Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Comp Swap VI - The Reviews

Go down 
+12
Olafsto
exact33
Required Fields
A Handful of Wayne
SideShowDisaSter
Shiney
kmorg
DallasBlack
manny
rattpoison
tohostudios
SAHB Healer
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 8:42 am

yea I never got that either. The band Shaman did the same thing.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 11:36 pm

ill have a review of what olaf sent me soon! Ive been jamming to it Smile

Alex

Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 10:41 am

exact33 wrote:
ill have a review of what olaf sent me soon! Ive been jamming to it Smile

Alex

And I will post my first review this weekend Alex Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 1:19 pm

Got 3 cds from Dallas and ive had some time to go through these cds to find a lot of power metal bands with a couple of other genres thrown in there as well. Im a big power metal fan but lately I dont know what is with a lot of the bands that are out there. They just dont do it for me like the ones that got me into that sort of music. Even the originals are starting to change and venture out into other territories or add some new touches on their sound. The thing that is really bothering me the most lately and maybe its because Im a drummer but Im sick of hearing programmed drums. Does anyone play drums anymore? Some bands can get away with it because they really bust their butt on mixing and whatever else they do to make it sound good but for a really good majority of them they do a really horrible job and I wish it would end. I dont know maybe they do it because its faster and they dont have to set up drums and set up all the mics or what but I just wish this would stop. It really kills a lot of bands for me and its a shame. I got other problems too with a lot of these bands but drums are like on top of my list haha ok with that all said and done onto the review. Im going to try and not let the programmed drums get to me too much with the reviews but it will be hard.

CD1

1)Alestorm- Captain Morgans Revenge: When this song started I was like WHOA! Already these cds are starting off great. It sounded like Dragonforce almost with the speed and the overall sound of the song then right after the explosion thing the song kind of slowed down and I was a little bummed about that. I really liked the begining part and wish they would have kept it up. When the chorus came in I started liking it again. This band if you cant tell by the title is another Pirate band. I dont know if they can pull off this kind of stuff like Running Wild has done for their entire career but we'll see. I just might check these guys out a little more. If they have more songs like the intro to this one i'll be definetly picking it up.

2)Dragonland- As Madness Took Me: Ive heard of these guys for and always wanted to check them out but never have. I like what I heard in this song. Great catchy chorus, the music is heavy and vocals fit well. Typical power metal stuff and just the way I like it. I'll be looking out for their stuff as well.

3)Allen/Lande- Under The Waves: I own both of these albums and the first one will go down as my all time favorite album. Its like one great song after another. The second album is pretty much the same but for some reason the songs just dont grab my attention like the first album did. This song is from that second album and it is one of the better tracks from it. Both albums are great but the first one is the best. Jorn Lande is an awesome vocalist. Ive tried to hunt down a lot of releases he has been involved with and im almost caught up. Russell Allen from Symphony X is great too but I tend to like the Jorn songs better.

4)Cryonic Temple- When Hell Freezes Over: The vocals ruin the song for me. He almost sounds like Bob Catley from Magnum but not as good. They just dont fit with the song. The music is ok its heavy and it has the typical power metal gallop feel to it but just something doesnt get me. The solo is good though.

5)Rising Faith- Rage: Not a bad song but nothing that I havent really heard before either. Again typical really heavy power metal song. Just nothing new to offer me or to really get me into it. The chorus is almost catchy but then again its not. Its hard to explain. I looked the band up and they already split up. Doesnt surprise me but they werent that bad.

6)Borknagar- Soul Sphere: I always stayed away from this band because I thought they were just the usual death metal growling vocal band, but now I see they arent too bad. A little like Dimmu Borgir I guess. Im not good with this genre of metal because I only listen to Dimmu Borgir, so this band would I guess fit along with them. Cool stuff just might have to check more into them as well.

7)Galloglass-The Conjuring: hmm.... Ive seen this bands cd from time to time but always stayed away from it because it seemed to just be like another band trying to copy Rhapsody but they arent. They are just doing what all the other power metal bands are doing. Nothing really new here but its not bad I like the vocals and the music, decent chorus. They havent released a album since 2003 though and they are supposedly on hold so this will possibly be the last album they will do.

8)James LaBrie- Crucify: Well if you like Dream Theater you already know what your going to get from this song or actually his solo stuff. His solo stuff is actually a lot heavier from Dream Theaters and even the songs are a little better from what Dream Theater has been doing with the last couple of albums or maybe since Images and Words. I have yet to pick up a James LaBrie album because sometimes his vocals just annoy me but since Mike Portnoy isnt doing back ups maybe I should pick up some James LaBrie. I did like this song and its heavy as all hell. I just wish the quality of the song was better. I guess its a low quality MP3. Theres a bunch of that on these discs Sad

9)Amarans Plight- Coming Of Age: Vocalist sounds a lot like Edu Falaschi from Angra and the music sounds a lot like Mob Rules, so if you know those 2 bands thats what you got. Not a bad song. I might check them out a little more. Ok well I just checked them out and I see the vocalist is DC Cooper. Interesting I knew his vocals sounded familiar but I havent heard him sing much except for in Silent Force. DC and Edu are very similar

10)Axxis- Better Fate: I always wondered what this band sounded like now I know and now I can move onto the next song. Is this guy singing through his nose or what? music is ok but nothing special.

11)Edenbridge- On Top Of The World: At first listening to this song I just rolled my eyes and said oh god what is this a soundtrack to a Disney movie? I continued to listen and I actually started getting into it. Nice female vocals, nice chorus despite its disney movie feel a good song. Again another band I have heard of but never felt like checking them out. I just might do that now.

