Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Comp Swap VI - The Reviews

Go down 
+12
Olafsto
exact33
Required Fields
A Handful of Wayne
SideShowDisaSter
Shiney
kmorg
DallasBlack
manny
rattpoison
tohostudios
SAHB Healer
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 8:49 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Quote :
Andi Deris-1000 Years Away: I was a aware of Deris having a solo album but I forgot about it. With this song I will be on the lookout for this. Great melodic rock coupled with one of my favorite vocalists. 5/5

I might be able to help you with the Deris solo albums DB.

I have both of them. This song is off the more obscure one (currently going for about $18 plus shipping on Amazon. Cheapest I found on Ebay was 5.99 plus $3 shipping). Since I don't really like either one, I'm open to offers.

I am currently broke right now (see my post in New Additions) but when I get some spending money I will let you know.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 8:51 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Quote :
Andi Deris-1000 Years Away: I was a aware of Deris having a solo album but I forgot about it. With this song I will be on the lookout for this. Great melodic rock coupled with one of my favorite vocalists. 5/5

I might be able to help you with the Deris solo albums DB.

I have both of them. This song is off the more obscure one (currently going for about $18 plus shipping on Amazon. Cheapest I found on Ebay was 5.99 plus $3 shipping). Since I don't really like either one, I'm open to offers.

I am currently broke right now (see my post in New Additions) but when I get some spending money I will let you know.

It'll be here. I bought both discs after my initial discover of early PC69 years ago. They haven't seen the light of day since.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 7:32 am

Here is my final review for Comp Swap VI for Stender:

Thresher-My Reality: Cool acoustic intro opens into a cool thrash song. This is a kind of thrash I enjoy, meldoic yet gruff vocals with positive lyrics. So many Christian themed thrash bands go the screaming direction it's nice to hear one that keeps it melodic. 4.5/5

The Moshketeers-Posers Of Deceit: Here we get into more brutal thrash territory but these guys avoid sounding generic. The vocalist is very unique and the band has a certain sound not found in brutal thrash. 4/5

M.D.C.-Nazis Shouldn't Drive: While I don't believe in rejoicing in a person's death, I understand many people don't hold that view. Lyrics aside this is a sort of thrash-punk. Not a bad sound but I'm not sure how much I could listen to in one sitting. 3.4/5

Linch King-A Lesson In Violence: Another thrash song but this time the screaming vocals become a little more generic (Kreator, Exodus, etc.). The only problem I have with thrash like this is that the bands sound so alike that they tend to blend together and I loose interest in them in the long run. But it is still enjoyable in small doses. 3.5/5

Lust Control-You Make Me Puke: HM founder Doug Van Pelt's punk band is one I've known about but never explored. This is pretty amusing but probably more like a novelty. If I can find something I might pick it up just for the sake of having it but I don't know how often I'd listen to it. Love the subject matter of the lyrics, unfortunatly it describes how I am all too often. 3/5

Lightforce-Metal Missionary: The band that gave us Steve Rowe, and another one I never heard until now. I like this sound and would definatly pick this up if Rowe Productions still has it in stock. Good 80s music with amelodic/melodic vocals that by all accounts should be annoying but works quite well (but I'd have to hear more to rally tell). 4/5

Eviction-Living In Emptiness: Back to thrash, this time more along the lines of Vengeance Rising and Sacrament. As with most brutal thrash this is something that is good in small doses but becomes too samey after a while. 3/5

Eric Blair-Payment Of The Rich: Some cool bass leads into a punk like metal band. Not sure if this is thrash or not. Very unusual song and I would need to hear more to make any real opinion of this artist. Unfortunatly, he only released a demo so I have no idea how to do that. 3/5

Drive-Kamikaze: Now we go into classic metal. This is something I get more out of than thrash and death. This is some fine music and something I would like to get some of. 4/5

Bolt Thrower-No Guts, No Glory: I remember picking up The IV Crusade and enjoying it emensly. By that time death metal was becoming too samey. Everybody sounded like a Cannible Corpse clone but here was a band that slowed things down and even had a little melodic side. Unfortunatly I had a tape and when I changed to CDs I forgot about this. This song reminds me of why I liked Bolt Thrower. I will keep my eye out for these guys and once I'm able to make online purchases I should be able get something pretty easily. 4.5/5

