Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Joe Satriani sues Cold Play

Go down 
+18
EvyMetal
Glenn Rogers
MetalRob331
Troublezone
stepcousin
the sentinel
Schbopo
exact33
Smindas
metalinmyveins
manny
MetalGuy71
Temple of Blood
mc666
sam
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
thejokeriv
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Joe Satriani sues Cold Play - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 5:01 pm

Definate rip off! It's too close to be a coincidence.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 6:24 pm

I agree this is a major rip-off. I hope Satch gets this all situated.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 7:21 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
I hope Satch gets this all situated.

Satch-uated! Joe Satriani sues Cold Play - Page 2 505193
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 9:04 pm

detuned wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
I hope Satch gets this all situated.

Satch-uated! Joe Satriani sues Cold Play - Page 2 505193

haha yea that one
Back to top Go down
Glenn Rogers
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Glenn Rogers

Number of posts : 1069

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 12:03 pm

Well it's a popular chord pattern used by everyone who plays pop music today. it's the new 1 4 5.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/finaldecreeofficial/
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 4:50 pm

From Blabbermouth:

Legendary rock guitarist Joe Satriani has spoken to MusicRadar.com about his decision to sue COLDPLAY, accusing the Grammy-nominated stars of plagiarizing one of his songs.

According to Reuters, Satriani's copyright infringement suit, filed on Thursday (December 4) in Los Angeles federal court, claims the COLDPLAY song "Viva La Vida" incorporates "substantial original portions" of his 2004 instrumental "If I Could Fly".

The 52-year-old guitar virtuoso is seeking a jury trial, damages and "any and all profits" attributable to the alleged copyright infringement.

Speaking to MusicRadar.com on December 6, Joe Satriani recalled the exact emotion he felt when he first heard COLDPLAY's "Viva La Vida".

"The second I heard, I knew... I felt like a dagger went right through my heart. It hurt so much," Satriani said. "The second I heard it, I knew it was [my own] 'If I Could Fly'."

As it turned out, Satriani wasn't the only one who noticed the similarity between "If I Could Fly" and "Viva La Vida".

"Almost immediately, from the minute their song came out, my e-mail box flooded with people going, 'Have you heard this song by COLDPLAY? They ripped you off man,'" he said. "I mean, I couldn't tell you how many e-mails I received.

"Everybody noticed the similarities between the songs. It's pretty obvious. It's as simple as that — when you listen to a song and you say, 'Wow, that's a real rip-off.'"

Read more from MusicRadar.com.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 3:20 pm

Coldplay - let's rip of this guy Satriani, most of our fans don't know what good music is anyway. Have you heard of this guy? Yeah neither have I.

Satriani - I like playing guitar.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 4:23 pm

Coldplay's response:

NEW YORK (AP) - Coldplay has fired back against accusations they copied another artist's work for their hit "Viva La Vida."

In a statement released on Tuesday, the band responded to a copyright infringement lawsuit filed by guitarist Joe Satriani last week in federal court in Los Angeles. That lawsuit says the Grammy-nominated song contains "substantial, original portions" of his 2004 song, "If I Could Fly."

"With the greatest possible respect to Joe Satriani, we have now unfortunately found it necessary to respond publicly to his allegations," read the statement. "If there are any similarities between our two pieces of music, they are entirely coincidental, and just as surprising to us as to him. Joe Satriani is a great musician, but he did not write the song 'Viva La Vida.' We respectfully ask him to accept our assurances of this and wish him well with all future endeavours."

They are going to totally lose in court!!!!
Back to top Go down
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 1:41 am

Coldplay deserve it one way or another. According to the hype they rip off other artists as well like Radiohead so it will teach them a lesson for good which I find very plausable. Don't mind a few songs of Coldplay's but they generally have very bland songs and attract an audience of Bank Managers, Tax Accountants and generally average joes
Back to top Go down
Ben Grimm
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ben Grimm

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 10:05 am

Joe should sue them for sucking!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/inedibleben
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 10:06 am

Ben Grimm wrote:
Joe should sue them for sucking!

Laughing very hard

I actually don't mind Cold Play but that was funny as hell.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 10:58 am

Has there been any update on this case? Are they going to court or was this settled?

