Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fight vs. Halford

Go down 
+22
7thSaviour
Troublezone
MetalGuy71
mez
scottmitchell74
INVADERS
DallasBlack
Temple of Blood
arttieTHE1manparty
GrandNational
sam
the sentinel
nevermore
assault_attack
manny
mc666
Wargod
Fat Freddy
Lurideath
journeyman
MetalRob331
ultmetal
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Fight vs. Halford Empty
PostSubject: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 1:03 pm

Which of Rob Halford's two solo projects do you prefer? What are your favorite Halford releases outside of Priest?

I'd have to pick "Resurrection" as my favorite. Such a killer record! However, I also love the two Fight albums. Didn't much care for Two.

1. Resurrection
2. War of Words
3. Crucible
4. Small Deadly Space

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

Fight vs. Halford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 1:29 pm

War of Words is my favorite of those discs. It is so heavy and just has some killer grooves to it. Resurrection would be a close second.
Back to top Go down

Fight vs. Halford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 1:37 pm

Yeah, War of Words is easily the best, I'd say. Overall, I think the Halford discs are better, only because A Small Deadly Space just doesn't have that same sort of kick the other three have. Still a good album, but the two Halford discs are far better.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

Fight vs. Halford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 1:47 pm

I'd have to go with War of Words. I saw the tour and it rocked. Anthrax and Vince Neil shared the bill and Fight easily beat them both.
Back to top Go down

Fight vs. Halford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 2:06 pm

I've heard all of them (though I don't own any), my favorite was War Of Words. I wasn't listening to metal or collecting it very often during the Halford era.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

Fight vs. Halford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 3:08 pm

I'd go with Resurrection as well. By far his best during his time between Priest.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37868

Fight vs. Halford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 3:14 pm

I love Fight's WAR OF WORDS, that was one of my favorite albums of the 90s. I saw them on that tour and they crushed. However, the follow up Fight disc (SMALL DEADLY SPACE) was a disappointment. If Fight had only released WAR OF WORDS I might have to pick them, however, Halford's RESURRECTION, CRUCIBLE and LIVE INSURRECTION are all fantastic records. Advantage: Halford.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

Fight vs. Halford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 3:34 pm

I go with Halford over Fight. And Resurrection is phenominal!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Fight vs. Halford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 3:39 pm

i'm different than most people i guess, in the fact that i liked both bands 2nd albums best. A Small Deadly Space & Crucible were where the bands really jelled & sounded like they weren't trying to sound like everyone else. all the releases were good though.

i don't have a preference for one band over the other though.

manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Fight vs. Halford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 5:08 pm

I had have to go with Halford over Fight, I really like both bands but Halford is the sound of the man going back and revisting his roots, the Fight albums were very good and interesting but I felt Halford at the time was very influenced by Pantera. Not that is bad thing since " War of Worlds" is a classic, but I felt the band Halford was a better fit for the Metal God.

I actually like Two, I am glad only lasted one album but that was interesting departure and collaboration with Trent Reznor.
Back to top Go down
assault_attack
Metal master
Metal master
assault_attack

Number of posts : 689

Fight vs. Halford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 5:12 pm

1. Resurrection
4. Small Deadly Space (IMHO I thought this cd was great!)
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

Fight vs. Halford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 5:25 pm

I think War Of Words album was great. But overall I think the Halford material was better. So I pick Halford.
Back to top Go down

Fight vs. Halford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 7:30 pm

manny wrote:

I actually like Two, I am glad only lasted one album but that was interesting departure and collaboration with Trent Reznor.

I remember that record! Heard it when I was working at a used CD store, never picked it up but did listen to it several times.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Fight vs. Halford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 7:51 pm

Lurideath wrote:
I'd go with Resurrection as well. By far his best during his time between Priest.

