Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What do your parents think of metal?

Go down 
+43
White_Mage
stevegarveyfan
Shiney
tohostudios
Stender
IHATEGENRES
ThrashedOutCobra33
Orion Crystal Ice
KissinMaiden
Chairman_Smith
Tall Tyrion
krokus
7thSecond
nevermore
Vordul
Troublezone
DallasBlack
T-Roy
scottmitchell74
jstate
Damien Solta
candlemass
the sentinel
TheGooch
Sword Of The Heretic
juanmiguel
Thrasher73
thejokeriv
MetalGuy71
SAHB Healer
iamrockerfun
AchrisK
stepcousin
spiritoradio
Fat Freddy
Jedilink
GrandNational
Smindas
ultmetal
SideShowDisaSter
mc666
Required Fields
47 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

What do your parents think of metal? Empty
PostSubject: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2007 9:34 pm

Mainly this is a thread for those under 30, as I doubt there are any 70+ metal appreciators out there.

My dad isn't a fan at all, although he admits the bands are really talented. He seemed to like Saxon when I had some of their stuff playing, and he admitted the guitar work on Fates Warning's The Spectre Within was really good when he heard it (that doesn't mean he liked it, although it doesn't mean he didn't).

My mom doesn't hate it; she doesn't really care for it at all, though. She absolutely HATES death metal, though. Still, she says there are worse types of music.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2007 9:48 pm

My mom's the one who got me into metal when I was a kid. Here two
favorite albums to play were Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffitti and
Black Sabbath's Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and she played them
constantly.

I took her to see Queensryche, Dream Theater & Fates Warning and
Iced Earth and she loved both shows though she hated Trivium and Beyond
The Embrace (who opened for Iced Earth but I didn't like Trivium either)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2007 11:04 pm

My father doesn't listen to any music and my mother doesnt really mind it although one day years ago she walked in to the room and I had a Steve Vai CD playing and the song on at the time was "For the Love of God" and she quite liked the guitar work on it, and that moment passed.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2007 11:32 pm

i never asked, because i don't care. but the heaviest thing i've seen in my dads cd collection is BTO.

SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2007 12:29 am

My dad does not like metal in any way shape or form. My mom doesn't really care, and is pretty indifferent to it.

Music is something I've never really talked to my parents about, though.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2007 1:39 am

I play in a metal band. My parents came to see me once, a decade ago. I guess they didn't like it. affraid

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2007 1:53 am

My mum is probably responsible for my taste in metal, raising me on Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath. She digs quite a lot of what I play in the car so long as it isn't too heavy. My dad likes bits and pieces of metal, so long as it isn't heavy like thrash - he seems to enjoy power metal but really he's just indifferent.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2007 2:50 am

ultmetal wrote:
I play in a metal band. My parents came to see me once, a decade ago. I guess they didn't like it. affraid

No love from the folks Ult?
Back to top Go down
Jedilink
Metal student
Metal student
Jedilink

Number of posts : 136

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2007 2:50 am

My mom really doesn't like it. Every time I get a new girlfriend she says that, "They don't wanna hear that crap". All I've got to say to that is, if they don't like THAT, they won't like me. And if they constantly give me crap about it, then they aren't the type of girl I get along with then. The best realationships (with me anyway) work when we have similar interests.

My dad is a guitarist actually. And (now don't laugh) he plays in the Billy Ray Cyrus band. He could've been in the Marshal Tucker band once but chickened out!!!! But seriously, he appreciates all kinds of music, so he doesn't mind too much. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jedilink

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2007 3:20 am

My mother took me to my first concert! Def Leppard and Queensryche. She likes Krokus and Dio and whatnot. Of course, she's annoying as all hell now, at 50 years old, she's listening to other stuff like Clay Aiken, Chris Daughtry, and Josh Grobin. sick
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2007 4:22 am

My parents never gave a rats' ass about Metal. My Dad was a doo-wop fan and my Mom was a Beatlemaniac. They didn't care that my brother and I listened to it though. All my Dad would do occasionally if he heard Priest or Maiden cranking from our bedroom was shake his head and say "That's a long way from the Everly Brothers" Smile

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2007 4:35 am

My Mom is more of a Classic Rock-Hard Rock person, and she doesn't mind me listening to Metal, but doesn't care for it either. My Dad describes Metal as "RAH RAH BLAH BLAH RAW RAH RAHG." He likes Classic Rock, but grew out of it and listens to Country now.
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2007 7:55 am

