Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Comp Swap VI - The Reviews

Go down 
+12
Olafsto
exact33
Required Fields
A Handful of Wayne
SideShowDisaSter
Shiney
kmorg
DallasBlack
manny
rattpoison
tohostudios
SAHB Healer
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 7:59 am

🤘

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 8:13 am

tohostudios wrote:
So, good job Dallas. Your comp gave me several bands I want to check out. And isn't that the goal of this comp swap project?

Goal achieved!

Glad you liked most of it. The Marillion track was a ballad but I understand how it wasn't your thing. A more appropriate track would have been Garden Party from their debut, Script For A Jester's Tear. That particular album is more like early Genesis than the rest of the material. Mostly Autumn is a difficult band to get a hold of seeing as their albums don't have any American releases. I was able to get one of their albums because Virgin Megastore sells Imports. The music is folk inspired progressive rock and the woman vocalist is the lovely Heather Findlay. With the Savatage track, I couldn't find any post from you about them so I sent it just in case. I figured the Suicidal Tendencies song would be too far out for you, but again I couldn't find any posts from you in reference to them. The Kerry Livgren song is from one of his lesser known albums released in the mid 90s as is one of my favorite albums. The Empire album is from an album released earlyier this year.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 8:22 am

I've been investigating Mostly Autumn. Most of their albums are available on Amazon. They're frequently described as progressive Celtic rock. I think I'll be picking up their two disc anthology.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 9:25 am

Quote :
Blackmore's Night-Play Minstrel Play

Renaissance music at it's finest. This seems like it would be a great fit in the middle ages (that is not a shot, I am being serious). I understand that they use electric guitar so I'm sure this is only a small taste of what this has to offer. BTW, Blackmore can play the hell out of an acoustic guitar as well as the electric guitar. Also the flute player is quite amazing as well. 3.4/5

Actually, the first two BN albums are almost entirely acoustic. And the flute player on this song is Ian Anderson.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 9:28 am

tohostudios wrote:
Quote :

Renaissance music at it's finest. This seems like it would be a great fit in the middle ages (that is not a shot, I am being serious). I understand that they use electric guitar so I'm sure this is only a small taste of what this has to offer. BTW, Blackmore can play the hell out of an acoustic guitar as well as the electric guitar. Also the flute player is quite amazing as well. 3.4/5

Actually, the first two BN albums are almost entirely acoustic. And the flute player on this song is Ian Anderson.

Cool I didnot know Ian Anderson was on any of the albums, I am huge Blackmore fan but I have been reluctant to try out Blackmore's Night. I may have to check them out.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 9:51 am

manny wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Quote :

Cool I didnot know Ian Anderson was on any of the albums, I am huge Blackmore fan but I have been reluctant to try out Blackmore's Night. I may have to check them out.

Their last several albums have been more like folk-influenced rock. I prefer the earlier ones that are almost entirely acoustic.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 12:00 pm

Some other notes on the comp I sent DB:

Sabaton - though my favorite song by this band is the one I sent, the early albums are sort of iffy. I would highly recommend The Art Of War though.

Diablo Swing Orchestra - this band defies categorization. Elements of metal, opera, swing, flamenco, pop, industrial...you name it.

Kiuas - the song I sent (and another one I sent Saxon) is from the Spirit Of Ukko album. Their last two have been more deathy and therefore turned me off.

The Dogma - As DB said, symphonic goth metal. Both their albums are great but I prefer Good Day To Die by a hair.

Michael Monroe - lead singer of Hanoi Rocks. I have all his solo albums but Not Fakin' It is his best by far.

Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 12:38 pm

ok, SAHB sent me this info after my initial post here about how little I know about what he sent me..And while I've listened to this nearly a dozen times and love all of it, I still can't ramble on..so I cut and pasted his blurbage ad will chime in a little...

1. PARIS- Black Book
This was a three piece led by Bob Welch from Fleetwood Mac. He later had a hit pop album in the mid 70's. Paris s/t though is an early glam crossover album from '73. Listen for a lot of Zeppelin influences here.
{Great glam tinged rock here!!}

2. STRIFE- Shock Proof
This was Strife from the UK. Late 70's. They were sort of a punky "spacerock" band in the mold of Hawkwind. They later morphed into the super-cheesy pomp band "Nightwing".
{This band is strange in a good way}

3. AGNES STRANGE- Give Yourself A Chance
Kind of a spacey post psych band from the mid 70's. Sometimes had almost rockabilly leanings. {cool cool cool}

