Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Van Halen sues nike.

Go down 
+10
Temple of Blood
MetalGuy71
manny
ultmetal
Troublezone
Required Fields
Stender
Shiney
Schbopo
Onkel Ben
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Onkel Ben
Metal novice
Metal novice
Onkel Ben

Number of posts : 42

Van Halen sues nike. Empty
PostSubject: Van Halen sues nike.   Van Halen sues nike. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 9:35 pm

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2009/06/17/eddie-van-halen-sues-nike-over-guitars-signature-color-scheme/

First the guitar hero thing and now this, any thoughts? Neutral
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen sues nike.   Van Halen sues nike. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 9:45 pm

angry

You did not invent stripes, Eddie. Stop being a prick and just play guitar.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen sues nike.   Van Halen sues nike. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 10:08 pm

He needs the money for another hip or a new less cancerous jaw...Pompous asswipe that he is.

The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen sues nike.   Van Halen sues nike. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 10:20 pm

This cheesedick is out of his mind, how does he think he can copyright a color scheme?!?!
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen sues nike.   Van Halen sues nike. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 10:25 pm

Stender wrote:
This cheesedick is out of his mind, how does he think he can copyright a color scheme?!?!

Hey, Gene Simmons did it. Razz
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen sues nike.   Van Halen sues nike. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 11:43 pm

Wow, Eddie has lost his mind.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen sues nike.   Van Halen sues nike. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 3:28 am

I don't care either way because Nike is just another greedy corporation and Eddie needs more money for his smokes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen sues nike.   Van Halen sues nike. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 7:25 am

Nike's "design" is a little more than simple color scheme similarity...everyone in the world recognizes that pattern as Van Halen related...
Back to top Go down
Onkel Ben
Metal novice
Metal novice
Onkel Ben

Number of posts : 42

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen sues nike.   Van Halen sues nike. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 7:40 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Nike's "design" is a little more than simple color scheme similarity...everyone in the world recognizes that pattern as Van Halen related...

Yes, but is it anything to sue over?
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen sues nike.   Van Halen sues nike. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 7:45 am

Onkel Ben wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Precisely. It's a similar design, yes, but as long as it doesn't have the freakin' Van Halen logo on it, I don't think Eddie has a very good case.

The next day, in court...
Nike: This is not the same as your design, man.
Eddie: But...but...It's my design! I invented those colors! Pay attention to me! I'm significant! GAAAA!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen sues nike.   Van Halen sues nike. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 8:01 am

Onkel Ben wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

If he brought in pics of him over the years holding those guitars, in those colors, has his design copyrighted, and can prove Nike never once contacted him, EVH would win a lawsuit on that. That color scheme/striped design is known all over the world as "Eddie Van Halen's guitar"...Nike is making money from people who will buy them because they look like EVH shoes and EVH gets no money. I'm not saying it's not greedy of EVH to do it, I'm just saying that he has a case...however nitpicky.

Heck, Gene Simmons was able to get King Diamond to change his makeup design and it was less similar than these shoes.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen sues nike.   Van Halen sues nike. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 8:23 am

How exactly do you copyright a color scheme. How ridiculous!

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen sues nike.   Van Halen sues nike. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 8:26 am

I think the lawsuit is silly, AC/DC 's logo design has been ripped off and incorporated into all sorts of slogans and T shirts, I am sure they have grounds to sue but they have not bothered.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen sues nike.   Van Halen sues nike. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 8:26 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Onkel Ben wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

If he brought in pics of him over the years holding those guitars, in those colors, has his design copyrighted, and can prove Nike never once contacted him, EVH would win a lawsuit on that. That color scheme/striped design is known all over the world as "Eddie Van Halen's guitar"...Nike is making money from people who will buy them because they look like EVH shoes and EVH gets no money. I'm not saying it's not greedy of EVH to do it, I'm just saying that he has a case...however nitpicky.

Heck, Gene Simmons was able to get King Diamond to change his makeup design and it was less similar than these shoes.

Nike knew what they were doing... whoever is in charge of the marketing dept at Nike knew of VH's stripes and colors. It's iconic to say the least. I think shawn hit the nail on the head with the "cash in" on Ed's design.