My mom listens to singers like Tony Bennet, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, and Celine Dion among others. She never really cared that I listened to hard rock and heavy metal. My dad is the one that started me out on the Metal Highway. He had tons of tapes from bands like Aerosmith, ZZ Top, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Grand Funk Railroad...etc. One of the earliest recollections I have was drumming along on an inflatable seat cushion to the 45rpm of Sammy Hagar's I Can't Drive 55, and staring at the record cover of Deep Purple's Machine Head...Ah the memories Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2007 8:59 am

Eyesore wrote:
My mother took me to my first concert! Def Leppard and Queensryche. She likes Krokus and Dio and whatnot. Of course, she's annoying as all hell now, at 50 years old, she's listening to other stuff like Clay Aiken, Chris Daughtry, and Josh Grobin. sick
maybe she'll take you to your first Clay Aiken concert too. laughing

stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2007 12:16 pm

my parents are in their 60's, I dont think they know metal exists.
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2007 9:03 pm

I am the son of AchrisK, and he's too old! But I'm not! Yeah, he obviously got me into METAL and he likes it. Now I like metal, death metal, black metal, heavy metal, and grunge. What more could a kid ask for, eh?
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2007 12:27 am

they totaly ignore metal rock ... etc. don't care what im listening. father is Scorpions, Queen and so on oriented. sometimes we talk bout bands. i always wanna see my father with me on concert but he won't go. dunno why. once , i think 3 4 weeks back, he though that he may go to see Heaven & Hell ... smurf poo man ! that's gonna be surprised for me, if he said, ''okay im going'' ... uaaa. back to reality.
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2007 1:50 am

I would never expose my parents to metal; just becuase I know they would find it annoying if not upsetting.
But here's the interesting thing...a lot of TV commercials feature either metalic sounding backgrounds (truck commercials, etc.); or use actual metal songs. I've often had a chuckle at seeing my parents, the TV turned up full blast, listening uncomprehendingly to a Zepplin or VanHalen song on a TV commercial; or even something louder.
The other interesting thing is this...my Dad was in a nursing home, and they had a little boombox where the patients would sit around in their wheelchairs and listen to music. A few times I noticed that some of the "younger"residents were listening to very early rock music (Elvis, etc); and it occured to me that when my generation is in the old folks home; we will be sitting there listening to Black Sabbath; and when yours is there you will be listening to Slayer in your wheelchair. Think about it...of course you will. I mean you're not gonna become a Lawrence Welk fan all of a sudden when you turn 80 are you? It's a funny image to think about, but it's gonna happen! 🤘
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2007 6:12 am

ahah decent post SAHB, too true.

My rents are indifferent...figure its just a phase...that's malarky.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2007 7:35 am

My mom hates it with a passion. She doesn't care when I listen to it provided she's not around. My dad though, he doesn't like mist classic metal but has been getting into the nu-metal style a bit with bands like Staind (My dad's a hair over 40) and such. He's more of a classic rocker, modern metal style perosn
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2007 7:36 am

My mom hates it with a passion. She doesn't care when I listen to it provided she's not around. My dad though, he doesn't like mist classic metal but has been getting into the nu-metal style a bit with bands like Staind (My dad's a hair over 40) and such. He's more of a classic rocker, modern metal style perosn
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2007 9:32 am

If I were 20, and my parents were old rockers at one time, I would try to turn them on to newer rock based stuff like Brand New Sin and Fireball Ministry. I think some of them might appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2007 2:12 pm

My parents hated metal and couldn't understand how I could listen to and like it. Then again,they grew up in the 40s and 50s. My dad (God rest his soul) loved old time country (not the crap out there now) and my mom loves the big band style of music.Just about everytime I stop by her house ,she has her station on listening to the music.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2007 3:38 pm

Tight N' Steel wrote:

My rents are indifferent...figure its just a phase...that's malarky.

Sometimes my WIFE still rolls her eyes when i come home from the used CD store with a stack of discs or when I get a package of CDs in the mail, and I wonder if SHE thinks my metal fanboy-ness is a "phase" that I'm going to grow out of sometime... well, I'll be 37 years old in about three weeks, so sorry babe, I don't think it's ever gonna happen. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2007 5:10 pm

Both my parents kinda hate it lol, they put up with it tho
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What do your parents think of metal?
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next