Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What do your parents think of metal?

Go down 
+43
White_Mage
stevegarveyfan
Shiney
tohostudios
Stender
IHATEGENRES
ThrashedOutCobra33
Orion Crystal Ice
KissinMaiden
Chairman_Smith
Tall Tyrion
krokus
7thSecond
nevermore
Vordul
Troublezone
DallasBlack
T-Roy
scottmitchell74
jstate
Damien Solta
candlemass
the sentinel
TheGooch
Sword Of The Heretic
juanmiguel
Thrasher73
thejokeriv
MetalGuy71
SAHB Healer
iamrockerfun
AchrisK
stepcousin
spiritoradio
Fat Freddy
Jedilink
GrandNational
Smindas
ultmetal
SideShowDisaSter
mc666
Required Fields
47 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

What do your parents think of metal? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2007 10:13 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Tight N' Steel wrote:

My rents are indifferent...figure its just a phase...that's malarky.

Sometimes my WIFE still rolls her eyes when i come home from the used CD store with a stack of discs or when I get a package of CDs in the mail, and I wonder if SHE thinks my metal fanboy-ness is a "phase" that I'm going to grow out of sometime... well, I'll be 37 years old in about three weeks, so sorry babe, I don't think it's ever gonna happen. Smile

Boy, do I know that look!! I get it from my wife too!! I remember one of her girlfriend's asking me if I'd ever grow out of listening to that "head-banging stuff" and I said "Why would I? It makes me happy. Am I supposed to suddenly mature over-night when I hit 30 and put on a sweater-vest and listen to Dave Matthews?"
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2007 10:50 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Boy, do I know that look!! I get it from my wife too!! I remember one of her girlfriend's asking me if I'd ever grow out of listening to that "head-banging stuff" and I said "Why would I? It makes me happy. Am I supposed to suddenly mature over-night when I hit 30 and put on a sweater-vest and listen to Dave Matthews?"

I will never forget when my wife (who was then still my fiance) and I first moved into an apartment together. When I brought all my CDs, records, and tapes in her eyes kinda bugged out, I guess she knew I had a lot of stuff, but didn't realize HOW much. Then after we'd been there for a while I stopped at the used-CD store on my way home from work one day and came walking in the door with a stack of 8 or 9 CDs. She said to me, "Are you EVER going to stop buying CDs?"

It actually took me a couple of seconds to come up with a response to such a question, because the concept had never occurred to me, and I told her (direct quote):

"Um...no."

That was almost ten years ago, fortunately the subject hasn't come up since. Smile
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2007 11:18 am

Oh, don't get me wrong. My wife doesn't hassle me about it. It's just her little way of bustin' my onions. My music collection brings me joy and as long as the mortgage is paid, we go out to dinner every now & then and still take decent vacations, she's ok with my addiction. There are far worse things I could be addicted too drunken

I think she likes it too that I get so exicted over simple things like finding a rare cd in a used shop or waiting for a new release from my favorite bands.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2007 11:43 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
There are far worse things I could be addicted too drunken

Yea, that's true, I think she feels the same way. As long as collecting CDs keeps me from becoming addicted to dope, alcohol, gambling, or having an affair she's fine with it. Although she will make editorial comments about some of the bands/CDs from time to time (i.e. "Ewww, this guy needs a haircut!")
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2007 6:56 pm

Quote :
Am I supposed to suddenly mature over-night when I hit 30 and put on a sweater-vest and listen to Dave Matthews?"

I have known some people who have effected that sort of B.S. pose. I mean it's ok to expand one's horizons; I listen to all kinds of music and always have; but that sort of efffected "maturity" is silly.
I once knew a guy (a really good fellow too); but he "grew out" of metal, started smoking a pipe, and all that after he got married. A few years later he had a big time mid-life crisis, had an affair, bought a sports car, and started listening to his old music again.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2007 7:09 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Oh, don't get me wrong. My wife doesn't hassle me about it. It's just her little way of bustin' my onions. My music collection brings me joy and as long as the mortgage is paid, we go out to dinner every now & then and still take decent vacations, she's ok with my addiction. There are far worse things I could be addicted too drunken

I think she likes it too that I get so exicted over simple things like finding a rare cd in a used shop or waiting for a new release from my favorite bands.