Daniel Band-Don't Give Up: Good ol' 80s melodic hard rock from the Christian side. I like this as I've liked other songs I've heard from these guys. Mardel has some Retroacitve reissues from these guys so I might just pick something up. 4.5/5

Christian Death-The Drowning: Dislike the name emensly but the music is pretty interesting. This is more straight goth than what I listen to but not bad. If I found a cheap used CD of these guys I might pick it up (if I can't find something I want more. 3.5/5

Blessed Death-Digital War: Back into thrash territory. This is more along the lines of early Exodus and Kreator which is better than the brutal kind but not quite as good as the melodic kind. Reminds me alot of Coma Of Souls which is an album I've been looking for. Might pick something up if I can find it. 4/5

Avenger Of Blood-Ghost Rider Of The Apocalypse: Apart from Ultimatum, I haven't really looked too hard into due to the only place to get their music is online. Right now I am limited to cash only purchases due to my "financial advisor" (o.k., my dad-in return for paying no rent I have to get my debt payed off and save money) wanting me to keep away from online purchases. I need to learn to be patient and use the snail mail method and support the music of my fellow HOM members (this should be easier now that my metal haven, Virgin has abandoned me). Avenger of Blood is one and this gives me a idea of what they do. Well, knock me over, this is some REAL brutal thrash right here. While brutal thrash usually is something I stay away from due to the sameyness, I could really get into these guys. 5/5

Attidtude Adjustment-Bombs: Thrash again only this time it's back to the syle that gets old after a while. This is an incredibly short song BTW. 3/5

Armageddon-Giving It To You: This is some good classic metal from the Christian side of things (too much of that is hard too find these days). Luckily Retroactive reissued these guys and I was able to procure a copy. This is a good song but again so is the rest of the album. 5/5

Darkhalf-To Take Your Soul: This is some decent death metal. Not anything ground breaking and maybe a little generic but not bad. 3/5

Good comp Stender, you mangaged to introduce me to bands I haven't heard yet. While some of it was the generic brand of thrash, I can stomach that in small doses or in compilations. You let me know what I'm missing out with as far as Avenger Of Blood and Daneil Band and helped me navigate the waters of the never ending thrash scene. Thus ends my reviews for Comp Swap IV. While I enjoy making comps and receiving comps more than I like reviewing them it was sitll fun. I also got a wide spectrum of music from each comp. Toho introduced me to many goth and symphonic metal bands, PRD introduced me to many power and progressive bands, Spectrefate introduced me to many melodic hard rock and classic metal bands, and Stender introduced me to the more extreme sides of metal. I have many other comps to make for Toho, PRD, and Spec but those will be off the record and will not need extensive reviews. I think I will function this way for a while and sit out the next Comp Swap.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 10:28 am

wow dallas im surprised you got through all of those cds already haha. I think I wore manny out with all the power metal, he only made it through cd 4 haha. Now that I know a little more of what you dont have i'll make you up some more cds probably after the holidays. Ive been swamped with a lot of things as of late if you havent noticed I really havent been around lately.

Heres some notes on some of the songs....

Viper- This band has went through a lot of changes. They first started out as a power metal band with vocalist Andre Matos (this was his first band before he joined Angra and then left to do Shaman then left that to do his solo). After Andre left the bassist took over vocals and they went towards a more punk sound. 2 more albums later they ended up doing raggae or something on one album which I wont even waste my time to look for. After that they broke up. Last year they got back together with a Andre Matos clone vocalist and they are back to their power metal stuff. Andre Matos makes an appearance on the album as well. Just a shame the album is very hard to get though and if you can get it its expensive.

Bassinvaders- Is a band started by Markus Grosskopf. There are tons of special guests on it but the main bass players are Markus, Schmier, and Peavy (from rage). They all do vocals from time to time along with Apollo from firewind.

Cage- The song I put on the cd is nothing like the cage of now. The new stuff blows away their older songs.

Tyran Pace- I believe you wrote the wrong song title. I think it was the song Criminal. This band is Ralf Sheepers first band. They only did 3 albums and broke up. They later ended up selling the name to another band and they put out 1 album under it. It was decent but nothing like the original band.