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 12:07 pm

Here's the only thing I have seen about lawsuit recently, from Classic Rock Magazine's website:

Joe Satriani had threatened to serve Coldplay with a writ at the Grammys in his ongoing feud with the indie chancers over his track If I Could Fly. As you can see by the headline, he didn’t.
Satriani is still expected to proceed with court proceedings for Coldaplay’s Viva La Vida stealing ’sunbstantial original portions’ of his 2004 track.
Just to add insult to injury, Coldplay won Best Song Of The Year for (you guessed it) Viva La Vida. Ouch.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 12:12 pm

I was debating starting a new thread about this one, but it's in the same theme. Apparently a track off of the new Springsteen album is eerily close to a classic KISS tune. You be the judge...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uANKzbaucU

I don't think any legal action has been taken (yet), but it's interesting.

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 1:14 pm

That has some similarity but not as much as Coldplay/Satch. I think there's not much original anymore in popular music and this is bound to happen more and more. Guys have heard a song but probably don't remember when or where and then put the line in their own song. I don't see Bruce as being much of a Kiss fan.
Back to top Go down
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 819

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 1:20 pm

A co-worker and I were joking at work a bit about this, saying something to the effect Joe was in the crowd at the Grammys telling everyone around him "Hey, did you know I wrote this song?". We had images of various musical stars smiling and nodding in that 'that's nice' sort of way.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 1:32 pm

Maybe he even got a pat on the back or two.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 1:46 pm

Quote :
Guys have heard a song but probably don't remember when or where and then put the line in their own song

I've heard a story that when Paul McCartney originally came up with the music to "Yesterday", he shellved it, thinking that he must have heard the melody somewhere else because it came to him so easily. He couldn't believe he came up with it completely on his own. It was George Martin that convinced him to record it.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 2:54 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
Guys have heard a song but probably don't remember when or where and then put the line in their own song

I've heard a story that when Paul McCartney originally came up with the music to "Yesterday", he shellved it, thinking that he must have heard the melody somewhere else because it came to him so easily. He couldn't believe he came up with it completely on his own. It was George Martin that convinced him to record it.

True story, he even recounts the story in the hours long Beatles Anthology DVD documentary.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 3:08 pm

I've heard that too. Back then, it was probably easier to come up with original stuff. If Judas Priest sued everyone that had a riff of theirs in a song they'd be in court for life.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 7:28 pm

NumbskullakaNazgul wrote:
I've heard that too. Back then, it was probably easier to come up with original stuff. If Judas Priest sued everyone that had a riff of theirs in a song they'd be in court for life.

yep, also almost every one of the eighties glam bands could have sued each other at one point or another.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 11:03 am

sam wrote:
NumbskullakaNazgul wrote:

yep, also almost every one of the eighties glam bands could have sued each other at one point or another.
This is what I was thinking. People take melodies, riffs and copy some styles of other bands to make their own music. But the song can't be that similar. At least change the chorus or add something, so that they couldn't sound so similar
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 11:36 am

I think sometimes it's an homage if the bands are in the same genre, or one band was influenced by another. Take Priest and Primal fear for example, lots of similarities there. Also, I was listening to Firewind the other night and was struck by how much "Ready To Strike" sounds like Whitesnake's "Children Of The Night" At least to my ears. Do I think Gus G. intentionally ripped off David Coverdale? No, not at all. He might be just like hundreds of people who have heard that song hundreds of times since 1987.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 11:43 am

I think they'll end up settling for Joe having a co-write credit w/ the appropriate publishing roaylty (and back royalties) applied to it....like The Rolling Stones had to do w/ KD Lang when one of thier songs sounded like one of hers...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 11:54 am

There are only so many riff combinations out there (especially in a genre like metal which has a very small chordal vocabulary to begin with). The progression to Black Sabbath's N.I.B & War Pigs is almost identical...and that same progression shows up in countless Judas Priest songs...which in turn shows up in a million songs by a million other bands.

There's only so many tracks you can write in the key of "E", it's inevitable that somebody, somewhere has come up with the same riff either by accident or subconsciously remembering it from something else.

The first original I ever wrote I thought sounded pretty damn cool, recorded it and played it for a few friends. One of them then pointed out that it was almost identical to the riff in "Wickedness Of Man" by Trouble...as soon as he said it I realized it, but I never intentionally "ripped if off".

I just noticed for the first time recently that the Savatage song "Streets" is almost identical to the title track from Eternal Idol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Joe Satriani sues Cold Play
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next