That's cool - my wife likes some songs by metal bands (she's more a fan of the 80's hair metal stuff, which I love too). She suprised me with ticked to KISS/Aerosmith for my birthday one year (didn't think I'dd be able to go at the time, got the tickets 10 minutes before we had to leave for the show). When I found out Iron Maiden was coming to NJ (3 hour drive from my house), she encouraged me to join the Iron Maiden online fan club so I could get really good tickets (5th row!) and go.

Gee- this is turning into "does your wife/significant other like metal" thread.

For the record, my parents don't like it, but never stopped me from listening to it. Christmas 1983 presents included Piece Of Mind and Bark At The Moon. And they always bought me a KISS record I didn't have for my birthday in the late 70's. When I was 9, my birthday present was a stereo record player and KISS Double Platinum (I also got Van Halen 1 from someone at my birthday party).
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2007 9:02 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

That's cool - my wife likes some songs by metal bands (she's more a fan of the 80's hair metal stuff, which I love too). She suprised me with ticked to KISS/Aerosmith for my birthday one year (didn't think I'dd be able to go at the time, got the tickets 10 minutes before we had to leave for the show). When I found out Iron Maiden was coming to NJ (3 hour drive from my house), she encouraged me to join the Iron Maiden online fan club so I could get really good tickets (5th row!) and go.

Gee- this is turning into "does your wife/significant other like metal" thread.

For the record, my parents don't like it, but never stopped me from listening to it. Christmas 1983 presents included Piece Of Mind and Bark At The Moon. And they always bought me a KISS record I didn't have for my birthday in the late 70's. When I was 9, my birthday present was a stereo record player and KISS Double Platinum (I also got Van Halen 1 from someone at my birthday party).

That's amazing. My wife is exactly the same as yours. Christmas 1983,my presents were Bark At The Moon and Metal Health. My birthday present when I turned 8 was Ace Frehley's 1978 Solo Album. Cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2007 2:36 am

ahaha funny, this is definetly how it's gunna be for me when I'm your age...which is why, since I'm leaving for up north in a few weeks, is too find a decently lookin' lady who digs the innards of heavy metal; to grab ahold of her neck and never let go...

I'm sorry, I'm open minded as the next guy, but I would not be able to live with, not so much as to marry a woman whose only musical appetite includes Jay Z and Beyonce...sorry, later tootse.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2007 10:15 am

Hate it with a passion,they thought I was gonna outgrow it a long long time ago
Back to top Go down
juanmiguel
Metal student
Metal student
juanmiguel

Number of posts : 147

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2007 2:14 am

my dad thinks its music for degenerates. . . though a few days ago he told me he liked the Primal fear song i was listening to (Rollercoaster from the Seven Seals album)

we've gotten into a number of heated arguments in the past where he claimed that metal is for psychotic mass-murderers. . . . hmmmmmm
Back to top Go down
Sword Of The Heretic
Metal master
Metal master
Sword Of The Heretic

Number of posts : 605

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2007 12:33 pm

My dad and I butted heads about metal when I was growing up. He didn't approve of it, and I kept my cassettes hid from him.
Once I moved out, he never bothered me about it again.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2007 11:42 am

my dad likes metal but only got into it cos i did first. my mum approves of certain bands like tallica and trivium but she hates death metal so if i am in an evil mood i will play the holy cannibal corpse extra loud
ahh ah h a*
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2007 12:37 am

My parents for the most part dislike metal, but once i played Dont Break the Oath in the car and my dad seemed to enjoy A Dangerous Meeting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2007 1:42 am

My dad hates it alot and says that I'm getting to into it. And everytime I want to buy a cd he says "Don't you have enough cds?" My mom used to like metal in the 80's stuff like Ozzy and Megadeth but now she doesn't like it very much but doesn't have a problem with me listening to it.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2007 7:52 am

I managed to get my dad into Poison a few weeks ago when I burnt him a copy of Poison'd and the best of. He loved the former the former, and liked the latter. I was pleasantly surprised.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2007 5:11 pm