Synergy- They only made 3 albums and then completely vanished. Which is a shame because they seemed to be going strong for a while. This band also featured Alexi from Children Of Bodom and Marco from Tarot/Nightwish.

Adagio- A great band. Their first 2 albums featured PC69 vocalist David Readman but he ended up leaving. The new guy is good but I think they were better with David especially that song Inner Road thats a heavy song.

Evil Masquerade- Another band that features Apollo from firewind on vocals. Great band. Their albums all pretty much sound the same but great band none the less.

Millenium- The only album of theirs that has Jorn on vocals is Hourglass. The others I forget who sings but I think Hourglass is the best one. Im only missing one of their albums and it goes for too much money so i'll hold out.

Magnum- A lot of their stuff is hit and miss but when they have a great song you know it. A Storytellers Night is their best album.

Freedom Call- Just like Hammerfall they always seem to through the name of the band in their songs which is annoying but i'll deal with it theyr songs are awesome.

Conception- They are one of those bands that you really have to sit and listen to for a while. Even though Khan is the vocalist they are a lot different from Kamelot. A little slower as well. The song on this comp is from their last album which sounds different from their other albums with a more polished recording. Ive been listening to them for a couple of years and still I like them but something just doesnt make me like them enough.

Athena- Thats Fabio Leone on vocals. He only did that one album and it was probably their best album too out of the 3 they released.

Place Vendome- That is Michael Kiske on vocals. The only thing from PC69 in this band is the guitarist Dennis Ward.

DBX- That is the Dave Brockie Experiment, vocalist for Gwar. His albums are ok, I was just looking for something different to put on the end of the cd and figured that song would have came from no where. All his stuff is pretty much goofy, but nothing as good as Gwar.

Revolution Rennaissance- Michael Kiske is singing this song although Tobias might be singing on it as well I forget now but he is on the album somewhere. The album was ok but nothing as good as Stratovarius even with all the guest appearances.

Dark Moor- Their female vocalist hasnt been in the band for atleast 4 or 5 albums. They are great. They keep getting better with each album.

HIM- People either love or hate this band. Their last 2 albums were good but not as good as their first four. Just about every song on those four albums were great. Dont get me wrong the new stuff is good too though but if you want to start with any album get Love Metal and then build from there.

Throne Of Chaos- This band went through a lot of changes vocally. The music pretty much stayed the same until their 3 and final album. I heard this band a couple years ago but never stayed on top of them because I couldnt find their stuff a couple years later I got them all pretty cheap through amazon and I wish they were still around because they were another band that was just getting better and better. They shortened their name with the last album as well to just T.O.C because of the way the music changed.

Lake Of Tears- Another band that changes alot with each album. They have a lot of great stuff. If you can find it pick it up especially Forever Autumn and A Crimson Cosmos.

Stormwarrior- Everyone says that this band is the new Helloween Walls Of Jericho era. You probably think hes similar to Kai Hansen who also produces this bands albums and guest vocals on it from time to time.

Phoenix Reign- Never heard of them til I put those songs on the compilation. They are ok but I hear their drummer is a complete tool.

Beyond Twilight- The song on this comp comes from the only album Jorn sang on. If you havent been able to tell by now Jorn is probably one of my favorite singers haha. He ended up getting into a legal battle I believe with this band over this album of who wrote the songs or something. Maybe it didnt get that far but I know that there is some problems with the guy who started the band and Jorn. I actually think the 2 albums after this are awesome. A lot of progressive stuff going on. Their last album is cool but the most annoying thing about it is the whole thing is one continues long song and they were broken down intro tracks that only end up being about 10-15 seconds long so you have to listen to the album the whole way through and cant really pick and choose a song that you can go hey give this one a listen.

Wicked Maraya- This is the only album this band made under this name. They are actually from my area and I didnt know that til a few months ago when I recently found this album again. I havent heard it since junior high school. Every song is great on this album. They later changed their name to Maraya and completely changed their sound. Supposedly now they are back with their original name and are planning to make a part 2 to this album. Hopefully it will be as good as this one but I really doubt it.