12)Arena- Spectre At The Feast: Yawn!

13)Catamenia- Coldbound: This band sounds a little like old Entwine except for the growling background vocals. Nothing really caught my attention here.

14)Mirador- Phoenix Syndrom: I dont know why but the guitar soloish thing kept bothering. Maybe because they played it over and over to death and oh joy it came back in the song as well! Didnt care for this song.

15)Moonspell- Opium: I thought for some reason I would like this band but hey you cant be right about everything. I like gothic stuff but this just confuses me because the music is almost kind of happyish. No sir...dont like it atleast not this song.

CD2

1)Antithesis- Soul Of Ice: Heres another band that has split up. Whats with these bands quitting? Anyway...Not a bad song actually reminds me a little of Iced Earth in a way from their earlier albums without Barlow. Not a bad song but nothing that would make me check them out more.

2)Domain- Stardawn: woooooooo...organs creepy. The song took about 2 minutes too long to start it just kept repeating the same thing over and over but built on it each time. I guess thats ok but come on get the song started will ya! Well maybe I should take that back because the rest of the song isnt any better. The vocalist bothers me a little but he does have some versatility. Hes sounded like a couple of different people to me. The chorus is bad because it sounds almost exactly like "Youth Gone Wild" by Skid Row. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more if it actually did do that. Meh.. Next song...

3)Seventh Omen- Another: Interesting, sounds like old school Overkill but the vocals are completely different and I think thats what once again kills the song for me. They arent bad but they just dont fit with the music. Guess what....This band split up too lol! ugh....

4)Theatre Of Tragedy- Velvet Darkness They Fear: Just like Theatre Of Tragedy I fear Velvet Darkness too. The whole "Beauty and the Beast" bands just dont do it for me anymore, mostly because I dont like the "Beast" vocals but in this case I dont like either.

5)Dawnrider- When Our Troop Unite: Disc 2 isnt really happening as much as Disc 1. I just dont like this band. The music sounds so programmed its annoying. Its not really a good song either.

6)Amarans Plight- Coming Of Age: See Disc 1

7)Empire-The Altar:For some reason I thought this band would have been different but I guess I was thinking of another band either way once again a little let down. I just couldnt get into this one. Its a typical power metal song. Nothing new.

8)Novembers Doom- Autumn Reflection: Finally not a bad song. I thought this band was more of a death metal band though. This is a lot different. This is more of a gothic/doom song. Heavy thick guitars vocals are decent atleast they fit with the music and makes for a cool song. Hmmm what about the rest of their songs?.....

9)Carcass- Heartwork: Ive been seing this bands albums all over the place lately becaue of the rereleases and I always have them in my hand and ready to buy them but for some reason I just put them back. Maybe eventually I will just pick them up because they are actually pretty good. This song reminds me a little of Kreator in a way especially for the chorus because its almost identicle to "People Of The Lie".

10)Dominici- School Of Pain: Ahhhh.... so this is what you sound like 20 years after When Dream And Day Unite.... I know this guy has done things between this time but still I never went out of my way to check it out. The begining of this song sounds like something off Judas Priest Nostradameus album. Then it kicks into something really heavy. Double bass, heavy guitars, oh and then theres the keyboards. His vocals dont sound anything like they used to he actually sounds a lot better and the song is pretty cool. I'll be on the look out for these albums. Ive been wanting to get them but for some reason like a lot of things I just put it down. Maybe I should stop doing that.

11)Mullmuzzler- Shores Of Avalon: Well hello Mr. LaBrie nice to hear from you again. I heard this song when it first came out. Again if you know Dream Theater then you know what your getting just a lot heavier.

12)Immortal Souls- Love Demise: Heard of Sentenced? Well basically here you go. If you liked the first couple of Sentenced albums and missed the Death Metal vocals after they completely gotten rid of them then you'll like this band. The music is dead on Sentenced but more with their newer style except the vocals give you the best of both worlds. hmmm... Interesting.

13)Allen/Lande- Hunters Night: How did you Know this was one of my favorite songs off their 2 albums? You must know me too well. HERE SHE COMES CHASING AFTER YOUR POOR SOUL!

14)Axenstar- Requiem: Cool! This cd ended on a good note. Sounds a little like Elvenking vocal wise atleast. Very power metal song quick and too the point. Good Stuff!

Ok The last cd is of 3 different bands. Ive heard of each of them but dont own anything so we'll see if that can change. Here we go......

CD3

Balance Of Power

1)Book Of Secrets: Now I like Lance Kings vocals but ive only heard him in Pyramaze and he was awesome. With this band it seems like he pulls a little back with what he did with Pyramaze. Not a bad song though.

2)Do You Dream Of Angels: A much slower song. Same thing as the song above not a bad song but Lance doesnt do these songs any justice.

3)Day Breaker: This one is a little better. This band reminds me a lot of Labyrinth from "Return To Heaven Denied" era.

4)About To Burn: Im loosing more and more interest with each song. They just dont have "THAT" sound I like.

5)Higher Than The Sun: Ah here we go. this one is a little more progressive and heavier than the previous ones. Decent chorus too.

6)One Voice: Not a bad song. I like the chorus on this one as well.

All in all not a bad band but they just didnt do it for me so I doubt I will check more into them. Although I did notice that Lance King is no longer with them so maybe they are different?