Agreed!!! 🤘
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

Fight vs. Halford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 10:15 pm

I actually liked crucible the best.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Fight vs. Halford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 11:07 pm

Lurideath wrote:

Agreed. I remember getting that in 2000 at work and thinking, "Halford is back!"
Back to top Go down
arttieTHE1manparty
Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

Number of posts : 863

Fight vs. Halford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 12:57 am

Halford DESTROYS Fight, in my opinion. In fact, I think Halford is better than over half of the Priest catalog....

Arttie
Back to top Go down
http://christianmetalrealm.niceboard.com
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Fight vs. Halford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 5:23 am

The guitar riffs for FIGHT sound like they were written by someone who has played guitar for like 6 months (probably Halford himself I am guessing). I never could get over how boring and generic the guitar work was on "War of Words" although his vocals and lyrics were good.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

Fight vs. Halford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 11:49 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
The guitar riffs for FIGHT sound like they were written by someone who has played guitar for like 6 months (probably Halford himself I am guessing). I never could get over how boring and generic the guitar work was on "War of Words" although his vocals and lyrics were good.

I think War of the Words is Halfords best cd. Meaning any cd he has been on..
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Fight vs. Halford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 5:49 am

I don't remember Fight too much, I only heard a few songs (not bad but nothing phenominal as far as I can remember-I need to pick up War of Words and come back to this-I still need to get Crucible also for that matter). I have already made my feelings for Resurrection be known (great album):

Quote :
Resurrection (another one I got rid of-but later got back) was an album that shocked the hell out of me. With Halfords excursion into industrial and his bad mouthing metal I gave up on him ever being metal again. In the spring/summer/fall of 2000 I was living on the U.S.S. George Washington in the middle of the Persian Gulf. The ship store was a regular in my daily scedule (lots of candy bars and beef jerky to offset the crappy midrats-leftover dinner for night shift lunch) and every now and then I would find a CD or DVD that I wanted and I'd get it (Chicago, REO Speedwagon, and other radio friendly albums except two-the first Mullmuzzler album and the one I'm about to mention). One day I saw something that took me totally by suprise:

Fight vs. Halford Cd_halford_sm Halford on a motorcycle and leather! Shocked

The last I remember was Halford abandoning metal and here was a new metal CD from the living legend. Another album I played a lot especially the duet with Bruce.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

Fight vs. Halford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 6:40 am

-1: War of Words
-2: A Small Deadly Space
-3: Crucible
-4: Resurrection
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

Fight vs. Halford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 7:11 am

Of the albums mentioned....I've only heard and own War Of Words. I consider it brilliant, and if something beats it, that must be a great album indeed.
Back to top Go down
mez
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
mez

Number of posts : 375

Fight vs. Halford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 8:56 am

1. Resurrection
2. War of Words
3. Crucible/Voyeur - Two (shared equal greatness)
4. Small Deadly Spaces

Outside of Rock/Metal, I also enjoy Industrial music as well with bands like KMFDM, Ministry, and NIN. So I was very open to Halford's attempt on Two. I agree it may seem odd him in that venue of music, but I think he did a really good job at it. Plus when he released that album it was in the heat of that sound being very popular, and many terrible bands trying to make that sound (the band Orgy for example). So I think his album rose above the crap that was being pushed then.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Fight vs. Halford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 9:08 am

Temple of Blood wrote:

I see it a little different. The riffs are simple and straight-forward. They are not overly compilicated but rather are the type that get your head to banging and your feet to tapping. I don't see "simplistic" as being something that is always bad, and I certainly don't see it as "boring". Sometimes simple is good. You don't have to think about it, you just have to rock! Of course it's all a matter of opinion, but I don't see "War of Words" much different than I see AC/DC, Motorhead or even some Judas Priest. It's not about complicated riffs or superior musicianship, it's just about rockin'.

Last edited by ultmetal on Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Fight vs. Halford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 9:20 am

Handing Out Bullets is one of my very favorite songs Halford has done with any of his bands. the music, vocals & lyrics are all great. that song rocks. Fight vs. Halford 604261

Sponsored content

Fight vs. Halford Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fight vs. Halford   Fight vs. Halford Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fight vs. Halford
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next