Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best and Worst of Joe Satriani

Go down 
+23
slipkid
mikeinfla
shamgar75
Louder
snooloui
akeldama
journeyman
Infinite
bassman
exact33
Temple of Blood
Troublezone
stepcousin
Ben Grimm
adrian
chewie
MetalGuy71
jstate
thejokeriv
manny
EmoElmo
ultmetal
27 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Best and Worst of Joe Satriani Empty
PostSubject: Best and Worst of Joe Satriani   Best and Worst of Joe Satriani Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 9:17 am

Any Satriani fans here? If so, what are some of your favorites and least-favorite albums?

I've been a Satriani fan since I was in college in the 80's and discovered "Not of This Earth". Though Joe is a shredder, the album was comforting and relaxing for me. "Surfing With the Alien" was a bit more upbeat and shredding, but it's a great release. Many still hold it up as Joe's best. It has the distinction of being one of the few instrumental albums to generate a hit single. Those two have long been my favorites, with "The Extremist" coming in a close third.

I've recently really been enjoying Joe's 1995 self-titled release. It's a bit more stripped down and blues based. Much like "Not of this Earth" I find this record to be quite enjoyable and relaxing.

Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Joe Satriani   Best and Worst of Joe Satriani Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 10:12 am

Although I'm only a casual Satriani listener, My favourite album would def. be 'Flying in a Blue Dream (instrumental parts only)' and The 'Extremist' comes in close second, worst is 'Surfin with an Alien' (I dunno maybe I never liked the production and the uber cheesy 'Always with me', can't stand that tune)

What I don't understand is...why does he have to sing in some of his albums? I mean come on Joe, you know you're not even an 'OK-level' singer angry
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Joe Satriani   Best and Worst of Joe Satriani Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 10:19 am

I love Joe Satrinai, my fav 'The Extremist', my least favorite, which surprises me, because I am a fan of live albums is 'Time Machine', the live disc is good, but the second disc seems somewhat uninspired studio wankery, with the songs not having any real structure or foundations IMO
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Joe Satriani   Best and Worst of Joe Satriani Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 10:21 am

I only have Flying In a Blue Dream and Surfing With The Alien and I like both albums

Glower likes this post

Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Joe Satriani   Best and Worst of Joe Satriani Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 10:53 am

My favorite is Surfing With The Alien. But that is more a sentimental choice. Agree with Manny on Time Machine. Given the love for The Extremist I may have to track that one down.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Joe Satriani   Best and Worst of Joe Satriani Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 11:06 am

I'm a casual fan myself. The 3 albums I have (Flying in a Blue Dream, The Extremist and Crystal Planet) I enjoy very much. The singing on Flying..., while not his strong suit,doesn't bother me. It's a sentimental favorite I guess. It's the only one I upgraded from tape to cd.

At one time I had one of his later releases that I didn't care for, so I sold it. It was more experimental and not enough shedding wankery. I can't remember what one is was though. I'll have to look it up. I'd recognize the cover.

Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Joe Satriani   Best and Worst of Joe Satriani Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 11:27 am

His creative peak was at 'The Extremist', after that, he was pretty much recycling his phrasing and his 'feel'. Kinda like what Malmsteen did after his second album

Even though he relies mostly on the pentatonic box pattern, it's amazing how he can come up with so many variations out of that simple scale, such a shame Kirk Hammett bastardized his technique tho Smile

Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Joe Satriani   Best and Worst of Joe Satriani Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 12:12 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Any Satriani fans here? If so, what are some of your favorites and least-favorite albums?

I've been a Satriani fan since I was in college in the 80's and discovered "Not of This Earth". Though Joe is a shredder, the album was comforting and relaxing for me. "Surfing With the Alien" was a bit more upbeat and shredding, but it's a great release. Many still hold it up as Joe's best. It has the distinction of being one of the few instrumental albums to generate a hit single. Those two have long been my favorites, with "The Extremist" coming in a close third.

I've recently really been enjoying Joe's 1995 self-titled release. It's a bit more stripped down and blues based. Much like "Not of this Earth" I find this record to be quite enjoyable and relaxing.

Ya know, that's kind of funny. I used to LOVE the Satchman! I have The first three and then lost interest in him and the next album I bought was The Self Titled one which actually had some NAME players on it(Any Fairweather Low, Nathan East, Manu Katché)..... a very enjoyable album. I haven't heard anything since. I don't really mind his singing, I think it fits on "Big Bad Moon".

The ones I have:

Not Of This Earth
Surfing With The Alien
Flying In A Blue Dream
Dreaming #11
Joe Satriani

I think I'll pick up The Extremist. I beleive that his first Ep is available or is on the Time Machine Comp.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Joe Satriani   Best and Worst of Joe Satriani Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 12:46 pm

[quote="chewie"I beleive that his first Ep is available or is on the Time Machine Comp.[/quote]

The EP is included on Time Machine.

Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Joe Satriani   Best and Worst of Joe Satriani Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 12:57 pm

ultmetal wrote:
[quote="chewie"I beleive that his first Ep is available or is on the Time Machine Comp.

The EP is included on Time Machine.[/quote]

Another reason to get that, then. Thanks!!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Joe Satriani   Best and Worst of Joe Satriani Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 12:59 pm

My favorite Satriani album is the self-titled featuring Manu Katche, that album is closer to the style I prefer.

I also enjoy Flying In A Blue Dream.

I appreciate Joe and have seen him in concert a couple times. But I prefer my instrumental music to be more "group-oriented" where everyone gets a chance to solo/contribute and it's not just a guitar feature.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Joe Satriani   Best and Worst of Joe Satriani Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 1:04 pm

S.D. wrote:
My favorite Satriani album is the self-titled featuring Manu Katche, that album is closer to the style I prefer.