Jacobs Dream

7)Kinescope: If I had my eyes closed for one second I would have thought the vocalist was Bruce Dickenson but a couple more lines then that disappears but he holds on his own. Decent vocalist. Cool song. I like this a lot more than Balance Of Power.

8)Scape Goat: Cool song I like the heavyness of it.

9)Sanctuary: Its funny how this is a newer song from the previous too yet its not as heavy and what made me like the band. Its not bad but its missing the heavyness.

10)The Warning: eh... They had me with the first 2 songs but the last 2 not as much.

Decent band but as the songs went on the likeability went down. Maybe im just not in a power metal mood?

Seventh Avenue

11)A Step Between The Worlds: At first I thought ok well this will end on a bad note but then it picked up a lot and im liking it. This song actually reminds me of something off of one of the first Nocturnal Rites albums. Cool speed metal!

12)Burning Heart: Wow this song starts off like a 80's metal anthem haha. Thats cool though im liking this band. Cool 80's chorus as well. I hate saying 80's this or 80's that but thats kind of what it is but in a good metal way.

13)Raging Fire: The vocals seem a little more rough on this one but still good. Almost sort of like Iron Savior. not a bad song.

14)Infinite King: Wow another song that sounds so damn old but yet it was released is 2004 haha. I like stuff like this! Great way to end the compilation. Definetly a band I will be looking more of.
Well thats it. Some of it was painful to get through but for the most part there were a couple of bands that I will be looking more into. Thanks a lot Dallas. Hope I wasnt too rough on the bands you like haha.
[/font][/font]

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 7:32 pm

Olaf and I did a swap of 3 cd comps. As my second time around doing this at HoM I enjoyed it again a lot. I think Olafsto did a great job on putting the songs in order. There are several bands I really want to get here so for me it was well worth it. Thanks for the hard work Olafsto!

Disc one:
01. HARDLINE - Dr. Love
I really like hardline and Dr Love is one of the best efforts. Double Eclipse as an album doesnt get the credit it deserves. If you like AOR and you havent heard these guys your missing out.

02. TURISAS - A portage to the unknown
It took me owning this cd twice to get it but I now love this band. I think it is verging on masterpiece level for Varangian Way. Its catchy, gets your blood pumping and the vocals are awesome...

03. CRUACHAN - The gael
I love the playing on this song. The celtic influence is catchy. The vocals are too bland for my tastes (although to be fair I am not a huge female vocals fan)

04. BRITNY FOX - Long way to love
80s metal galore! I am getting more and more into it and these guys are towards the top of my list.

05. SISTER SIN - Beat the street
This song doesnt do anything for me. I know they are gaining in popularity but its rehash of older music imho.

06. POISONBLACK - Left behind
I love sentenced. I love the first 2 Poisonblack releases but their latest leaves me flat. It lacks energy and really doesnt combine the fast paced music with the depressive lyrics like they did on the previous 2 efforts. Left Behind is probably the best effort on a very weak effort. It is the most Sentenced sounding effort since that wonderfully dead band died...

07. SINNER - Revolution
Bluesy metal. and well done. I like sinner (although I own none of their stuff) and song has it all - attitude, great vocals and high octane guitars.

08. SEVENTH WONDER - Unbreakable
I am on the fence on this band. I really want to love them but the music (and this track illustrates it) are just keyboardy. It relies too much on the keys for my taste which kills the music.

09. ALMAH - Magic flame
angra part 3. I like it though. Rebirth was my fav Angra cd and Almah brings a lot of those elements back. this is a fun song. Its power metal influences are helloween and it is easy to tell. lots of fun though.

10. MANTIC RITUAL - One by one
Thrash! I like this track. It has all the elements of classic thrash - the angry shouts, the buzzing, the drums and a little chugga chugga. Good stuff.

11. GARY MOORE - All i want
Way too 80s sounding for me. I dont really care for the vocals either. All I think of with this track is Huey Lewis Smile

12. IAN HUNTER - The outsider
A nice bluesy ballad. I need to hear more of this guy. he has a great voice.

13. BLACKLACE - Call of the wild
Holy 80s metal batman! The music is good standard fare for 80s metal but the vocals are a little grating...

14. PROTOTYPE - Seed
Prototype is what Seventh Wonder should try to be like. The music is progressive but powerful. I have always wished the vocals for prototype were so high pitched. Listening to a whole cd can get a little daunting at times. This is a fun track.

15. THE ALMIGHTY - Destroyed
Early 90s metal galore. I have not heard this band but i like them. Its typical early 90s metal but it rocks. I love the solo. you forget sometimes just how cool it was to make that guitar wail!

DISC 2
01. TNT - SEVEN SEAS
TNT is one of those bands that gets lost in the shuffle for me. I like them but never really listen to them. Seven Seas is a great song. I really ought to listen to them more often...

02. DROPKICK MURPHYS - ROLL CALL
03. DROPKICK MURPHYS - BLOOD AND WHISKEY
I love grave digger vocals and these are very close. the addition of celtic chorus parts is interesting. this is one band that merits some attention.

04. UDO - THE LAND OF THE MIDNIGHT SUN
this may be heretical but UDO doesnt do much for me.

05. HYBRID - INSTITUTIONALIZED
another song that is ok but doesnt do a whole lot for me. The vocals sound very monotonous...

06. ANUBIS GATE - SANCTIFIED
Anubis Gate is one of those bands who when I was all over power metal didnt fit in. Now that I am loving prog stuff more their stuff rocks! I love the power prog elements. I am waiting on this cd to come from Sentinel Steel (having already gotten their other 2)...

