have said this before, but my dad refers to it as "hard steel".
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
KissinMaiden
Metal master
Metal master
KissinMaiden

Number of posts : 688

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2007 12:33 pm

They think it's noise, they like latino music... can't blame them two very different kinds of music.
Back to top Go down
Jedilink
Metal student
Metal student
Jedilink

Number of posts : 136

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2007 2:33 am

My dad plays guitar for Billy Ray Cyrus so his musical tastes vary widely. He likes all kinds of stuff. Metal's not his thing but he can enjoy it sometimes too I'm sure.

My mom doesn't like it though. She thinks it's the main reason that I don't have a girlfriend all the time. Razz No THAT is because I work until 11 o clock every night and I'm not in school right now. I think that has something to do with it. Razz

Yeah my mom is usually yelling at me to turn it down. It seems that every time I'm playing Peace Sells..., she ALWAYS seems to yell at me during that song to turn it down. I don't play it enough for her to know the song offhand, and I can play a lot of other songs but she hears that song once in a GREAT while and she ALWAYS yells at me to turn it down during that one. Razz Haha.

She doesn't know how awesome and fun headbanging is. 🤘
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jedilink
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What do your parents think of metal?
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next