Last edited by Troublezone on Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen sues nike.   Van Halen sues nike. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 8:33 am

Troublezone wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Onkel Ben wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Nike knew what they were doing... whoever is in charge of the devopment dept at Nike knew of VH's stripes and colors. It's iconic to say the least. I think shawn hit the nail on the head with the "cash in" on Ed's design.

Plus, EVH suing gives them both more publicity.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen sues nike.   Van Halen sues nike. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 8:36 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Onkel Ben wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Nike knew what they were doing... whoever is in charge of the devopment dept at Nike knew of VH's stripes and colors. It's iconic to say the least. I think shawn hit the nail on the head with the "cash in" on Ed's design.

Plus, EVH suing gives them both more publicity.

EVH secretly works for Nike. Razz
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen sues nike.   Van Halen sues nike. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 10:16 am

Yea, Eddie'e been on quite a douchey run as of late, buy I gotta go with him on this one. Nike's designers knew what they were doing.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen sues nike.   Van Halen sues nike. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 1:52 pm

"Dude, I wish I'd thought of that"
Van Halen sues nike. Rhoads

Van Halen sues nike. Valentino-polka-dot-shoes

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen sues nike.   Van Halen sues nike. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 1:57 pm

How hot of a property is VAN HALEN in 2009 that Nike would want a piece of that action?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen sues nike.   Van Halen sues nike. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 1:59 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
How hot of a property is VAN HALEN in 2009 that Nike would want a piece of that action?

Van Halen is iconic and the back catalog sells very consistently...that's one reason you can find VH shirts at places like JCPenny and Spencer's...they're legend.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen sues nike.   Van Halen sues nike. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 2:03 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

I guess we'll find out when that Guitar Hero/Rock Star/Van Halen game (whatever it's called) hits the market. All the kids will want to be like Eddie, right down to the footwear.

By the way, didn't Eddie already market a stripped sneaker? I seem to remember a thread about that.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen sues nike.   Van Halen sues nike. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 2:10 pm

Now this all makes sense!! Eddie doesn't want any competition in the stripped footwear department!!

https://secure.feamerch.com/stores/evhshoes/

EDDIE VAN HALEN LAUNCHES EVH BRAND SIGNATURE STRIPED SNEAKERS:
(Los Angeles, CA - April 14, 2009) Legendary rock guitar icon Eddie Van Halen and partner FEA Merchandising are proud to announce the release of EVH Brand Signature Striped Sneakers.
For nearly 2 decades, EVH fans have been attending Van Halen shows wearing homemade versions of the striped sneakers that Eddie wears onstage, modeled after his infamous red white and black striped Frankenstein guitar.
“So many people would ask me, where can I get a pair of those? After hearing that for about 15 years, I figured they were something that people obviously wanted, so making them available and official seemed like a natural progression,” Eddie said.
In addition to the red Frankenstein theme, the shoes are also available in White with Black stripe theme, which pays tribute to the guitar Eddie rewrote the rules with in 1978 and Black with Yellow stripes, which pays homage to the guitar that Eddie displays on the back cover of Van Halen II. All 3 color themes are available in high and low top versions, with the familiar “5150” tag adorning the spine.
Available now online at www.EVHGear.com and at department and specialty stores worldwide, EVH signature striped sneakers follow in the footsteps of other EVH signature items like Wolfgang guitars, 5150 amplifiers, and EVH accessories. These classic canvas style sneakers have been “road tested” by Eddie over the course of several tours and were most recently seen on the sold out 2007 / 2008 North American arena tour with his band Van Halen.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen sues nike.   Van Halen sues nike. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 3:38 pm

bah!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen sues nike.   Van Halen sues nike. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 8:55 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Yea, Eddie'e been on quite a douchey run as of late, buy I gotta go with him on this one. Nike's designers knew what they were doing.

Agreed. Is the whole thing stupid? Yes. But the bottom line is Eddie had it copyrighted and if the patent office or whatever accepted it and signed on the dotted line, then Eddie has a case.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen sues nike.   Van Halen sues nike. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 9:43 pm

stepcousin wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Agreed. Is the whole thing stupid? Yes. But the bottom line is Eddie had it copyrighted and if the patent office or whatever accepted it and signed on the dotted line, then Eddie has a case.

Same here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen sues nike.   Van Halen sues nike. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Van Halen sues nike.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next