07. HIGHLAND GLORY - SPIRIT OF SALVATION
I sort of liked their debut From Cradle to the Brave but Forever Endeavor lost me. This band seems pretty bland to me now. The song is well done sonically but not very inspired...

08. WHITE LION - BATTLE OF LITLE BIG HORN
I recently got White Lions back catalog off swapacd and have been interested in getting return of the pride. I have heard a lot of stuff back and forth but this song tilts me in favor of getting it. Its a lot different than their previous material but I like it.

09. TYR - SINKLARS VISA
For my tastes TYR spend too much time chanting than playing metal. I love Ensiferum, turisas but TYR just doesnt get it done for me.

10. ARTCH - ANOTHER RETURN
The sound on this track was pretty awful. I could hardly hear it and it didnt sound good at higher volume. Ill have to review it when I can hear it better.

11. WUTHERING HEIGHTS - BEAUTIFOOL
WH is one of the bands I like to listen to once and awhile. Great prog metal. The only thing is their drum sound is hollow sounding. I love the chorus parts.

12. CRYSTAL BALL - HE CAME TO CHANGE THE WORLD
good old fashioned hard rock. slick chorus and a throaty vocalist. Its pretty standard fare but it is well done. I would compare them to Gotthard.

13. CLOUDSCAPE - CLOAC & DAGGERS
Cloudscape is too proggie for my tastes. I think all the progginess in their metal takes away from the overall songs. I think the songs just never go anywhere. cloac and Daggers is a great example. It feels flat to me.

14. DIGNITY - ARROGANCE AND RAPTURE
Hard rock that is well done with keys. I love this band. They sound very similar to other hard rock/AOR bands but they do it to perfection. If you like Gotthard, HEAT and maybe even Brother Firetribe this is a great band.

DISC 3

01. SCYCLAD - EMERALD (Thin Lizzy tribute)
I am not a big TL fan but this song rocks. I might have to spend more time getting acquainted with this band and the remake.

02. BLACMORES NIGHT - VILLAGE LANTERN
I really like this song. I have not been a big fan of female vocals but this is a great song and a very nice change of pace. I have not been a big BN fan but this is a good effort.

03. MAGNUM - HOW FAR JERUSALEM
I have been meaning to check out magnum for ages and it seems all the new stuff gets in the way. I really need to sit down and do it. I like this song and suspect I will like this band as well.

04. SCARIOT - MONOPOLIZE (Oddleif from COMMUNIC on vocals)
I love communic and this is a good stuff. It is on my list of stuff to check out.

05. BLACKMORES RAINBOW - HALL OF THE MOUNTAIN KING
This is an ok song. It doesnt do a whole lot for me.

06. EMPIRE - THE RAVENS RIDE
for some reason this song doesnt really do a lot for me. It just doesnt seem to have the energy and power that it really needs.

07. WITCHHAMMER - TRANSYLVANIA
I like this song. The vocalist has a great range (and reminds me a little of rob rock at times) and the music is very well done. Its mid-pace crunch is complimented very well with the vocals. Sometimes i think bands who live in the mid-paced area get boring but i could really see myself enjoying this bands other material.

08. NUCLEAR BLAST ALLSTARS - ETERNALLY (Oddleif again)
Ok i still love Communic but this one does nothing for me.

09. AYREON - YE COURTYARD MINSTREL BOY
10. AYREON- SAIL AWAY TO AVALON
Ayreon is one of those bands I have really really tried to get into. These tracks are well done and I did enjoy them but 2 tracks from them is about my tolerance Smile

11. TALISMAN - FALLING
I love this song. Its epic, triumphant and thundering. I need to check this group out.

12. PARCHE - WHEN THE CHILDREN CALL
This track rocks! Fast shredding galore and catchy chorus. This is a what make me love music. I was not aware of this band at all but am now. Great stuff.

13. TOKYO BLADE - WARRIOR OF THE RISING SUN
Bluesy hard rock. Its ok but it seems like its been done a zillion times.

14. THE KILLIGANS - SANTY ANNO
Celtic punk with pipes, flutes and a drummer that is a madman. I love the Electrics and this band reminds me a lot of them. I really would like to hear their whole cd.

15. JORN - WE BROUGHT THE ANGELS DOWN
I will say it first - I really like Jorn. In Masterplan. I think Jorn solo stuff is ok. I really think his solo stuff, and this song is included, is missing something. this song has the metal parts, the soaring vocals that makes Jorn popular but it is not as exciting as his Masterplan stuff.

16. BOB CATLEY - JUDGEMENT DAY
Very well done AOR. this song has it all - the acoustic start, the big hard rock intro from acoustic, soaring vocals and large chorus parts. Great stuff.

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 10:42 pm

First set of notes for PRD (I don't have enough time for all my replies). You might have been harsh on some of your comments, but I've heard much worse said about albums I like. Onto the music:

The vocalist of Axxis is akin to Grave Digger's vocalist, it is an aquired taste. I, myself was unsure of the vocals when I first listened them. You and Toho both describe it as nasally. However, I really don't thing thats it. To me his voice is very raspy (like Steve Walsh on Kansas-Somewhere To Elsewhere). Toho mentioned that they would be better with a different vocalis but seeing as they have had the same vocalist in their 20+ year history that probably won't happen.