Scanner- This band has went through more changes in their line up than I think Megadeth has or ever will. Their first album their vocalist almost reminded me of Kai Hansen which the song on this comp is taken from. The next album they got a new vocalist and even changed their sound a little. 3rd album again changed their vocalist who stayed for 2 albums and then they dissappeared for a couple of years to reamerge yet again with a new vocalist only this time the vocalist ended up being a female, which struck me kind of odd but she actually did a good job on their album. Supposedly though she only used the band to try and further her career so she ended up leaving as well. They once again got a new male singer and started working on an album but I havent heard anything about it in a couple of years now. They also had people coming in and out of the band through all of this as well so who knows whats going on. There is only one original member left in the band. I try to keep up with them because I really like this band a lot but their website is crap.

Well thats all the info I can think of. Glad you found some stuff you liked!

The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 1:38 pm

Glad you found a couple things off the comp to look into Dallasblack! It seemed to me that you dont listen to thrash as much judging from your playlist posts so when I was thinking about what to put on my comp I decided to pummel you with thrash! Very Happy

The Avenger of blood track that I added is a song off their first demo which was the only AOB material that has christian themes. Its called Celestial War which came out in 2001.

I figured you might be interested in Christian Death, your right the band can swing pretty anti-christian sometimes, i.e the name of the band. but this is one of the greatest deathrock/goth/glam bands to come out of L.A IMO. I would definately get the album "only theater of pain" at some point.

Lightforce is something definately to not miss. You can get all their discography on one disc thru the CD Lightforce:1986 to 1989. Amazon probably has it I'm sure.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 12:20 pm

I've got my comp discs from Kurt. I'll try to get a review up this weekend of at least one or two of them. Been really busy lately.

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 12:23 pm

Quote :
They are ok but I hear their drummer is a complete tool.

This reviewer knows one thing, at least!!! lol!
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 1:07 pm

SideShowDisaSter wrote:
I've got my comp discs from Kurt. I'll try to get a review up this weekend of at least one or two of them. Been really busy lately.

I still have 2 more from you to write about also. Not sure i'll get to do it before Christmas, but we'll see.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 1:33 pm

I still have more to review from Phoenix and one from required fields, hopefully I can knock out some of them this weekend.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 11:54 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Quote :
They are ok but I hear their drummer is a complete tool.

This reviewer knows one thing, at least!!! lol!

lol! I dont get it. Razz

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 12:54 pm

When is the next comp swap? I want to be join in on the next one!
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 5:02 am

I still need some words from Ben before we create a new one Very Happy

Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 9:29 am

kmorg wrote:
I still need some words from Ben before we create a new one Very Happy

I hope to get at least one done by tomorrow (I've got some free time on my hands for a bit). Just finishing up a "project" I promised to someone else several weeks back.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 9:55 am

This review is for a comp made during last Comp Swap but was never received by me until recently from DeathCult:

Diamond Head-Am I Evil?: I recognize this song from a Metallica cover in Garage Days Re-visited. Cool NWOBHM song that shows why this band was a huge influence on Metallica. Hetfield's vocals were definatly influenced by these guys.

Blitzkrieg-Blitzkreig: Another song found on Garage Days from the NWOBHM era. I like good classic metal and this song is no exception.

Tigers Of Pan Tang-Gangland: Another good NWOBHM song. I need to find some to add to my collection.

Angel Whitch-White Whitch: Love the NWOBHM feel this comp has. Here is another awesome song from the classic metal era.

M.S.G.-Attack Of The Mad Axe Man: I need to expand my collection of classic metal albums because here is another awesome song from that era. This is less NWOBHM and has more in common with 70s metal-understandable consideriing the source.

Raven-Star War: Another great NWOBHM song. This is good because my colleciton is really lacking in that catagory. This comp lets me know which ones to watch out for.

Black Sabbath-Stonehenge: Dark and erie Sabbath instrumental that serves as an intro to...

Black Sabbath-Disturbing The Priest: Non-Dio and Ozzy Sabbath is one I am only somwhat familiar with but the material I am familiar with is still pretty damn good classic metal. This song is a new one to me and a good song.

Black Sabbath-The Dark: Anther intro. This does indeed sound "evil" or at least in the superstitious way.

Black Sabbath-Zero The Hero: Another one I never heard but still a good doomy song.