They tolerate it b/c they love me. Growing up in a very strict Catholic household I got tortured for it in the 80's with the whole PMRC smurf poo and all my holier than thou cousins who no longer belong to any organized "real" religion ( I think they worship a carrot or something now...losers Laughing very hard ). Even though I attend church services each and every Sunday my mother still rolls her eyes when she hears me crankin' IM, JP, or Killswitch. But nobody really bothers me anymore,🤘
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2007 11:59 pm

My dad liked it when he was younger, but he has since mellowed out. My mom hates that music... she calls it "psycho talentless bullshit."
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2007 12:41 am

My dad calls it "hard steel"! lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Damien Solta
Metal student
Metal student

Number of posts : 112

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2007 6:32 pm

My mother dislikes it a whole lot, (she's into pop and other here now, gone the day after, types of bands). My father on the other hand is cool with it. He's got Dio and Black Sabbath records, though he likes his Deep Purple, and well.. Al Stewart (which I have come to respect and listen to often). Though a metal head, he is not (more a country head ?!?). Overall though, they respect it.
[And if there's grammer wrong, tell me, I'll be quick to fix it. Thanks]
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2007 8:52 pm

I was lucky in that my parents felt being so into music was much better than other things I could be into. They always encouraged and accepted my love of metal - which sort of took away the rebellious appeal of it. They also were very anti-pmrc, we used to get Frank Zappa's censorship newsletter . And though they would never listen to metal themselves (fifties and sixties pop is their music of choice), my mom did enjoy Sebastian Bach as the Phantom and still asks about what he is up to.

And while I had it good growing up, naturally my fiance really dislikes most of what I really love. Though she does try her best to not be a music snob about it. And last Halloween she did dress up as Doro so I liked that. A lot.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 10:18 am

candlemass wrote:
My dad calls it "hard steel"! lol!

When I was a teen over my buddy's house, listening to records, his dad said "What are you boys doing, listening to that damn heavy iron again?"

We still laugh about it to this day, 16 years later.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 10:22 am

My parents were always cool with it with me. They were glad I wasn't gay. (not that there is anything wrong with that).

But when my older brother put "Dio 666" on his record player, my Dad flipped.

My brother is notorious for dumbass things like that. lol!
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 11:36 am

My Dad would always accuse whatever I was listening to of being Satanic (Pronouncing this word Say-Tonic!) However, he has some things to answer for. His BTO, CCR, Three Dog Night etc..8 Tracks are what helped get me into harder music in the late 70's early 80's. Not to mention he had his share of Led Zep vinyl in his day. It's what he liked from the 60's/70's so it was O.K.......until one days many many years later he walks into the room and yells at me to "turn off that 'acid rock' " which I found humorous since it was his 8-Track of CCR I was listening to!! The man just kind of got old one night in the late 80's or early 90's I guess....Now he listens to Phantom of the Opera and other unmentionable fecal material......

To answer the question....my parents generallly loathe and don't understand why I love metal. They hate it!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 11:39 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:
My Dad would always accuse whatever I was listening to of being Satanic (Pronouncing this word Say-Tonic!) However, he has some things to answer for. His BTO, CCR, Three Dog Night etc..8 Tracks are what helped get me into harder music in the late 70's early 80's. Not to mention he had his share of Led Zep vinyl in his day. It's what he liked from the 60's/70's so it was O.K.......until one days many many years later he walks into the room and yells at me to "turn off that 'acid rock' " which I found humorous since it was his 8-Track of CCR I was listening to!! The man just kind of got old one night in the late 80's or early 90's I guess....Now he listens to Phantom of the Opera and other unmentionable fecal material......

To answer the question....my parents generallly loathe and don't understand why I love metal. They hate it!

The sins of the father.... Smile
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 11:43 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:

To answer the question....my parents
generally loathe and don't understand why I love metal. They hate
it!
Same here, letting me listen to Christian Metal was a HUGE
compromise in their mind. They just hated heavy metal period, which, I
can relate, I'm completely intolerant in the same way with rap, HATE
IT! No explanation needed, just hate it all! lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do your parents think of metal?   What do your parents think of metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What do your parents think of metal?
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next