Nobembers Doom is a death/doom metal (more death on later albums than doom). They started out as similar to My Dying Bride and early Parasise Lost but went in a more death direction but keeping the doom elements. That particular song is a ballad of sort on The Pale Haunt Departure (which contains more death metal than clean vocals-though they do have those).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 10:50 pm

Quote :
I think it is verging on masterpiece level for Varangian Way.

Agree!

Quote :

15. JORN - WE BROUGHT THE ANGELS DOWN
I will say it first - I really like Jorn. In Masterplan. I think Jorn solo stuff is ok. I really think his solo stuff, and this song is included, is missing something. this song has the metal parts, the soaring vocals that makes Jorn popular but it is not as exciting as his Masterplan stuff.

Also agree almost 100%. Depending on the material Jorn is either the best metal vocalist ever(Masterplan, Avantasia, Allen/Lande), or very so-so.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 2:50 am

Second set of notes for PRD:

For me the vocalist for Cryonic Temple is what I liked most about it. I feel he is a mix of Grave Digger's vocalist and Rolf "Rock'n'Rolf" Kasparek. You might want to check out their new one seeing that they have a new vocalist.

Borknagar is a sort of black metal supergroup. Øystein Brun, who did guitar for a death metal band called Molested, started Borknagar who got together Infernus of Gorgoth, Erik Brodreskift of Immortal/Enslaved, and Kristoffer Rygg of Ulver/Head Control System/Arcturus. Other members who have been in the band have come from Arcturus, Dimmu Borgir, and Solefald. The song you heard was from the first album with Vintersorg (their best vocalist IMO-his black metal voice is sort of generic but his clean vocals are better than most in that genre) who has his own band. Unlike most black metal bands, they stay away from the satanic stuff and the melody is driven by the guitars and accented by the keyboards.

Amaran's Plight is a side project from Shadow Gallery's Gary Wehrkamp. Didn't realize I put it on there twice.

The Edenbridge song is just an upbeat songs (like Helloween sometimes does), their other music is quite different. I might just send you a sampler CD of them (I have all but one of their albums).

Catamenia is one of Finland's most acclaimed black metal bands. Not something I listen to often but on the album I have (their latest) they remind me of a black metal version of Children Of Bodom.

That particular Moonspell song is from one of their lighter album. You might like the debut and latest albums. I'll send you some more with the Edenbridge samples.

More notes on the comps later.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 6:08 am

exact33 wrote:

10. ARTCH - ANOTHER RETURN
The sound on this track was pretty awful. I could hardly hear it and it didnt sound good at higher volume. Ill have to review it when I can hear it better.

07. WITCHHAMMER - TRANSYLVANIA
I like this song. The vocalist has a great range (and reminds me a little of rob rock at times) and the music is very well done. Its mid-pace crunch is complimented very well with the vocals. Sometimes i think bands who live in the mid-paced area get boring but i could really see myself enjoying this bands other material.

Artch are worth a second try, if you ask me. They are one of the most underrated classic metal acts, ever!

Witchhammer are/were a thrash metal band, so if you're "afraid" of mid-paced boredom, you might like the rest of their material even better.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 9:08 am

Last set of notes for PRD:

Since you like the first two Jacob's Dream songs you'd like the s/t debut. Almost every Jacob's Dream fan believes that it's the best one.

The last two songs from Balance Of Power that you actually liked is from my favorite album Perfect Balance and those songs are a prime example of the rest of the album (I'll throw in a few more songs from that to see if your opinion changes).

In regards to Seventh Avenue, the song Burning Heart is a cover of a Survivor song that was featured on Rocky IV.

On the Allen/Lande songs, I had no idea that you had those albums (couldn't find it on your site) but Hunter's Night is my favorite from the debut as well.

Also on the Moonspell song, each album of theirs is different and the two I will send samples of are their darkest IMO.

Because you didn't like the female vocalist on Theatre Of Tragedy, you would NOT like Leaves' Eyes (even though the beast vocals are sparce).

As far as the sound quality, I just rip the CDs to my hard drive. However, a while back my old computer screwed up on me so I had to get a new computer and in order for me not have to go through my CDs all over again (which would take way too long) I had the place I bought my new one, do a data transfer (they had to put them on DVD-Rs and then add them. That is why some of the songs are probably off.

I'm glad I was able to introduce some bands to you PRD. I really didn't include a lot of my A material because quite frankly...you already have most of it. Those were the ones you didn't have. Your CDs are comming along nicely. You have quite a bit of stuff I want to explore further. Anyways I wll try to scourge up some more stuff you might like more. I'll PM you with the bands so you can let me know which ones you already heard but didn't like.

The thing about these comps and something I learned from all my time on HOM is that it is impossibe to pinpoint people's tastes. It seems that if someone likes band A and band B, they'd like band C. However, they sometimes can't stand band C. That is why I like to do multiple discs on comps because there's a better chance for the darts to hit the target. Thats what makes us all different though. There is no such thing as a movie, TV show, cartoon, song, band, album, food, or experience that everybody enjoys or enjoys in the same way. To paraphrase Abraham Lincoln: You can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not please all of the people all of the time.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 9:48 am

So here it is, my write-up for the compilation CD’s Ben (Sideshow) sent me. He dubbed them “Kurt’s Thrash ‘N’ Go Compilation”, and knowing Ben’s absurd fascination with all things thrash metal, I pretty much knew what I was in for. Now, I see myself as pretty much updated on all things metal, and thrash included; but Ben managed to pull out stuff which I haven’t heard music from in 95% of the cases. Heck, I don’t even think I’ve heard of the bands in 70% of the cases here. So here we go, prepared to GET THRASHED!