Possessed-The Excorcist: One of the pioneers of death metal is a band I never heard until now. Fast and furious thrash with ubber harsh growls. Cool song, I need to find something from these guys (I'm not as picky about lyrics as I used to be-as long as I don't take them to heart).

Celtic Frost-Circle Of The Tyrants: One of the earliest black metal bands and one I am mildly familiar with. This is cool and dark sounding and belongs in my collection although I wish I could find good music like this with better lyrics (I am more tolerant of music with lyrics like this but that doesn't mean I like them).

Xentrix-Balance Of Power: I was able to find origional pressings of the first two albums used for the price of a regular CD ($15-17). I love thrash like this much more than the non-clean vocal kind. This song is my favorite from these guys.

Nuclear Assult-Fight To Be Free: A thrash band I hear of but never got anything from them. This should be rectified in near future. This an awesome song and I definatly will add these guys to my ever growing want list.

Razor-Shotgun Justice: More along the lines of thrash I grow weary of but that doesn't mean that this song isn't good. On the contrary, this is a fine thrash song and if I found them used, I would consider getting it.

Cancer-To The Gory End: Pretty good old school death metal. The lyrics are of the gory kind but that should not be a problem as long as I can find these guys cheap. The album this is from is easily found in most used shops in this area. If I am ever in the mood for death metal than I'd rather have something with personality like this than the more generic brutal stuff.

All in all a great comp. Only one band I own albums form and many others I need to explore further. However, I am getting so damn tired of not having enough money to buy all these CDs. My want list is growing by leaps and bounds and there's no way of stopping it. Maybe I should live off of Ramen noodles, milk, bread, and water and take multi vitamins. That would free up some of my grocery budget to allow me more music Smile .
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 12:50 pm

Im glad you liked it Dallas!
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 12:40 pm

Time for CD 2 from Ben's Thrash 'n' Go Compilation:

CD2:

1. Fallen Angel (Switzerland) – Premier Parish

Pretty melodic thrash metal. Remind me of the Norwegian band, Witchhammer. Cool song indeed.

2. Ritual (USA) – Addicted To Fear

Released through Massacre Records in 1993, this technical thrash metal band escaped the second wave of thrash metal by a hair! And that is too bad, because they deliver a strong impact with this song. Believer, Sacrifice and technical thrash metal fans beware, this is some great music!

3. Asphyxia (Belgium) – One Big Family

At first I thought German thrash, then the vocals kicked in, and I thought British thrash metal. Then I sensed a punk flavor, and I didn’t rwally know what to make out of it. Turns out that these guys are from Belgium, so maybe this is trademark Belgian thrash metal?

4. Terminator (Czech Republic) – Realita

Sung in the bands native language, the not so imaginatively entitled band, Terminator, delivers some raw and “unfinished” thrash metal. It’s not the speedier kind, but more the groove oriented style. Not my favorite here.

5. Sacrificial (Denmark) – I Fall In Temptation

Ah, some Scandinavian metal! Denmark’s Sacrificial enjoy cult status, and that is not surprising considering their brand of brutal blend of thrash and death metal. Imagine if Entombed and The Haunted had a baby! This is from the bands debut from 1993, and they have had to be a little before their tie with this kind of music?

6. D.A.M. (UK) – Man Of Violence

This is yet another band I’ve heard about, but never actually heard. Anthrax comes to mind. This is the kind of music I associate with the term; mosh it up!!

7. Crash (South Korea) – My Worst Enemy

South Korea, the cradle of true thrash metal music, NOT! Haha But this band do kick some serious boot-y! It’s weird to listen to how the Asian bands combine styles as much as they do. It’s thrash metal with growling vocals, and melodic solos. The singer sounds like a young Max Cavalera, and maybe Sepultura in general is not a far fetched similar band.

8. Havoc Mass (USA) – Scarred For Life

Another band that just missed the golden era of thrash metal by a hairs length. 1993 is maybe the last year of the second wave of thrash metal, and since that is the year these guys released their one and only full-length, it is safe to day that were “killed” by the grunge monster. Apparently, they changed their name later on. This is relentless and furious thrash metal! It’s dark, and it would not surprise me if the rest of the material on their albums are quite technical, although the song at hand is pretty straight forward. Definitely an interesting band!