4. TEAZE- The Flames Keep Growing
This was a Canadian hard rock/glam band from the mid 70's. This song was one of the heaviest things out there in '76 or so. Teaze must have had at least one Christian member, as some of their songs have religious overtones.
{How many bands named TEAZE are there!?!?}

5. LEGS DIAMOND- Satin Peacock
These guys came up through the bars with Van Halen I think. Pity they never got as big, even though they toured with KISS. Glam/pomp/hard rock. A great band.
{One of the only bands on here I have heard of}

6. SMITHWICK MACHINE- Electric
This was an indie band from the deep south, early 90's. They were glam/goth at this point, with sometimes a strong Stooges influence. {great stuff here!!}

7. PETER HAMMILL- Open Your Eyes
This was the frontman from the seminal dark prog band "Van Der Graf Generator". This was solo work from '75, kind of a glammy, pre-punk album. {oddly reminded me of Nick Lowe}

8. CHAMELEONS (UK)-Here Today
This was an 80's post punk pop band from Manchester, that influenced the "Madchester" alt power pop scene of the early 90's (Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, Inspiral Carpets, Charletans UK). These guys were much darker though. {I knew these guys too}

9. NEIL MERRYWEATER-The Groove
This guy worked with Steve Miller and Dave Mason before this. He's still doing high profile pop sessions I think. This was with his band "Space Rangers" from 1973. Influences were Ziggy Stardust, P-Funk, and Hawkwind. This is one of the Bowie type songs, but they could also be very heavy or funky too. {This is an odd duck track, cool though}

10. STRAPPS-Sanctuary
This was Ian Underwood (later with Ian Gillan etc.). This band was sort of a glammy cross between Deep Purple and Mott The Hoople. {Great catchy tune}

11. SILVERHEAD- Sixteen & Savaged
Great heavy glam band from 1973. Frontman Michael Des Barres later sober up and became famous for a variety of things, Including the band "Detective" as well as acting.
{Loved this one, availible on cd?}

12. The VIBRATORS- I need a Slave
This was a great UK punk band from 1977. {classic}

13. LEGGAT- Wallow In The Hollow
This was the Leggat brothers from the early Canadian pomp band A Foot In Cold Water (inluenced Helix, etc). But this is a strange, dark, almost post-punk album that sometimes sounds almost like the Lords of The New Church. Blue Oyster Cult covered one of their songs later. {cool stuff as well}

14. The RUTS- In A Rut
Another UK Punk band, maybe had Clash influences at times. {great stuff}

15. COPPERHEAD- Roller Derby Star
This was the hard rock band formed around Quicksilver Messenger Service guitarist John Cippolina. Fun stuff. {not too bad}

16. The PINK FAIRIES- Seein' Double
This was a comeback album from the legendary UK hippie band from the 70's. However this '87 album wasn't well recieved. I don't know why. It's fun straight ahead hard rock IMO.
{great stuff aside from the dippy name}

17. The PRETTY THINGS- Another legendary glam/psych/pop band from the early days. They came up with the Kinks, Who, The Move, etc. This was from a forgotten album Savage Eye from the mid-70's though. They could rock hard when they wanted to. {Excellent}

over all a great comp. Thanks for the enlightenment.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 2:40 pm

I've heard of about half those bands.

When I was a kid, I had a friend who liked Paris.

I have several Legs Diamond albums. The Copperhead I have is probably a different band because they're southern rock. I've heard of Chameleons UK, The Vibrators and Silverhead But that's about it.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 6:56 pm

Silverhead's "16 & Savaged" is out of print on CD, but there are some out there usually in the $25 range. Spendy, but the whole album is good hard rockin' glam, pretty heavy for it's time.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 5:46 pm

I received 8 comp discs from Phoenix, so far listened to one and here are my first impressions on disc one, btw it was very cool, it gave me a chance to check out alot of bands I knew nothing about:

disc1:

Track 1) and Track 2) Tarot-I Rule and Howl: Never heard of this guys, and power metal is not a genre that I have spent alot of time exploring but this two songs were solidly written, powerhouse vocalist who is also very melodic. I was really impressed with the guitar solo on "Howl" it was mini song within a song. Very cool.

Track 3) Pyramaze-Ancient world Within-Another band I was unfamiliar with. Starts with a keyboard riff that is anchors the song. Very interesting riff since the keyboardist modifys the riff slightly during the verses and chrous. Whoever this drummer he must have calves that size of tree trunks based on double bass drum work and speed he is playing. Keyboard very high in the mix, and the vocalist again very melodic, I actually enjoyed this song alot, and if I were to give an example of what power metal sounds like, this would be the song I would play for them.