CD1:

1. Carbide (USA) – Total Impact

I had never even heard of the opening act here. However, the great intro quickly gathered my full attention. This is Bay Area thrash metal mixed with speed metal. Imagine a cross between Testament and Agent Steel. I think I even hear some Iron Maiden influences in the bass playing? Fast and relentless, and a solid opening tune.

2. Depressive Age (Germany) – Beyond Illusions

I have heard the name of this band. And what a great song! It reminds me of the older material from Annihilator, blending speed metal, thrash metal, and melody. Old Angel Dust might also be a good comparison. The vocals might take some getting used to, but he does have a fine melodic approach that I like. Killer riffs, a lethal guitar tone, and a very cool but quirky solo; what’s not to like? One of my favorites from the first disc.

3. Genetic Wisdom (Holland) – Inside The Triangle (Of Death)

Another totally unfamiliar band. Genetic Wisdom plays thrash metal, of course, and the slightly more technical side of the genre. Nuclear Assault, Believer and Sacrifice (Can) comes to mind. Especially the vocals are of the shouted clean variety that Nuclear Assault used to have. Another great tune that makes me want to hear more from this band.

4. Gladiator (Slovakia) – Mortal Glare

Yet another unfamiliar band, this time from Slovakia. Not exactly the cradle of thrash metal movement. Gladiator sounds very much like a young Sepultura, right down to the Max-ish vocals. This is high quality death/thrash metal, with a production that let’s all the instruments be heard. Apparently, the band jumped on the Grunge wagon after two album in the death/thrash style. Today they are creating hard rock, sung in their native language! I think I’ll stick to the Sepultura worship, thank you very much!

5. Razor (Canada) – Meaning Of Pain

Finally, a band I’ve heard off! Razor is a cult act, with a solid following. I actually have the album this is from in mp3 format, but have yet to buy this speed/thrash metal piece of art. This is the sound so many of the new thrash meal acts are striving to achieve. Aggressive music, venomous spitting vocals and neck breaking speed. These are the originals, and the best!

6. Riff Raff (Germany) – Melissa

Riff Raff sounds vocally much the same as Razor. But the music is a bit more melodic. Still, this is yet another speed/thrash metal constellation. I’m somewhat amazed that so many of the songs on this CD are from the 90’s, and even mainly from the grunge period. This song if from 1993, but sounds like it was recorded at least 5 years earlier. Riff Raff didn’t take them selves too seriously, but were mostly creating fun music, with goofy lyrics. That didn’t set them back one bit, because this is yet another solid act.

7. Channel Zero (Belgium) – No Light (At The End Of The Tunnel)

Imagine a heavier Anthrax, the Belladonna era, and you might know what Channel Zero sound like. Another favorite from this first compilation CD, this band delivers the goods. Blistering no-frills thrash metal with matching “clean” vocals. This is what thrash metal was all about for me. It’s aggressive, but never compromising the melody.

8. Amnesia (UK) – Memories Of Me

A familiar name, but that is all. Amnesia delivers the slowest track, so far, but this is still thrash!. I’d liken them to Testament on Practice What You Preach, or maybe Souls Of Black. The vocals remind me a little of a local band, called Loaded. Not the most memorable song here though.

9. Mystrez (Holland) – Intro: Voices / Schizophrenia

More Annihilator anno 1988! At least the intro gave me that feeling. I’ve never even heard the name of this band. And it didn’t take me long to figure out that this is from the deep undergrounds within the thrash metal movement. The Annihilator vibes stops when the vocals kick in. The riffs are effective, albeit a bit generic. I can’t seem to really put my finger on it, but these guys reminds me of many bands, but I can’t name one. So I guess they are a mix of all thrash metal clichés.

10. Vomitory (Germany) – F.T.A.

In name, this could just as easily have been a death metal act. However, Vomitory from Germany is playing a British thrash metal for. Seventh Angel and Sabbat comes to mind. Even the production reminds me of those bands. I gotta hand it to Sideshow, he’s done a great job picking bands I am unfamiliar with, but at the same time stuff that really deserves the attention.

11. Caustic (Switzerland) – Rape And Murder

I feel like I’m repeating myself here. And I haven’t even finished the first disc yet! Caustic also reminds me a little of Sabbat, but not all the way through. And this Swiss band doesn’t have the same production values. They have a garage sound, and the bass is heavily upfront in the mix. This song is from the bands EP, released in 1992. Galloping thrash metal, with raspy, aggressive vocals is what we get here.

12. Damien Breed (Germany) – The Sign

This was a little bit different. Not sure I’ll call it thrash metal through and through, but rather some mid-paced power metal, with thrash metal leanings. The singer is very raw sounding, and must really be an acquired taste of sorts. The song is also build around some simplistic riffs, but it changes all the time, and refuses to stand still. A little hard to get into, but also a fresh breath on this CD.

13. Eldritch (Japan) – Infection

This song I was looking forward to. I’m familiar with the name here, as I’ve heard about the band on numerous occasions, thanks to Saxon and Sideshow. Not to be confused with the Italian band by the same name, Eldritch is a Japanese thrash metal band. Both bands have quite similar logos too, but that is a distraction. There’s some blistering guitar-work of “Infection”, and the overall sound gives me the feeling of the old school of thrash metal, you know, before the genre even had a name. The vocals might leave a little to be desired, but at least you won’t get bothered with the accent, as the words are impossible to tell apart! Haha The sound is updated though. An interesting song, but I was hoping for more, I guess.