9. Youthquake (Japan) – Slave Master

Japanese bands are pretty hit or miss with me. This speed fest is a hit! It’s hard to pinpoint the music similarities with other bands, and the vocals are pretty insane! Blistering guitars, razor sharp riffing and insane speeeeeeeed!

10. Decadence (Belgium) – Deadly Dreams

Very punk-infused thrash metal here. The vocals are shouted more then they are sung. Suicidal Tendencies from Belgium?

11. Squealer (Germany) – Liar

I’m only familiar with Squealer’s latter albums. And they are more of a power metal variety. But this song is from the early thrash metal era. This is some rough and rowdy stuff. Not at all what I imagined. Some melody is the solo though, but for the most part this is in your face thrash!

12. Hämmer (Poland) – Terror

Almost every thrash metal song that is good will have you by your jugulars even before the song really has kicked in. This is such a song; the opening riff just sucks you in, and it is impossible not to bang your head to the tones of ferocious speed and machine gun riffing! The vocals reminds me a bit of Nuclear Assault, but the music is much faster. One more for the wantlist!

13. Kr’uppt (USA) – Womb Of Decay

This is thrash metal to me. Just face-ripping, flesh crawling music that will peel the paint off your walls! Abrasive vocals, lethal riffing and thunderous rhythms! Cannot believe that this was released in 1996?!! MOSH IT UP!

14. Dorsal Atlantica (Brazil) – Razor’s Edge

Brazilian bands reminds me of Sepultura, almost by default. Not sure that this is doin’ Dorsal Atlantica justice though. But then again they didn’t do much of an impression on me regardless. Generic thrash with death-like vocals, and some strange guitar-work.

15. The Mist (Brazil) – God Of Black And White Images

More Brazilian thrash metal ending this second CD from SideShowDisaSter. A keyboard intro is starting this song! How non-thrash metal of them! But the rhythm then kicks in, and although heavier on the bass then on the guitar-riff, it is easily recognized as yet another thrash metal band! It almost feels like this song never really starts. Over 2 minutes passes by before the vocals really kicks in. Put from that moment on this band really impresses me. This is as much speed metal as it is thrash, and I like it!

Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 12:43 pm

Ok, I have finally gotten a review done of one of the discs Mr. Kmorg sent me.

Disc 1:

1. Armageddon - Crossing The Rubicon - 2002 (Intro)
A cool intro track with a very catchy riff. Really just a lead-in for the song to follow though…

2. Armageddon - Crossing The Rubicon - Godforsaken
Guitars by none other than Christopher Amott of Arch Enemy fame. The riffs here are a bit more brutal than the melodic approach used by he and his brother in said band. The tune here is melodic death with tinges of thrash. The vocals aren’t as guttural as most death bands, and are somewhat easy to understand. There is a rather out-of-place ultra-melodic place during the solo. I say it’s out of place because the rest of the song for the most part is fast and heavy. Not a bad tune by any means. I may pick this album up if I find it cheap!

3. Warrior - The Code Of Life - Day Of Reckoning
A band I have known about for some time, but haven’t found anything from (been trying to find an original of Fighting For The Earth for YEARS). Vocal duties here are handled by the man, the beast, the legend himself; Rob Rock! Always a stellar performance from him!! A very nice heavy/power metal tune. Chunky riffs, obviously excellent vocals, and pounding drums. A crushing tune with a RIPPING solo! The chorus is incredibly catchy. I need to get this (and an original of Fighting For The Earth, damn it!).

4. Powergod - Nemesis: Evilution Part III - Courtroom Of Traitors
WOW! I wasn’t expecting this. I had always written this band off as one of the multitude of power metal bands that have cropped up in recent years. This tune is freakin’ HEAVY! The verse sections start out as jarring and stilted, but settled in to a power/thrash romp. I even hear some blast beats used around the chorus. I think I’ll be checking into the band a bit more, as my initial opinion was obviously DEAD wrong!

5. Python - Demons Within demo - Lost Thoughts
I have known about this band for some time. I’ve been meaning to get their Good & Evil EP for some time, but just haven’t gotten around to it. This tune is mostly slow to mid-paced stomping. Heavy riffing, aggressive vocals. They do throw in some thrashing just before the verse sections. I was expecting just a BIT more, but not a bad tune all in all. For some reason, I was expecting a bit more old-school thrash sound. The slight groove influence disappointed me at first (I really try to go into albums I have never heard before with no (or low) expectations so I’m not let down).