I also enjoy Flying In A Blue Dream.

I appreciate Joe and have seen him in concert a couple times. But I prefer my instrumental music to be more "group-oriented" where everyone gets a chance to solo/contribute and it's not just a guitar feature.

Manu is a great drummer!!! He is another one of my early influences when I started drumming, Secret World Live and the Us album. Great groover!
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Joe Satriani   Best and Worst of Joe Satriani Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 2:12 pm

I'm a very casual fan. I have one compilation, I like it but have never felt a burning desire to pick up more.
Back to top Go down
Ben Grimm
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ben Grimm

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Joe Satriani   Best and Worst of Joe Satriani Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 4:34 pm

Casual fan here I do have several of his albums but I would be hard pressed to name them, Surfing with the Alien is the only one I know by name and I know the only one that has gotten much play
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/inedibleben
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Joe Satriani   Best and Worst of Joe Satriani Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 6:32 pm

I'm a big Satch fan, I have everything by him on CD, and vinyl LP's of Dreaming #11, Surfin', and Flying. There isn't an album of his I don't like but I'd say his worst is Engines Of Creation, which was his foray into techno-ish and electronica stuff. Still, I like it alot.

My fave is by a long shot: Crystal Planet. Doesn't let up from start to finish, with the exception of A Piece Of Liquid and ZZ's Song. 13 out of the 15 songs on the album hit you in the face with his trademark black Ibanez guitar. I highly recommend it.

Along with the aforementioned albums in this thread, I also like his 2000's releases like Strange Beautiful Music, Is There Love In Space, and Super Colossal. Unfortunately his last few releases are ok at best, he's just running outta gas at this point (could have something to do with Chickenfoot sapping all of his energy and ideas).

edit: nice thread Ult! Cool
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Joe Satriani   Best and Worst of Joe Satriani Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 7:10 pm

I guess my favorites would be SWTA followed by FIABD.

Last edited by Troublezone on Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Joe Satriani   Best and Worst of Joe Satriani Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 8:43 pm

I have 3 or 4 of his albums and enjoy certain songs on them very much. I guess my favorite is SWTA because I have listened to it the most. He does sound very uncreative at times, like some of his work with Chickenfoot.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Joe Satriani   Best and Worst of Joe Satriani Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 9:26 pm

EmoElmo wrote:
His creative peak was at 'The Extremist', after that, he was pretty much recycling his phrasing and his 'feel'. Kinda like what Malmsteen did after his second album

Even though he relies mostly on the pentatonic box pattern, it's amazing how he can come up with so many variations out of that simple scale, such a shame Kirk Hammett bastardized his technique tho Smile

i agree. I love everything up to The Extremist.

bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Joe Satriani   Best and Worst of Joe Satriani Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 10:24 pm

The Extremist is my favorite, followed by Flying In A Blue Dream.
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Joe Satriani   Best and Worst of Joe Satriani Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 10:40 pm

bassman wrote:
The Extremist is my favorite, followed by Flying In A Blue Dream.

The Extremist was heavy, filled with lots of cool, memorable hooks. 'Surfing' and 'Flying in a Blue Dream' have distinct characters as well, the 1995 s/t was good, but nothing too spectacular. Then how many albums he made after that, 5? 6?...and NOT one song stuck in my head, it was just awfully uninspired.
Back to top Go down
Infinite
Metal student
Metal student
Infinite

Number of posts : 169

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Joe Satriani   Best and Worst of Joe Satriani Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 11:17 pm

My fave is Surfin'. Bought it when it was a new release and listened to it constantly. I know every squeakin', squawkin', whammy divin' note of that album. Love it.

He hasn't released an album yet that I've hated, but some aren't quite as inspired as others. I like the first half of his catalogue more than the second.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Joe Satriani   Best and Worst of Joe Satriani Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 12:00 am

A big Joe Satriani fan. I have a few of releases, but there are lots of holes. Need to get the rest of them. From the one's I do have I'd say Extremist, Crystal and Surfing are great spins. Joe has never really felt compelled to play it safe and has a way of making the guitar sing. I like the way Joe can make you forget that the song doesn't have a singer. Great guitarist. I started with Not of this Earth on cassette back when it was a new release and I've been a fan ever since.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Joe Satriani   Best and Worst of Joe Satriani Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 12:28 am

Joe is one of the most melodic of the "shredder" guitarists, which is why his music interests me more than most of the others from that era.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40554

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Joe Satriani   Best and Worst of Joe Satriani Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 8:29 am

I don't have much by him but I like everything I've heard by the man. I only own Not Of This Earth, Surfing With The Alien, and Dreaming #11. I used to have Flying In A Blue Dream but a crappy boom box I had ruined it and I never replaced it. Gotta add I never had a problem with his singing. Like someone said, Big Bad Moon is an awesome tune.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Joe Satriani   Best and Worst of Joe Satriani Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 9:37 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:

At one time I had one of his later releases that I didn't care for, so I sold it. It was more experimental and not enough shedding wankery. I can't remember what one is was though. I'll have to look it up. I'd recognize the cover.

It was Professor Satchafunkilus and the Musterion of Rock. I got a free promo copy from work when it was a new release. I think I played it through once or twice before dumping it. Probably should have given it a little more time to sink in, but oh well.

I kinda lost respect for him after he ripped off Coldplay. Wink

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Joe Satriani   Best and Worst of Joe Satriani Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best and Worst of Joe Satriani
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next