14. Darklin Reach (USA) – Impact And elegance

Yet another totally unfamiliar name. It’s almost embarrassing how little I know of the underground thrash metal scene. Ben: You are the king! Hehe I should have known about this band though, if not by chance, at least by default. None other than Jon Oliva and Steve Wacholz, of Savatage fame, produced their one and only album! However, expect nothing close to their main band, because these guys deliver Slayer-esq thrash metal, albeit with a more melodic soloing approach. The vocals are coarse, but very understandable, and fitting to the galloping music.

15. LawShed (Japan) – Go It Blind

Second Japanese band here, and these guys are even heavier. They have a very raw sound, and the vocalist sounds more like he should be in Grave Digger than a thrash metal band. The music is a little bit on the hardcore side of things, but still very much rooted in the Bay Area influenced end of the spectrum. A nice end to the first disc, but not the most memorable tune.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 6:30 pm

Cool Dallas! Yea man if you want to trade some more I'll definetly make you up some more too because there is a lot more that I didnt put on cds because I didnt want to over burden you or burn you out with all the different bands. I like all sorts of genres so throw whatever you want on them. Let me know what you wanna do!

Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 6:41 pm

Woohoo! Looks like Disc One I sent to Kurt was a complete success! Can't wait to see what you think of the next two! I really tried hard to pull out all the stops and go for stuff you had either never heard or never even heard of.

BTW, if you liked that first tune on the disc from Carbide, PUT THAT DISC ON YOUR WANTLIST!! It SLAYS!

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 7:18 pm

Be glad I'm not involved, my compilations have known to cause mass confusion in lab mice.

lol!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 7:27 pm

detuned wrote:
Be glad I'm not involved, my compilations have known to cause mass confusion in lab mice.

lol!

ghost blew up after getting mine from last year Smile

Alex

manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 7:29 pm

My comps have gone over like a led ballon
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 9:47 pm

Okay I had to take some time to digest DB's comp, but alas here is what I think...

ANATHEMA--Restless Oblivion

I remember listening to Anathemas Eternity album in highschool and I thought it was fairly cool, I enjoyed the somber/gothic feel of it as I was heavily into Christian Death at the time. This track is off one of their more mettalic albums I reckon because it had this catchy doomy riff at the opening after a slight instrumental passage as well as borderline death metal at times. pretty cool, besides a really annoying chorus.

DAATH--Subterfuge

Daath sounds like half death half metalcore to me, with a almost punk vibe on this song. awesome leads. Daath was a band that I have been meaning to check out but never really got around to.

CRYONIC TEMPLE--Eternal Flames of Metal

This song is awesome!!!!!!!!! truly the anthem of every metal head. At first I didnt know what to think of the vocalist as I was expecting some helium high vox. I remember saying to myself when listening to the first verse: "who does this Cryonic temple f*** think he is". But when that amazing chorus comes in I couldnt think of a better vocalist to sing those lines. 2nd fav song on the comp. The guitar at the opening reminds me alot of Freedom Call's first album.

ALESTORM--Over the seas

Aye, pass the rum mate! Rad pirate themed powermetal from ireland. The rhythm guitar tone is a little weird and it seems like the lead guitarist uses an arpeggio like every two secs but the vocalist has a great voice considering the theme of the music. good lyrics too.

JAMES LABRIE--Slightly out of reach

Only band on the comp I have never even heard of, I know he's done work with Shadow Gallery bcause DB burnt a shadow gallery mix along with this comp. Great voice with some quality guitar solos.

Kamelot--Forever

powermetal with heavy riffs. I cant really remember much of the song, but a really great keyboard line towards the ending. Every once in a while the vocalist reminds me of Jimmy P. Brown.

MOONSPELL--Full moon madness

sweet song title! Full moon madness starts off with some wolfs howling in the distance along with some almost folk guitars, overall pretty creepy sounding. The vocalist has a eastern european accent. I think the song would be a little more enjoyable if the verses were in english but still a pretty cool song.

GRAVE DIGGER--Liberty or death

another powermetal piece, radical riffs with another heavy european accented singer. I dont know, something about the song didnt grab me like I thought Grave Digger would considering the street cred the band has.

RISING FAITH--Fight to the brocken

Fight to the brocken sports some catchy riffs alongside a catchy chorus its just I sound like a idiot when trying to sing along....whats a brocken anyways? Good solo in the middle of the song. The drummer is mucho greato as well.

THUNDERSTONE--until we touch the burning sun

opens up with a synth melody then comes a crunchy riff and then some sweet keyboard work. the lyrics are really good but unfortunately the vocalist isnt that great IMO.

The Showdown--We die young

uh...okay think positive vibes. This was the only song I thought about hitting the skip button. Showdown is metalcore no doubt. The vocalist is annoying, and the lyrics are annoying all in my opinion of course. One redeeming factor is the guitarwork, the solos add a almost old school flavor the the song.

Symphony X--Set the world on fire

The only song that I have heard before on the comp, Russel allan's vocals seem a tad more angrier during the verses than some of the other symphony X material. the song is pretty aggressive for a progressive metal song which is really cool, I think alot of prog bands are built upon perfection and dont take the time to just rip everyonce in a while. The chanting at the end fits well in the fade out...I dig stuff like that!

Running Wild--Fight the fire of hate

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! seriously this is my fav song on the comp. a song off the best RW album "black hand inn" this is just pure old school heavy/power metal with an incrediably catchy sweep riff.