6. Silence - Vision - Pitbull
TTTTHHHHHHHRRRRRRRAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSHHHHHH!! I have been searching for the CD version of this one for YEARS (it is VERY rare). Ripping thrash with some mid-paced stomp thrown in. Riffs are slightly reminiscent of Slayer is the faster sections. The vocalist reminds me of someone, but I just can’t put my finger on who…. Kurt, if you actually have this CD I’m afraid I now have to come to Norway to kill you for it. The tempo changes really keep this one interesting, as the song just doesn’t sit still.

7. Battered - Battered - Not One
Oh yeah baby! YESSSS!! A band I have never heard of playing some rampaging thrash! This one came out of the gates throwing haymakers. Pummeling drums, quick and heavy riffage, and an absolutely RABID vocalist! This is how I like it; fast, aggressive, and full of energy! I must needs find a copy of this. Even though it was released in 2006, you’d think from the way these guys play that they were out to define a genre!

8. Cadaver - In Pains… - Bypassed
I’m not a big death metal fan anymore (I used to love it), but this is a band I have always enjoyed. Choppy, technical, precise death metal. Cadaver could mix technicality, brutality, and melody like no other death metal band could. I’ve heard this before, and I’ve been searching for the album for some time, but it was enjoyable regardless. This album is one of the pinnacles of death metal, IMO. (Norway just seems to have this knack, while not having a great number of world-acclaimed bands, the country spits out metal gems (Cadaver - In Pains…, Equinox - Auf Wiedersehen, etc)

9. Heretic - Breaking Point - Enemy Within
One of the many bands with ties to Metal Church (in this case vocalist Mike Howe). Also, much like early Metal Church, we get a stomping power/thrash tune here! I’ve been trying to get this album for a long time (I’m beginning to see a theme with me saying that so much….). A true classic of metal. Riffs loaded with hooks, solid drumming, a thumping bass, and great vocals.

10. Nightrage - Sweet Vengeance - The Tremor
One of the many Gus G projects. I heard this one years ago when it first came out. Pretty solid melodic death metal. Unfortunately, when these guys came out the scene was flooded with melo-death bands aplenty. I always did enjoy Gus G’s guitar playing, as the man can do pretty much any style and sound good doing it (not like a guy just rehashing what has been done before).

11. Consecrator - Image Of Deception - Free From Death
I heard of these guys some time back, and have been meaning to check into them but never have. Well, here is my first taste, and I LIKE IT! Old-school thrash metal baby. Machine-gun riffing, barked out vocals, and cannon-fire drums! What’s not to like? This tune is from their demo that came out in ‘92. It and the first demo were packaged and released on CD in ‘04 under the title of Image Of Deception. I can only imagine that if they had appeared 2 years earlier we would have had a full-length from them back in the hey-day of thrash.

12. October 31 - The Fire Awaits You - The Warlock
King Fowley is just a BEAST! Can he and his bands release a bad album? I saw these guys live a few years ago, and they are just amazing! I’ve been a Deceased fan for a while, but REALLY need to get off my ass and pick up the October 31 discography. This is an old-school thrasher here. Catchy chorus, excellent riffs, and great drumming with plenty of double-bass kick! My need to get the October 31 albums has been completely reinforced by this song!

13. Pharaoh - After The Fire - After The Fire
I am reminded of Iron Maiden with this one. The bouncy, quick riffs, and the melodic, soaring vocals just SCREAM Iron Maiden. Obviously they were a big influence on this band. I also hear large doses of the Euro power metal scene mixed in with the Maiden influences. An up-tempo romp for the most part. I’d have to hear more before I could say if I would be interested in adding this to my collection or not, but this one tune did make for a fun listen.

14. Scanner - Terminal Earth - Not Alone
I bet you can’t guess what I’m going to say here! Yes, another album I’ve been trying to get for a while now. If you like the power/speed metal bands from Germany in the late 80’s/early 90’s then you’re gonna love this one! Excellent tune overall. Quick pace, high-pitched vocals, rapid guitar riffs, and a bass that’s just thumping along. I’ve only heard a few Scanner songs before (this wasn’t one of them) and I always enjoyed them. The song here is not an exception. Most of the power metal bands from nowadays should pay attention; THIS is how it’s done!