Track 4) HeadHunter-Unhuman World-Killer thrash cut with good modern production, and even cooler it features Schmier formley of Destruction.

Track 5 and 6 ) Sentenced-Farewell and Cross My Heart-I am actually familiar with this band and based on this two tracks plan to look into their discography. Well written metal songs, not thrash or power metal, just a good metal songs.

Track 7 and Cool Virgin Steele-Noble Savage and Victory Is Mine- Used to see this guys adverstive their albums in Hit Parade and Circus back in the day but never heard their music. I have a feeling you could probably trace the beginnings of Power metal with these guys. Pomp and prog, somewhat ahead of its time, and these songs were so goth and dramatic I felt this urge to go pull a sword out of rock or something. Very cool thanks for the intro to this veteran band Phoenix.

Track 9) Helloween-Paint a New World-I am already a fan what can I say great band and great track.

Track 10,11, and 12) Mob Rules-Meet you in Heaven, Coast to Coast, Pray for Sunlight- Not very original and I avoided this band thinking they were going to sound like a second rate Black Sabbath based on the name. That was a mistake they sound nothing like Black Sabbath. All three songs are solidly well written and solidly performed. Good band and keepers of the flame, I bet this guys sound killer live.

Track 13 and 14 Gotthard-Master of Illusion and Pray for Sunlight- I have heard a couple of their tunes before, but I actually enjoyed more this time around. They remind me a little of early Queensryche. Great intro to this band and interesting lyrics.

Track 15) Nocturnal Rites-End of our Rope-Never heard of this guys but very pomp, and the intro was excellent, the song wasn't bad but nothing that made it stand out to me apart from the intro.

Track 16) Vision Divine-Send me an Angel-Another Power Metal I have never heard of, not bad, but nowhere near good as the other bands on this comp. Keyboardist is very good and the bridge and timechanges did keep my attention. Very Schenker inspired guitar solo, I may have to give this one a few more spins, I did enjoy the solos and bridge but the rest of the song was ok.

Track 17) Viper-Rebel Maniac-Singer reminded me of Joey Belladonna, actually the whole band reminded me of Anthrax. The song made me laugh and it sounded more of a parody of early thrash than a serious attempt at songwriting.

There you go my review of disc 1, now only 7 more to go.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 6:02 pm

Lots of good stuff on that comp!

Some notes:

Marco Hietala of Nightwish is the vocalist for Tarot.

When investigating Sentenced, be careful with the early stuff as it's much more death metal with growling. Later Sentenced rules though. And if you like Sentenced, check out the last two Poisonblack albums; same vocalist and it's like Sentenced Mach II.

The last Nocturnal Rites album "The 8th Sin" is great. I have several earlier ones that didn't do much for me however.

Gotthard are one of the masters of melodic metal IMO. Their earlier albums are more metal than their newer stuff though.

The vocalist on that Pyramaze song is the ubiquitous Lance King; the guy has been in more progmetal bands than any vocalist I know.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 6:09 pm

haha nice review. Wow im surprised you didnt hear of most of those bands.

Tarot is the bass player of Nightwish's original band. He is also the vocalist.

Pyramaze is kind of an unknown band until earlier this year when Matt Barlow sang on their latest album, but he didnt stay with the band. They now have Urban Breed who was the vocalist for Tad Morose who is one of those cds I gave you.

Virgin Steele just kick ass. As I was reading I was thinking I should have put another song by them on there as well but you get the idea.

Gotthard is a great band. Heard of them from this board. I didnt care for them too much but then I got a comp cd from exact and then I got into them.

Nocturnal Rites I wasnt sure what song to put on since they have a lot of good ones but they also kind of all sound the same.

Vision Divine is Olaf Thorston original guitarist of Labyrinth band. He started this band with Fabio Lione also original vocalist of Labyrinth now in Rhapsody. the third albulm Fabio was suppose to do but he had to quit the band due to obligations to Rhapsody so they had a different singer on their last 3 albums. Now Fabio is back so hopefully they will go back to the style they were doing with the song on the comp.

Viper went through a lot of changes. First they started out as like a power metalish band when original Angra Vocalist Andre Matos was in the band. This was his first band but he is not singing on this song. When Andre left to join Angra the bass player took over the vocals and turned the band into a sort of rockish/punk band. They even ventured into reggea for some reason. Now they are back with a new vocalist and back to their original sound. Definetly worth checking out their other stuff. I probably should have put something off the first album but Rebel Maniac got me into them.