BRAINSTORM--inside the monster

cool opener riff, the chorus can be a little irritating but other than that another choice powermetal piece. The lyrics are fairly decent too.

All in all, the comp provided me with a few bands I thought were interesting so thank you for that DB!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 10:04 pm

manny wrote:

Oh piffle, you're as old as I am...I thought that was a great selection of tunes! Many favorites of mine on there.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 10:39 pm

Glad you liked most of the comp Stender. However, I have one little complaint. I cannot for the life of my understand why people call Temptation era Showdown metalcore. There is very little if any metalcore on that album. There is no faux thrashing on that album (more along the lines of 80s melodic metal IMO) and the vocalist actually sings, no screaming (there is one song that has a little but not the one song I sent). You're entitled to you opinion but calling that song metalcore is just something I can't fathom (for the record, I dislike most metalcore myself).

James LaBrie is the vocalist for Dream Theater BTW.

Looking forward to your comp.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 6:01 am

OK, here we go, round one of my my comp swap review.
First, thanks for your review of my comp Alex. Glad you liked most of it, I`ll come back with a little info on some of the tracks/bands.
This is my third comp swap, and i love it, great way to be turned on, or off, to new bands. If i like the comps, i keep them in my car and play them ever now and then. They useually cause a little too much spending though..
Alex`s discs has already turned me on to lots of great stuff!

DISC 1.
01. Korpilklaani - Northern Fall
I love some Folk in my Metal!!! Stragely enough i haven`t gotten around to check out this Finnish band before. That will change now, GREAT song. Very catchy stuff.

02. House of Lords - I Don`t Wanna Wait All Night
James Christian is one of my favorite vocalists, outstanding!!
This is a great track from their latest album, havent bought it yet but it`s on my list. Straight Hard Rock like this doesn`t get much attention from the press and public, but I love it!!

Alestorm - Over the Seas
This is one of the more exiting new Power Metaal bands around, already own this album, good stuff.

04. Moon Safari - Doorway
Hmm never heard of them, Prog Rock is not favorite genre. Song starts off nicely enough, but as a lot of Prog songs it seems to go on forever, and i`m lost halfway through.

05. Airbourne - Runnin`wild
Lot of hype around this band, but i`m new to them..
This track definitely leaves me wanting moore, will check them out,
I see why they are compared to AC/DC, But they don`t sound like a copy to mee.

06. Keldian - The Last Frontier
Shocked This band is from Norway??
Never heard of them..... But this is a great song!! Love it..

07. Line of Fire - Live & Let Go
Great song, but the vocalist sounds plain aweful...... just kidding
Never heard LoF, but this is right up my alley, so i may have to buy this one too.

08. Signal to Noise Ratio - Centryfuga
A whole album of this would have made me suicidal.. Skip

09. The Poodles - Seven Seas
Another hyped band i havent gotten around to check out yet..
Perfect after the last track, I wanna live again Smile ..
Extremely catchy, don`t know how much staying power it has, but definitely worth looking in to..

10. Spellblast - Lost in the Forest
More Power Metal, this song has everything i want in Euro PM song, good clean vocals, a little bit of keys, some Folk and symphonic elements, catchy chorus..
Off to the want list..

11. Serenity - The Heartblood Symphony
A little more progressive sounding Power Metal.
I`m also a huge fan of this style of music, a good song that makes me wanna look into this band.

12. Lonewolf - Divine Art of Lies
Oh yeah, Heavy Metal with vocals you either love or hate i guess..
I love it, nothing groundbreaking but a good song. Running Wild and maybe Gravedigger comes to mind

13. Leverage - Follow Down That River
Finland. So much great Metal from that Country!!
Another band that has been on my to check out list a long time.
Pekka Heino is a great singer!!! A very very good song.

14. Kingfisher Sky - Hallway of Dreams
Beatiful female vocals, music is in Within Temptation land, not my favorite genre, but a good listen if i`m in the right mood..

15. Seventh Avenue - Betrayal
More Power Metal, never heard this band. Great song this one too, very catcy.
There are thousands of bands in this genre, and they may lack something that seperates them from the crowd. But still good listen.

To be continued...............
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 9:18 am

Funny, I' d heard others say nothing separates Seventh Avenue from the rest. However, I think the vocalist's thick accent gives his vocals a certain gen es say qua not heard in other bands (granted, I haven't heard every sing power metal band in existance-but as you said, there are thousands of them and I doubt there is anyone whose heard them all). Thats just me though.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 10:24 am

DallasBlack wrote:
Funny, I' d heard others say nothing separates Seventh Avenue from the rest. However, I think the vocalist's thick accent gives his vocals a certain gen es say qua not heard in other bands (granted, I haven't heard every sing power metal band in existance-but as you said, there are thousands of them and I doubt there is anyone whose heard them all). Thats just me though.

Ever heard a German singer without a thick accent? Or a French, Italian, Finnish or Scandinavian?
just kidding
I guess i need to hear a whole album from the band to really tell, have only heard this song by them. I will definitely give them a try if i can find them a reasonable price.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 8:21 pm

manny wrote:

lol!

How many of my cds do you have left? Come on I want to see what you think about the rest of the bands haha.

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 8:56 pm

Olafsto wrote:
08. Signal to Noise Ratio - Centryfuga
A whole album of this would have made me suicidal.. Skip

lol!

No one who has ever gotten my comps before has wanted to engage in suicide!! Dont listen to cd 3 cause you might do it Smile

Alex

exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 6:08 pm

are you the Olafsto?

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Comp Swap VI - The Reviews
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next