15. Susperia - Unlimited - The Coming Past
My one big complaint about this would be the downtuned guitars. Come on guys, you don’t have to do that to sound heavy! A heavy riff is NOT reliant upon guitar tuning. Anyway, pretty solid modern thrash that reminds slightly of bands like The Haunted, though with cleaner vocals. The tempo stays pretty solidly in the mid-paced camp, with the occasional exception of some blast and mosh beats tossed in. Would definitely like to hear more from them, at least.

16. Tyrant’s Reign - Tyrant’s Reign - Thrashing Metal Maniacs
I think the title of the song kinda gives away what you should expect, no? Hahaha, anyway, it’s good old-school thrash metal. Fast riffs, fast drums, fast bass lines, gang vocals, what’s not to love? I was aware of this band beforehand, but had never heard their material. Looking them up, I was surprised to see that they were around in the late 80’s. I would have expected SOME label to pick these guys up for at least ONE album considering the mad rush to sign thrash bands back then. This is just as good as everything else that was released back in the day! I do believe I’ll pick up this album, which was released in ‘04 and consisted of unreleased demo material and some live tracks.

17. Warbringer - One By One The Wicked Fall - Shot To Kill
I am kicking myself for not picking up this demo CD from this recent(ish) Century Media signing. They released War Without End for said label last year. Old-school thrash metal done well! It almost brings a tear to my eye to see young, new bands playing the style I’ve loved for a LONG time. The vocals are growled, snarled, and spit out with pure venom! Scale of 1-10 = Originality - 0, Conviction - 10. Aggressive and fast guitar riffs, good solos, monster drums, and HAMMERING bass! LOVE IT!

18. Sacrificium - Escaping The Stupor - Canvas
A blasting death metal tune. The vocalist is completely unintelligible, which is the way DM should be! As I said, I’m not really into death metal much anymore, but I really enjoyed this. Some death metal bands just go for raw brutality and forget the one necessary ingredient to make a good song; riffs that have hooks! These riffs are just catchy, that’s all there is to it! I am certainly open to hearing more music from this band, as this song was just infectious.

19. 7th Reign - 7th Reign - Defied
I had never heard of this band before. I liked the opening riff, but that keyboard overlay that came in almost killed this for me. I just don’t care for much power metal that goes nutty with keys and “atmosphere”. Moving past that, it was a decent enough tune. All the required parts were there; quick-paced riffs, high-pitched vocals, a bass that hums along, and up-tempo drumming with lots of double-bass. The problem, at least for me, is this band doesn’t do anything to set themselves apart from the hoards of OTHER power metal bands out there. With thrash, I can forgive this flaw, but the other genres have to do that much more to get my attention and hold it. This band just doesn’t do that.

20. Witchhammer - The Lost Tapes - Touch Of An Angel
As I said earlier, what Norway lacks for quantity, they more than make up for in quality! Witchhammer is a thrash machine! A mid-paced tune with some moshing splashes thrown in. This track is heavy as a truck! Further proof that you don’t have to downtune in order to make riffs sound crushing. I have the 1487 release (thanks to Kurt), and I now most obtain this. It’s my understanding that this was an album that was supposed to be the follow-up to the impressive 1487 but got lost along the way and was only released later on? You can hear a slight difference between this tune and what was found on 1487. That album was chock full of speed and aggression, but had a lot of speed metal tendencies. This sounds like those were shifted to the back and the thrash aggression was brought to the front.

21. Drottnar - Spiritual Battle - Outro
An outro, obviously! I can’t say what Drottnar might sound like on an actual song, cause this ain’t one. It DOES, however, close this disc, and not surprisingly this review as well!

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 8:03 am

Wow, thanks for the excellent review, Ben! It's always entertaining to read what you have to say. Glad you liked most of it. And no, you don't have to come to Norway to steal any Silence CD's. I was offered one, or maybe even more, some years ago, from someone who knew the band. But I never got a reply in return when I asked how many CD's he could get for me. Sad

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Comp Swap VI - The Reviews
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6