Dallas you should have your cds from me soon as well. I sent you and Manny the same.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 6:10 pm

damn toho you beat me too it lol... oh well I mentioned some others you didnt.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 6:26 pm

I didn't know Urban Breed was in Pyramaze. Man, that band gets all the good vocalists.

I don't care for Tad Morose but Breed's album with Bloodbound is still a favorite of mine.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 7:07 pm

Yea he just joined them I think last month. Never got into Bloodbound especially after Breed left, but he rejoined that bad as well I believe.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 7:08 pm

The Bloodbound album with the Jaded Heart singer sucks. "Nosferatu" with Breed is a great album IMO.

I will definitely check out a Pyramaze disc with Breed (assuming he stays with the band that long; they seem to go through vocalists like I go through underwear)

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 7:18 pm

Thanks for the follow up info, guys. I have never big into power metal but I this CD has convinced me to go and check these bands out.

I have listened to metal/hard rock but their some genres I have not bothered checking out mainly power metal and sleeze/glam rock. I don't know many metal fans or for that matter true music fans anymore so my exposure to bands is limited, expect thru magazines or You Tube if I get curious.

This why I value this board, everyone here is knowledgeable on so many different types of music and not just metal. It is great way discover bands and maybe make lifelong friendships. Thanks Phoenix for the introduction to some of these artist and now have 7 more to go.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 7:25 pm

Quote :
I have listened to metal/hard rock but their some genres I have not bothered checking out mainly power metal and sleeze/glam rock.

Oh man Manny, Shiney is the President of the sleeze/glam rock club and he tabbed me to be his Vice President so you've come to the right place.

My advice on a starting point for sleeze/glam? Hardcore Superstar! Check out We Don't Celebrate Sundays.

http://www.myspace.com/hcssgbg

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 7:31 pm

I guess I avoided the sleeze genre is I didn't want what I preceived to be second rate clones of Motley Crue or Hanoi Rocks. I know that is unfair but sometimes we listen with our eyes and not our ears, if you know what I mean.

Alright I will check out Hardcore Superstar and you could name 3 others and I 'll check them out, thanks.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 7:35 pm

Buckcherry
Beautiful Creatures
Backyard Babies
Wig Wam
Crashdiet

These are some of the more readily available ones. There are tons of indy releases that most people have never heard of and who's CDs are hard to find. This year I ran across a compilation by a band called Soho Roses that I'd never heard of before. It's all independently funded and recorded but it's great stuff and there are lots of bands like that.

Note: I added a link to the Hardcore Superstar site in my previous post.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 7:37 pm

Manny, you've also got a bunch of links to check out over at Spec's board...

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 7:42 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Buckcherry
Beautiful Creatures
Backyard Babies
Wig Wam
Crashdiet

Note: I added a link to the Hardcore Superstar site in my previous post.

I did see the link, I have heard of Beautiful Creatures cool band and features Bang Tango vocalist. BackYard Babies have a cool song "Celius Baby" which I love and of course we all know Buckcherry, but the last two complete mystery to me. Thanks
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 7:46 pm

The unfortunate part is that a lot of this stuff can be pricey to get. Just last weekend, I scored the new Backyard Babies disc off Ebay for about $20 w/ shipping.

Another one to check out is the new Gemini 5.

Also, how could I forget The Wildhearts? I just got a 3 disc comp of this band's singles, EPs and hits this week. Great stuff! How could you not love a catchy song called "The Bullsh!t Goes On"?

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2008 7:54 am

wrote:

Oh man Manny, Shiney is the President of the sleeze/glam rock club and he tabbed me to be his Vice President so you've come to the right place.

I used to be part of that club.....until i was kicked out for my up turned nose and for my habit of throwing rocks at the 80's Sunset Stripper Metal dressed as glam acts and today's hordes of Wrathchild haired Swedish bands that worship those bands of a truly forgettable bygone era.

If you want the real flash n' trash Manny come to me, i'll hip you to the real dirt n' glitter, the real sons of the Dolls/Alice/Iggy/Hanoi/Lords.....

Gunfire Dance
http://www.myspace.com/gunfiredance
The Joneses
http://www.myspace.com/thejoneses82
The Hangmen
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=JqCgnZxzCdw
Thee Hypnotics
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=rdO4StkTR9s
Beasts Of Bourbon
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=UsBy4xkWKJg

Psst don't tell Toho that Shiney comes by the clubhouse every now and then. Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Comp Swap VI - The Reviews
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next