Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fight vs. Halford

Go down 
+22
7thSaviour
Troublezone
MetalGuy71
mez
scottmitchell74
INVADERS
DallasBlack
Temple of Blood
arttieTHE1manparty
GrandNational
sam
the sentinel
nevermore
assault_attack
manny
mc666
Wargod
Fat Freddy
Lurideath
journeyman
MetalRob331
ultmetal
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Fight vs. Halford - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 1:46 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
The guitar riffs for FIGHT sound like they were written by someone who has played guitar for like 6 months (probably Halford himself I am guessing).

If memory serves, Halford did indeed write the bulk of the WAR OF WORDS material (guitar included) by himself before he even had a full band together. He described himself in an interview around that time as a "frustrated guitar player" who knew just about enough to get by.

But then, on that Fight album he wasn't trying to be a virtuoso... he just wanted to kick some major ass, and that is indeed what he accomplished with WAR OF WORDS IMO 🤘

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 3:49 pm

I think the guitar playing and songwriting on Fight's "War of Words" is great, Rob Halford wasn't trying to make a heavy metal version of Jeff Beck album.

I like that album and every song is great ( expect for that stinker of hidden track " Jesus Saves"), my only criticism of the album is what I stated before, I feel that Rob Halford was very influenced by Pantera on this album, it doesnot sound like Pantera but you can hear bits and pieces of that influence creep in here and there.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 3:52 pm

manny wrote:
I feel that Rob Halford was very influenced by Pantera on this album, it doesnot sound like Pantera but you can hear bits and pieces of that influence creep in here and there.

He was definitely trying to tap into the Pantera groove-train vibe on that first Fight album, that's for sure. Although I like WAR OF WORDS way better than I ever liked most of Pantera's material...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 5:58 pm

Interesting that this thread should come up recently. I just came back from Movie Trading Company and picked up War Of Words along with other stuff.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 11:51 am

I prefer Halford over Fight. When it 1st came out, I didn't care much for Fight. I thought it was ok, but I didn't love it. All of the Halford (band) material has been top notch as far as I'm concerned. Both Fight discs have grown on me, especially since I've put them on my mp3 player and hear them more often.

I owned Two for a brief time, but that Nine Inch Nails stuff ain't my bag and I was kinda bitter towards Rob when he was bagging on metal at the time so I sold it off. I'm glad he's come back around.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17150

PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 12:28 pm

My favorite non Priest Halford song is "Light Comes Out of Black" and i guess War of Words as a album.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 5:11 pm

While I still give the nod to Resurrection, I quite enjoyed War Of Words. Don't really get the Pantera reference but that can be attributed to the fact that the voice is still Halford's. The only song I'd say was a littl annoying was Vicious whith the same phrase repeated throughout most of the song (except for the verses but they were overshadowed by the chorus), but the guitar solo was good enough to not make it a complete dud (another thing is there were customers around when the chorus started being shouted-had to turn it down REAL quick).
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 3:46 pm

Fight 9/10
Halford 10/10
Back to top Go down
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 8:27 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Which of Rob Halford's two solo projects do you prefer? What are your favorite Halford releases outside of Priest?

I'd have to pick "Resurrection" as my favorite. Such a killer record! However, I also love the two Fight albums. Didn't much care for Two.

1. Resurrection
2. War of Words
3. Crucible
4. Small Deadly Space

Not too familiar with Rob Halford's solo stuff heard a few songs like Locked and Loaded which sounded good but with Fight I'm starting to really like Small Deadly Space it's got some good chunky riffs
Back to top Go down
tul
Metal student
Metal student
tul

Number of posts : 234

PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 8:35 pm

For me the best track he did outside Priest is Light Comes Out Of Black.

🤘 🤘

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLynDbUbiAs
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 8:38 pm

[quote="tul"]For me the best track he did outside Priest is Light Comes Out Of Black.

🤘 🤘

Agreed, too bad he only released it on that soundtrack.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 8:48 pm

[quote="Troublezone"]
tul wrote:

🤘 🤘

TZ what soundtrack did he do that song for?
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 8:52 pm

[quote="manny"]
Troublezone wrote:
tul wrote:

🤘 🤘

It was by his band Fight for the (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) soundtrack.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 8:54 pm

[quote="Troublezone"]
manny wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
tul wrote:

🤘 🤘

It was by his band Fight for the (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) soundtrack.

Thanks for the info, bro
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 9:32 pm

I was hoping Rob would release the original "Light Comes out of Black" on the METAL GOD ESSENTIALS VOL. I compilation he put out a year or two ago, but no dice. There is a live version of the track on his LIVE INSURRECTION disc but I'd still like to have the studio version. I believe his backing band on that studio track was Darrell, Rex and Vinnie from Pantera.

I refuse to buy the "Buffy" movie soundtrack just for that one song!

Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 8:56 pm

Halford - Resurrection is such an awesome CD. IMO there is not a bad song on the disc. Live Insurrection is a really good live album as well.
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 9:49 am

JBall_Z wrote:
Halford - Resurrection is such an awesome CD. IMO there is not a bad song on the disc. Live Insurrection is a really good live album as well.
Res. 9/10
LI 10/10
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 9:57 am

LIVE INSURRECTION is better than any of the live material that Judas Priest has put out in their entire career. I'm generally not very big on live albums but that thing SMOKES! 🤘

Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 10:55 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
LIVE INSURRECTION is better than any of the live material that Judas Priest has put out in their entire career. I'm generally not very big on live albums but that thing SMOKES! 🤘
It's a darn great album and I LOVE live albums!
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 11:25 am

I think "Live Insurrection" was faked in the studio, like so many live metal albums are.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 11:27 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
I think "Live Insurrection" was faked in the studio, like so many live metal albums are.

I'm sure much of it was (you kinda have to take anything that says "live" on it with a grain of salt nowadays), but it still smokes!

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 1:03 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

I'm sure much of it was (you kinda have to take anything that says "live" on it with a grain of salt nowadays), but it still smokes!

It definately was, at least portions of it were. It even says so in the liner notes. The song with Halford and Bruce Dickinson ('The One You Love To Hate') was pieced together from a live rehersal or something then crowd noises added. I think there was another mention about another song as well. So if they're partially admitting to some of it, imagine what they did to the rest of it.

Still a good album though. Fight vs. Halford - Page 2 604261

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 1:06 pm

Quote :
I think there was another mention about another song as well.

I think that the "live" version of "Light Comes Out Of Black" was doctored as well... there's something in the liner notes about them playing it during rehearsals/sound checks and then stripping in crowd noise, if memory serves.

KISS did that with "ALIVE III" too...even though "I Was Made For Lovin' You" is on the album they didn't play that track on the REVENGE tour during which that album was taped (though they did play it on the preceding tour for HOT IN THE SHADE)... but apparently they did the same thing, used "I Was Made..." as a warm up/sound check, and mixed in the cheering crowd in post-op.

Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 3:24 pm

Both are good, but I like Halford much better. Resurrection might just be the best album Rob has ever sang on. 🤘
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 4:42 am

I only have Resurrection but I like it much more than the Fight albums. The Fight albums weren't bad IMO but Halford is best doing classic metal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fight vs. Halford
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2